Diablo® III

S&B Gearing Guide

I have 2 SS to give away btw, anybody want one? They are starter ones with 8-9 cc lower ish block
Reply Quote
Professor,
Thanks, what a helpful guide! I recently began leveling up a Barb after working 2 distance attackers, a DH and a Wiz. Tho I really love the Wiz, but Barb is refreshing- BAM! When I saw this, I was trying to figure out dual wield thing, and I was hoping for a setup where I could just tank everything without worrying about whether the right type of weapon, or is it in the correct hand....

I'm currently using cleave as main attack. Any thoughts on using cleave vs bash? Is it just a preference thing? I'm currently switching back and forth and at this level, I don't see a big diff. Still figuring out what I like in terms of skills.

Best regards.
Edited by Heraken#1337 on 6/7/2013 9:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
prof..i can take one..wont be on for another 5 hours though lol.
Reply Quote
That's ok I'm at work I won't be either ;)
Reply Quote
Professor,
Thanks, what a helpful guide! I recently began leveling up a Barb after working 2 distance attackers, a DH and a Wiz. Tho I really love the Wiz, but Barb is refreshing- BAM! When I saw this, I was trying to figure out dual wield thing, and I was hoping for a setup where I could just tank everything without worrying about whether the right type of weapon, or is it in the correct hand....

I'm currently using cleave as main attack. Any thoughts on using cleave vs bash? Is it just a preference thing? I'm currently switching back and forth and at this level, I don't see a big diff. Still figuring out what I like in terms of skills.

Best regards.

Glad you enjoy the guide;) I use bash punish rune for decent fury generation and also extra damage buff too . Generally people use bash punish or frenzy maniac for a fury gen/free skill
Reply Quote
I was seriously thinking about switching, but I'm not gonna conform with kan and tomcruise.

And good job with the guide Professor.

Silverfire,

Oh you know you want to man!

I love it, dw is fun to, but I will always like Shield Barbs better, its pretty much a trademark of mine and is my identify, so I roll with it like a champion. That reminds me I need to sell my EF on the RMAH.

Also the reveneger build is very effective, I used to use it exclusively back in the day and can deal some monster dps for farming since you can you mauraders rages rune for battle rage.

If/when I end up switching, yours would definitely be my go-to profile to copy. I love the emphasis you put on every aspect of survivability, not skipping a beat.

Why the emerald instead of ruby like everyone else is running?

FWIW, I haven't run any numbers, but my intuition tells me that emerald is likely better than most people think, even if it reduces paper DPS, because it pretty much directly multiplies HotA damage.
Reply Quote
Really silver? Hmm... How can we figure it out?
Reply Quote
View profile
Tyrael's seems op'd

I just got the one in my profile for 100k...

pretty crazy damage bump to some of the toughest guys in the game (dark berserkers for one)...

have no trouble running mp5 whatsoever...

mp7 can be a challenge vs some boss heavy hitters...

can survive mp10, but can get 1 hit by several boss types

still working away...

go snb
Edited by Fourty2DNAD3#1130 on 6/7/2013 10:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
baller, you need to give me your blackthorne's pants, i'm very jealous :(
Reply Quote
06/07/2013 10:06 AMPosted by Professor

I don't understand and fully trust how d3rawr is calculating HotA damage (its numbers always seem far lower than what I see in game), but if you take BALLER's profile for example and go by d3rawr, the HotA crit number that it lists is 1315422. Switch to a ruby and it's 1273324, a little lower.

The "DPS" number that it lists for ruby is higher (2014340 vs 1971502) because it doesn't take into account the crit chance bonus from fury. At a 100% crit chance, the emerald is going to win by a small margin. At the ~70% crit chance without the bonus, a ruby would win in theory, but in reality, one tends to be much closer to 100%.

Try ghom with both a ruby and emerald. I'd expect it to be a wash, but with the emerald narrowly winning.
Reply Quote
06/07/2013 10:21 AMPosted by silverfire

I don't understand and fully trust how d3rawr is calculating HotA damage (its numbers always seem far lower than what I see in game),...

Did you add Brawler on d3rawr?
Reply Quote
View profile
Just stopping in to give props to the AE. I haven't been playing my barb much lately, but I just picked up a really nice new sword that added 8.6k DPS for me, so I may have to put him back in rotation. Even with my mid-tier gear and low paragon levels, MP10 is no trouble at all. I have solo'd MP10 ubers more than once without ever dying . It took forever, but that was 14k DPS ago, so hopefully it will be a bit less painful next time. Thanks for all the guides and guidance. It would have been extremely hard to build my barb on my budget without it.
Edited by AZsnowstorm#1818 on 6/7/2013 11:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/07/2013 10:03 AMPosted by silverfire
FWIW, I haven't run any numbers, but my intuition tells me that emerald is likely better than most people think, even if it reduces paper DPS, because it pretty much directly multiplies HotA damage.

Baller and I know this already. We had a discussion about this and figured that since the damage numbers are so close between marquis ruby and emerald, that we would go for highest epeen and we stuck with ruby. Even if emerald is better at full fury, it's not that big of a difference and we like having high paper dps. lol
Reply Quote
I want to add that for people who use Hota or Revenge builds (basically all non-WW builds), IK belt is far superior to WH unless you have LS on your weapon. A top WH adds maybe 10-15% or so dps compared to top IK belt but at the cost of a bunch of ehp and locking up a passive. For general farming, you gain 30% dps about 80% of the time using brawler with the new monster densities. That more than outweighs the dps gain from wh. For especially tough runs such as Act4, that freed up passive can be used for Superstition or Tough as Nails for better survivability instead.
Reply Quote
06/07/2013 01:08 PMPosted by Celanian
I want to add that for people who use Hota or Revenge builds (basically all non-WW builds), IK belt is far superior to WH unless you have LS on your weapon. A top WH adds maybe 10-15% or so dps compared to top IK belt but at the cost of a bunch of ehp and locking up a passive. For general farming, you gain 30% dps about 80% of the time using brawler with the new monster densities. That more than outweighs the dps gain from wh. For especially tough runs such as Act4, that freed up passive can be used for Superstition or Tough as Nails for better survivability instead.

I'm having a lot of trouble justifying getting a good witching hour for myself even as a Skorn user with 6% LS. In fact, I'd almost go as far as to say that IK is BIS in practically every case except LS Skorn, or a DTWW user who wants to hit 2.86 APS on both hands.

It simply offer so much, and witching hour offers so little. It's so tempting to look at the massive damage mods that the witching hour brings, but what it brings, it forces you take away twice over elsewhere.

Most simply, the strength, vit, and AR will be much, much higher cost-for-cost versus a witching hour. Even high end WH's don't have high strength, vit and AR on them. The multibillion ones can get you over 200 str and 50 AR with high IAS/CD. Even still they won't give you the vitality that an IK belt will.

And as far as the damage mods, the IAS and CD go, they too are deceptive. There's practically an obligation to go for IK irons just to complete the set bonus. If you use a witching hour without AR as most do, then it's common to have to cram AR on the IK gloves on top of that, leaving you with a max of two damage mods on the gloves. Effectively, the belt has already robbed you of at least one damage mod, or AR/vit that you could have had on your gloves.

And finally, the lifesteal. The witching hour forces you either to use bloodthirst, or to get LS on your weapon. For dual wield users, its typical to get LS on at least one of the weapons when using a WH, oftentimes on the echoing fury, where that LS roll could have been a crit damage roll of up to 100%. For other high-end weapons, LS can be the most expensive property of all. A 1100+ DPS str/CD/OS sword or axe will easily have its value increase ten-fold with an LS roll, a property than an IK belt gives you for free.

If you're S&B, you can get away with just using bloodthirst comfortably, but even from a damage perspective, the 30% extra damage from brawler is going to be greater than the DPS boost that a witching hour gives in practically all cases, not even counting the other compromises it forces you to make.
Reply Quote
I've tried S&B with a WH (150ish STR, 50ish AR variety) and with my IK belt and I prefer the IK belt. eHP is far better and the damage increase from the WH just didn't seem noticeable in actual kill times. I switched to S&B for survivability so it was an easy choice for me...
Reply Quote
thanks Al,

I'll look into the swd and I think I have a ring with CD and CC with some str (was using this for the WW build).

what aps should I be aiming for with this build? i want to use bash, rend, hota, BR, OP and sprint.

great posts..can't wait to try this out.

should aim for 1.81 with that build
Reply Quote
06/07/2013 01:00 PMPosted by Celanian

Baller and I know this already. We had a discussion about this and figured that since the damage numbers are so close between marquis ruby and emerald, that we would go for highest epeen and we stuck with ruby. Even if emerald is better at full fury, it's not that big of a difference and we like having high paper dps. lol

i think you and i discussed this alrdy in one of the s & b threads was 3 or 4 if i recall right, we all came to that conclusion but as you said difference is so low in killing time and epeen ftw!
Reply Quote
Emeralds are better for HOTA. If you have high enough crit and high enough fury you can get 100%crit hit(@.80 proc). So emerald in almost all cases will add more damage to HOTA. Second of d3rawer seems to be very accurate for HOTA. WHen I calculate my HOTA dps and then do actual timed kills, it almost always works out perfect.

Lastly.............do people actually s&b anymore ;)
Reply Quote
View profile
I do it so I can try to beat mp10 with less than 500 vit
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]