Diablo® III

Cains death. Misunderstood?

So i recently returned to the world of D3 and after going through act I 6 times from leveling a character and a half i started to notice a few things surrounding cains death, and remembering a few posts that were complaining about the inglorious death given to one of the most iconic characters of the diablo universe. "the butterfly lady spit on him" was one of my favorites.

Here is what i found/noticed as i started to pay more attention to the conversations and events through the game.

I believe that while Magda appeared to deliver the death blow for Cain the true cause of his death was diablo himself. Something even the characters in the game do not fully grasp, considering they make a witch hunt for Magda in act II. What do i mean and where do i get this? Well first lets look at the cause of death for which i have two theories that surround diablo.

We know that later on Diablo is in fact inherent in Leah and is the source of her "unexplained powers" and that "its only happened a few times and only when i was in grave danger". This being a clue saying i believe Diablo was in a sense protecting himself, due to needing Leah to be alive to carry out his plans. So back to Cain. Diablo killed Cain by either....

1) During the scene in the home he provides enough power to destroy the cultists that are endangering leah but not enough to damage Magda who appeared to have Cains life in her hands.If you notice the placement in the room the cultists that have Tyreal are closer to Leah then Tyreal is. and all the other cultists are closer to Leah then Cain Magda or Tyreal. SO, during the blast the cultists are turned to mush, but the now mortal Tyreal, the witch Magda and Deckard Cain are all in a linear path just far away enough not to be destroyed by Diablo, so in effect he wanted Cain to die and therefore did not provide enough of an attack to kill Magda, setting Deckard free in time to have a recoverable chance from her magic.

Why wouldnt he just blast them all and destroy cain himself and take out magda and tyreal, well, remember diablo still needs belial and azmodan to be part of the soul stone before he can become the prime evil. taking out tyreal and magda may have eliminated 2 strong factors in the group of heros chasing magda to caldeum thus finding the soul stone and starting the events for the rest of the game, including Diablos return.

2) Perhaps Diablo DID in fact provide a strong enough blast to kill everyone in the room, but magda was protected by her bubble and tyreal did survive a fall from the heavens, perhaps a blast from a weak Diablo vessel wouldnt be strong enough to kill him. Cain being the badass we all love was able to resist the damage long enough to restore the sword and then collapse in his death. In saying this you can justify that Magdas butterfly kiss was not the death blow, but diablos blast was infact what finished Deckard Cain off.

Also, as a side note, after the event Leah laments that "if only i could control these powers, i could have saved uncle deckard". She either 1) knows the blast wasnt strong enough to hurt magda so she couldnt prevent his death, enabling scenario 1. Or she knows it was too strong and that it could have hurt Cain further then he already was, enabling scenario 2. Remembering at this time she is unaware of her role in diablos plans, and wouldnt know it was Diablo causing his death directly or indirectly, therefore blaming herself.

Just some thinking/ theorizing i had for the story line that perhaps some didnt consider when raging about cains inglorious death. If in fact this was the true line of the story that perhaps was meant to be an undertone from blizzard then i would say Cains death was justifiably glorious. The 2 time knowledge provider that lead to Diablos demise was finally erased by Diablo himself, thus in his mind furthering the chance of his victory. Diablo after all is one crafty b@$tard.
Reply Quote
Very interesting .............. It reminds me why couldn't Tyreal sense that diablo inherent in Leah.
Reply Quote
Yeah, i think that one might of had something to do with him being mortal. Not 100% sure though. It did seem that the only one who was aware of what was going on was Azmodan. In the CG cutscene between acts II and III its obvious he isnt talking to Leah "one by one our brothers fell into your trap". Leah and the D3 cast have nothing to do with the other evils death, nor were there any traps set, we basically walked in and punched Belials teeth in. And why would he say "our" brothers to leah. Its pretty obvious he knows diablos in there and is talking to him directly.
Reply Quote
I have heard Tyreal said "I have sense Belial in the air and his lies in the winds" " I sense Asmodan some where in this world but I do not know where he is yet" He can sense both Belial and Asmodan but not Diablo in Leah. why is that?
Reply Quote
Maybe just cuz hes not looking for him? he thinks all they need to do is kill belial and azmodan, hes not even concerned with diablo.
Reply Quote
because he's losing all of his power. >.< drop out angels.
Reply Quote
it would be an interesting turn of events... at least it would "band aid" the hilarious death cain had.

I have heard Tyreal said "I have sense Belial in the air and his lies in the winds" " I sense Asmodan some where in this world but I do not know where he is yet" He can sense both Belial and Asmodan but not Diablo in Leah. why is that?

azmodan and belial were physically present on the world, while diablo wasn't, it was only a "seed" of him inside leah, a human vessel, and a pretty inocent-looking one. I don't have problem in accepting tyrael couldn't sense diablo on her.
Reply Quote
because he's losing all of his power. >.< drop out angels.

First, this made me chuckle.Tyreal is now MORE powerful than he was as an ArchAngel.
People dont realise this.
Tyreal is now human, humans are.... Nephalem...
Nephalem are so powerful, they made the Worldstone BIND their powers...
with it gone...
Nephalems are slowly getting back their powers, some a LOT faster than others. (Us for exemple)

06/09/2013 08:57 PMPosted by Kretanix89
Diablo after all is one crafty b@$tard.

i LOVE this idea... that Deckard Cain was corrupted since Diablo 2 since he was the SOLE survivor in Tristram, was held up in a cage for us to save...
He would then later help us do his plan, like Kretanix89 said, and fulfill his destiny....

... but i beleive... him taking over Leah was PART of his plan, not his ultimate goal.

He didnt want to kill Tyreal, not yet, but this is another story ;),

His ultimate goal... simple, he is the Lord of Terror... he wants to terrorize the universe, he wants people to be afraid... the more beings terrorized, the stronger he gets but i digress....

All i can say is, he has a master plan, and its a hell of a lot more complicated than we might think.

I beleive he wants to be reborn... check out the "Animated Short "Wrath" Diablo 3" in youtube...
I beleive he wanted to die as "Leah"... he wants to be rid of a host...
What better way to gain powers than to be contained in a faulty soulstone with every other Evil... and have it crumble so he can be free...

...but again, i'm getting off topic.

You sir, have brought up a damned valid good point.

Though he might not have been fully corrupt to the point of Adria.... it might have been similar to Leah's corruption.
Reply Quote
Tyrael is not Nephalaem just mortal angels cann't become Nephalem becuase Nephalaem are offspring of angels and demons. The parents cannot become the children.
Reply Quote
"... did you ever make anything happen? Anything you couldn't explain when you were angry or scared?"

"unexplained powers" and that "its only happened a few times and only when i was in grave danger".

Yer a wizard, Leah.
Reply Quote
Maghda had no reason to kill Cain at all. She needed him alive to make that sword. And I don't think that she dared to "accidentally" deal a killing blow because she was affraid from Belial. If she kills the only man (probably, because there aren't many demons who can reforge an angelic tool) who can reforge the sword, Belial would be pissed. Because as she said, the sword means everything to him. (I doubt it... but lame butterfly like baddies like to use phrases like this).
On the other hand, Diablo had way more reason to kill. He had reason to kill the cultists, because he didn't wanted to see that sword in Belial's hands. He had reason to kill Cain for the same reason but it's also possible that he wanted the sword to be repaired, and this is why he didn't oneshot Cain like the cultists, giving him enough time for the repair, so Tyrael can regain his memories, bring us the message, and send us to a prime hunt.
So I'm quite sure that Diablo killed Cain, and this would be a way better story. And I hope, in the expansion this will be explained somehow, probably by Adria or some ghost Leah.
Reply Quote
The problem is that there is no way that's what the writers meant. The subtlety of the plot is pretty much equivalent to an atomic bomb - the very fact that you conceived something incredibly compelling within a few hours from the context of the game versus the months the lore team had.
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 02:17 PMPosted by FinalDestiny
The problem is that there is no way that's what the writers meant. The subtlety of the plot is pretty much equivalent to an atomic bomb - the very fact that you conceived something incredibly compelling within a few hours from the context of the game versus the months the lore team had.

The game has been out longer than "A few hours"
Reply Quote
If Diablo killed Cain, why didn't he just have Leah's powers kill Tyrael or your character for that matter? Isn't it better that Leah not ONLY couldn't save Cain, but killed the innocent? What better reasoning for her to channel her power by Adria's guidance than by inadvertently killing a friend AND not saving Cain.

You thought about this too much dude - I give you props for trying to make art out of crap.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]