Diablo® III

The Frost Hunter [MP10 Viable]

I've been keeping up with this thread for a while now and thought it was interesting and looked fun, I used to use frost arrow wayyyy back in the first few months after the game came out and I loved it. Just happened to drop a 6/30 frostburn the otherday and I am thinking it's a sign! Hopefully over the next couple days I can get some of the other required gear together and give it a shot!
Reply Quote
Yes are you are missing the fact that you haven't optimized your gear for the maximum benefit of Elemental Arrow. No offense but 22% to Elemental arrow out of a possible 56% is very low. I was at 47% but my Mara's Kaleidoscope was only 10% EA and had weak stats so I switched it out for a crafted amulet.

I too am using a crafted ammy over maras, but I will switch to Maras when I find/can afford a good dex/cc/cd/EA roll.

Also I believe you need to hit >30% to EA along with 30% Frostburns to start getting more out of FA than other skills.

My goal is to attain 200k eDPS unbuffed and 50% to EA which is a 14% DML, 12% SoJ, 12% Skull Grasp, and 12% Mara. All of those with optimal DPS stats and a high +EA roll would make this very achievable.

My goals are very similar. I should probably update the guide because 250K dps with 50% EA would take some crazy gear. With my scoundrel Im up to 232k DPS with +37% to EA and 30% to cold skills. Hitting mobs like the Coors Light train

I've been keeping up with this thread for a while now and thought it was interesting and looked fun, I used to use frost arrow wayyyy back in the first few months after the game came out and I loved it. Just happened to drop a 6/30 frostburn the otherday and I am thinking it's a sign! Hopefully over the next couple days I can get some of the other required gear together and give it a shot!

Hey Im glad you liked the build! Nice drop on the frostburns, I dont think I have ever had any legendary drop with prefect rolls before :( must be a sign!

Its not that expensive to gear up for this build, its just expensive to make it elite tier, but even RF builds are expensive at that tier (im talking 400k+ DPS)

10-11% EA SoJs arent very pricey, neither are skull grasps or DMLs, but its when you want that 6/10/30/12%EA SoJ, high dex high vit/20ias/10%crit/14%EA DML, and 12% Skull grasp when things start to get pricey, but what fun would it be if it was all cheap. I like having something to work towards!
Reply Quote
Switched over to a budget build 2 socket Manticore and I'm up to 145k eDPS unbuffed, I'm over 200k fully self-buffed and critting as high as 880k on elites. The slower attack speed doesn't bother me, but I do miss knockback a little.

I agree Moose, it's nice to have a goal. With even a small chunk of gold I can get this up to 250k buffed by swapping out my Magic Find slots for higher Dex rolls and more eHP, which I need desperately.

Edit: <--- Ailurion :)

http://d3up.com/b/696070
Edited by SelfFound#1767 on 6/11/2013 6:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey OP, great thread!

I just dinged 60 on the DH and had some gear for this build already so I slapped it on her and pieced together the rest.

What do you think I should look for next gear wise? I'm sitting at 160k paper doll and 31% EA.

I'm loving the build by far and it's already made me decide to keep the DH as my main.

Keep up the great work!
Edited by Hydrium#1304 on 6/11/2013 6:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
hi guys, thanks for the input.

My 190k dps was with frost burn but with skull grasp, it will drop to about 150k dps. With the skull grasp, i will be at about 38% EA. I will go back and test with all the passives again and log out with all the gears

Which follower do you recommend?
Reply Quote
Hey guys. I posted earlier. I wasn't able to try this build on my monk. I rerolled a wizard and am currently lvl 53. How viable is this build on wizards?
Reply Quote
Switched over to a budget build 2 socket Manticore and I'm up to 145k eDPS unbuffed, I'm over 200k fully self-buffed and critting as high as 880k on elites. The slower attack speed doesn't bother me, but I do miss knockback a little.

I agree Moose, it's nice to have a goal. With even a small chunk of gold I can get this up to 250k buffed by swapping out my Magic Find slots for higher Dex rolls and more eHP, which I need desperately.

Edit: <--- Ailurion :)

http://d3up.com/b/696070

Nice man. Manticore is probably a better bow as you can conserve more hatred and hit harder with fewer shots. I reeeaaally like my calamIty tho :(

Hey OP, great thread!

I just dinged 60 on the DH and had some gear for this build already so I slapped it on her and pieced together the rest.

What do you think I should look for next gear wise? I'm sitting at 160k paper doll and 31% EA.

I'm loving the build by far and it's already made me decide to keep the DH as my main.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks! I would star off by crafting an amulet and new bracers. The bracers give good damage but your HP is kinda low, try to get similar stats with some vit on them. You can get alot more out of your ammy with crafting as well.

After that your setup is pretty good, you just need to start maxing your +EA% and dex (while adding vit of course). Your DML's not bad but the dex roll is kind of low. I think I would get that next after crafting. Dont be afraid to drop IAS for more DPS

In terms of survivability I think people shoot for ~50k HP 4000 Armor, and 400 AR for MP10.

hi guys, thanks for the input.

My 190k dps was with frost burn but with skull grasp, it will drop to about 150k dps. With the skull grasp, i will be at about 38% EA. I will go back and test with all the passives again and log out with all the gears

Which follower do you recommend?

What %cold skills are the frost burns? And I wholeheartedly recommend the Scoundrel (crit passive) with a windforce. The knockback on him is awesome and helps push them out of range for steady aim (althought im sure a buriza works well too, I just prefer the knockback)

06/11/2013 07:59 PMPosted by Apok
Hey guys. I posted earlier. I wasn't able to try this build on my monk. I rerolled a wizard and am currently lvl 53. How viable is this build on wizards?

Dude, your obviously not doing it right with your monk. Get to act 5 like I said earlier
Reply Quote
OP, the frostburn are 6/30%. I will go try and let you know
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 10:28 PMPosted by RaveaAngel
OP, the frostburn are 6/30%. I will go try and let you know

kk. I figured they were decent considering their price. good luck!
Reply Quote
With this build, can I know how long does it take on average to kill an elite pack?
Reply Quote
06/12/2013 02:32 AMPosted by Cameo
With this build, can I know how long does it take on average to kill an elite pack?

Longer than an equal gear RF build I am sure, and probably longer than a Bola/Spike Trap build as well. Which really isn't the point however. As long as it is viable enough to farm MP10 at a reasonable gear level I'm happy because it is fun to play.

I'm not sure if that's what you were getting at, but I don't this is going to be faster than the current popular builds.

I can't speak for MP10 because my gear level has not gotten me there yet, but in MP6 I can get most elite packs in under 45 seconds which isn't great, but isn't awful. I don't find the pace to be too slow.
Reply Quote
06/12/2013 02:32 AMPosted by Cameo
Im at work so I will clock this when I get home :)
Reply Quote
I picked up a pair of 6/30 frostburns a few days a back so I thought I'd give this build a try.

I bought a 10% EA DML, 11% EA skull grasp and 9% EA SOJ.

With my calamity, FA was critting at 4~500k-ish. If I kept the same rings I have on my profile now, they do about 400k-ish. Honestly not that big of a diff, and without my rings I'm barely critting.

I swapped to a 2soc manticore, 1050dps, no %damage, put in 2 perfect star gems, swap out the rare ring for the SOJ, turned on caltroops bait the trap and I was critting at 5~700k, but not as often. Probably because hit chance was at 35%. And it was really slow.

I guess the build sort of works, but I was having trouble in mp4 vota elites and I usually do mp7/8 with my current gear but different skillset. Maybe it works better in a party with a couple tanks.

A fun build nonetheless, but not really my cup of tea.
Edited by The47thSen#6728 on 6/12/2013 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Must show us the mp10 viability
Reply Quote
So I just ran act 1 MP10 with my current setup and after festering + weeping hollow I averaged 104 seconds a pack, so each pack took me around 1:44 secs. My fastest was 1:11 and slowest was 2:49. I still die a bit too much with annoying affixes like wallers and vortex (and careless crits on reflects dmg bastards) but I am sure with better gear I can get kills under a minute each. My gear is by no means godly

edit: and I found a monk SoJ doing it :D
Edited by Moosentist#1655 on 6/12/2013 4:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just my 2 cents, i had about 32% on EA, 6% Cold Damage and 30% Cold skill damage. I was at about 205k DPS with archery, steady aim and cull the weak. I was hitting quite hard about 500 to 600k in some critical hits which is about the same as what i hit with my bola/EB/RF build

However i have a few issues with this build. The requirements of this build means you are going very glass with the 3 passives. There is no nightstalker or vengenance to feed discipline, so i tend to die more. The need to put in 2 rings means i have to forgo both my nats ring and hellfire ring, so i will lose DPS (which is ok) and experience bonus. Our critical chance also drop significantly with the gear losing from gloves and rings, so i am actually not hitting critical as often as bola/EB/RF build. In my case, i probably lose out more because i am wearing a nats 2 pc with the ring, i am losing 7% CC as well.

Overall, it is a fun build, always fun to snare lots of monsters. I like to use it for maybe MP5 DE runs but it is very restrictive in the gears. If i run my bola/EB/RF with archery, steady aim and nightstalker, i will hit harder, survive better and move faster (with more discipline).
Reply Quote
This build definitely lacks survivability at lower gear tiers.

My damage continues to rise, but my eHP stays the same. The cost to increase that and sustain my paper DPS would be quite high.

Killed Ghom on MP6 (The current comfortable level for this gear.) in 45 seconds, and that was with having to move around since I can't eat the AoE damage with my eHP. If I could just stand there and blast him the whole time it would be a 30 second kill.

Tempted to load $10 balance and buy some gold to make some significant improvements, but I will wait for now.
Reply Quote
Hey guys been a little busy but Im still running this :)

I find that MP8 is my current comfort zone with this build. I was thinking maybe nats helm w/ crit and nats boots will be better to land those essential crits. I plan on trying this out in the very near future, should be fun :O

As much as I love this build, in the current patch it probably wont beat RF builds in terms of pure killing speed and survivability (RF w/ manticore snapshot gloom fire forever at feet). What I do like about it though is it is better than alot of the ranged builds out there, has the potential to farm high MPs, and is extremely fun to play (at least to me)

Survivability is very kiting and disc dependent with this build, which does make it much more difficult to sustain as opposed to RF. With 48k hp 3713 armor and 350~400 resists and prep I have been able to clear MP8 quickly and reliably. I dont really run MP10. Certain elite affixes are a pain in the a** and im just not nearly as efficient as MP8. I prefer a much more stress free run. Still lookin to improve though. Will keep yall updated
Edited by Moosentist#1655 on 6/14/2013 1:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Moosentist forget who was running this build a few months ago.. but i remember recommending him Tyreal's chest piece. 14% extra damage to demons goes a long way but doesn't show on paper. He quite liked it and was also not running any Nat gear. Get one with 3 socket high dex roll or high dex/vit split roll and you're set. He was critting for 1mil+.

Then run inna belt/pant for dex combo and 8% holy damage will be nice for calamity/paper/true damage too over top of that beauty DPS roll WH.

Could also try running a WF instead of Calam. Still black damage, but higher top end hits (crits) for sure and not attack speed inflated dps numbers.

With the gear you are using and the types of damage stacking, it is much more true/raw DPS instead of crit chance and crit damage. Very nice.
Reply Quote
Hey guys been a little busy but Im still running this :)

I find that MP8 is my current comfort zone with this build. I was thinking maybe nats helm w/ crit and nats boots will be better to land those essential crits. I plan on trying this out in the very near future, should be fun :O

As much as I love this build, in the current patch it probably wont beat RF builds in terms of pure killing speed and survivability (RF w/ manticore snapshot gloom fire forever at feet). What I do like about it though is it is better than alot of the ranged builds out there, has the potential to farm high MPs, and is extremely fun to play (at least to me)

Survivability is very kiting and disc dependent with this build, which does make it much more difficult to sustain as opposed to RF. With 48k hp 3713 armor and 350~400 resists and prep I have been able to clear MP8 quickly and reliably. I dont really run MP10. Certain elite affixes are a pain in the a** and im just not nearly as efficient as MP8. I prefer a much more stress free run. Still lookin to improve though. Will keep yall updated

Well I fixed up my gear a bit.

Found a 10% Maras and was like... no...!@#$ing...way.

Thanks for the tips :3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]