Diablo® III

[GUIDE] My 2H Combo Strike Guide (updated!)

The 2H Combo Strike Guide (updated 10/01/2013!!!)
Aka My love letter to Skorn

Disclaimer
While a combo strike build will work for either 2H or DW playstyle, this guide focuses on 2H simply because of my personal love for Skorn. You can certainly play this build as DW, but some of my gearing advice and offspec builds won't apply as well.

Philosophy & History

This build is for people who like the 2H playstyle and want to try out a spec that puts their dps and survivability well beyond their gear-range. I started my main monk out with a cookie cutter build. It worked fine, albeit a tad boring, but I got to the stage where I wanted to move beyond my mp7 farming. I thought I could do this with my decent resists, single lifesteal, 200k BoH buffed dps. I was wrong. Lots of death. Very frustrating transition beyond my usual mp level. I started playing around with a skorn in my cookie cutter builds and found it to be much more effective than my DW setup and let me move into mp9 with no problem. From there I played around with various active and passive skills until I came across the wonderful skill combo strike and my passion for skorn and 2H builds was only increased

Abbreviations used:

FoT:TC = Fists of Thunder: Thunderclap
    WOHF:BF = Way of the Hundred Fists: Blazing Fists
    DR:F = Deadly Reach: Foresight
    CD/CC/IAS = crit damage, crit chance, increased attack speed

Pros:

5% lifesteal on a budget – basically, if you want to go above mp8 without spending billions on your gear, you’ll need “dual lifesteal” – with this setup you get that all in one cute little package called Skorn.

High dps – The variability in dps stats for skorn is much smaller than compared to 2x 1H weapons. Additionally, a solid dps skorn is relatively easy to find on AH for a very low price compared to comparable 1H weapons.

Enough spirit generation to handle 3 second mantra refreshing -- ***with a little IAS (See below)

Some gear freedom – 2H builds free up gear requirements a little bit. Average damage is not the greatest stat when using a 2H, which bumps up the cost of jewelry quite a bit. IAS is relatively better for this build. Skorns have high inherent critical hit damage and only require the use of one marquise gem, etc. All of these things together create a little bit of gear freedom compared to a DW build.

Facetank mp9 and mp10 desecrators, poison pools, etc – only do-able at higher levels of EHP gear, but the high dps and lifesteal allow me to play pretty stupidly and hang out in deathtraps, but still able to survive.

Cons:

Some gear restriction – you need enough increased attack speed to make it not feel like you’re swinging a log around in slow motion.

Lower dps cap-out potential – this can be debated, but in the strictest sense, you can achieve more effective dps with a DW build, if you have an unlimited supply gold to get the necessary 1Hers. I have a few ghom run tests down below that compares the two setups.

Shut up already and tell me the builds:

Maxdps.com variant (best single-target dps, but solid tightly-packed aoe with a lazy playstyle):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aUbSXk!gUX!aZccba

Trash farming variant (great for killing large white packs, little slower vs elites):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aUbSVh!gUX!aZccZc

Playstyle:

It’s pretty simple. Basically, I treat one mob cluster as a “unit of engagement” and as such, this build shines In places with large clusters one after another – Fields of Misery, Dahlgur Oasis, Weeping Hollow, etc.

Maxdps variant
    1) Activate sweeping wind
    2) FoT:TC to first mob (left click for me)
    3) WOHF:BF to get the multihit 2nd attack (right click) – this will easily stack the 3 ias buff with decent crit chance
    4) DR:F the 3rd attack for the 18% dps bonus (1 key for me)
    5) Hit mantra and spam FoT:TC for dps
    6) Renew mantra every 3 seconds and renew WOHF:BF every 8 seconds

Obviously this is an ideal, latency-free, I’m not tired or watching a movie and paying close attention to the game situation. Realistically, I hit sweeping wind and just walk up to the first mob mashing my 1 key to get the deadly reach buff, then I hit mantra and mash WOHF:BF a few times to get my 3 ias stacks, and then I lazily mash FoT:TC for dps.

When I was first getting used to the build, I had to keep my character window open a lot to make sure all my buffs were up and I was getting my max dps, since the DR:F 30 second buff doesn’t show up on the buff window but instead is a faint green glow around your toon that is easily obscured by sweeping wind and cyclone graphics.

Trash farming variant
Same setup as above, but your spirit spender is the EP, not mantra spam. Engage a group of mobs, get your combo strike rolling, and hit EP on a mob or two while doing so. As one explodes, your spirit should fill back up from the Strong Spirit rune on EP, allowing you to continue the chain and keep EP'ing mobs until the pack is dead (which happens pretty quickly)

EP takes some getting used to -- how many EPs you apply per pack is going to depend on your dps, since overkilling it will just drain your spirit and underdoing it will slow down your kill speeds. My happy medium is 2 EPs per pack, which kills off anything within the blast radius and allows me to turbo through the Fields of Misery.

Gearing:

As I mentioned above, you have a little bit more freedom, but a little bit more restriction in gearing, if that makes any sense. Skorn is a naturally slow 2H weapon and if you don’t have any IAS on your gear, this build just isn’t going to work. You’ll go crazy watching the animation take forever and you won’t generate enough spirit to allow for mantra refreshing. Over time I’ve improved my gear, but I was running around with a budget setup for quite a while that was still very effective. So, I’ll break down 3 different gearing sets:

Newbie (aka I have a skorn what now?)

As I said, you need increased attack speed to make that skorn shine. Here is what I would suggest for starters:

Helm: Inna’s with 6 crit and high dex and your resist of choice. Can find one on AH dirt cheap.
    Neck: Crafted or find one on AH with dex, vit, crit, and ias. Also will be dirt cheap
    Shoulders: Vile Ward with dex, vit, your resist, and all resist. One with under 200 dex will cost only a couple mil, if that
    Chest: Tal Rasha’s chest with vit and dex roll and 3 sockets. Use this piece to boost your vit, the dex roll cap isn’t very high. Or you could get one with less vit and your resist OR all resist for very cheap. Good slot for some decent EHP + the IAS
    Belt: Witching Hour is the only real option. They’re a tad more expensive, but the IAS is necessary. Upgrade this over time to better stats
    Pants: Inna’s pants, only option. They’re cheap too. One with dex and your chosen resist roll. Dirt cheap
    Boots: Natalya’s Bloody Footprints. Get one with high dex and your resist + all resist. Combined with ring, can’t beat the 7 crit, ias (Ring), dex, resists, etc.
    Ring 1: Nat’s. Start with just a plain one with a high ias roll. Those will be very cheap. Over time you can upgrade this (and you’ll have to), but this will get expensive. You can sneak one in with a high roll on your resist and some avg damage or vit for pretty cheap too.
    Ring 2: Lots of options. For a cheap start, search for rares with Avg dmg, dex, vit, your resist, ias, and crit. You’ll be able to find a decent one for a couple mill. Good start
    Weapon: 1300-ish dps skorn with lifesteal and as high as possible crit damage. You’re looking in the 12-30 mil range on AH

Intermediate (aka I love this build and I’m ready for upgrades!)

Helm: Upgrade your inna’s to as high as possible dex, vit, 6 crit, and resists.
    Neck: Same as newbie, but better. Add some crit damage if you can, or higher ias/crit/dex rolls.
    Shoulders: Better vile ward or crafted.
    Chest: Tal’s with 9 ias, 140+ dex, 220+ vit. Or cut the vit under 100 and a high resist roll.
    Belt: Better witching hour – 9 ias, 40+ crit damage, dex, etc
    Pants: better inna’s.
    Boots: better Nat’s.
    Ring 1: Better Nat’s. Will start getting expensive, but start looking for ones with crit chance.
    Ring 2: Better rare or ias unity/litany/wailing.
    Weapon: 1375-ish dps skorn with lifesteal and 175+ crit damage. You’re looking at 200 mil +, maybe snipe a cheaper one with a bid.

Flattymode:

It’s funny because I don’t even have some of the gear I’ll list below.
    Helm: Mempo with crit
    Neck: Trifecta craft
    Shoulders: Craft with 250+ dex, vit, dual resist… oh and +life% and a unicorn.
    Chest: Inna’s chest with massive vit roll (EHP) or Tal's with 9% ias and high dex/vit (dps)
    Belt: Godly witching hours, near perfect rolls on the ias/cd, high dex/vit (mine has +armor, good slot for that)
    Pants: high stats inna’s
    Boots: Nat’s with over 250dex/vit
    Ring 1: Nat’s with any number of godly stats
    Ring 2: IAS unity/litany/wailing, or a beastly rare
    Weapon: 1450+ dps skorn with lifesteal and 180+ crit damage. Mucho expensive unless you sniped one right when blizzard missed a decimal place and broke the economy

As I've said numerous times, increased attack speed is a pretty important stat for both your own sanity and for the effectiveness of this build to be realized. Playing around a bit, I've found that aiming for 1.5 aps (which will be buffed to over 1.7 with WOHF:BF) is ideal. The more the better. At a minimum, I wouldn't take this build out for a ride below 1.3 APS.

Maths:

My paper dps right now is 270-280k. Fully buffed with my combo rolling, I get up to 500k. (with maxdps.com build)
I’m sure you’re wondering how this compares to a DW build. With my current build, I kill mp10 ghom in around 45 seconds, give or take a few seconds. Ghom runs are a poor display of “real game effectiveness”, but it’s a good benchmark to look at.

And an important added tip from Druin

Note that WotHF:BF is a 15% APS buff * your IAS.
Example:
If you have 0% IAS and a Skorn, BF will be 5% per stack.
If you have 50% IAS and a Skorn, BF will be 5%*1.5 = 7.5% per stack and you will get 22.5% total IAS from it.

Changeable pieces:

The build itself has some room for changes – BoH isn't absolutely necessary in the maxdps build. If you are absolutely in love with DS for mobility or feel your gear won't let you give up serenity, that's perfectly fine. You can easily swap either of those in for the BoH and still do plenty of DPS.

Like I said before, you can certainly do this with only 2 spirit generators if you want a more custom build. Since this is the 2H guide, I'd recommend FoT:TC and WOHF:BF as your two generators -- the increased attack speed is too nice to pass up. If you replace the DR:F from my above mentioned build and replace it with Breath of Heaven with the 15% dps rune, you're effectively only losing 11% dps, but gaining a heal utility and simplifying the rotation -- although there isn't much point in dropping a generator with a 2H build -- your only real dps boost option is blind:FiTL and going for a beacon-type cooldown reduction build, and that isn't as good for 2H builds as for DW.

Closing Comments:

So, this build came about because I wasn’t satisfied with the restrictiveness I felt the cookie cutter builds placed on gearing. I didn’t want to shell out billions for 2 high dps lifesteal weapons where one of them basically had to be a WKL and the other an EF, legendaries with whopping pricetags. I had mid-level gear and was stuck on mp6-7 with not enough dps to maintain a 1 lifesteal weapon setup to push beyond that. I picked up a relatively crappy skorn and swapped it in for my DW weaps and with almost no changes I was suddenly farming mp8-9 with relative ease. My love affair with skorn only continued from there and I started playing around with builds and asking on the monk forums for advice. What I have written above is my lengthy conclusion on the best use of skorn outside of boring TR builds and my gift to everyone else who is looking for something a little different.
Edited by Flattylol#1782 on 10/1/2013 5:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Solid.

Definitely not my playstyle but I have heard of this type of spec being used pretty effectively in the past and I would agree it is a relatively easy way to play passed your gear-level.

It should be noted because someone will invariably say it:
Yes, this is the standard tri-gen cookie-cutter build. No, that doesn't really decrease the usefulness of this guide.
This specific variation of the cookie-cutter build when combine with a 2h happens to be really effective and I think Flatty does a pretty good job of giving out useful supplementary information.

Suggestions:
1. You can use a space " " after the [/ul] tag instead of a "." and it will make your guide look cleaner.

2. It might be useful to note that WotHF:BF is a 15% APS buff * your IAS.
Example:
If you have 0% IAS and a Skorn, BF will be 5% per stack.
If you have 50% IAS and a Skorn, BF will be 5%*1.5 = 7.5% per stack and you will get 22.5% total IAS from it.

This coincides well with your "stack IAS" motto! :D

Anyways, +1 bud.

-Druin, the happy monk
Reply Quote
Thanks for the tips, Druin. I added your IAS example into the "maths" section with proper credit -- thanks! I'll also drop in a few edits to make it look prettier.

Yeah, it's a pretty standard tri-gen combo strike spec, but I think I put forth a pretty good argument why skorn makes a great weapon for this build, maybe even more so than DW. And hopefully the gearing progression and gear explanation will help people get started and give them some direction to go from there. I see a lot of new people asking monk questions that are sitting on a skorn in their profiles with pretty messed up specs and gearing.

I've got a decent chunk of change lying around and a skorn or two that I upgraded from, so I'm actually tempted to put together a "newbie giveaway" in honor of this guide. I'll make another post when I get some stuff together.
Reply Quote
6/7/13 updated "changeables" section with different generator combos
Reply Quote
Any recommended gloves/amulets?

I think crafted amulets are cheapest option, maybe you can put that in.

Are tasker and theo gloves with Crit chance worth considering? As opposed to normal cd/cc gloves for TR build
Reply Quote
Add high vit/single resist for cheap Tal's chest options. Those are pretty much the best bang for the buck in my opinion. They need to be 9AS to have enough DPS though. Still they can be had for very cheap.
Reply Quote
Thank's for the guide, I to love my Skorn :D I currently have been using a bell build, which has been working pretty well for me for farming mp7~ but with my current gear mp8-10 are still fairly deadly for me. I am always open to try new build with my Skorn, it also helps keep farming fresh. I am currently trying to find a Skorn build that will allow me to be able to farm mp10. I have a 200-500m budget for upgrade's and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to what items I should upgrade and what build would be best to start farming mp 10 if it is even possible with a 200-500m budget and my current items.
Reply Quote
No one suggested andy?
If you are stacking poison that would be great
Reply Quote
Honestly, you're pretty close to making it into mp8+ with just a few upgrades.
    1) Look for a pair of gloves with closer to 10 crit and 9 ias. High dex or crit damage are just gravy there
    2) Swap out your inna's belt for a witching hour with dex/vit/fire resist/decent ias/cd
    3) Replace stone of jordan with a good rare as I mentioned in the guide (or one of those ias litany/unity/etc -- but these will be expensive)
    4) Replace the inna's helm (for now) with an inna's with a higher vit roll or dual resist for some good ehp in there. Don't need the spirit regen anymore

With those changes, I think you'll EASILY be in mp8 and once you're comfortable with the build, move onto 9/10

06/07/2013 10:52 PMPosted by GodsDragon
Thank's for the guide, I to love my Skorn :D I currently have been using a bell build, which has been working pretty well for me for farming mp7~ but with my current gear mp8-10 are still fairly deadly for me. I am always open to try new build with my Skorn, it also helps keep farming fresh. I am currently trying to find a Skorn build that will allow me to be able to farm mp10. I have a 200-500m budget for upgrade's and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to what items I should upgrade and what build would be best to start farming mp 10 if it is even possible with a 200-500m budget and my current items.

and thanks for the guide advice guys, updates coming.
Reply Quote

Yeah, it's a pretty standard tri-gen combo strike spec, but I think I put forth a pretty good argument why skorn makes a great weapon for this build, maybe even more so than DW.

Do you mean simply because it is cheap?

Agree with it being the cheap option, though if you have weapons comparable in damage and lifestyle (i.e. money is not the limiting factor), seems this build would only be stronger with DW.

I find I die less though with DS/Bells build.
Reply Quote
I have to say thank you for showing me this build. I've been looking for a another 2 hander build that wasn't WOL and team disruptive. I am able to easily do mp8 and stand in front of blues with fire/poison pools and life steal through it with ease. PS This is my first post on forums since i played on day 1 :)
Reply Quote
UPDATE: giveaway to celebrate this guide, see details in:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9245175475#1
Reply Quote
I have a question with the spirit gen combo. So you FoT:Tc first to get close and you do WOHF:BF to get the multihit 2nd attack and then do DR:F the 3rd attack for the 18% dps bonus.

So with the 2nd spirit gen you stop at the 2nd attack and immediately press the key for the 3rd gen to get it's 3rd attack? Did I understand that right? Ive been wanting to try out other builds.
Reply Quote
Yeah, all monk spirit gen attacks go off of the 1-2-3 strikes. Switching combos before hitting a 3rd strike doesn't reset the rotation, you just do whatever gen you hit in that position. So strike 1 FoT to teleport, strike 2 WOHF to do the multihits to hopefully get 3 crits and your ias stacked, then strike 3 DR for the 18% damage bonus.

I have a question with the spirit gen combo. So you FoT:Tc first to get close and you do WOHF:BF to get the multihit 2nd attack and then do DR:F the 3rd attack for the 18% dps bonus.

So with the 2nd spirit gen you stop at the 2nd attack and immediately press the key for the 3rd gen to get it's 3rd attack? Did I understand that right? Ive been wanting to try out other builds.
Reply Quote
It's kinda hard to see that if you have a cm wiz doing everything and filling your screen with tornados. But I will try this out thank you. :)
Reply Quote
Thumbs up good build. I use one that is similar but instead of a 3rd generator I use BoH: Blazing Wrath in conjunction with Tot:Tc and Wothf:BF.

I alternate Boh with Blinding flash: FiTL for the 3 sec damage, but i often find i like the sustained damage of of Boh better

I could try three but I feel like I'm just pressing a lot of buttons, anyway good build different strokes for different folks
Reply Quote
Kinda getting bored of my current bells build, it's basically the only one I've used on my monk and I'm paragon ~70 already. definitely going to try this build when the servers come up.
Reply Quote
I did the same for a while. Just a matter of personal preference. I'm starting to try out farming on just mp8 and dropping serenity all together for BoH:BW with the 3 generators. It's nice roaming around with 450k paper dps haha

Thumbs up good build. I use one that is similar but instead of a 3rd generator I use BoH: Blazing Wrath in conjunction with Tot:Tc and Wothf:BF.

I alternate Boh with Blinding flash: FiTL for the 3 sec damage, but i often find i like the sustained damage of of Boh better

I could try three but I feel like I'm just pressing a lot of buttons, anyway good build different strokes for different folks
Reply Quote
Might be obvious to others, but what would gloves look like in your gear?
None of the setups (newb,mid,end) have gloves, and I assume you'd make use of this slot. =P

Would you take IAS over CHD? Def stats over 3rd offensive stats etc.

Thank you in advance.
Reply Quote
Hi Flattylol, have you ever swapped out one of the defensive passives for Guardian's Path? I have 2 spenders in Overawe and Cyclone Strike, and as my IAS is lower than yours, I have some difficulty consistently spamming both (it's alright to use CS strategically). Or perhaps one of the crit-spirit generators might help?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]