Diablo® III

Blizzard why don't you care?

06/07/2013 05:49 AMPosted by Ghostwheel
I've randomly just stopped my character in a middle of a fight just to see if I can survive 10 seconds - it's usually fine for 10 seconds but any longer than that is pushing death. Only problem is that it's more like 50 seconds downtime as witnessed countless times by others and testing (http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7339954926)

Thanks for posting this thread, seems quite interessting. If there are really 50 seconds downtime there is nothing you could do to prevent your char from being killed if there are enemies nearby.

Edit: Besides playing in a group of course ;)
Edited by Hirgie#2918 on 6/7/2013 6:09 AM PDT
To everyone self centered like softcore player troll Rocked who plvl his HC char and says to look at yourself when you get disconnected, you're thinking wrong. Even if it never happened to you, here in HC, for those who played since the beginning, we ALL experienced lag, dc, server crash. You come back here in the forum and when there's 300 posts about errors and DC/crash, come tell me that it's my own internet connection.

It's a network based game. The issue could be client side, server side, or uncontrolled somewhere in the middle. Who cares if YOU lag at home, the game design is just bad enough in this respect. Network based application should be handling network connectivity issues and this game clearly wasn't build around hardcore. If you dc in softscore, it's just annoying. If you dc here, well losing your 500h character due to a bad software design, it's frustrating.

I and many people have written so many time about the subject... we all know that it won't change. It would require effort from the dev to implement a game state saving server side.

Anyway, I'm just really annoyed when I see these people not knowing what they are talking about and insulting about others about this subject.

I never died to DC, I got DC/game crash a couple of times, not often luckily. Even happened to see the whole party kicked out of the game. But I know people who died from it and I know that it will probably kill me some day.
Sorry that all the people complaining are having so many problems. I don't mean this post to sound "elitist" (if it does, I apologize ahead of time) but I'm glad Grimiku posted that information as they are some very helpful tips for many people. Unfortunately many players are under the impression that "my computer is fine, my internet is fine, it has to be Blizzard" and you won't bother reviewing those articles to see if maybe, just maybe, the problem IS actually on your end. Hence you will continue to disconnect and continue to have problems, while you play an online game on a wifi connection, while using Skype and while downloading movies and while your girlfriend is watching a movie on her iPad and while you have a spyware-laden computer that sucks your bandwidth and all the while believing that everything is Blizzard's fault.
Same here, all my deaths are my own. I seldom disconnect and when I do it is almost always on my end.
View profile
i agree, every now and again we see a blizz server crash and it causes a huge extinction in hardcore :(.

even if this only happens once or twice, all it takes is once :(. that is the biggest argument i can see. if 99% of the time its our connection, and 1% of the time its blizz servers (either stressed, or just a random crash or hiccup), than that 1% makes it completely unacceptable

seriously though, removing the timer wont ruin HC. some people will try to exploit, some people will still die, but hundreds will be saved
06/07/2013 07:12 AMPosted by LordCaric
Sorry that all the people complaining are having so many problems. I don't mean this post to sound "elitist" (if it does, I apologize ahead of time) but I'm glad Grimiku posted that information as they are some very helpful tips for many people. Unfortunately many players are under the impression that "my computer is fine, my internet is fine, it has to be Blizzard" and you won't bother reviewing those articles to see if maybe, just maybe, the problem IS actually on your end. Hence you will continue to disconnect and continue to have problems, while you play an online game on a wifi connection, while using Skype and while downloading movies and while your girlfriend is watching a movie on her iPad and while you have a spyware-laden computer that sucks your bandwidth and all the while believing that everything is Blizzard's fault.

This. Especially if playing on a wireless connection(like I do), any kind of other interrupts(skype, netflix, 3 ppl connected to the wireless at once) could hurt your connection.

I also find its a good practice to restart the modem before I play. Also I find routinely shutting down/restarting the computer helps. You have to make sure all the startup jobs you dont' want are turned off as well, like Grimiku posted. You're playing Hardcore on an online game. Extra precaution should be taken to ensure your characters survival, is all aspects.

I have actually *never* disconnected from D3 since coming back ~3 months ago. Could just be luck, but if it was all Blizzard making people disconnect you think I would have one in there by now.
Just my two cents.
I used to get red pings and DCed once when I used to play over wireless - this single DC was due to my wireless modem dropping my internet connection. Got myself wired and have not had red ping even once since. I can confirm that I've not had a server side DC even once in over 1k hours.

What I've had trouble with are client crashes and the occasional WW rubber band that have combined claimed a p26, p59 and p75 from me. The crash reports indicate something going wrong with my video card or its driver. As I play on a MAC I wasn't even aware there are driver updates and stuff until this post so I am going to check for the combo update that was lined to when I get home tonight.

On a constructive note, implementing auto pause upon DC or high latency (in solo games at least) would be a welcome feature. That being said, it might be more difficult than it sounds to implement reconnecting back into the same game
The timer mechanic was developed to address the issue of those looking to cheat death by disconnecting. This is a mechanic aimed for HC players as SC players would not disconnect their network cables (slows down farming). Unfortunately, it appears that the developers did not properly think of the event of DCs which i believe happens more often than intentional disconnections - this in the long terms results in a negative experience for the average player.

Been playing since launch (with about a 6 month gap inbetween) and was fully aware of the 10 sec timer - that's something that I fully accepted as the danger of what that implied is made clear to me. However, the actual delay in disconnections (upwards of 50 secs) is quite frankly a kick in the balls.

There is no easy way to differentiate an intentional DC and a normal DC - the original conception of this mechanic is to address the issue of intentional DCs.
[edit]
Removed an unnecessary part.
[/edit]
Edited by Ghostwheel#2147 on 6/7/2013 8:51 AM PDT
Edited by jonclau#1835 on 9/4/2015 12:25 PM PDT
I've never had a DC

34K elite kills....
I had about 5-10 DCs
60k elite kills
1 barb with 3mil ehp died to a white mob on mp3, imaging how much time the char stayed online after DC

yet I cross the street every day and I have never had a car accident
but car accidents happen every day

the problem is not about DC, its a net based game, DC will always happen
the problem is about how blizzard handles DC, with so many suggestions put forward by this amazing HC community, after 1 year this is the blue post we got

Good luck with getting the problem resolved, and thanks for your patience!
View profile
^pretty much

i need a wired connection, should be moving at the end of the month. then ill hardline myself and be without worry (ive had maybe 2 client crashes in 1600 hours)

After I exchanged the modem, I haven't had another disconnect since.

I believe a lot of client side issues could probably be solved by replacing the ISP supplied router. Mine was terrible when I changed provider (disconnects my wireless several times a day) and I replaced it with a good one.

Generally speaking, I have to admit that server side seems a lot more stable since launch. At this time, the most we can do is mitigate things as much as possible at or end (ie. update firmware, drivers etc)
View profile
You guys should take the advice of @Lyracx

You can search your even log history as well. I have been playing since launch and have found only 3 of these.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 16/08/2012 11:18:56 AM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Al-PC
Description:
The program Diablo III.exe version 1.0.3.10485 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 930
Start Time: 01cd7bb6b75d8903
Termination Time: 30
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe
Report Id:

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-16T15:18:56.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>5869</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Al-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Diablo III.exe</Data>
<Data>1.0.3.10485</Data>
<Data>930</Data>
<Data>01cd7bb6b75d8903</Data>
<Data>30</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

You guys may be surprised at what you find. Even with this in the event log, it is possible that my unstable overclock was the culprit. I started the game then pulled my internet connection and immediately recieved the dreaded "error 3007'. Upon checking the event log it shows as a DNS error and not a game error.
Edited by KillerElite#1853 on 6/7/2013 9:37 AM PDT
I don't understand why people white knight Blizzard's choice to not implement a reconnect feature..

Yes, sometimes it is not Blizzard's fault that DC's occur. Yes, they still occur to everyone eventually and yes, a reconnect feature can solve the problem. Rather than stick your fingers in your eyes and cover your eyes, saying, "it has never happened to me so it isn't a problem", why not embrace an enhancement to the game. The internet is not a 100% reliable service for anyone.
I am not sure why so many of you HC players want to trash the OP like you have done. He has a valid complaint about how BLIZZARD’S game handles DC's and you all want to tell him how you have never had a DC or how great your internet/pc is. No one should ever lose a character to a DC!

This is a real issue and it needs to be addressed by Blizzard and ALL of you HC players should be supporting him and not trashing him because he is complaining about it. This affects all of us!
Edited by Azamo#1477 on 6/7/2013 2:09 PM PDT
06/07/2013 01:58 AMPosted by DreadTalon
It isn't financially viable to invest in implementing DC protection for people who have already paid for the game.

This. Quite simply.
when will Blizzard admit there is an issue with there servers and give a pause game on high ping or
lower the log out everyone complains about rubber banding we all know its an issue with the game client i have a SCREEN SHOT OF GAME LOCKING UP if you like i can post i have 21mbs adsl2
no issues with youtube ect no dc issues in other games my drivers are up to date my computer is
well looked after yet ive lost 4 accounts now due to dc issues 3 guys were playing with me no red bar
in latancy screen yet 10 sec delay with server loading gameplay ..

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/3796/diablo3lockup.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/diablo3lockup.jpg/
Edited by il0v32r00t#6530 on 6/7/2013 5:59 PM PDT
I'm sorry to hear that you've been having latency issues, ZeroAffex. Have you tried working with our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5386227/"]Technical Support[/url] team on the forums to try and find a solution? You could also take a look at our support site, and possibly [url="https://sea.battle.net/support/en/games/diablo3"]submit a ticket[/url] about the issue. It sounds like you enjoy the game when it's working correctly, and if they can help, then it might be worth the time.

Out of curiosity, are you using the Whirlwind build with your Barbarians? Some players have been reporting latency issues specifically with Whirlwind. Here is a quote from Lylirra on how to help minimize any external issues that might be adding to the problem, and a [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796451961?page=4#74"]link [/url]to her post on the subject.

1. Ensure that your [url="https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/optimising-your-internet-connection-windows"]network connection is optimized[/url].
    2. Make sure that no other program is interfering with the game by running in a [url="http://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/shutting-down-background-applications"]Selective Startup[/url].
    3. Check for [url="https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/driverupdates"]updates to any drivers[/url].

Good luck with getting the problem resolved, and thanks for your patience!

This doesn't help. At all. The only thing I run is D3. Everything else is up to date. I have no latency issues. And I'm running D3 from a USB drive.
All I want is a system like starcraft where if you DC the game is instantly paused and waits for the player to return. I'm no tech wiz but I can't see how that isn't possible.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]