Diablo® III

S&B Gearing Guide

Glad everybody likes it :)

(I must have done a good job writing this, all the trolls are absent! Haha)
Reply Quote
Thanks for this thread! I have been searching S&B Builds and most were out dated. Can you also recommend skills for the early & mid range builds.

I didn't know there was an unofficial PVP league - thats pretty cool!
Reply Quote
Yes I will in about an hour, I'm at work (im an engineer)on my phone, but the pvp rankings typically show ppl with both high ehp and high dps. That's why I consider pvp ranking a pretty accurate way to measure how well geared you are. It's all just numbers but never the less it's still great to achieve or strive to be in the mix of those players.

Other things like hero score are not very good at measuring, and you can't search for just dps or just ehp. Therefore pvp rankings offer best of both, a complete build, with high dps and high ehp. Some ppl have a little bit false ranking and have 40k dps with 5m ehp. That is not so good but if you search on diablo progress for pvp barbs ranks you can find other really good geared barbs to check out;)
Reply Quote
This is a pretty cool guide. I've been seriously debating on going s&b for a little bit now. I may make the transition...
Reply Quote
This is a pretty cool guide. I've been seriously debating on going s&b for a little bit now. I may make the transition...

I went S&B after grinding almost 70 of my 100 paragon levels as WW and I'll never go back! I love being able to facetank just about anything MP10 has to offer without having to kite much (if any). I need to work on my gear a bit more and then I'm going to see how I fare doing MP10 Ubers solo.
Reply Quote
Amen Professor. S&B is the only way to go.......for any class lol always nice to wade through anything while everyone else is dropping like flies around you :)
Reply Quote
Thanks for this thread! I have been searching S&B Builds and most were out dated. Can you also recommend skills for the early & mid range builds.

I didn't know there was an unofficial PVP league - thats pretty cool!

one of the most viable early builds for a s & B is

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WckRVP!ZYX!aZcaaZ

Frenzy will keep your wrath full

Rend and Revenge will keep you alive

you run around and stack as many monsters around as you and then you keep spamming revenge and rend, you literally cant die

Warcry can be swapped with Leap or Overpower (killing spree)
Reply Quote
Hey Professor,

Great job writing this guide out, you are truly a great asset to our community. I cannot thank you enough for the great write up and kind words about me :)

For everyone reading this forum, Professor is a great guy and deserves some solid street cred around the barb forum.

Also I would invite you new SnB barbs to check out my Softcore profile for end result type SnB barb and my Hardcore profile for a pretty beginner/intermediate version that will allow you to mop down some pretty high MPs and keep wrath up. I know I had spoke with professor about the APS goals and I really think you can get buy with a 1.40 APS Sword and 2 pieces of 8+ AIS on gear, however 3 pieces with AIS and a sword is preferred.

Once again, great write up Professor, really appreciate you doing this.

Very Respectfully,

BALLER

"Respect the Shield" Nikeboy the great barb from down under.
Reply Quote
Common Skill Builds:

Note: If using IK belt, aim for Brawler Passive on Easy Mp's and Tough as Nails on harder content like Act 4.

If using Witching hour, your third passive is going to be Bloodlust, this means there is a bit steeper requirement for defensive gear as you can't rely on Tough as Nails anymore for that huge armor boost.

Crytper's Hota Farming Spec
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZcQRP!ZYd!bZZZYc
Max damage for hota with the overpower and bash, works great in a party or solo farming. Downside might be no movement skill but 24% ms helps a lot with this type of skill spec.

Baller's Hota Farming Spec.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WZUcRP!ZYV!cZZZYc
Very tanky build. Tough as nails is used (aka you need Ik Belt). Great vs elites, slower vs trash mobs but for elite farming, this works very well.

Celanian's - Hota, Sprint, Rend
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZUcRP!ZYg!bZbZYc
This is an "in your face" build, get in the middle of monsters and allow brawler to turn on, bash x1, 2 or 3 and then hota / rend away. Sprint to the next pack and repeat. Baller also uses this but with Frenzy (and frenzy Ik belt / Frenzy soj) instead of bash.

Professor's - DTWW, Hota
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ahUZRP!ZYd!bZZZYc
Used when farming in a party. WW kills trash mobs, Hota for Elites.

Professor's DTWW spec
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ahUQRP!ZYd!bZZZYc
General Farming spec. Typical WW setup for skills. Works well in all situations, but poor vs elites at times and in parties.
Edited by Professor#1152 on 6/5/2013 7:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Added page #2 here http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9245384455?page=1#2
Reply Quote
Awesome guide.

I just sold some dex pants for $50 (most ever by a multiple of 10) and I can't wait to snag some new S&B gear from the list!
Reply Quote
Awesome guide.

I just sold some dex pants for $50 (most ever by a multiple of 10) and I can't wait to snag some new S&B gear from the list!

Congrats, and glad u like the guide.

Please, feel free to ask questions if u got any. Lots of people can help you out ;)
Reply Quote
I bought a Stormshield just now with the following stats for 6m

34% block
19x str
74 AR
9.5 cc
6/6 reduce

The armor was only 1085 or so but I think it was worth it lol.
Edited by xxxkan#1130 on 6/5/2013 9:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'd like to suggest an SnB build for your guide, the revenger.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WcQRVP!ZYg!cZZacZ

I use two skill sets with my barb, HotA for ubers and revenger for general farming. I've played both skill sets and compared in MP10 fields of misery on KW farming and I reckon they are fairly similar in killing speed. Either way, I think that the revenger build is very SnB orientated. It's a viable build so perhaps, a mention in your guide?

Basic game play is you build a crowd, rush into the middle of them. revenge will activate often with 15+ critters beating on you. If your CC is high enough (Mine is 70% on revenge plus OP) then Revenge will reset OP's timer with one attack. HotA usually takes 2 or 3 attacks to reset OP's timer. This basically means that everytime you use revenge, you can use OP instantly afterwards. Both attacks (and rend as well) are 360 degree circle attacks.
Again, compared to HotA, my barb lands 5-8 crits per HotA(smash) attack on a crowd where as Revenge/OP land a dozen or more crits per use. It's hard to count, but if your surrounded by 20 critters, 80% CC, that's 16 will be critted.

HotA hits for 406% weapon damage. Get it right, I believe in the same time you can get off one OP and one revenge attack. 165% + 220% = 385% weapon damage. If you add in marauders rage rune, an extra 15% there, the two are almost line ball.

But HotA hits a smaller area. Hence why I believe that revenger has a higher damage output on a crowd compared to HotA/smash.
Other HotA runes hit a bigger area than Smash, but the damage is lower @ 325% and still does not hit as many as revenge/OP can IF, you are completely surrounded.

The difference is how you play the build. The more you get surrounded with the revenger, the faster you kill.

Hope I've sold the build to you well enough to consider including it in your guide.

Nice job on the guide Professor!

Edit.

While I am at it, I'm curious about your two WW skills you posted. I think my Barb is around the 2.5aps mark currently in WotB. I did try WW some time ago and it wasn't great, but that was a few upgrades ago.
Anything specific I'd need to change/address for some spin to win with my SnB that you can see?
Edited by Asmodeous#1189 on 6/6/2013 12:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok I did it. Swapped to snb. Kept my mh axe and i bought a lifesteal EF so I can just swap weapons to go back to dw/dt/hota hybrid (just for the record =P ), but i geared up for snb to be my main spec (different pants/belt/shield/sword/tankier bracers). About 2mtdps all buffed up, and hella ehp. Did some ubers last night and just face tanked everything. same with fields in act 1 mp10, trees are like little dogs nipping at my heals now and i just stand in the middle of everything.

Ignore my fake dps I just realized I must have shut down with stuff up and running. It should be like 205k with just passives and soj.
Edited by tomcruise#1666 on 6/6/2013 5:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So what's the verdict Tom? Do you like it?
Reply Quote
06/06/2013 06:01 AMPosted by Professor

Do noticably less damage than my last set. I'd say I deal like 70% of what I would be doing in my DW setup. But, the way of life is amazing. Right now I'm just running with 3% lifesteal and I feel like I can't die. I still have an axe/ef for if/when I want to go back or speed farm, but for now I can't see me playing anything else. Very glad I switched.

I ran ww/hota hybrid for farming, and frenzy maniac/rend/hota for ubers and it was great.

I would still like to eventually upgrade the sword, get some trifecta irons, and ms ic boots in the long run tho.
Reply Quote

Do noticably less damage than my last set. I'd say I deal like 70% of what I would be doing in my DW setup. But, the way of life is amazing. Right now I'm just running with 3% lifesteal and I feel like I can't die. I still have an axe/ef for if/when I want to go back or speed farm, but for now I can't see me playing anything else. Very glad I switched.

I ran ww/hota hybrid for farming, and frenzy maniac/rend/hota for ubers and it was great.

I would still like to eventually upgrade the sword, get some trifecta irons, and ms ic boots in the long run tho.

most people with good enough gear to get a decent ehp - dps ratio dont want to go back :) no worries, there is just nothing more enjoyable standing in a pack of 4 elitegrps at mp 9 + and whacking on and killing them pretty damn fast.
Edited by AlNeo#2621 on 6/6/2013 6:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/06/2013 06:35 AMPosted by AlNeo

most people with good enough gear to get a decent ehp - dps ratio dont want to go back :) no worries, there is just nothing more enjoyable standing in a pack of 4 elitegrps at mp 9 + and whacking on and killing them pretty damn fast.

I was around 750k ehp with my DW setup. I could do mp10 runs/ubers without dying. This is just... I don't know... more relaxing I guess. I didn't switch over cause I couldn't survive, more or less I just wanted a change. Same old same old gets boring quick. Plus it's awesome to be able to stop in a pack and look down at my phone and send a text or something without dying LOL.
Reply Quote
You can do plenty of damage , I'm at 664k full buff damage. And a tdps of 2.6-2.7million. That's enough to kill pretty fast and have high ehp too
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]