Diablo® III

[Guide/Video] - MP10 TR + EP + Bells 1.0.8

Tried this build.. this build rock !!! :D

but still need to learn much the timing for EP and WOL.. and need to be careful with RD elites..
Reply Quote
Hey Druin!

Just wanted to thank you for putting the video together. Although I knew of the build (since you've talked about it for a while and I think I read Tianzi referring to this in the past), I didn't quite know how the build was executed, so the video made it very clear.

I tried this out (in MP8 and MP9) last night and I had few issues with it while familiarizing myself with the playstyle (and I only had spirit regen in my SoJ as I haven't yet been able to afford an Inna's hat with adequate spirit regen), and it was immensely satisfying to kill those huge those huge trash mobs in one shot. I'll need to try this in MP10 when I have a chance.

So a couple of questions / comments:
(1) Have you tried using Firestorm rune instead of Cyclone rune with this build? The reason is that I have long believed that firestorm was most suited to be used as a survivability tool while playing in high density mobs due to the increased AoE. It may mean that you not need to proc cyclones as much before you spam EP, overawe and bell...

(2) One of the issues that I had with EP/SS and bells is that when a monster is under the effect of EP, I've always thought that the dropping a bell would kill it at the same time as many of the surrounding monsters, so I did not think that EP/SS would have a chance to take effect This is more of a question of the game mechanics -- is it because the WoL damage is split into 3 hits that the EP explosion would take place in between the hits, or is this the reason why you gather & engage a good 50+ monsters before killing them with your bells to insure that the SS rune actually takes effect?

Anyway... great video, as always. Looking forward to playing around with this some more in the coming week.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hey Druin

Really nice video guide. The really amazing amount of effort you put in to the making and editing of your videos (especially compared to mine...) really pays off.

You might want to consider some optimization of your fields pathing though. I averaged around 6% better by using the checkpoint at the top right of the map and clearing towards the bottom right so that you don't have to guess where you're starting off. You can either use talk to alaric and you'll get Leah with you, or if you use death in Wortham you can do it too, but watch out for the checkpoint just north of the new tristram waypoint. I uploaded a quick vid of the path here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOJJ_tJe_cw.

Hey Chaz,

Thanks for checking out the video!

First of all, I had been trying to use the checkpoint going from Cemetary to FoM and was getting extremely frustrated by checkpointing at the Khaz Den over and over ... thank you soooo much for the recommendation. My run speed is significantly higher now.

On the topic of pathing, I think the most efficient path is to just clear the perimeter and then bail on the run.

I was missing ~100 monsters but the time it takes to get those last 100 seems a LOT longer than the time it takes to get the first ~500 or so.

I am not sure this would work as well for you, but for me, I need a lot of space to collect packs and so I "dip" into the middle section while I run around the edge. This makes it so that when I have completed a circle there are still packs in the middle but it's a lot less dense than the rest of the run comparatively.

Either way ... it is so nice to have a set path rather than guessing! :D

06/07/2013 07:07 PMPosted by Chazhang
Its pretty interesting that you're getting a rate of 700 kills/leg. I've been compiling a lot of data from me and some other barbs and so far its around 494k kills and 634 legendaries but that might be from the fact that we have a much lower kill rate of the beasts and trees.

I went back and looked at my math. Apparently my formula was just using data from a single run.
My actual average is 633 mobs/leg and the reason is that data was collected over 100,000 kills in CotA and CotA skeletons have a higher drop-rate than bats/frogs in FoM (probably the same as Goat men and less than Trees/Cows).

I have simply not had enough time to collect a good enough amount of data in FoM (having just recently optimized my run there) for it to be relevant.

My guess is that I would get a moderately more efficient number than you as I kill all elites (more NV and elites have far higher drop%) and I kill more trees/cows.

On the other hand, looking at that video I assume you get >7500 mobs/hr right? So your legs/hr average is probably higher than mine regardless of my "more efficient" number.

06/07/2013 07:07 PMPosted by Chazhang
Btw. I think it's time for you to come out of retirement from streaming. Would you be interested in doing a 6 hr legendary farming competition on the 23rd of June? So far I got Ziss (440k CM) Todd (790k Archon) Dutch (345k soj skorn CoB) and I'm going to try to get Modz as well.

I sincerely appreciate this offer.

Sadly, I will be out of the state for a Foundation meeting that weekend. However, I would happily stream a 6hr leg competition so if any more happen and you feel like sending an invite my way, please do so!

Always nice to hear from you Chaz!

———————————————————————————————————————

I think you should note that you are getting 700kills/1 legendary rate based off of 550% mf? 100 paragon + mp10.

Not all of us are paragon 100.

All of my numbers are found using a MF of ~550% (MP10 + Para 100) although in FoM I do get NV stacks so it can get as high as 610% in a single run.

Non para 100 people should expect less legs/hr ... but that is the whole point of getting to para 100! :D

Druin, really enjoyed this latest spec/youtube vid. Much gratitude to you and everyone else who contributed to theory craft the spec and shared the knowledge with the public.

I had quite honestly for all intense purpose stopped playing my monk out of boredom, but I just tried this out tonight for the first time (I was skeptical at first, my gear is a notch below yours) and holy dying mobs was this a lot of fun...I found myself yelling out at the laptop (boom as each WoL would melt down 40 plus monsters)...also found at least 1 legendary each FoM run (I did 3 total).

I'm gonna mess around a bit with my gear but I will follow your advice, staying close to 1.3 APS...and I tried my full Inna's (which isn't bad 199K unbuffed), but then later switched to my Mempo/WH and things died a lot faster and I still had no issues using TR from mob to mob....

Thanks again for all you do for the monk community.

Thank you so much for the support Supes!

I am really really really glad to hear that my guide could be useful to you! If you have any specific questions about it just let me know.

Any time the work I do helps someone else have more fun, I consider it a pretty big win! :D

<3

06/09/2013 12:40 PMPosted by TianZi
Note: I am dedicating this video/guide to TianZi.

I watched your video even though I'm not even playing D3 now.

EP/Bells/TR Best Spec :)

Miss you guys <3. Probably won't be back till 1.1, hope to see you guys in game again then.

We miss you too buddy! Glad you read the forums enough to catch the guide!

I most certainly couldn't have done it without you ... I just was SO dead-set that EP and Bells didn't mix. Even when you made a video of you farming scorps I refused to put 2 and 2 together ... wasn't until you started talking about 3.6k+ mobs/hr in CotA that I actually started thinking about it!

Have fun playing SCII and let me know if/when you start playing again so I can throw a B or two your way! :D

Thanks for sharing! Really cool build.

I wonder how I could potentially adapt this for Hardcore... Problem is there's only so much room for trial and error in testing new builds :) (wish the PTR was always up!) Any suggestions Druin?

I was busy typing a full response about possible variants of this build that you could use but then I remembered my golden rule.

Thou Shalt Not Use Exploding Palm In Hard Core.

Why? Because someday you will accidentally EP a tree or a cow or another elite and it will run off into the sunset, find a pack of RD mobs, die and EP kill you instantly.

EP is not a viable HC skill and thus this spec is not HC viable (IMO).

If you are dead set on using it, I would suggest something like this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#VdWSgh!XUT!ZbbcYc

Backlash is OP as heck at keeping you alive when surrounded and CW+SW:C+EP:SS is all you really need to make the combo work.

Good luck my ballsy friend! ;)

its fun, but only really works when u are solo... that's no fun :o

inspired by strong spirit, my current build is working well in a 4 person party. you can tag ALOT of demons and the explosion makes up for health scaling

This is just a fact of monk life.

We have some specific skills with such amazing group synergy and such terrible solo effectiveness that almost any build will almost have to be unique to solo or group play.

Here is my group build, for reference:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#fdWSYk!dfX!cbbcca

I use a -5CS SoJ and -5CS Inna's hat + even more IAS gear.

06/10/2013 12:45 AMPosted by Daliwoo
hey druin .. is rising tide better than quickening in every case? for instance i spam bells

Rising Tide is very rarely better than Quickening. It is better when surrounded ONLY IF you can't get the third hit of FoT:Q off. As soon as that third hit lands, FoT:Q skyrockets ahead of CW:RT in terms of spir/sec.

CW:RT happens to be much better damage and sustain than FoT:Q as well so it is useful for that in this very specific case.

For most monk with most specs FoT:Q > CW:RT I believe.

I just want to point out to people who are having death issues like me at mid-level gear.

I have started using a shield and it is making the world of difference. It probably helps my 1 hander is practically ideal for bells (high damage), but I actually prefer using a shield I think for this, I was dying 3-4 times a run, now maybe once. Sure the time spent not dying, the shield is actually faster haha.

This is a very legit point. If you are dying a lot and have a good LS 1h wep, try out sword and board.

EP doesn't care how big your 2h is, it's going to blow stuff up. Having a faster setup just means a bit more in Phase 1 building cyclones and dropping mob HP and a bit less focus on the Phase 3 bell drop.

Hey Druin!

Just wanted to thank you for putting the video together. Although I knew of the build (since you've talked about it for a while and I think I read Tianzi referring to this in the past), I didn't quite know how the build was executed, so the video made it very clear.

Hey Nameless,

Glad you liked the video and I am really glad that you found it to be clear and easy to understand! :D

(1) Have you tried using Firestorm rune instead of Cyclone rune with this build? The reason is that I have long believed that firestorm was most suited to be used as a survivability tool while playing in high density mobs due to the increased AoE. It may mean that you not need to proc cyclones as much before you spam EP, overawe and bell...

I have not tried Firestorm.

I frequently forget that this is a skill we have ... I will try it ASAP as it does reasonably make sense. I would also think that if Firestorm does work, a SW%dmg SoJ would be a great way to increase your effective tankiness AND your eDPS at the same time! :D

I will most likely still need to punch things the same number of times as I currently do as I do that for spirit because TRing drains spirit pretty quickly with my current 50% IAS setup ... but I may be able to switch back to FoT:Q ... we shall see.

(2) One of the issues that I had with EP/SS and bells is that when a monster is under the effect of EP, I've always thought that the dropping a bell would kill it at the same time as many of the surrounding monsters, so I did not think that EP/SS would have a chance to take effect This is more of a question of the game mechanics -- is it because the WoL damage is split into 3 hits that the EP explosion would take place in between the hits, or is this the reason why you gather & engage a good 50+ monsters before killing them with your bells to insure that the SS rune actually takes effect?

I have not tested this so I am basing my following response on anecdotal evidence from my time using EP and specifically EP + Bell.

This is how I believe the game treats EP:
When a monster's HP drops to 0, it triggers a "monster is dead" check. EP then activates and the game stops moving through the "Monster HP change" script and does the complete EP activation script first. It then re-checks that "monster is dead" trigger for additional instances of EP activation and then FINALLY moves to the "remove monster from field" action sequence.

The effect this has (and I will test it when I have a chance) is if you have 10 monsters and EP 3 of them, as long as your bell kills a monster with EP on it at the same time as it kills other monsters, you will get back 3*10*5 = 150 spirit.

If it didn't work like this, you would probably get back ~60 spirit because only the first EP would really hit all the monsters.

The reason I have come to this conclusion is that vs ~15 monsters 3 EP's will 100% fill my spirit bar every time which would be extremely unlikely if they didn't all trigger at once.

Again, this is something I will have to test.

The answer to your question is: I only pull huge packs because the combo takes a finite amount of time and has a nearly infinite kill potential as everything is 100% AoE. This means it is always more efficient to add more monsters to the mix.

Furthermore, the goat-men follow VERY well compared to most mobs in the game AND the bats/frogs follow less well.

This is good because the bats and frogs have a lower drop-chance and are less important to kill than the goat-men.

tl;dr - Big groups are efficient but not required for EP+Bells to function correctly.
Reply Quote
Thanks Druin for this build. I've seen Tianzi use this build before but never really tried it until now. Great work! Having a lot of fun with it.

Oh and awesome doom hammer!
Reply Quote
Hi Druin,

Its great to see you create a nice guide and also credit it to Tianzi. I completely agree it is a loss to the community to not have him around so nice he left a legacy behind!

Gearing-wise, because you rely on EP:SS and Bells to regen spirit, how important is Spirit Regen for gearing? How much minimum SR do you recommend (say for maximum of 18%IAS boost from having an Inna Set/Nat Set equipped)?

Also do you recommend this build for solo XP farming? If so, what routes? I remember TianZi used a variant of this for purpose of AC2 scorpion farming so wondering if this can work the same way?
Reply Quote
By the way, I tested this build with my dual wield set up. Works very well. :)

And then I changed to this build I'm running right now. Works a little better for DW. BF+TClap gets us the mobility.
Edited by KimSulki84#1308 on 6/11/2013 12:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Druin for the awesome build. I have the following screenshot as dedication:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x4vyDMhoR6U/UbXCjm1Q2oI/AAAAAAAAAqs/zW3dHTxVGBo/w1012-h569-no/Screenshot233.jpg

46 OHKO with a single Bell

░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█
░░░░░░░░░█░░░░█
███████▄▄█░░░░░██████▄
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█████░░░░░░░░░█
██████▀░░░░▀▀██████▀
Reply Quote
Hi Druin,

thanks for the great enhancement of my D3 experience. I have a lot to practice on that build, but my first concentrated run on MP9 netted me 12legs in 1h5m. I know this was just a fluke, but a nice way for a new build to introduce itself.

I took the liberty to link to this guide in the german monk-forum, with all the credit to you ofc. Hope you dont mind, cheers!
Reply Quote
Thats the sht
Reply Quote
Good fun build, unfortunately it really lags when I start to cast bells on top of the crowd of monsters. Guess my pc and lack of ssd is to blame... But the lag together with my rather low ehp results in a few too many deaths even at mp8. Guess I have to upgrade one or the other.
Reply Quote
Bump for awesomeness, I can't wait to try this out tonight !!
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Thanks Druin for this build. I've seen Tianzi use this build before but never really tried it until now. Great work! Having a lot of fun with it.

Oh and awesome doom hammer!

Hey Ant2ny,

Thanks for the support and I am glad the guide was helpful!

Also, yes, my Doom Hammer is rather overpowered! :D

Hi Druin,

Its great to see you create a nice guide and also credit it to Tianzi. I completely agree it is a loss to the community to not have him around so nice he left a legacy behind!

Hey there Bankai,

Thanks! Hopefully TianZi will be back when they change the game enough to make re-rolling worth it!

06/10/2013 09:08 PMPosted by Bankai
Gearing-wise, because you rely on EP:SS and Bells to regen spirit, how important is Spirit Regen for gearing? How much minimum SR do you recommend (say for maximum of 18%IAS boost from having an Inna Set/Nat Set equipped)?

The issue with not having spirit regen is you lose the ability to use TR. The spec works fine with zero spir/sec but you have to switch TR for DS:Q and accept the fact that you will often have less spirit than you want when starting battles.

My monk rocks the same spir/sec for basically every build which is 2.23 from SoJ and 2.48 from hat.

If possible, I think most 2h monks (who should be using GP) want to aim for numbers similar to that.

However, a large part of my incentive for running SoJ comes from the desire to kill elites and not skip them. If you dont' care as much about the elites thing, a rare ring and zero spir/sec with DS is fine.

06/10/2013 09:08 PMPosted by Bankai
Also do you recommend this build for solo XP farming? If so, what routes? I remember TianZi used a variant of this for purpose of AC2 scorpion farming so wondering if this can work the same way?

I actually haven't tested this spec with my current gear on MP10 FoM for xp/hr.

I assume it is better than TR on MP1 ... however I doubt this will be true for most people. I think with a limited budget, hitting 100m xp/hr is totally reasonable with TR ... however, clearing FoM on MP10 at the speed that my monk can requires A LOT of gear.

The reason for this is that in MP1 you need ~140k dps. In MP10 you need ~180k dps AND a ton of eHP. The eHP requirement really hurts the cost of the build.

tl;dr - I think that you can totally get xp from MP10 but the cost-per-xp/hr is way higher than just MP1 TRing.

By the way, I tested this build with my dual wield set up. Works very well. :)

And then I changed to this build I'm running right now. Works a little better for DW. BF+TClap gets us the mobility.

Glad you are enjoying it!

That spec is quite interesting. I take it you do a bit less ep-belling and a bit more softening the mobs up with FoT:TC?

Not sure how the build would work with such a limited spirit generation system.
I would love to see a video of your alternate spec if you have the time to make one! :D

Thanks Druin for the awesome build. I have the following screenshot as dedication:

46 OHKO with a single Bell

Yay!!!

Nameless wants to see your OHKO's here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9281328506

Hi Druin,

thanks for the great enhancement of my D3 experience. I have a lot to practice on that build, but my first concentrated run on MP9 netted me 12legs in 1h5m. I know this was just a fluke, but a nice way for a new build to introduce itself.

I took the liberty to link to this guide in the german monk-forum, with all the credit to you ofc. Hope you dont mind, cheers!

Hello Troglodyte,

I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying the spec!! 12 legs is AMAZING!! So grats on that.

I am also very grateful that you passed on this guide to our German friends. It makes me super happy to know that even more people can check this out now! :D

It would be awesome if you could link the thread so I could directly support anyone who has questions regarding the build over there.

06/12/2013 04:57 AMPosted by Metalsvinet
Good fun build, unfortunately it really lags when I start to cast bells on top of the crowd of monsters. Guess my pc and lack of ssd is to blame... But the lag together with my rather low ehp results in a few too many deaths even at mp8. Guess I have to upgrade one or the other.

I am really sorry to hear this.

I think the spec works okay without huge groups if you want to try it in Forgotten Ruins (found in Act2 Oasis where you can get a Checkpoint). I was only able to get ~5k mobs/hr in there but the skels have a higher drop % than the bats and toads in FoM so it's probably not THAT bad for legs/hr.

They are way less dense so you should have a lot less trouble with both lag and eHP.

Good luck!

06/12/2013 06:16 AMPosted by Mist3rHyde
Bump for awesomeness, I can't wait to try this out tonight !!

<3
Reply Quote
Yes I can definitely make a video of it. Im in the process of making a vid for each and every skill build in my build guide over at d2jsp. Should be done with all vids by sunday.

And yes you are right, I soften up the mobs with cyclones and palm palm bell!
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Yes I can definitely make a video of it. Im in the process of making a vid for each and every skill build in my build guide over at d2jsp. Should be done with all vids by sunday.

Um, link that guide please! :D I need to learn more about D2JSP as it seems like a good community and I would also like to read your guides.

<3
Reply Quote
Hello Troglodyte,

I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying the spec!! 12 legs is AMAZING!! So grats on that.

I am also very grateful that you passed on this guide to our German friends. It makes me super happy to know that even more people can check this out now! :D

It would be awesome if you could link the thread so I could directly support anyone who has questions regarding the build over there.

Sure thing:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/de/forum/topic/7645874959

Drop by and introduce yourself to the crowd. Im afraid though the monk forums in German are a lot less frequented than this one here. So far the response was cautiously positive, although many have concerns that the gear requirements are a bit too exclusive. People that actually tried it really liked it though.
Dont know how good your German is, so i summed it up for you.

So far my best OHK was at 71 at which point my MacBook almost took a time-out.
Reply Quote

Um, link that guide please! :D I need to learn more about D2JSP as it seems like a good community and I would also like to read your guides.

<3

Of course! :)

Here you go. Page 43 was my latest update on the guide.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=67225721&f=142&o=460

I'm suspended til next Thursday on JSP. I spammed the spammer in my trading topic and I got 15day suspensions. LOL It happened multiple times before, so I don't really mind.
Reply Quote

JinShin/Kimsulki, I read through that whole post on D2jsp a few weeks ago and that combined with all of Druin and Fitz's knowledge and builds has been very helpful for a newer or returning monk :) Thanks so much guys for your shared experiences and frequent posts, the EU monk forums are dead compared to US. Don't mean to leave anyone else out, as i've ready about every monk guide on here, but just had the most fun with these recent builds.

Kimsulki, i tried out your most recent spec, which was an altered build of Druin's i think, and did like it and find it very effective in high MP, but prefer the speed of using DS or TR. A 2hander does more damage, but i die more often, while DW seems to keep me alive longer, while killing slower.

Druin, i noticed you've switched to FOT:Q lately over CW:RT. Did you switch just for higher spirit generation and easier vs fewer mobs? I like CW for the huge packs, but i'm thinking of trying this to do Act 2, V.O.R.C.S. (vault, oasis, ruins, channels, storm) run for good paragon leveling, but not sure if i can gather as many mobs in some of the smaller act 2 maps like Western Channel. Oh and thanks Chazrang for the work you and Nubtro put into the most exp efficient runs.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Druin, i noticed you've switched to FOT:Q lately over CW:RT. Did you switch just for higher spirit generation and easier vs fewer mobs? I like CW for the huge packs, but i'm thinking of trying this to do Act 2, V.O.R.C.S. (vault, oasis, ruins, channels, storm) run for good paragon leveling, but not sure if i can gather as many mobs in some of the smaller act 2 maps like Western Channel. Oh and thanks Chazrang for the work you and Nubtro put into the most exp efficient runs.

I switched to FoT:Q because I was only using CW:RT to survive via SW:Cyclone.

Nameless suggested that I try using SW:Firestorm as my sustain instead of Cyclone and the ~96% increase in area covered REALLY helped. This made it so I could run FoT:Q because 100% of my sustain is coming from SW:F now.

I think FoT:Q is a better skill than CW:RT when it comes to versatility so I was happy to switch back to it when I had the option.

I think the breakpoint of eHP and DPS + LS required to fully sustain off SW:F is probably quite a bit higher than CW:RT + SW:C ... but I haven't tested this spec with mid-range gear so I am not 100% sure! :D
Reply Quote
I did try it with Firestorm and also prefer it over SW:C. I was able to stay alive better with the more consistent damage and the greater range on it. I also noticed i don't have as many lag spikes using it over cyclone and for some reason the mobs seem to stay closer to me using Firestorm than when i have mini cyclones all over the place, could be just me seeing cyclones spreading out though.
Reply Quote
I will test this myself, but is it annoyingly difficult for you to maintain spirit while using tal's chest and witching hour? Avoiding ias makes upgrading boring/marginal, though I've noticed you've switched out wh for an inna's belt.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]