Diablo® III

LPSS and Life Regen substitute for Lifesteal?

I am currently planning a gear set that does not involve life steal because

1) I'd rather get a socket in my 1 random roll on my desired weapon of choice
2) Lifesteal on a good weapon costs billions of gold

Would 120 LPSS and approximately 1000 life regen per second (as well as 200 LOH) be a suitable substitute for 3% lifesteal?

Trying to gear for MP10 without lifesteal.
Reply Quote
I have close to 1K life regen; however, there really is not much sustain to it.... unfortunately it still re-gens a little slow. I dont know how LpSS would work ontop of that though, Ive never been interested in that stat.

2K life regen seems like it could be usefull, but 1K is still a little slow
Reply Quote
there's life regen per second, lifesteal, life on hit, life per kill... .what is lpss?
n/m figured it out... life per spirit spent.
Edited by jxfuller#1507 on 6/10/2013 9:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Don't forget Life After Each Kill. With monster density increased the way that it has, I wonder whether it can also be helpful too.
Reply Quote
MP10 Monk can NOT have 0% LS, period.

No other sustaining method will perform any close to LS for monks.
Reply Quote
06/10/2013 09:23 AMPosted by kanersen
Would 120 LPSS and approximately 1000 life regen per second (as well as 200 LOH) be a suitable substitute for 3% lifesteal?

I wouldn't think it would be enough. Maybe if your build was super-defensive, you might be able to pull it off. Going by your profile, I'm assuming your trying to do some sort of LTK build. Those are doable (and can stun-lock), if that's what you're going for), But if you're going SOJ/Skull grasp, I think you'll just be too glassy with a Flying Dragon.

Mostly, I think LTK builds are better done with shields. LTK Shields are a pain to search for, but they let you get the extra defense, and allow for LS in the main hand. I snatched up a real nice -3 to LTK shield for my Monk recently and have been debating trying to get an interesting set of LTK gear if I ever score some serious cash.

Anyway, to give a comparison point... I was able to play on MP-10 with only 100K DPS with about 5% LS, 500 LoH, 62 LpSS, and 500 Life Regen. I used a high-mitigation build (almost 20:1 mitigation, I think). If I wanted to replace that LS, I figure I'd need another 4000 Life Regen and 60 LpSS. I'm going to guess your build won't get you anywhere near the mitigation levels I was at, but I tanked a lot of things and maybe you'll be able to do better with stuns/kiting, etc.

If you're attacking faster, using Spirit on crit attacks like quickening to generate spirit for more LpSS, and get a ton of mitigation, and use a defensive build, maybe you'll be able to get away with less. Give your build a shot on lower MPs first, even if it's with less than wonderful gear, to see what your limits are likely to be. Whatever you're doing, there's probably an MP where it works and it's fun.
Reply Quote
Before I picked up LifeSteal I had: 80% IAS, 2400 LoH, 55.6 LpSS, 2200 LpS, all with 200k+ dps

Even with this sustain, I could not effectively do MP10 (i.e engage any pack, regardless of combination) without having difficulties. Trash was no problem, and some packs we're doable, but some we're not. You might be able to make it work, if you're willing to kite around and take several minutes and a few deaths to kill some packs.

With this sustain, I was able to do MP9 with almost no problem, but making the jump to MP10 was noticeably more difficult, and it was just easier all around to grab some LifeSteal.
Reply Quote
Just get lifesteal, you'll be better off with just getting a little lower dps weapon with the LS and focusing on other gear to up your dps for a lower budget. Like others have said, there really is no substitute for at least one weapon with 2.7+LS and probably unless you have very high mitigation you will need to have some additional sustain like your Lpss or LoH to go along with your single lifesteal weapon.
Reply Quote
You can make LpSS work pretty well but you usually need to stack it for around 170-200 LpSS. So helm, one weapon, and Transcendence is one way to do it. Rolls would ideally be above 55 LpSS per gear spot. I could do MP10 when I was primarily LpSS and LpS but I had pretty solid mitigation. I've since moved over to LS and I think it's clearly the way to go in the long run imho. As info. pre 1.0.8 I got my LS MH for 20M. Unfortunately prices have gone up but I'd still guess you could get something similar for < 100M if you shop carefully.

If you search for older threads on LpSS discussions "FuzzyWuzzy" has a pretty good guide. In my experience LpSS starts to lose to LS around 100-120k dps. At least for me that's about when I found LS to be the way to go. Using other sustains and a combo of higher mitigation, etc may make your mileage vary.

EDIT: Here's FuzzyWuzzy's guide: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7764877056
Edited by BigE#1536 on 6/10/2013 12:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
thanks for all the input everyone!
Reply Quote
06/10/2013 11:32 AMPosted by Demiwraith

I wouldn't think it would be enough. Maybe if your build was super-defensive, you might be able to pull it off. Going by your profile, I'm assuming your trying to do some sort of LTK build. Those are doable (and can stun-lock), if that's what you're going for), But if you're going SOJ/Skull grasp, I think you'll just be too glassy with a Flying Dragon.

Mostly, I think LTK builds are better done with shields. LTK Shields are a pain to search for, but they let you get the extra defense, and allow for LS in the main hand. I snatched up a real nice -3 to LTK shield for my Monk recently and have been debating trying to get an interesting set of LTK gear if I ever score some serious cash.

Anyway, to give a comparison point... I was able to play on MP-10 with only 100K DPS with about 5% LS, 500 LoH, 62 LpSS, and 500 Life Regen. I used a high-mitigation build (almost 20:1 mitigation, I think). If I wanted to replace that LS, I figure I'd need another 4000 Life Regen and 60 LpSS. I'm going to guess your build won't get you anywhere near the mitigation levels I was at, but I tanked a lot of things and maybe you'll be able to do better with stuns/kiting, etc.

If you're attacking faster, using Spirit on crit attacks like quickening to generate spirit for more LpSS, and get a ton of mitigation, and use a defensive build, maybe you'll be able to get away with less. Give your build a shot on lower MPs first, even if it's with less than wonderful gear, to see what your limits are likely to be. Whatever you're doing, there's probably an MP where it works and it's fun.

Yes I am gearing for a LTK build, but I won't be using Flying Dragon. Basically I put my monk on hiatus for a couple of months while I regear. I do actually plan on wearing a shield with -LTK! and using a WKL in my mainhand.

The problem is I'd rather get a WKL with 70+ crit dmg and a socket then one with Lifesteal and a socket. I've saved up 2 billion to try and get the best crit damage wkl I can - I really really really don't want to spend it on a lifesteal WKL - which actually costs more.

I plan on using a LTK WKL build with LTK - Hand of Ytar as my primary spirit spender - as it does lightning damage regardless of it not being stated as such in the tooltip.

Requiring 2.5-3% lifesteal is definately going to put a damper on my plans though as I'd much rather get 70%+ crit on my WKL.
Reply Quote
You can make LpSS work pretty well but you usually need to stack it for around 170-200 LpSS. So helm, one weapon, and Transcendence is one way to do it. Rolls would ideally be above 55 LpSS per gear spot. I could do MP10 when I was primarily LpSS and LpS but I had pretty solid mitigation. I've since moved over to LS and I think it's clearly the way to go in the long run imho. As info. pre 1.0.8 I got my LS MH for 20M. Unfortunately prices have gone up but I'd still guess you could get something similar for < 100M if you shop carefully.

If you search for older threads on LpSS discussions "FuzzyWuzzy" has a pretty good guide. In my experience LpSS starts to lose to LS around 100-120k dps. At least for me that's about when I found LS to be the way to go. Using other sustains and a combo of higher mitigation, etc may make your mileage vary.

I'd love to make LPSS work, unfortunately i'd be capped off at 110 as I wouldn't be able to make it work in a weapon slot and would be relying on helm/passive. I really hope the itemization patch opens up some doors and makes more LPSS in other slots available so lifesteal can be less mandatory for monks
Reply Quote
MP10 Monk can NOT have 0% LS, period.

No other sustaining method will perform any close to LS for monks.

extremely sad to hear....hopefully the itemization patch will make more options available
Reply Quote
Before I picked up LifeSteal I had: 80% IAS, 2400 LoH, 55.6 LpSS, 2200 LpS, all with 200k+ dps

Even with this sustain, I could not effectively do MP10 (i.e engage any pack, regardless of combination) without having difficulties. Trash was no problem, and some packs we're doable, but some we're not. You might be able to make it work, if you're willing to kite around and take several minutes and a few deaths to kill some packs.

With this sustain, I was able to do MP9 with almost no problem, but making the jump to MP10 was noticeably more difficult, and it was just easier all around to grab some LifeSteal.

That's pretty disheartening to hear.

2400 LOH, 2000 regen and 60 LPSS is a hell of a lot of life return - and yet its still not do able without lifesteal - pretty sad that one life return affix just trumps everything else combined
Reply Quote
I am unsure what build sauv was using but that sustain at 80% IAS should produce sustain equivalent to 200k DPS 3% LS weapon.

I have run been running LOH almost exclusively since the start of the game and have used LS weapons. What I miss most from LS that LOH does not provide is the proc of sustain from others sources besides your fist hitting said monsters face. LS procs from SW as well as Backlash. If LOH did this they would be on par.

As long as you have a decent life pool with above average eHP you should be able to run LOH on MP10. The more the merrier obv but you can get away with about 2000 LOH with 70%+ IAS.

My only concern is that you want to S&B with LOH. The loss in attack speed will definitely affect the efficiency of LOH so I'll try and do a test run with a WKL with CD, thanks Anhi, and a hefty eHP shield, thanks Ghost, and ill post some results later this week.

Cheers & GL,
CC-
Reply Quote
Hello,

A few weeks ago I tested LPSS and I could conclud it:

- With 200 of life per spirit spent isn't enough to play MP 8+.
- You need to have life generation in you gear (about 1k+).
- It is important you spend much spirit and to get much spirit to.

So, in my opinion, it is complicated to play with LPSS because you can not change your build as you had LS.

[]'s
Reply Quote
@CC - I was using the 'old reliable' back then. CaptainCarl brings up an interesting point; other builds might be more sustainable now but i'm not really sure since it's been so long since i've ran without LifeSteal.

The other thing to consider is, you can use a lot of slots on your gear to stack various LoH and LpSS and LpS ... which means you are sacrificing stats that will yield more DPS or some other benefit. Or you can use 1 slot on a weapon for LifeSteal, and use the other slots for other more beneficial stats. Efficiency is another factor. Just something to consider.
Edited by sauvwren#1954 on 6/10/2013 6:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I forgot to answer your question OP. Yes you can run MP10 with only LpSS and LpS but you will have a very defensive build, eHP heavy, with as much attack speed as possible to bolster your Spirit production so that you can span the heck out of a skill to make sure your sustain is kicking in. Will that build be fun? If you like kiting and you enjoy surviving outside the box then yes go for it but if you want to feel powerful and know that nothing can stand in your way shoot for LS.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote

That's pretty disheartening to hear.

2400 LOH, 2000 regen and 60 LPSS is a hell of a lot of life return - and yet its still not do able without lifesteal - pretty sad that one life return affix just trumps everything else combined

Well, it's not entirely true. It is possible to do MP10 without life steal, even with little difficulty. Before my life steal weapon, I ran with about 2200 LoH and seldom died MP10 solo. Serenity and Seven Sided Strike provide quite a bit of time as invulnerable. Throw in FoL and Transcendence and you have mini heals going throughout the entire battle.

Granted, Life Steal does help, but switching over one weapon to it was not nearly the super damage mitigation I've read on the forums. I guess a lot of it comes down to the build.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]