Diablo® III

The Frost Hunter [MP10 Viable]

I did a lot of skimming this thread, so this may have been addressed. But.. With the SOJ, why not go for a cold SOJ in addition to the EA damage? Really go for the below zero effect?

Of course those could be in the trifecta Mara's category I suppose... just too cost prohibitive.

(Those Frostburns really shine on a cold-based toon. I'd had a decent pair (6/27) a while back for my Blizzard Wizard but mistakenly believed a few naysayers' hype that they sucked and got different gloves.)
Reply Quote
I'm also noticing that critting isn't a problem (for me anyways) but I really need crit damage up a lot.

Probably going to rip the ruby out of my weapon and throw in a emerald.

Also I don't think we can afford to switch to windforce, losing 10% crit will hurt even if you try to use nats.
Reply Quote
@Moosentist forget who was running this build a few months ago.. but i remember recommending him Tyreal's chest piece. 14% extra damage to demons goes a long way but doesn't show on paper. He quite liked it and was also not running any Nat gear. Get one with 3 socket high dex roll or high dex/vit split roll and you're set. He was critting for 1mil+.

Then run inna belt/pant for dex combo and 8% holy damage will be nice for calamity/paper/true damage too over top of that beauty DPS roll WH.

Could also try running a WF instead of Calam. Still black damage, but higher top end hits (crits) for sure and not attack speed inflated dps numbers.

With the gear you are using and the types of damage stacking, it is much more true/raw DPS instead of crit chance and crit damage. Very nice.

The main reason holding me back from tyraels is I do alot of farming in A1, where there arent as many demons as a3/4. I still need to give it a shot though, not like I cant change my farming route to max my efficiency. WF is great for kiting, but I dont think I can sacrifice anymore cc with this build

Thanks for the gear tips though! I will look into them and let u know

I did a lot of skimming this thread, so this may have been addressed. But.. With the SOJ, why not go for a cold SOJ in addition to the EA damage? Really go for the below zero effect?

Of course those could be in the trifecta Mara's category I suppose... just too cost prohibitive.

(Those Frostburns really shine on a cold-based toon. I'd had a decent pair (6/27) a while back for my Blizzard Wizard but mistakenly believed a few naysayers' hype that they sucked and got different gloves.)

the frostburns already give cold damage so all of your other attacks still proc CtW. Is there another reason it would be beneficial that I am missing? :S

I'm also noticing that critting isn't a problem (for me anyways) but I really need crit damage up a lot.

Also I don't think we can afford to switch to windforce, losing 10% crit will hurt even if you try to use nats.

bro, give me that maras :P

yeah WF is great and all but you will lose 15% crit from archery, which is really needed with this build. I think I might also add an emerald to my weapon. Oh man you just gave me something else to test out =O

i just bought a crit nats helm gonna try it out right now. will let you guys know how it goes
Edited by Moosentist#1655 on 6/14/2013 6:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Moosentist forget who was running this build a few months ago.. but i remember recommending him Tyreal's chest piece. 14% extra damage to demons goes a long way but doesn't show on paper. He quite liked it and was also not running any Nat gear. Get one with 3 socket high dex roll or high dex/vit split roll and you're set. He was critting for 1mil+.

Then run inna belt/pant for dex combo and 8% holy damage will be nice for calamity/paper/true damage too over top of that beauty DPS roll WH.

Could also try running a WF instead of Calam. Still black damage, but higher top end hits (crits) for sure and not attack speed inflated dps numbers.

With the gear you are using and the types of damage stacking, it is much more true/raw DPS instead of crit chance and crit damage. Very nice.

The main reason holding me back from tyraels is I do alot of farming in A1, where there arent as many demons as a3/4. I still need to give it a shot though, not like I cant change my farming route to max my efficiency. WF is great for kiting, but I dont think I can sacrifice anymore cc with this build

Thanks for the gear tips though! I will look into them and let u know

the frostburns already give cold damage so all of your other attacks still proc CtW. Is there another reason it would be beneficial that I am missing? :S

bro, give me that maras :P

yeah WF is great and all but you will lose 15% crit from archery, which is really needed with this build. I think I might also add an emerald to my weapon. Oh man you just gave me something else to test out =O

i just bought a crit nats helm gonna try it out right now. will let you guys know how it goes

Emerald in the weapon was a no go. My crits dropped by about 40k.

Let me know how the nats work out though.

Also keep away from my maras D:<
Reply Quote
but its so sezzy D:

lol well i just started trying out a crit nats helm + nats boots and it seems to be killing alot easier actually. The crits dont hit quite as hard but much more often. I got my crit chance up to 54.5% with scoundrels 3% passive from 43% and it feels like a pretty big difference.
Reply Quote
So I'm thinking if we go with Nat's Boots/Helm that's a smooth 10% right there.

Drop the Calamity and pick up Manticore (Ruby/Emerald). That gives us 150-180% more crit damage right there while maintaining our pre-nat crit rate and since we dropped the Zuni boots we probably shouldn't run a black weapon with just a SoJ.

What do you think?
Reply Quote
Caltroops bait the trap really helps with critting.

I tried the manticore, when it crits, the damage is crazy 700k++ but it crits so rarely even at 40% and it was so slow I'd rather stick to a calamity.
Reply Quote
I just bought a 5%CC nat's helm and am now at 56.5% CC and 324% CD. Not bad. This build is starting to build one me. Sorry for the tautology.
Reply Quote
So I'm thinking if we go with Nat's Boots/Helm that's a smooth 10% right there.

Drop the Calamity and pick up Manticore (Ruby/Emerald). That gives us 150-180% more crit damage right there while maintaining our pre-nat crit rate and since we dropped the Zuni boots we probably shouldn't run a black weapon with just a SoJ.

What do you think?

it might work, but I really dont want to lose the aspd or the 15% crit chance. Finally got my cc above 50% and its been working out great. If we switch to manti we lose that 15% crit. I dunno, it might still work lol as your crits will be huge but I just think that we need these speedy crits

either way nats helm+boots probably opens up other gear options (such as manti like you mentioned)

06/15/2013 04:08 AMPosted by The47thSen
I just bought a 5%CC nat's helm and am now at 56.5% CC and 324% CD. Not bad. This build is starting to build one me. Sorry for the tautology.

hehe, yeah man it really does work! no foolin :P

If you guys are having survivability issues I recommend evasive fire - displace. You backflip 30 yards instead of 15, in contrast, vault goes for 35 yards. It is essentially two skills in one. It is a good hatred generator (4 per shot) and can also double as vault (or a really good "OH SHEET" button).

I just started running it and its my new favorite setup :)
Edited by Moosentist#1655 on 6/15/2013 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
My favourite evasive fire run is either cover fire (3 way shotgun) or hard on was it? The one where you don't flip, to conserve on disc. Either that or hungering arrow (no need to aim).

I was fooling around with a WD friend on mp8. It is viable, though I wish I had more damage. I switched steady aim for nightstalker for a wee bit more survivability, dropped my crits from 400k to 300kish. We had a huge trouble with reflect and teleport/vortex mobs, otherwise it was great fun.

I don't usually use elemental arrow so this is probably the n00b in me speaking, but I realised that the split arrows do waaaaaaaay more damage than the initial shot. I saw crits between 5~700k whereas initial shots were between 280~420k.

Or maybe it was just the SOJ inflating the numbers, things were a little bit too hectic to tell which was elite and which was trash.
Reply Quote
Well if we swap out the Calamity to Manticore we only lose 10% crit not 15%.

Using the nat's if we pick up a 4-5% crit helm then we are still up by 2-3% crit with a huge boost to crit damage.

Aspeed I will admit will suck losing however I find myself hatred starved anyways.
Reply Quote
O yeah my bad its is only 10% lol. i guess i just like fast hitting crits but a manti will probably work really well.

bait the trap works really well i started using that last night and I kill even faster now (thanks The47thSen). I didnt get to play around with it much yesterday but I got all day today :D
Reply Quote
Do you have any problems with reflect mobs?
I find that sometimes the damage reflected in a large enough mob is enough to 1 hit me even with gloom on.
Reply Quote
Do you have any problems with reflect mobs?
I find that sometimes the damage reflected in a large enough mob is enough to 1 hit me even with gloom on.

I dont with gloom, but if im not paying attention and fire without gloom and it pops a few crits I die pretty fast =O

but at least with my current eHP, even at MP10 reflect will not kill me with gloom on
Reply Quote
I've changed up how I gear for this build.

I'm sitting at 56% crit, 302% CD which is still kinda meh but better than the lackluster 200% it was before.

I use Nat's Helm/Chest and Inna's belt/pants with Zuni boots.

The added %damage from the belt is nice.

I've also switched to using windforce as well.

I need to get my AR up but that will come with upgrades.
Edited by Hydrium#1304 on 6/16/2013 2:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've changed up how I gear for this build.

I'm sitting at 56% crit, 302% CD which is still kinda meh but better than the lackluster 200% it was before.

I use Nat's Helm/Chest and Inna's belt/pants with Zuni boots.

The added %damage from the belt is nice.

I've also switched to using windforce as well.

I need to get my AR up but that will come with upgrades.

I tried this setup but even with expensive gear I lost around 6k sheet dps. Dunno if im doing something wrong.

Im gonna add a write up to the guide sometime today. I have gained alot of experience running this build and have some tips id like to put in the main post
Reply Quote
Updated with a tips section! Feel free to make any suggestions and I will consider adding them :D
Reply Quote
I've never been particularly good at keeping my distance, so I would swap steady aim for either nightstalker or brooding.
Reply Quote
View profile
After reading this thread, I decided to give FA a shot (literally). With a 6%/30% set Frostburns, my Frost Arrows were critting around 400-500k. When I switched to my normal dps gloves, the damage dropped to around 300k.

The interesting thing I have noticed is that with a Windforce, I have the following crowd control skills going on all at once:

Frost Arrow - Cold Dmg (slow)
Bola Thunderball - (stun)
Caltrops (slow)
Knockback

Mobs literally took forever to get to me.
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 12:01 AMPosted by The47thSen
I've never been particularly good at keeping my distance, so I would swap steady aim for either nightstalker or brooding.

i just feel that steady aim is critical to this being a "kiting" build. if you cant keep enemies off of you you arent killing faste nough maybe, but I shalst add this to the guide!

After reading this thread, I decided to give FA a shot (literally). With a 6%/30% set Frostburns, my Frost Arrows were critting around 400-500k. When I switched to my normal dps gloves, the damage dropped to around 300k.

The interesting thing I have noticed is that with a Windforce, I have the following crowd control skills going on all at once:

Frost Arrow - Cold Dmg (slow)
Bola Thunderball - (stun)
Caltrops (slow)
Knockback

Mobs literally took forever to get to me.

sounds like a good crowd control setup. i like it!

those frostburns really help us hit those big crits, while also conserving hatred since they give no aspd :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]