Diablo® III

[Guide/Video] - MP10 TR + EP + Bells 1.0.8

Hi Druin,

I just wrote a pretty long text and had to login again after hitting submit. :( Now I have to write it again. Anyway...

thank you for replying on your game play mechanics. This helps quite a lot.

So the very first thing that I think is important is I bind 1234 to qwer.
This is a fallout from playing years of LoL and I find qwer is a lot easier to manage than 1234.

I also bind "stand still and attack" to the spacebar as shift is extrmeely hard to hit at the same time as other buttons such as Q.

If space isn't an important button in your gameplay, you are losing 20% of your hand's functionality as your thumb is relatively useless for everything else.

I think this is a very good idea and will relax my left hand quite a bit especially my pinky. When I talk about the keys I will pretend that I already use your keyboard setup to make it easier.

07/10/2013 02:50 PMPosted by Druin
For all intents and purposes, FoT:Q is simply a "press me to gain spirit" button. It barely does any damage and I don't have a SW:C to proc. This causes me to de-prioritize it.

I think i can follow you here. I will have to retrain my habbits I guess, but it makes sense.
BTW. is this your currently suggested setup? I'm still using the setup you linked with the video with CW:RT and SW:C.

I currently have a very low budget monk since I haven't played for a year or so and had to rebuy my gear. Unfortunatly I found your perfect TR compendium too late and bought a few less than perfect low budget items. Now I have around half a mill gold left and a Monkilein with 97k DPS, 250k eHP, 43% CHC, 340% CHD, 250 all-res, 430 fire-res, 3300 armor and 36k life.
Even on MP5 I die too often. I tried using both STI and OWE removing ES, but I often don't have spirit left for the full combo, so my bell doesn't go off resulting in my death.
Especially when there are trees and elites in the group and I'm standing in green moisture I won't survive long. And I'm not even talking about the bulls knocking me out frequently.
So this is just to explain a little where I'm coming from. Maybe this will work: http://d3up.com/b/850085 I did not know about this site before.

From a play-style perspective, I generally spam the Q button with my ring finger and intermittently tap the spacebar depending on whether the monster is moving around or not.

If I am in a large group, I will hold space, tap Q and target my mouse far away from monsters so I can "aim" the third hit of the combo to maximize its spirit/sec.

What do you think of keeping Q pressed? I tried it and it makes me less stressed, but when I hit EP while holding down Q, EP won't work I think. If it is a small group I'm sometimes too far away to hit something, so I think I have to remember to release the Space button from time to time. This happens when I'm fighting Trees in their green pook and I don't want to walk to close.

One other good thing about this setup is, that I find clicking or pressing the LMB for a long time harder than hitting a key. ^^ I guess I'm getting old. :-(

In the rare cases where I want to move but not left click (when there is TONS of loot on the ground) I will move via holding Q ... this is extremely awkward and I dislike it immensely.

Did you try to bind the "move without attack" to the middle mouse button? This would help here, but I find clicking the wheel not very natural.

If I am in a large group, I will hold space, tap Q and target my mouse far away from monsters so I can "aim" the third hit of the combo to maximize its spirit/sec.

I'm not sure I get this.

I ALWAYS "stand still attack" when casting WoL because it is simply better.

I will try this out. I don't remember if I hold SPACE while casting WoL or not.

The easiest way to do this is to aim your mouse FAR outside the circle of monsters around you and then spin in a circle while casting EP with "stand still attack" held. This will cause you to cast EP on the farthest away possible mob in any given direction. This GREATLY reduces the "cast EP on mob directly in front of me = largest possible arc taken up by that mob" problem.

I saw an earlier post by you mentioning this so I tried it, but it did not work. I didn't know I needed to hold the Space button for this to work :(
What do you think of a combo like 3x QQQE and then R and LMB while circling with the mouse outside the mob circle and holding Space? I would not need to release Space for any of these spells, right? Could this work?

If this explanation didn't make sense, let me know because I am not entirely sure I conveyed what I meant to ... but I hope I did! :D

I find your explanations quite good. I wouldn't terribly mind if you would feel the need to make a noob friendly D3 game play mechanics video/guide though :-)

What do you think about a low budget (say around 25M) "cowboy monk" (I like the name someone suggested earlier) video/guide? You could adress optional setups for worse geared monks like mine, that need a slightly tankier build to survive higher MPs.

Thanks again for helping out a fellow german Monkileinchen.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
07/11/2013 04:04 AMPosted by Pupsilein
BTW. is this your currently suggested setup? I'm still using the setup you linked with the video with CW:RT and SW:C.

Ah, oops.

Yes and no. I have two builds that I am developing simultaneously and I have no idea which one is better. You can view them here:
1. MoC:Overawe version
http://d3up.com/b/477305/pve-mp10-tr-ep-bells
This is the one everyone is used to seeing.

2. MoE:Backlash version
http://d3up.com/b/762330/pve-mp10-tr-ep-bell-2-0
This version just removes the possibility of killing elites from the equation to focus more heavily on monsters/hr by using Fleet and dropping the SoJ.

I think that MoE:Backlash is generally a good way to sustain if you have lower than normal eHP because it is near-invincibility once you are surrounded.

I haven't done enough clear testing to know which is preferable though ... I am super busy doing VotA runs still! :D

I currently have a very low budget monk since I haven't played for a year or so and had to rebuy my gear. Unfortunatly I found your perfect TR compendium too late and bought a few less than perfect low budget items. Now I have around half a mill gold left and a Monkilein with 97k DPS, 250k eHP, 43% CHC, 340% CHD, 250 all-res, 430 fire-res, 3300 armor and 36k life.
Even on MP5 I die too often. I tried using both STI and OWE removing ES, but I often don't have spirit left for the full combo, so my bell doesn't go off resulting in my death.
Especially when there are trees and elites in the group and I'm standing in green moisture I won't survive long. And I'm not even talking about the bulls knocking me out frequently.
So this is just to explain a little where I'm coming from. Maybe this will work: http://d3up.com/b/850085 I did not know about this site before.

Yea, D3Up is pretty much where it's at for character theory-building right now. There is no better source for stat gains and spec variations outside of making your own tool.

Now, I think you are probably hitting a similar wall to some other people out there with regards to the spec which come from spending too many resources trying to kill elites.

I would recommend trying a more tank-oriented variation on build#2 and see how it works out for you.

You should be able to take whichever SW rune lets you live and CW:RT is still almost certainly better eHP gain than FoT:Q so I would stick to it until you have a handle on not dying.

What do you think of keeping Q pressed? I tried it and it makes me less stressed, but when I hit EP while holding down Q, EP won't work I think. If it is a small group I'm sometimes too far away to hit something, so I think I have to remember to release the Space button from time to time. This happens when I'm fighting Trees in their green pook and I don't want to walk to close.

I try to make myself hold Q sometimes because spamming a button with my ring-finger is actually pretty tiring after a couple hours of play ... but I really don't like the feel of it. This is one of those things that I think is a bit to "personal" to be helpful to other people. Whatever setup works for you is probably the best.

The only real exception to this rule in the past was clickers in WoW ... I don't care if you are 2300 rated. Clicking your skills is NEVER okay. ;)

Did you try to bind the "move without attack" to the middle mouse button? This would help here, but I find clicking the wheel not very natural.

The middle mouse button on my mouse (R.A.T.7) is nearly impossible to hit so I rarely bind it to anything. I also use this function so rarely that it doesn't have much of an impact to my gameplay. I just included it to give a full picture. :D

I'm not sure I get this.

If you at hitting Q while your mouse is hovered over a monster, your monk will direct her attacks at that monster specifically. Against large monster especially, this can cause the third AoE hit to be centered on a monster that has a very large hitbox and thus not get very much AoE out of it.

If, instead, you target behind where the monsters are, your monk will attack exactly where you are pointing and then the hits will be assigned to whatever is closest (as long as there is a target in range). This allows you to aim the third AoE hit between two monsters and hit both of them when clicking on either one separately would result in only 1 hit.

I saw an earlier post by you mentioning this so I tried it, but it did not work. I didn't know I needed to hold the Space button for this to work :(
What do you think of a combo like 3x QQQE and then R and LMB while circling with the mouse outside the mob circle and holding Space? I would not need to release Space for any of these spells, right? Could this work?

In order for this combo to work properly, you need to hold down the spacebar the entire time. Because your mouse will always be outside the "ring" of monsters, if you ever let the spacebar up you will try to move (be unable to due to blocked mobs) stop attacking and die.

The usual combo I follow is:
Q Q Q E E E R LMB
or, with the MoE variant where spamming R is terrible:
Q Q Q E E E E LMB (without MoC:O, your EP's will all do less damage so having 1 more of them is helpful)

What do you think about a low budget (say around 25M) "cowboy monk" (I like the name someone suggested earlier) video/guide? You could adress optional setups for worse geared monks like mine, that need a slightly tankier build to survive higher MPs.

I may be able to do this, but to be totally honest with you, I doubt I will. I really love helping people when I can, but I also really love doing me-stuff in D3. This means I will rarely make videos about things that don't directly benefit me in some way.

This may sound a bit self-centered but it just happens to be the way I play. I try to maximize the amount I can help people while still generally doing the stuff I like to do.

For example, I spend a lot of my in-game time accepting friends requests and then answering questions and such. However, while doing this, I am almost always farming VotA or FoM. This way I get to play the game (the way I like to play it) and also help people.

Always worth asking though! ;D
Reply Quote
Druin, I just want to extend a personal thank you for all the work done. Actually it's the only thing that keeps me interested in the game.

I have tried subject build at MP 7-10 (DPS 175-200K) with some skill/gear/dual-wield/Skorn variations and it's REALLY fun to play.

However, I only got 2 brimstone legendaries after 5 hours and switched back to speed TR farming at MP3. I will give it another try on the weekend.

Thanks again! KUTGW!

K.
Edited by Krondor#1914 on 7/15/2013 8:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Druin,

Made a sample video of your build on DW set up

Hope you don't mind putting this on this topic for people to check it out.

------

http://youtu.be/qwtw-J95Nu8

-----

Spec used: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WdSeVk!ZbX!bbcbZa
D3rawr Spec: http://www.d3rawr.com/d-As1rH
Reply Quote
And this is the backlash DW version.

http://youtu.be/w13DR8_UhaM
Reply Quote
Druin,

What was your best mob count per hour again?

Was it like 1700/hr or something?
Reply Quote
Listen I used to argue for backlash all the time back in the day.. it will not beat OA for damage.. only survivability.

Backlash is not for 2h either.. Maximize damage by 1h .. the damage each flash does is based off of your attack speed 9% AS is about ~4% more weapon damage if I recall correctly.

Kim... Ive killed 250 during a resource shrine. (With 3 other players)

Resource shrine is so good. I hate when people grab shrines when no ones around.. *BOOT
Edited by Darth#1885 on 7/16/2013 11:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
oh hey pup.. the general key binding for standin still is shift not space.
It definitely helps casting if the mobs are still close by.. Ive played around with WoL cast speed so much its definitely a timing thing too.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
07/15/2013 08:10 AMPosted by Krondor
Druin, I just want to extend a personal thank you for all the work done. Actually it's the only thing that keeps me interested in the game.

Thank you so much for the support!!

I am really glad that my guides help anyone have fun let alone keep someone playing! <3

———————————————————————————————————————

07/15/2013 11:56 AMPosted by Fitz
I am assuming you don't run into this issue with your setup. If that is the case, Is Backlash softening up enough mobs to make it worthwhile for you? I know you like to collect a ton before firing.

My bells almost always 1 shot the entire pack.

I switched to WoL:WoL when I switched to Backlash because without the 48% extra damage from Overawe I was having a bit more trouble with it.

Backlash does a great job softening up mobs and will sometimes kill entire packs before I get my bell off.
Backlash also allows me to run without STI as well which is really nice! :D

———————————————————————————————————————

Druin,

Made a sample video of your build on DW set up

Hope you don't mind putting this on this topic for people to check it out

That is awesome Kim! Thanks for making that and sharing it.

Would you mind if I made a blurb in the main post linking your video as an example of how it works with dual 1h?

Druin,

What was your best mob count per hour again?

Was it like 1700/hr or something?

My best recorded single run is 7200 mobs/hr I believe.

My best recorded hour run is like 6800.

However, I haven't done FoM in over a month because I have been so focused on getting 50+ DE's/hr in VotA lately.

Once I hit that benchmark I will go back to trying to break my FoM record. :D
Reply Quote
Sure man. Feel free to link it.

I personally like the overawe version much better. I did do multiple runs for both variant, and it feels like I have to wait more time to blow the stuff while in the middle of the pack.

And got it on the mobs/hr. I've never really tried doing it, thought I would try it with your build. haha
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Backlash is not for 2h either.. Maximize damage by 1h .. the damage each flash does is based off of your attack speed 9% AS is about ~4% more weapon damage if I recall correctly.

Hey Darth,

Just FYI, this is not true at all. Backlash scales with IAS just like every other "DPS based" skill.
The more IAS you have, the harder it hits, the more average damage you have, the harder it hits. There is absolutely no preference for a 2h spec vs a dual 1h spec vs a sword/board spec.

Backlash simply does 35% of your paperdoll DPS when you dodge.

If monk1 has 3.0 APS and 100k DPS, his backlash will SAY it does "105% weapon damage" and it will actually hit for 35k damage each time.

If monk2 has 1.0 APS and 100k DPS, his backlash will SAY it does "35% weapon damage" and it will actually hit for 35k damage each time.

As you can see, both monks have the same "DPS" and thus their backlashes both hit for the same damage.

The only stat that affects backlash MORE than any other stat is Dex because it increases both the damage Backlash does AND the chance it has to proc (via dodge).

07/16/2013 11:11 AMPosted by Darth
the general key binding for standin still is shift not space.

I could argue this point until I was red in the face, but I disagree 100%.

I think spacebar is a SIGNIFICANTLY better keybind for stand-still-attack when compared with Shift.

However, keybinds, unlike specs, are 100% up to the user. If you feel comfy holding your hand in such a way as to make shift > spacebar, then shift is strictly better than spacebar.
Edited by Druin#1518 on 7/16/2013 11:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Updated main guide to include Kim's videos (thanks dude!!) and I changed some of the skill descriptions to allow for alt-specs with backlash or wall of light or FoT:Q or Firestorm ... or w/e!
Reply Quote
Great!

This build is awesome for DW monks as well.

Thanks for the build, Druin.
Reply Quote
Hey Druin,

Loving the guide and the build so far! My issue is that I'm having some trouble surviving. I literally just started trying this spec so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, but I feel like my eHP is pretty low as well (my gear is just patched together from my other characters).

I'm unsure of which pieces of gear I can swap out to sustain damage but increase my eHP for a reasonable price. Any tips?

In terms of budget, I can probably sell enough gear to scrape up a couple hundred mil for the time being.... and a little over a bil if I sell some items i'd rather not part with.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
Update your profile with the gears on. It's not showing the stuff atm.
Reply Quote
woops all set!
Reply Quote
Shift for stand-still all the way. Spacebar would be so bad if you play other games, like First person shooters, would totally mess me up in those games after playing D3. Still easy to hit 12345 while holding shift.
Reply Quote
Added this guide linky on my video Druin!

Hope you don't mind. I did write it's your guide!

Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Added this guide linky on my video Druin!

Hope you don't mind. I did write it's your guide!

I will basically never mind! Keep making good content and I will keep being happy when it ties into my content! <3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]