Diablo® III

S&B Gearing Guide

S&B Gearing Guide
Written by Professor
Information provided by AE (Arreat Elite)
Special thanks to Baller, Celanian, and Crypter

Introduction
S&B is short for “Sword and Board”. This means your Barbarian is using a Sword in their main hand and a shield in the offhand.

History
The concept goes back to Diablo 3’s launch in May 2012 when Inferno difficulty was extremely challenging (nearly impossible!). It was a struggle to survive let alone farm inferno. The original S&B barbarian played like a tank, killing very slowly and needed to outlast/survive longer than the monsters to progress.

Enter June, 2013
Now that the game has evolved, so has this style of play. The S&B barbarian now forges ahead, leading the party. Charging headlong into battle, without fear of death or pain, they unleash the full fury of Arreat Summit, killing and maiming demons in their path. The forces of hell itself cannot stop this barbarian.

Beginner S&B Set
When making a barbarian set of gear it is important to have some idea of where you’re going in terms of what stats to aim for. Below is a simple list you can use as a benchmark/checklist when you acquire gear for your set. These only needs to be used when you’re just starting out and perhaps don’t know what to look for. When you become more advanced with the class/build you generally have a better understanding of what to look for in gearing.

Beginner S&B Stats to Aim for:
1.75 aps
600 all resist
60,000 hp
7000 armor
40% cc
300% cd
12% ms
3% ls
25% block rate

Helm: Mempo of Twilight
-double strength
-vitality
-socket with amethyst (or ruby if leveling)

Body Armor: Blackthorns Surcoat
-strength
-200+ vitality
-socket with three ruby’s

Pants: Blackthorns Jousting Mail
-50+ all resist
-2 open socket
-socket with two amethyst

Belt: Immortal Kings Tribal Binding
-150+ strength
-vitality or armor
-3% life steal
-bash or frenzy damage

Boots: Immortal King’s Stride
-150+ vitality
-90+ strength

Shoulders: Vile Wards or Rare
-250+ strength
-vitality
-All Resist
-Armor (optional)

Gloves: Rare
-150+ strength
-7%+ Critical Hit Chance
-Vitality
-All Resist

Ring 1: Rare
-Strength
-Vitality
-9% Ias
-4%+ CC

Ring 2: Rare
-Strength
-Vitality
-9% Ias
-4%+ CC

Amulet: Rare
-Strength
-Vitality
-8%+ CC
-70%+ CD

Bracers: Rare
-Strength
-Vitality
-All Resist / Armor
-4.5+ CC

Weapon: Rare Sword
-1000+ Dps
-50%+ CD
-Open Socket
-Socket with Emerald

Shield: Stormsheild
25%+ Block rate
8%+ CC
180+ Strength

Typical Passives:
Weapon master, Ruthless, Tough as Nails

Result: 120-140k Dps after Battle Rage, 1.5-2million+ Ehp
Should be capable of Mp0-4

=========================================
Advanced S&B Stats to Aim for
using gear only:
1.8-2.0+ aps
650+ all resist
60,000 hp
7500 armor
50% cc
400% cd
24% ms
3% ls
33-34% block rate

You will notice, not much has changed other then damage. That's because the idea is to get EHP first and then incorporate dps modifiers like average damage, attack speed, critical damage and critical chance. Higher strength will also contribute a great deal to damage. As Baller says "its hard to slay monsters when your dead"

Advanced Set – Baller / Celanian Tank Style
Mempo – 9ias, 4.5cc+, 180+ str, socket with amethyst

IK Chest – 400 combined stats, high Ar, socket with 3 ruby

IK Belt – 250+ strength, vitality, high Ar, 3% life steal, bash or frenzy

IK Gloves (or rares) – 170+ strength, 70+ all resist, 40+ CD, 9-10 CC

Ice Climbers – 180+ strength, vitality, 12% movement speed, socket with ruby

Lacuni’s – Str, Vit, 9ias, 5-6%CC (or Substitute 70+ AR for vitality)

Vile Wards or Rare – 250+ strength, %life, vitality, 70+ All resist, Armor

Rare Pants – 150+ strength, 240+ vitality, 70+ all resist, Armor, 2 Socket (ruby’s)
(alternate choice – blackthorns pants with 300+ vitality, baller has 390 vit on his BT pants for example…)

Stormshield – 33-34% Block, 9-10% CC, 180+ Strength, 7%elite, 5-6% melee.

Rare Sword – 1100+ dps, black damage, strength, 50%+ critical damage, ias, open socket (socket with Ruby or Emerald, must check with d3rawr or d3up to see which adds more dps for you).

Soj – 29-30% elite damage, 6% elemental damage, Bash or Frenzy skill
(alternate choice – rare with cc/cd/average damage/ strength, or trifecta)

Litany of Undaunted – 7% elite (don’t waste your time with 6% elite), 40%+ CD, 4.5CC, 160+ Strength
(alternate choice – Rare trifecta ring with strength AR or Armor or Vitality)

Amulet – rare, 8-10cc, 80%+ cd, high strength, vitality, (all resist / %life), average damage. This slot is best if you avoid “ehp” stuff and go for all damage.

This setup nets very high EHP and has a good solid damage base for killing. This should be able to reach 2.2aps in beserker which means you can WW with this if desired. Hota works well due to the tanky-ness of the setup. You can use passives like brawler, stand in the middle of 200 monsters, rend, then hota away. Typical EHP numbers range from 2million to 3million and beyond. Damage numbers can vary, but it’s typically over 200k+ dps, and tdps of over 2million.

IK 3 piece is considered one of the best ways to achieve a really tanky build. The extra %melee reduction, the ability to have 70+ AR on gloves / belt and body armor + the bonus from the set of 60 Ar is huge.

===========================================
Advanced Set 2 – Professor / Crypter Damage Style
Mempo – 9ias, 4.5cc+, 180+ str, socket with amethyst

IK Chest – 400 combined stats, high Ar, socket with 3 ruby

Witching Hour – 200+ Strength, Vitality (or AR, or Armor) 9%ias, 45+ CD) It is really difficult to purchase one with 200+ strength and AR, most choose Vitality, %life or Armor as their “ehp” for the belt.

IK Gloves 170+ strength, 70+ all resist, 40+ CD, 9-10 CC
(alternate choice – IK gloves with 200+ strength, Vitality , 9-10cc, 40+cd **must have ik gloves with this set to create the 2 piece bonus**)

Ice Climbers – 180+ strength, vitality, 12% movement speed, socket with ruby

Lacuni’s – Str, Vit, 9ias, 5-6%CC (or Substitute 70+ AR for vitality)

Vile Wards or Rare – 250+ strength, %life, vitality, 70+ All resist, Armor

Depth Digger Pants – 250+ strength, Vitality, 2 socket with Ruby Ruby

Stormshield – 33-34% Block, 9-10% CC, 180+ Strength, 7%elite, 5-6% melee.

Rare Sword – 1100+ dps, black damage, strength, 50%+ critical damage, ias, open socket (socket with Ruby or Emerald, must check with d3rawr or d3up to see which adds more dps for you). Life steal is good on the sword, however, expensive and sometimes results in a lower Dps sword. Crypter and Myself prefer Bloodthirst Passive.

Soj – 29-30% elite damage, 6% elemental damage, Bash or Frenzy skill
(alternate choice – rare with cc/cd/average damage/ strength, or trifecta)

Rare trifecta ring with high strength (or low strength and Average Damage)

Amulet – rare, 8-10cc, 80%+ cd, high strength, vitality, (all resist / %life), average damage. This slot is best if you avoid “ehp” stuff and go for all damage.

Several differences with the damage set. It includes a witching hour, Depth Diggers and a trifecta ring. The concept here is to pump out damage while having a moderate – high ehp. Should be able to reach 1.5-2m Ehp, and 200-300k dps or beyond! This setup, while it doesn't have the insane Ehp as the other, it does have slightly more killing power. Typical skills with a setup such as this are WW spec with Overpower Killing Spree or Hota with Rend Bloodlust. I have even used a combination of WW with Hota and that also works well.

Breakpoints
Try and aim for 2.2 or 2.5 aps while in Wrath of Berserker. This will set you up nicely for either a WW or a Hota build.

Total Domination! A little about the contributors

The following people deserve recognition for their hard work and effort in their builds and theory crafting. Thank you for all your help and guidance!

Baller#1390
DPS Unbuffed: 199,868
EHP Unbuffed: 3,044,456
Diablo Progress Top PvP rankings 1 to 10 for over 8 months (and counting…)
The go-to guy when it comes to tanking and everything S&B. He is a real life barbarian and competes in strong man competitions. Mr. "atlas stones" is crazy strong!

Crypter#1856
DPS Unbuffed: TBD – Missing Gear
EHP Unbuffed: TBD – Missing Gear
Diablo Progress top PvP rankings 20-40 for over 10 months
Started building his S&B set differently then everybody, ended up with a "dps" based tank. Decided to lower his ehp slightly and went for max power! Always is helpful and fun to play with.

Celanian#1548
DPS Unbuffed: 213,459
Ehp Unbuffed: 1,926,862
Diablo Progress top PvP rankings 20-40 for over 7 months (and counting…)
Also a fantastic person, very generous and helpful always. Great resource for S&B chats about gear sets. Without his help my barbarian would not be as good as it is now. Thanks so much!

About the Author
Professor#1152
DPS Unbuffed: 244,790
EHP Unbuffed: 1,678,629
Diablo Progress Top PvP rankings 16-35 for over 6 months (and counting…)
Edited by Professor#1152 on 6/4/2013 8:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Common Skill Setups

Note: If using IK belt, aim for Brawler Passive on easy Mp's and Tough as Nails on harder content like Act 4.If using Witching hour, your third passive is going to be Bloodlust, this means there is a bit steeper requirement for defensive gear as you can't rely on Tough as Nails anymore for that huge armor boost.

Crytper's Hota Farming Spec
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZcQRP!ZYd!bZZZYc
Max damage for hota with the overpower and bash, works great in a party or solo farming. Downside might be no movement skill but 24% ms helps a lot with this type of skill spec.

Baller's Hota Farming Spec.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WZUcRP!ZYV!cZZZYc
Very tanky build. Tough as nails is used (aka you need Ik Belt). Great vs elites, slower vs trash mobs but for elite farming, this works very well.

Celanian's - Hota, Sprint, Rend
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZUcRP!ZYg!bZbZYc
This is an "in your face" build, get in the middle of monsters and allow brawler to turn on, bash x1, 2 or 3 and then hota / rend away. Sprint to the next pack and repeat. Baller also uses this but with Frenzy (and frenzy Ik belt / Frenzy soj) instead of bash.

Professor's - DTWW, Hota
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ahUZRP!ZYd!bZZZYc
Used when farming in a party. WW kills trash mobs, Hota for Elites.

Professor's DTWW spec
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ahUQRP!ZYd!bZZZYc
General Farming spec. Typical WW setup for skills. Works well in all situations, but poor vs elites at times and in parties.

Notice all builds have a fury generator. Bash - Punish or Frenzy Maniac. There is a reason for this, it is superior to any build to have a fury generator that doubles as a damage buff. Some prefer bash due to its higher damage output. Some hate the knockback of Bash and go with frenzy, both are totally viable options.

Soj
-5 Fury Hota Soj's are not good for our spec.
Gaining fury:
1. When your hit
2. When you block
3. When you critical on attack
4. When you bash or frenzy

How much *bleeping* fury do you need? is 5 less fury going to matter? No...its not. Your standing in garbage all day long, poison, molten, desecration etc.. Getting mobbed by lord knows how many goats and zombies and creatures that make me want to vomit. If you can't gain fury with a SnB then your doing it wrong. This type of soj has no place for the SnB.

Look for a Bash / Frenzy / WW Crit with 6% elemental damage. Anything that adds damage is great, minus fury is a waste.
Edited by Professor#1152 on 6/5/2013 7:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Very nice guide :) hopefully more people will start to use SnB!

May I add something?

"RESPECT THE SHIELD" - Nikeboy
Reply Quote
Very nice guide :) hopefully more people will start to use SnB!

May I add something?

"RESPECT THE SHIELD" - Nikeboy
uhm believe in the shield, lolol j/k
Reply Quote
I gotta say, i'm pretty sure that ehp isn't the most important stat for s&b, although it is an element of the equation.
Reply Quote
I gotta say, i'm pretty sure that ehp isn't the most important stat for s&b, although it is an element of the equation.

What is the most important stat for a s&b?
Reply Quote

What is the most important stat for a s&b?

like I said, ehp is important, but only an element of the most important stat in my opinion, which I will call effective hp regen for lack of a better term.

effective(ehp/actual hp)* hp regen/sec

where ehp/actual hp is a scalar value which multiplies the effectiveness of your hp regen (life per second + loh*(skill modifier*effective attacks/sec)+(life steal*difficulty modifier*effective damage/sec)

when someone has a high enough effective hp regen, they almost cannot die.

I say this is a sword n board stat because 2 handers can rarely get high enough ehp to make this effective.

block value(blocking %*block amount) is also up there, although flat ehp - block ehp might be more important, since without that initial ehp blocking is not nearly as effective.

I'm trying to show this with my current build you can see on my profile where I can solo mp7 with 0 life steal and only 280 loh and can live pretty well but can't do enough damage to be effective in mp10...all with 17k base life (19.5k with regen rune warcry).

with enough mitigation, I believe ehp gets superceded by ehp/hp*life regen.

I know it sounds like i'm talking in circles, it may even sound like i'm trying to be combative but i'm really not...ehp is extremely important, i'm just not sure if only looking at ehp is simplifying the game too much
Reply Quote
I would think that with a LS sword and Bloodthirst, I I pretty much can't die. However, finding a sword with equal DPS to what I have and LS is nearly impossible at this point. I will NOT pay $200+ on the RMAH for such an item. However, the only time I EVER die is when those damn Occult SOB's freeze me when there are about 3-4 Arcane's in play.

Additionally, I have crunched the numbers and my current shield is only deficient in EHP by 10k or so to even the best Stormshield's. So why should I waste 1-2 billion gold on such an insignificant "upgrade?"

Btw, I REALLY love this thread and I'm always alone being the sword and board guy on MP even though I can usually crush everyone else. :-)
Reply Quote
one day i am gonna try your build bulvai, there is just one problem i have with it, it has no sprint :( and i hate moving slow i am at 171 k and 1,85 mill atm
Edited by AlNeo#2621 on 6/5/2013 12:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
nice..

S&B for life!!!
Reply Quote
trying to switch to S&B what do you guys recommend I change about my setup.
Reply Quote
Not to sound like a total jerk face but... Did you read any of the thread? It lists what snb use for setups.
Reply Quote
yeah I read it, I usually make wrong decisions in gearing thats why I need someone to point me in the right direction.

just give me something to aim at. if you dont want to then its fine :D
Reply Quote
Oh no prob;) start with getting a 8 cc storm shield with 180+ str and 25+ block. Most of your gear looks food for the setup, you might want a sword, and rare pants too. Keep the ik chest and glove, Mempo looks good, witching hour is okay for now, buy really cheap ik belt to see how u like ik 3 piece... Once you figure out if u want to tank more or dps more it's easier to gear you;)

Keep asking questions, everybody is real friendly I'm sure they can help u out
Reply Quote
thanks professor, followed your advice and got my self some items I've got in storage and equipped them. loving SnB now haha makes me feel unkillable
Reply Quote
I would think that with a LS sword and Bloodthirst, I I pretty much can't die. However, finding a sword with equal DPS to what I have and LS is nearly impossible at this point. I will NOT pay $200+ on the RMAH for such an item. However, the only time I EVER die is when those damn Occult SOB's freeze me when there are about 3-4 Arcane's in play.

Additionally, I have crunched the numbers and my current shield is only deficient in EHP by 10k or so to even the best Stormshield's. So why should I waste 1-2 billion gold on such an insignificant "upgrade?"

Btw, I REALLY love this thread and I'm always alone being the sword and board guy on MP even though I can usually crush everyone else. :-)

this is when life regen comes into play, life steal is great, life regen is supremely important to survive when you are incapacitated (this will be even more important when we likely lose full uptime for wotb)
Reply Quote
06/05/2013 06:37 AMPosted by mumuchacha01
thanks professor, followed your advice and got my self some items I've got in storage and equipped them. loving SnB now haha makes me feel unkillable

Yea it's a great feeling that you can't be killed hardly at all. It's quite OP indeed :)
Reply Quote
if anyone needs a set built ingame, you are free to add me and we will build on s & b set fitting your budgets.
Reply Quote
should probly post a link to the snb q+a thread but nice guide good work boys!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]