Diablo® III

[Guide/Video] - MP10 TR + EP + Bells 1.0.8

- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
———————————————————————————————————————
Hello everyone!

I finally found time to make another video and I think writing up a quick guide to accompany it makes a lot of sense so here you go.

Note: This spec is dedicated to TianZi. He was missed but has now returned. Hallelujah!

—————————————————[ Videos ]—————————————————

••••••••••••••••••••• Basic Guide + Run MP10 FoM (CW/Cyclone) •••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• http://youtu.be/7ay84wlLMIc •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

••••••••••••••••••••••••••• 7200 mobs/hr Run (FoT/Firestorm) •••••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• http://youtu.be/1_gxIB_P52o ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

•••••••••••••••••••• Kim showcasing dual-wield EP-Bells (Overawe) ••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• http://youtu.be/qwtw-J95Nu8 ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

•••••••••••••••••••• Kim showcasing dual-wield EP-Bells (Backlash) ••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• http://youtu.be/7ay84wlLMIc •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

——————————————————[ Intro ]—————————————————
This spec is all about the synergy between Exploding Palm: Strong Spirit and Wave of Light.

The idea is to get into a flow where you barely have to use your spirit generator because Strong Spirit refills your spirit pool after every single WoL.

While I certainly think that this spec works better with a 2h wep due to its synergy with GP+EP:SS and increased Bell damage AND the use of TR, I also believe it's completely viable with dual 1h weps.
Edited by Druin#1518 on 9/3/2013 8:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
——————————————————[ Spec ]—————————————————
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ecWSVk!dXb!bZbcZa

—[ Wave of Light ]—
Empowered Wave vs. Wall of Light

This is your Damage. You will use WoL as both a kill-spell and a surviveability tool. Think of it as a potion button with no cooldown. As long as your weapon has LS on it, WoL is generally a 100% full heal every single time you cast it.

Empowered Wave is the best conversion of spirit to damage and it allows for more full-heals and more completed combos when you miss-judge your spirit-pool.

Alternatively you can use Wall of Light for extra DPS so that your WoL is certain to kill the monsters that have EP on them.

Generally:
If you use Overawe, Empowered Wave is a LOT easier to cast from a spirit perspective.
If you use Backlash, Wall of Light will help you 1 shot those EP'ed monsters.

—[ Tempest Rush: Tailwind ]—
Ah, good ol' TR! This is probably the "most efficient" skill that monks have though it is a pain to use for a great many reasons.

TR has a natural 25% move speed boost just for channeling it and then add the additional 25% on top from Tailwind and you end up with some pretty incredible move speed. The whole function of this skill is to make your time between packs of monsters go down. It is by no means a required piece of the build and you can swap it for whatever skill suits your fancy ... just know that your clear-speed will ALWAYS go up if you can master the use of TR.

There are some fun alt-uses for TR if you do choose to take it.
You can use the small knockback that TR provides in super-short bursts to keep monsters out of range to hit you but in range of CW:RT.
You can also use that small knockback to interrupt Savage Beast's charge skill and stop them from insta-killing you.

For me, the best part about TR is it allows very easy grouping of HUGE packs of monsters in Fields of Misery which I find to be extremely fun!

If you are a dual 1h monk, you should probably switch this skill out for Dashing Strike: Quicksilver. DS has a looooot of uses other than just movement and, once you get used to it, it is somewhat close to as good for moving around the map.

—[ Spirit Generator ]—
Crippling Wave: Rising Tide vs. Fist of Thunder: Quickening

There is a lot that can be said about this contest. Quickening is the best spirit/sec average in the game. Rising Tide is a LOT more DPS and Cyclone procs in groups. Rising Tide is also much better spirit generation for the first 2 hits.

Why is that? While the average spirit/sec from FoT:Q is significantly higher than CW:RT, FoT only hits 1 single target for hits one and two. This is a huge issue when you are surrounded by mobs because the LS from single hits is pretty small and the Cyclone spawn rate is even smaller.

CW:RT does not have this issue. It hits in a 90degree arc on hit one and a 180 degree arc on hit two which allows it to keep you alive while generating almost the same if not more spirit than FoT:Q and producing MUCH needed Cyclones for the EP phase of the combo.

Generally:
CW:RT is best for 2h monks that need the sustain from SW:C and best for all dual-1h monks.
FoT:Q is best for 2h monks that do not need the sustain and are not running SW:C.

—[ Sweeping Winds ]—
Inner Storm vs. Firestorm vs. Cyclone

SW is all about sustain with this spec. It doesn't really need to do damage it just needs to keep you alive.

For dual 1h monks this is pretty strait forward, you gain little from Inner Storm (no TR to worry about) and Cyclone + CW:RT is WAY better than Firestorm.

For 2h monks, it's not so easy. Firestorm can keep you alive all on its own while you use FoT:Q to gain massive Spirit. Inner Storm can help even more with spirit while you use Backlash to heal you instead.

Or, you can go with Cyclone/RT which lets you run Overawe and requires much lower eHP than the Firestorm setup.

The concept is that while casting Exploding Palm, your monk is basically doing zero damage and thus gaining zero life from LS. To combat this, you make a wall of Cyclones from your "spirit gaining" phase which last through the EP time and keep you topped off until you can cast a Bell.

Generally:
Most people will wind up going CW:Rising Tide + SW:Cyclone.

—[ Exploding Palm: Strong Spirit ]—
This is the "key" the build and the major innovation on TianZi's part.
EP costs 40 spirit and Strong Spirit returns 5 spirit per monster hit with the explosion.
Theoretically, if EP hits 8 monsters, it pays for itself.

However, because we are using a Templar and Guardian Path, it actually returns:
5 * 1.47 = 7.35 spirit
If it hits 6 monsters you gain 6*7.35 = 44.1 spirit.

The thing is, you should be fighting 20+ monsters and if EP hits 15 mobs, you gain 15*7.35 = 110.25 spirit!

So, if you have 3 EP's out and each hits ~15 monsters, you will gain more than your max spirit of 250 spirit.

The way to use this is: Cast 3x EP's then spam bells until you are out of spirit. If any 1 of the 3 monsters with EP on them dies (one certainly should because Bells do a LOT of damage) it will generally chain and kill the next one which chains and kills the third. This causes all 3 explosions to explode instantly and that allows each EP to hit all the monsters in range of it.

The result is that you will cast a couple bells and go instantly to full spirit.

You can use this in a variety of ways. The most important of which is to use your 250 spirit to cast 3 more EPs and some Bells on the next group!

This spec doesn't function without EP:SS so there are no alternatives here.

—[ Mantra ]—
Overawe vs. Backlash

Overawe is one of the only ways in the game to increase the total damage done by Exploding Palm and, thus, it is a good thing to have.

Your EP will do 50% of the monster's health. If you have 10k DPS it does 50% if you have 500k DPS it does 50%.

However, if that monster is affected by MoC:Overawe it does:
50% * 1.24 = 62% of the monster's health or
50% * 1.48 = 74% of the monster's health if you activate Overawe

This extra damage is SUPER helpful because it makes it FAR more likely for the first EP death to chain to the other two.

Alternatively, this spec functions quite well using Mantra of Evasion: Backlash or Mantra of Conviction: Submission.
Both of these mantras will serve to keep you alive while surrounded by monsters (MoE:Backlash is almost 100% invincibility) while sacrificing some kill speed.
If you are just learning the spec, it might be a good idea to start with one of these mantras instead.

Generally:
Overawe is the most obvious choice here. It helps you kill things and allows you to take down elites.
Backlash is good if you have lower eHP and it is also good if you want to do crazy things like drop STI for Fleet Footed!

—[ The Guardian's Path ]—
This is only important if you are using a 2h wep and, if you are, it's the best passive in the game.
35% more spirit applies to passive spir/sec items, spirit generated from CW:RT and spirit generated from EP:SS.

This passive will make chaining your combo together MUCH easier.

—[ Seize the Initiative ]—
This is just an eHP boost. You are surrounded by monsters who want you to die and you need to absorb as much damage as possible if you want to survive. STI is especially great if you have geared out of OWE because it gives you the equivalent to a shield's worth of armor!

Alternatively, you can use OWE here and just drop down a MP level or two.

—[ Exalted Soul ]—
This passive is part of what makes EP:SS so effective. At the end of your combo you should go strait to 100% spirit so having that pool be 250 instead of 150 is basically a "free" 100 spirit.

It also allows for the full EP EP EP overawe Bell combo which costs 210 spirit without having to generate spirit in between skills.

This can be dropped for OWE but I would suggest dropping STI and lowering the MP level before dropping ES.
Edited by Druin#1518 on 10/2/2013 9:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
—————————————————[ Strategy ]————————————————
tl;dr - you will want to round up monsters, TR or Dash into the middle of them then CW:RT 2-3 times get a good SW:Cyclone wall up then EP EP EP overawe Bell.

The first thing to do with this spec is to round up some monsters. At first you will want to try with smaller groups but eventually you want groups ranging in size from 20 to 70 monsters. My best is 76 monsters in a single pack.

There are various ways to do this and it certainly depends on the zone but generally you want to find the type of mob that is the "easiest" to round up and only look for packs of them. In Fields of Misery you are looking for the goat-men. They run fast and have a long-leash distance.

Once you have a group together, you will start the combo:
--Phase 1--
Use your spirit generator + Sweeping Winds:Cyclone to both fill your spirit globe and create a "cyclone wall."

This clump of Cyclones should last between 2 and 3 seconds and it will keep you healed while in phase 2.

I find that 2-3 hits from CW:RT is enough to go from ~50 spirit to 250 spirit and it spawns enough Cyclones to keep me alive in almost any circumstance.
However, this will change depending on your Critical Hit Chance (more CHC = more spirit and more Cyclones) and the size of the pack. With only 10-20 monsters and lower CHC you might need a couple rounds of CW:RT to get to full spirit and to proc enough Cyclones.

Note: during the phase you are "softening" the monsters so that they are easier to blow up with your EP + Bell damage. If you are having trouble killing the mobs with the first Bell of the combo and they are getting spread our due to the knockback before EP blows up, try staying in phase 1 a little longer so they are "softer" targets.

--Phase 2--
Here you will cast between 1 and 4 exploding palms.

The number you choose to cast depends on a LOT of factors and it's something you will have to get a feel for as you play with the spec.

The general rule of thumb is: more monsters = more EP's. If I get an especially amazing pack of >60 monsters, I will generally EP 4 times, revert back to Phase 1 to get another Cyclone wall going, the EP 2 or 3 more times so that I get good coverage with the explosions and insure that everyone dies!

With smaller <10 monster packs, you want to be VERY careful with your EP's. Putting EP on a high-HP target is the worst decision you can make. EP is more of a spirit-generator than a DPS skill and putting it on high-HP targets means most of the pack will be dead before it explodes. You want it to supplement your Bell damage not replace it.

Note: when you have a huge pack, spamming EP while holding "stand still" and targeting WAY outside your EP range will EP the farthest away target and make it MUCH more likely for you to not hit the same monster twice. It will also avoid EPing "large" targets more frequently.

--Phase 3--
Now the fun part. Cast Overawe and WoL and watching things explode.

This is the most satisfying feeling in the whole game. You just spent some really tense moments setting this whole thing up and you should have at least 90 spirit left. Just cast Overawe and then one WoL and, if done right, 95% of the pack should die instantly.

The concept is that you have 3-4 targets with EP on them and Bells hit everything. It is likely that your WoL will crit at LEAST one of the 3-4 EP targets causing it to die. When it dies, it will kill the next lowest HP EP target even if your bell didn't crit that one.

Basically you are greatly increasing the likelihood of your bell 1 shotting the entire pack by EPing multiple mobs. The more EP's, the more likely it is your bell 1 shots.

Overawe will DRASTICALLY increase the chances of 1 shotting a pack but it is also a pretty big spirit drain. On smaller packs, it is almost never worth it to Overawe.

Try and get a feel for how big a pack has to be and how much time you have to spend in Phase 1 in order to 1 shot the pack with the first bell. If you do have to cast a second bell, the knockback from the first bell will usually disperse the monsters and make your EP a lot less valuable.
Edited by Druin#1518 on 6/7/2013 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
————————————————[ Conclusion ]————————————————
This spec works great for me. If it doesn't work for you, that is totally fine! I am not claiming that this is the best spec in the game I am simply sharing something that I enjoy.

If you are having a lot of trouble killing or staying alive on MP10, just drop the MP level down a notch or two. There is no pre-requisite that this MUST be used on MP10 ... it's just as effective on whatever MP you are comfy with.

As always I am extremely happy to answer questions so just leave them here and I will do my best to explain/help with whatever I can!

That being said, here is a quick Q&A that might answer your question before you ask it.

--Q&A--
Q: What gear/stats do I need to do this on <x> Monster Power level?
A: There is no way for me to know this. Each player has a skill level and play style that determines what amount of gear/stats they need to make a given spec/MP level work. TianZi did things with 250k eHP that I can't possibly understand and I have seen people farming with <100k DPS at speeds that don't make sense to me. I have also seen 300k+ monks that I am pretty sure my ALT could out-farm ... you will have to figure this out youself!

Q: What gear should I upgrade?
A: First, upload your profile to a site like www.D3Up.com so you can see how much DPS/eHP each stat will give you. Then, make decisions based on what you think you need. Are you dying a lot but killing pretty quickly? You probably need more eHP. Are you killing slowly but never dying? You probably need more DPS. If you have SPECIFIC gearing questions, I am happy to answer them. If you just want me to build your monk, no can do! <3

Q: How fast do you farm MP10 and how many legendaries do you get?
A: I have hit >7,000 monsters per hour in Fields of Misery and that number is only going up!

Q: Barbs are OP
A: Yup. Also, not a question!

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, I will try and keep this up to date with relevant information as it comes in!

-Druin, the happy monk
Edited by Druin#1518 on 7/16/2013 3:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I know this is going to be good so in advance great tips druin keep up the good work and happiness will surround you

oh and im in favour of naming it The TianZi™

baggins with a evil grin™
Edited by baggins#6187 on 6/7/2013 11:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Druin if I wanted to try this with a Skorn with the following specs:

1306 dps
1078-1535
1 aps
242 min
316 max
44%
333 dex
189 cd
5.9 LS
OS

Would I be better off with a marq ruby or emerald? Would I be better off
Sticking to my DW sword setup?

Reply Quote
tagged
Reply Quote
Great guide. And nice that you added game play footage to supplement the guide.

Will probably be trying this out tonight.
Reply Quote
View profile
tag
Reply Quote
my bad
Edited by bsundbdmn#1142 on 6/9/2013 11:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ah, I remember you, Druin. I added you to do some PVP against you before. It was pretty fun.

Nice guide man. I'll try it.

I'm JinShin85 @ D2JSP.
Reply Quote
GURU's ;) what are your thoughts on farming legs and paragon levels solo vs in a party? Lately a lot of builds use TR or Bells and these aren't always the most party friendly skills. I'm pretty sure a well organized party with the right classes can't be beat as far as efficiency, but half the time I join pubs and am always having to try and adjust gear and skills to compliment the party. I rarely have more than 1-2 hours to play at a time or i would do more testing of builds, farm routes for xp, and solo vs parties.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Druin if I wanted to try this with a Skorn with the following specs:

1306 dps
1078-1535
1 aps
242 min
316 max
44%
333 dex
189 cd
5.9 LS
OS

Would I be better off with a marq ruby or emerald? Would I be better off
Sticking to my DW sword setup?

Hey there K1llface,

First off, I think it would work quite well with the Skorn.

My guess is that you would have a better time using this spec with the skorn than with the dual 1h setup as this spec heavily favors 2h weps.

Second, Emerald alllllllll the way.

Remember, you are trying to get the bell to crit-kill at least 1 of the EP'ed mobs so the only thing that really matters is getting your crit number up there.

Good luck!

06/07/2013 03:55 PMPosted by bsundbdmn
Wow man. Way to be original. You saw this same build in my thread and video, Switched CS for TR and changed the spirit generator and called it your own. What you are doing is exactly what I was doing in my video. A video you watched and commented on I might add.

Hello there Bsundbdmn,

I am really sorry that you feel slighted.

At no point in time have I ever nor will I ever "call a build my own." This is simply a set of skills in a game and I am showing people how they work together.

You can keep your little tempest rush, crippling wave, EP strong spirit Hybrid of my build. I guarantee all things equal gear wise my build and play style blows the doors off yours.

Any time you would like to test this, I would be more than happy to do so. I did try your build and I found it to be quite a bit worse for mobs/hour than mine.

Perhaps yours is better for dual 1h users or perhaps I am simply much better at playing my build than yours ... but the lack of a movement skill in your build basically ensures that it will never compete on a mobs/hr scale.

Funny how you cred this dude who is no longer around supposedly but create this guide 2 days after watching my video

Here is a link to his video of this exact interaction done in CotA ~1 month ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YECAV5MRj2A

I was friends with him and he personally gave me the idea to combine EP with Bells for high MP farming.

Again, I am sorry you feel so negatively about this, I am not attempting to "steal" anything, I tried your build, didn't like it, went back to my build and then didn't really think about it.

I would be MORE than happy to cross-link guides and change the title such that both are presented as options for different approaches.

My build is quite a bit worse for dual 1h users and I have a LOT less experience with that style of play so it would be quite valuable to have both sides of the coin.

I would truly prefer to collaborate rather than hate on each other. Let me know!

Ah, I remember you, Druin. I added you to do some PVP against you before. It was pretty fun.

Nice guide man. I'll try it.

I'm JinShin85 @ D2JSP.

Hi Kim!

They were quite fun duels!

If you ever want to pvp again, let me know ... I have scaled my pvp WAAAAY back because 1.0.8 made it fun to farm monsters again but I would be happy to go a few rounds.

Anyways, thanks for checking out the guide and let me know if you have any questions.

06/07/2013 04:22 PMPosted by Punishir
GURU's ;) what are your thoughts on farming legs and paragon levels solo vs in a party? Lately a lot of builds use TR or Bells and these aren't always the most party friendly skills. I'm pretty sure a well organized party with the right classes can't be beat as far as efficiency, but half the time I join pubs and am always having to try and adjust gear and skills to compliment the party. I rarely have more than 1-2 hours to play at a time or i would do more testing of builds, farm routes for xp, and solo vs parties.

Honestly, I think that groups can't possibly be beat if done correctly.
The bonus for grouping combine with the increased kill speed is pretty hard to argue against.

As for the skills, TR has a hard time finding a good place in groups because it is so much faster than everything else ... however, simply replacing it with DS:Quicksilver tends to solve that problem while still allowing a non FoT:TC monk to move around.

Bells are much easier, if you want to be a group Bell monk (the first monk should ALWAYS be a CS monk though) you can simply switch to the Pillar of the Ancients rune and the knockback basically goes away.

This doesn't work very well for my monk because Pillar is a very slow cast and can get you killed quite easily due to it's less-than-ideal healing-structure (two HUGE bursts that are nearly 0 when non-crit) and can 1 shot you against RD elites ...

Thankfully, my monk works GREAT as a CS monk so I just take that roll when I group! :D

I have never tried doing pickup groups but my guess would be that they are almost always going to be less efficient than soloing. Randomness is the bane of groups and it takes a large amount of coordination to overcome the fast-paced easily miss-handled gameplay in D3.
Edited by Druin#1518 on 6/7/2013 4:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Any way working Cyclone Strike into the build? ^_^ Sometimes I wish we could just keybind any skill to any key, but that wouldn't be console friendly now would ut??
Reply Quote
06/07/2013 04:36 PMPosted by Davlok
Any way working Cyclone Strike into the build? ^_^ Sometimes I wish we could just keybind any skill to any key, but that wouldn't be console friendly now would ut??

um yeah check my thread on basically this same build. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9245624620?page=1

besides the left and right mouse you can key bind pretty much everything
Edited by bsundbdmn#1142 on 6/7/2013 4:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
06/07/2013 04:36 PMPosted by Davlok

I have tried it and found that it simply isn't worth it.

The monsters in Fields self-clump as long as you are solo and you let your follower die and CS only hits 8 monsters (when we are pulling packs of ~50) AND it takes your spirit that you need to combo.

I think that Bsundbdmn's guide which he so gratefully linked incorporates CS into it. Perhaps you could take a look at that spec.
Reply Quote
Any time you would like to test this, I would be more than happy to do so. I did try your build and I found it to be quite a bit worse for mobs/hour than mine.

Perhaps yours is better for dual 1h users or perhaps I am simply much better at playing my build than yours ... but the lack of a movement skill in your build basically ensures that it will never compete on a mobs/hr scale.

I will be on at 8 pm cst I will make a video of my run just fields of misery and upload it to a thread in this forum labeled bsund vs. druin. It will take some time to upload because my speed is crap but I will add you in game and let you know.

If you want to do the same so we can compare run times and xp/hr we can settle this.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile

I will be on at 8 pm cst I will make a video of my run just fields of misery and upload it to a thread in this forum labeled bsund vs. druin. It will take some time to upload because my speed is crap but I will add you in game and let you know.

If you want to do the same so we can compare run times and xp/hr we can settle this.

I can definitely make a video and upload it. Although I no longer gain xp so calcing xp/hr would be pretty tough.

Perhaps calc monsters/hour?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]