Diablo® III

Dinklefess / Silver32 Giveaway (Organization)

As a gamer, a giveaway that is essentially the end result/goal is probably the very last thing I want. I want to slowly work my way to that magical uber set and in the specific case of D3 think a single piece giveaway/contest would be far better and promote continued playing and forum contribution than suddenly going from MP0 to 10 because you can brown nose guide writers better for a few months.

As for a charity to pick there are lots you can make online contribution to from PayPal. Since Silver would get the 2 beez for the set he'd just sell the gold and make a donation. Trustworthy enough since he had te set to begin with. I think you are confusing the winner gets gold. I'm suggesting the winner gets the set by bidding gold. If you want to limit bidders to folks with under 500 elite kills, so be it. That gold is then donated by Silver to whatever. If still prefer the single item giveaway to "pay it forward" type where all the 250k dps folks donate a nice item to give out however - to regulars with terribad gear or a new monk who has no LoH and dies a lot.
Edited by Davlok#1847 on 6/6/2013 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I do like Davlok's idea, too though. I'm always a fan of charities.
Reply Quote
Good idea, Nameless. When I named this thread "Organization", I had two things in mind :

1. Completing the set (pretty much done - more on this in a bit);
2. Determining giveaway method, in consultation with community.

I quite like this idea of yours. Guys, let's start bringing them in as well.

On a side note - lost bid on gloves...=( So, sitting on a bit over 350 mil, and I'll determine what's the best way to upgrade the set. I'm wearing it right now, btw. =)

How about instead of trying to get a great glove for 350M, why not give that gold to the winner of the set instead? I think high end amulet, glove, bracer, shoulders are very expansive. If you are missing any piece from the ones I mentioned, it is probably better to just give that gold to the winner and let him craft it instead (or maybe the winner will already have a good crafted item)

I guess it could be somewhat weird to give incomplete set but it is probably more cost effective.
Reply Quote
I'd like to pepper the above with my own comments here.

Charities are all good, sure. But - which charity? And, most importantly, who gets to decide? I mean - my mother died of colon cancer, so of course, I'd love to donate that money towards a cancer society of some sort. But, being Canadian, I'll of course be partial to the Canadian Cancer Society, which might not go over so well with our American forum members. And I'm sure others will have causes they're just as partial to.

Unless discretion is given to me to choose?

And about the whole going-from-MP0-to-MP10 end-game thing....I actually happen to disagree, wholeheartedly. I play in MP10 exclusively, and so do pretty much all of the people in my friends list. Does that mean I've stopped playing? Not at all! Does that mean I've stopped upgrading? My best D3 friend, AyeReezy, can testify to the number of times I've proclaimed that "My monk is DONE!!", only to have him call me on some upgrade or other I've done...

This set is FAR from complete. I would never dare call it end-game. It's got some good items, some decent ones, a couple of mediocre ones - and a couple of REALLY good ones. But overall, it's far removed from Dinkle's original idea of a BiS giveaway, and its deficiencies are quite easily seen (to me, anyways). In the short time I've spent looking, I've found a number of upgrades for it for the 300 mil I've got - rings, gloves and MH come to mind.

The point? The set is not complete. I have every faith that one of the regulars would continue to improve upon it - because room for improvement there most clearly is.

06/06/2013 11:20 AMPosted by Davlok
because you can brown nose guide writers better for a few months

I'm sorry...? I mean - this very well could be the limitations of the written medium, and I suppose I should temper what I'm about to say before obtaining further clarification from you, Davlok - but just to be clear, I have never written a guide. =) I hadn't even started thinking about WHO said regular(s) would be that could be in the running. Of course, if the list of potentials really comes up short, a charity will be the only option. And to be clear, I'm not opposed to a charity. I just don't want an option dismissed just yet - especially if said dismissal is on grounds that are, to me, insufficient.

By the way, I appreciate the trust placed in me if this were to turn into a charity, where I would handle real-life funds. I will do everything I can to live up to the community's expectations in this regard.
Edited by Silver32#1142 on 6/6/2013 11:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
As a gamer, a giveaway that is essentially the end result/goal is probably the very last thing I want. I want to slowly work my way to that magical uber set and in the specific case of D3 think a single piece giveaway/contest would be far better and promote continued playing and forum contribution than suddenly going from MP0 to 10 because you can brown nose guide writers better for a few months.

As for a charity to pick there are lots you can make online contribution to from PayPal. Since Silver would get the 2 beez for the set he'd just sell the gold and make a donation. Trustworthy enough since he had te set to begin with. I think you are confusing the winner gets gold. I'm suggesting the winner gets the set by bidding gold. If you want to limit bidders to folks with under 500 elite kills, so be it. That gold is then donated by Silver to whatever. If still prefer the single item giveaway to "pay it forward" type where all the 250k dps folks donate a nice item to give out however - to regulars with terribad gear or a new monk who has no LoH and dies a lot.

Gotcha, I was thinking you meant the proceeds get donated somewhere in game which didn't make sense to me. An actual charity makes a lit more sense.

Thanks for clarifying. I like the idea, but the only problem is big flippers who think they can flip the gear for profit will bid it up and the people who actually need a better set wont be able to afford the thing.

If we were to do a charity auction we should have the starting bid be what the set is worth in order to dissuade flippers from taking advantage our goal.That way they are paying more than what its worth, its going towards a good cause, and it wont be flipped. but then again, the original goal of helping someone who is short on gold is out the window.

The charity thing is a good idea but I just see too many issues with it. If people have some ideas on how to combat these issues lets hear 'em!
Reply Quote
06/06/2013 11:39 AMPosted by Gungnir
How about instead of trying to get a great glove for 350M, why not give that gold to the winner of the set instead? I think high end amulet, glove, bracer, shoulders are very expansive.

For the cost of upgrades for this set - I think I've partly answered that above. With regards to giving the gold to the winner - my first thought was : "No, people usually would have no clue how to best spend 350 mil to upgrade that set." BUT, I suppose if we're going for a regular, there's a good chance that person might. So, it is an idea.

But, the OCD set-builder in me just does not like the idea of giving a set that could so easily be improved on, while I actually HAVE the cash to do it....=)
Reply Quote
06/06/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Tarzan
The charity thing is a good idea but I just see too many issues with it. If people have some ideas on how to combat these issues lets hear 'em!

Actually, your idea of setting a high starting bid makes sense in this respect. What other issues do you see? Only by actually pointing them out can we try to resolve them.

You are right, however, that if we set a high starting bid, helping the "needy" is out the window. I guess I'll have to re-read Dinkle's original post, and see what his actual intent was. Not that we HAVE to remain true to his original vision (if there even was one in this particular respect).
Edited by Silver32#1142 on 6/6/2013 11:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/06/2013 11:43 AMPosted by Silver32
But, being Canadian, I'll of course be partial to the Canadian Cancer Society

+1 million
Reply Quote
wow... nice set... however this turns out, will be good for the winner.

Not all people will turn around and sell, but I can see that happening. I'm still using most of the gear from JTangoKilo's giveaway long time ago.... since paragon level 3? A bit embarrassed that I still couldn't upgrade the gears significantly.
Reply Quote
06/06/2013 11:49 AMPosted by Silver32
How about instead of trying to get a great glove for 350M, why not give that gold to the winner of the set instead? I think high end amulet, glove, bracer, shoulders are very expansive.

For the cost of upgrades for this set - I think I've partly answered that above. With regards to giving the gold to the winner - my first thought was : "No, people usually would have no clue how to best spend 350 mil to upgrade that set." BUT, I suppose if we're going for a regular, there's a good chance that person might. So, it is an idea.

But, the OCD set-builder in me just does not like the idea of giving a set that could so easily be improved on, while I actually HAVE the cash to do it....=)

Oh I think you mis-understood me some what. I didn't mean to give dump truck of gold to the winner and let him build it from scratch. I think that's a bad idea even to the regulars (once they get the gold they might blow it all on one spot). I've heard that with okay RNG luck and some funds, crafting is much more efficient for shoulder and bracer. Need good RNG or lots of funds for glove and amulet.

I was merely suggesting that if you don't have one of those spots filled in yet, it might not be a bad idea to give the winner gold to craft those spot(hopefully only 1~2 spot). Since this set is pretty high end, buying fitting level item for those spot might be too expansive. I wouldn't really know though, I rarely look at high end AH market.

And lol on the bold part :D
Reply Quote
You guys are great for doing stuff like this!
Reply Quote
wow this giveaway is getting better and better!!!
go monk forum!! =D
Reply Quote
Honestly, I think Silver has done a good job setting up his cred and working with people. A lot of regulars know him and have donated some big pieces to this set which shows implicit trust. I know I would trust the choice he would make. I am not so sure its a good idea to leave it to a vote or nominations by the community. Any way you look at it there is a chance that someone will just walk with this gear and sell it. I think, unfortunately, this is just the risk you have to take with a giveaway.
Edited by PhoenixAP#1438 on 6/6/2013 1:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Charities are all good, sure. But - which charity? And, most importantly, who gets to decide?

The actual charity can be picked by the bidder even - I am bidding 2.5beez for this uber set and hope to donate to United Way of Hawaii, because that's my home state. Or the donators can get 1 vote per "slot" donated. Or whatever the thread decides, etc

And about the whole going-from-MP0-to-MP10 end-game thing....I actually happen to disagree, wholeheartedly. I play in MP10 exclusively, and so do pretty much all of the people in my friends list. Does that mean I've stopped playing? Not at all! Does that mean I've stopped upgrading? My best D3 friend, AyeReezy, can testify to the number of times I've proclaimed that "My monk is DONE!!", only to have him call me on some upgrade or other I've done...

Valid point, I'm just saying its very hard to distinguish because a (incoming dirty word) "casual" and a random person who visited the forum, or a "regular" who spends 10x more time on the forums than playing.

because you can brown nose guide writers better for a few months

I'm sorry...? I mean - this very well could be the limitations of the written medium, and I suppose I should temper what I'm about to say before obtaining further clarification from you, Davlok - but just to be clear, I have never written a guide. =) I hadn't even started thinking about WHO said regular(s) would be that could be in the running. Of course, if the list of potentials really comes up short, a charity will be the only option. And to be clear, I'm not opposed to a charity. I just don't want an option dismissed just yet - especially if said dismissal is on grounds that are, to me, insufficient.

By the way, I appreciate the trust placed in me if this were to turn into a charity, where I would handle real-life funds. I will do everything I can to live up to the community's expectations in this regard.

Heh, I was just being sarcastic. If it turns into a popularity vote for whoever casual who friended the geared donators/forum regulars to carry thru ubers and compliments every 5 minute, then so be it. I wasn't saying this giveaway organizer was the one being "warmed up to". I just get bored and wanted to give my opinion to a forum I visit that I'd rather see a giving community with 1st world problems give to something higher like a charity - provided Blizz gets their cut! lol /banflippers

ps - Imagine Dragons ftw

edit: can't get quotes to work, or spelling
Edited by Davlok#1847 on 6/6/2013 2:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What are the stats you are looking for on the offhand exactly if you still need one I might have one I could give as I'm rarely using it anymore.
Reply Quote
Really good idea, please read Silver let me know what you think.

We don't have to be hasty. There are some other cool options.

One that comes to my mind.

Already you can tell there are some cool Monks out there who just want to have fun in different ways and interact with each other. One of those things is creating a Monk set together. So we can keep doing this. We can just keep finding upgrades for our Monk set.

Here is when it gets fun, and the giveaways begin. Once someone finds//donates an upgrade to our Monk Community set. The older item that gets replaced is the item that will be given away. So instead of giving away a whole set, we will be giving out items like One item a Day if we can live up to it.

The awesome thing about this is. Like most others said. A lot of people will just pick nick the set apart and use a handful of the items and sell the rest off. Which is understandable. Some will sell//flip the whole thing.

THIS way, players can actually win an UPGRADE on a certain piece they have been craving//looking for.

Some can argue this idea does defeat the purpose of making a whole set and stopping when its complete. Which is kind of true. So I dono, its hard to come up with a solid way to do this. Thought id just share this idea and see what you think. Either way, I'm down for anyway the majority wants to do things.
Edited by Teckno#1555 on 6/6/2013 3:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think Teckno's idea is kind of neat! The eternal giveaway with some future gift of an incredible BIS set... but until that day it just keeps trading up. Kind of a neat meta monk project.
Edited by PhoenixAP#1438 on 6/6/2013 4:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Alright, a couple more points.

06/06/2013 02:37 PMPosted by Davlok
If it turns into a popularity vote for whoever casual who friended the geared donators/forum regulars to carry thru ubers and compliments every 5 minute, then so be it.

What?? I'm not sure where you get this idea that there are forum regulars, and all the others are simple sycophants who constantly try to curry favour. I don't know about all the other regulars, but I sure as heck don't get complimented every 5 minutes. As for the people I have carried on ubers, they have contributed something - their time with hunting for keys - and therefore I consider that an even exchange. (Besides, I often have to clean my friends list because every once in a while, when trying to add someone, I get a reminder it's close to getting full, which is not good for people trying to reach me for gearing advice.)

Or is it me being too dense to realize I'm being trolled....? =)

As for the popularity contest aspect of it or what have you - well, that's actually exactly the point! If we do decide to go this way, the community would decide on an appropriate beneficiary, and the community would decide on someone they deem worthy, based on the weight/frequency/value of their contributions to the forums. I know Nameless had a few people in mind, and I'm sure it's not because they constantly sucked up to him. (Heck - if someone sucks up to Nameless all the time, it's me!) If (for example) Nameless is nominating someone, I trust his judgement. That being said, I'd also expect any nomination to be somewhat validated - not just some random name-throwing, but to me, that just went without saying.

06/06/2013 02:57 PMPosted by Calamity
What are the stats you are looking for on the offhand exactly if you still need one I might have one I could give as I'm rarely using it anymore.

I know a couple people have asked me something similar (and I appreciate the generosity, thanks!), but I'll just make an overall response to this : instead of asking me what I'm looking for, post up what you have. I'll give you an example.

I'm trying to upgrade the nat's ring, potentially (haven't yet determined if that's the most cost-effective way to spend the 350 mil - which I am going to spend, btw). There's several ways I could go about it. I could go avg dmg/100+ dex/vit, or replace that vit with life%. Or, I could go avg dmg/crit chc/vit or life%. Or, I could look for 100+dex, socket and vit. Or, I could do crit chc/crit dmg/vit (unlikely at this price point).

You get the idea? Part of the art of building a set is being familiar with the cornucopia of options that allow meeting target stats, and knowing which can be worked with, and which are unfeasible. So, again - show me what you got, I'll see if I can integrate it. (If you're not comfortable doing that in public for some reason, add me in game and we'll discuss.)

Which brings me nicely into my next point.

Once someone finds//donates an upgrade to our Monk Community set. The older item that gets replaced is the item that will be given away. So instead of giving away a whole set, we will be giving out items like One item a Day if we can live up to it.

Interesting idea. But, the thing is, I've built hundreds of sets over these last few months, and I have very exacting standards. (That's why it usually takes me 4-7 days to build a set I'm happy with.) For this to work, you'd have to count on two things :

1. the generosity of the community (which, so far, is without reproach!) and
2. Finding an item that integrates well into the whole thing.

I'm afraid I might puzzle - or even outright offend - some people by turning down items some would consider to be very, very good. But like I said, I refuse to compromise the quality of the set, and most especially the EHP.

Tell ya what. I'll do it - partly out of curiosity, and also partly because it just GRATES on me that we're so close to 200K DPS I can TASTE it (although, to be fair, we're not - 12K is a BIG jump when you're already at 188K....), and my dream giveaway would be 200K DPS, OWE-free, and we're just so close...=)

So, let's see what we can do! I'll give it a week, to test. This will validate Teckno's idea, and it'll also give us time to sort out how we're giving it away.

Which, again, leads me into my last point.

06/06/2013 03:27 PMPosted by Teckno
Either way, I'm down for anyway the majority wants to do things.

At the risk of sounding authoritarian, I feel the need to clarify one thing, because it has come up a few times (although subtly) before. I did say I would consult the community, and I love getting ideas and feedback from the group. But at some point, I'll make a call, and I just want it to be crystal-clear that there is a possibility it might NOT be what the majority expresses. I'll certainly try to make everybody happy, but I'll also follow my judgement. Just saying. As for the people who donated - they did so freely, not expecting to have any further involvement (and they are conspicuously absent from the discussion thus far!).

I am reminded of a quote by Gen. Colin Powell on this (and I'm paraphrasing) : "Loyalty, to me, is this : Before a decision is made, I expect you to tell me your honest opinion, regardless of how angry you think it'll make me. But, once the decision is made, loyalty is accepting the decision, and acting it out, as though it were your own." Kind of summarizes how I feel about the whole thing.
Reply Quote
Well You quoted me <_< soooooooooo just to make things clear. I got your back on whatever you choose. ^_^
Reply Quote
Awww after reading this after the 2nd day (read this yesterday when it was just starting), I was hoping to nominate myself :P, but I rarely contribute here, and really play with a few friends, so I don't think I qualify
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]