Diablo® III

Skorn or 1 hander and uhkapian serpent?

06/10/2013 11:20 AMPosted by Aimless
Skorn is better in every way. 1hder is for preeners.

With your gear and ehp you would farm way faster with a 1h setup. Skorn is the best option on a budget, but you seem to have decent coin on you. Add me in-game and I'll take you through a few builds I've been testing.
Reply Quote
already tried it man I had #6 spear in server and a great totd. When things got insane like 2-3 packs in act 4 i'd die sometimes. I dont like to die. Not to mention I had to use mana buffers instead of SV which enables more tank.

I'm actually looking for even more EHPs Hope to craft decent shoulder and bracer and paragon makes me invincible.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 6/10/2013 10:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
already tried it man I had #6 spear in server and a great totd. When things got insane like 2-3 packs in act 4 i'd die sometimes. I dont like to die. Not to mention I had to use mana buffers instead of SV which enables more tank.

I'm actually looking for even more EHPs Hope to craft decent shoulder and bracer and paragon makes me invincible.

when things get insane... skorn doesnt help you either.

you probably werent running horrify on your bar when you were running 1h.

Im also curious as to what the stats of your number 6 spear on server was?

I remember you wearing a 1040dps/120 int/2.9ls/57crit/socket spear or something not much better/worse which isnt top 6.....
Reply Quote
06/10/2013 10:09 PMPosted by Aimless

A 1h spear setup is better for mana management than a Skorn. A ToTD has +max mana and mana regen...Skorn gives nothing. The max mana is the most important, because this attribute increases the effectiveness of GI/GF/SW. At your gear level, you shouldn't die any more with a 1h than with a Skorn. The only downside to a 1h setup is that it requires FA.

Imo at the top level of gearing the best way to tank is to get SW going as often as possible. This means using GI/SV and doing insane dps. This is best done with a 1h setup. It's also easier to stack ehp on a 1h setup, though I find it superfluous if dps is high enough. You'll only ever notice the lower life steal against reflect packs, and only when frightening aspect is not up.
Reply Quote
06/10/2013 08:36 PMPosted by Aimless
Why cos they have to kite skorn users dont.

No kiting here!!!!

Aim check out the new pox on WD.
Reply Quote
If you have gold the answer is simple - 1h+mojo. It's more dps and more tank, whatever anybody says. I do mp10 easy and can carry people on it with 1h. I die if I'm careless sometimes, but if I play well it never happens. I met a group of p100 WD's all 250-280k dps, all using skorns and they where farming fields of misery and caves etc stacking 4 BBV's and demolishing things. The guy told me a lot of things he read on forums, that 1h users run around collecting mana and kiting, that it is a different and not very effective playstyle. I was very surprised how some guides and tutorial videos suggest high attack speed is not viable, bears are not viable, cob are not viable with 1h - all things I use with no problem. I have 1.64 AS with ceremonial knife, bears and cob. We went to those fields and I could do the same pool demolishing thing even streaming bears indefinetely, not talking about cob, although I think this is easiest way to farm that requires no skill at all. Those guys died like 10 times while I had no problem surviving some of them decided to switch to 1h. With one hander you can go with Tal Rasha set (while maintaing full Zuni set) wich will give you some serious dps boost including +%3 fire damage to cob, + to elites on mojo, more int (essintial for buffs), more vit etc. With one hander I find it actually easier to use bears cause it has mana reduction for them and mana regen at the same time. I think if you play long enough with skorn you will hit the floor at some moment that the only upgrade you can make is to go 1h+mojo. I'm not against the skorn and don't think it's bad, but I have my points for 1h. If you choose right mp level for your dps reflects are no problem as well - a little bit tricky but easy as you get used to it.
Edited by KyKaH#2425 on 6/11/2013 9:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 09:16 AMPosted by KyKaH
whatever anybody says. I do mp10 easy and can carry people on it with 1h. I die if I'm careless

Why don't you post with your main profile, and post some videos for evidence? Just saying.

I have 1.64 as with ceremonial knife, bears and cob. We went to those fields and I could do the same pool demolishing thing even streaming bears indefinetely

Do you know the casting cost of bears? At 1.64 APS streaming bears indefinitely? Video proof of 5 minutes of non-stop bears in town please.

Those guys died like 10 times while I had no problem surviving some of them decided to switch to 1h.

Who are they? A bunch of noobs still shooting off poison darts and stacking IAS for website rankings? Name their profiles out here in the open, or stop writing your fantasies.

I'm not against the skorn and don't think it's bad, but I have my points for 1h

I can respect your preference for 1H, and I'm not saying 2H is better in any way. I just want you to have some basis for your claims. Gearing either path for the thread topic is not cheap at MP10, and can easily cause a lot of agony if the player followed advise without justification.
Reply Quote
Skorn
MCK + Gory Fetch
Rare weapon + Serpent

Rare weapon +SoS

Godly Rare weapon + Godly ToD
Reply Quote
>Why don't you post with your main profile, and post some videos for evidence? Just saying.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/KyKaH-2425/hero/5884584

>Do you know the casting cost of bears? At 1.64 APS streaming bears indefinitely? Video proof of 5 minutes of non-stop bears in town please.

I don't spam bears in town. You see how it goes - those guys go to fields of misery, assemble large pools of mobs and pushing COB button, spamming SW to kill them. I told them I can do the same with bears, it's no trick. As soon as you have mobs dying around you you have mana and can spam bears as good as you do with pushing COB button. If u farm usual way the same applies. U can kill elites and get mana from globes they produce and mobs dying around you, and making your way to new elite with bears as well with no prob. Of course I don't use bears as main attack against elite anymore cause COB is more effective, but for some packs it's very useful. If you spam bears in town mana goes away fast true, but COB can be sustained for long period of time. Sometimes I got out of mana if packs are fast moving, but widomakers make it up in a couple of sec

>Who are they? A bunch of noobs still shooting off poison darts and stacking IAS for website rankings? Name their profiles out here in the open, or stop writing your fantasies.

Are you offended by my post? No reason to call me lier. The two guys I remember are

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SasaBoss-2477/hero/23959088
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/oron-2574/hero/11258961

others I have no memory of

> I can respect your preference for 1H, and I'm not saying 2H is better in any way. I just want you to have some basis for your claims. Gearing either path for the thread topic is not cheap at MP10, and can easily cause a lot of agony if the player followed advise without justification.

I did not say it's cheap - it's not.

If you have EU profile you can join with me and record any video you want if you feel it's neccessary - I don't feel that way.
Cheers

P.S. I made video for you, it's meant only to show that I don't have mana problems with attack speed and elites, forgive my sloppy gameplay it lags like hell with video capture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvVjJU3ulwo
Edited by KyKaH#2425 on 6/11/2013 2:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The one thing I'm noticing on this post almost everyone
that is pro skorn has under 900ar and 4000armor and as
far as 2h killing faster with less damage I haven't found that
to be true in my testing my 1h kills quit a bit faster than my
2h set up and it should it has 12k more damage and also +5%
against elites I never go by what anyone else says you get to
many mixed opinions do your own testing and get your own
results.

Such a mean thing to say man. :(
We differ in EHP and mitigation and I use a skorn.
We both use Jungle Fortitude and I have higher EHP but you beat my mitigation by 1%. (All that strength and armor man! Kinda jelly.)
Pretty much even in the EHP department.

As for DPS, we have the same paper DPS and you are using a 1-h/mojo setup.
Our damage ranges differ drastically though.

Yours
MH: Grim Chisel
Average Hit 149,295.02
Damage Range 30,717.71 - 61,536.52
Crit Hit Range 160,346.44 - 321,220.64

Mines
MH: Skorn
Average Hit 209,424.89
Damage Range 58,100.14 - 75,938.22
Crit Hit Range 329,427.78 - 430,569.73

On a skorn, we do kill faster because when we attack, our attacks hit like trucks.
Not only that, skorn users do not have to resort to mana regen in our skills but focus on skills that raise our DPS.

I used to use a 1-h/mojo and I swore I would never use a skorn. Gave it a try one day after a run of only facing reflect damage elites...now I absolutely love it. I don't want to go back.
Reply Quote
thats BS i run over 1K AR and skorn and -7 elites.
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/aimless-1700/Dubstepia/33492800
Still looking for more ehps tho 1m is goal. I died last week.

Any of you 1hders want to go in act 4 with me and put money where mouth is bet is simple

We carry one another through full act killing all elite and diablo - 100m per death loser pay.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 6/11/2013 8:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
As for DPS, we have the same paper DPS and you are using a 1-h/mojo setup.
Our damage ranges differ drastically though.

Yours
MH: Grim Chisel
Average Hit 149,295.02
Damage Range 30,717.71 - 61,536.52
Crit Hit Range 160,346.44 - 321,220.64

Mines
MH: Skorn
Average Hit 209,424.89
Damage Range 58,100.14 - 75,938.22
Crit Hit Range 329,427.78 - 430,569.73

On a skorn, we do kill faster because when we attack, our attacks hit like trucks.
Not only that, skorn users do not have to resort to mana regen in our skills but focus on skills that raise our DPS.

That doesn't make any sense. If you have the same dps, then it doesn't matter whether you hit half the time for twice the damage or vice versa. That is, unless you're speedfarming mp0. The only considerations are mana usage and life steal (which is smoother on a 1h). And a 1h setup using a ToTD is better for mana than a Skorn setup.

The key difference between a 1h and Skorn is the damage and life steal. Skorn has lower damage but higher life steal. That's it. Lower damage, higher tanking ability.

Some people find they do more damage when they tank better (Skorn). Some prefer going all-dps and hoping their ehp is sufficient (1h).
Reply Quote
Not true i had spear and deep had to still use a mana buff like on singles like belial. Have to use no mana buff with skorn.... can u guys even do belial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4aqRYpj-mA
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 6/11/2013 8:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@joeycrack I have a skorn I was just doing some testing with
it today against Ghom comparing kill times using pb and cob
with both 1h setup and skorn now my 1h set up has exactly 10k
more damage also +5 against elites I used garg instead of hex
kill times were cob 1h setup 42sec. cob skorn 54 sec.
pb 1h setup 72sec. pb skorn 84sec. this was the average
of 3 runs each they never varied more than a sec per run
once I raised my armor above 4500 I don't have a problem
with reflect but below 4500 I couldn't use BBV against it all I'm
saying is if your res and armor are high enough you don't need
the extra LS you can start chasing damage instead. and just
the skorn hits harder doesn't mean it kills faster its cob hits twice
per sec with an attack speed of around1 so at an attack speed of 1.5
your hitting 3 times so your putting out more damage per sec. and
that's what killing is all about .
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 08:40 PMPosted by Aimless
Not true i had spear and deep had to still use a mana buff like on singles like belial. Have to use no mana buff with skorn

Sorry I should have clarified, your post is completely true.

For ubers or end game bosses a 1h setup will use mana faster than a Skorn.

In gameplay this is true as well, however a 1h setup has the potential for a lot more regen. At lower levels of dps this comes in the forum of straight mana regeneration, but at higher dps the extra mana regen comes from the increased mana pool and skill synergies. Every end-game build should include GI/GF, and Skorn gets no synergies from these skills.

A ToTD takes my mana from 800 to 900. This one item gives me an extra 2 mana from every monster killed and an extra 10 mana from globes, and I get an extra 14 regen/sec as well. In a situation where there are no monsters and no globes, a Skorn has better mana levels. But in any other situation a 1h setup is better for mana. A 1h using a serpent is the worst combo for mana in all situations.
Reply Quote
That's exactly right I have to have that extra 14 mana
regen on my mojo to sustain my 1h setup where as the
skorn 4 piece zunni is enough.
Reply Quote

I remember you wearing a 1040dps/120 int/2.9ls/57crit/socket spear or something not much better/worse which isnt top 6.....

Skorns almost double amount of LS certainly does help.

Why switch to a spec only to have to use a defensive ability?
Reply Quote

Skorns almost double amount of LS certainly does help.

Why switch to a spec only to have to use a defensive ability?

When things get insane for example:

plague+desecrate+frozen and you get frozen with plague+desecrate without SW.
knockback/vortex into frozen/on top of arcane. 1.5m ehp wont help you either...

This is the truth and im extremely unbiased. Or at least I hope I am.

Running horrify has secondary potential benefits to defense due to its ability to fear away opponents when you are going to die regardless of whether you have skorn or 1h.

Having your armor doubled when you have 4500-5000 armor gives you more survivability despite having 3 less LS than skorn. When you are frozen/knock-backed into arcane (insert any undodgeable scenario where you have to take dmg) and your ehp almost doubles from 700k to 1.3m due to having 100% more armor can potentally save you. In my earlier post did I not say that that 1h+mojo can potentially have 300more vit/12% life= 60k life to 80k life if you decide to go more ehp heavy on the weapon/OH and then the 100% more armor from horrify-FA and you will have a much higher potential of surviving these sorts of situations.

Also, running BBV(40% dmg) or paranoia(20%) is only up for 1/3 of elites BBV or 1/2 of elite fights mass confuse. So its not exactly on all the time. IMO these benefits not being up all the time may not be as effective to my near 80% uptime of 100% armor with horrify during elite fights.

I hope you understand what I mean about not being able to survive despite 1h/skorn.

also, when you hit a certain dps/mit level with 1h. 3% ls will also be able to tank plague/arcane/ just as well. The ONLY problem and I repeat again ONLY problem with 3% ls is RD. And that is where the skorn truly shines.

my 2 cents.
Reply Quote
4000 extra armor is nothing compare to double LS

you take about 2K less damage if something hit you for 100K

10k vs 8k at 90 and 92% mit respectivly

Scorn heals 25K while 1dhr heals for 12.5K.

why you think barbs are invulnerable running around almost naked? LS passives LS up to 3 slots.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 6/11/2013 11:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
First off most good barbs run with 6k+
armor not to mention they get a 30%
reduction like monks and all the ls in
the world won't save you if your not
attacking because your stunned or
frozen or vortexed back onto the eye
of an arcane beam anything that can
1 shot you will still 1 shot you no matter
how much ls you have.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]