Diablo® III

Raise the drop rate of Demonic Essences

-Right now it is a pain to farm demonic essences, their drop rate is just too low for an item that much needed by the players,

-Considering the actual drop rate in mp10 is 38.9% it is just extremely low, considering most players have to craft in amounts of 100 or 200 at the same time, it just gets too annoying.

-There are some upgrades that cannont be achieved without crafting at all, i'd like demonic essences to be guaranteed when killin every single elite monster in mp10. That'd be awesome

Your post is pretty interesting, because most threads I've seen (both here and on other Diablo fan sites) typically say that Essences drop too frequently. I'm glad you created it, since it's generated a lot of great debate on the topic.

Couple of questions for you so I can get a bit of context for where your feedback is coming from (anyone is welcome to chime in):

- On what MP do you typically farm? MP3 VOTA runs (specifically for DE), the difference in drop rate from MP3 to MP10 doesn't justify the extra time it takes to clear VOTA

- Do you usually just farm casually and pick up whatever Essences you acquire along the way, or do ever go out of your way to farm Essences specifically? Specifically

- About how many Essences do you pick up in a session? Average for me is about 25-30 DE per hour. which translates to about .5 DE per VOTA run

- Do you use those Essences immediately, or are you a player that likes to stock up? I'll normally get to 10, continue to fill the room that's left in my bag with the rares I pick up, then craft.

- How many Essences would you like to ideally see in a farming session, and why do you feel that amount be better than what you see currently? I think a fair amount would be 70-100 per hour. That would give us a better chance of rolling something decent once in a while, and we could actually utilize the gold sink.

Thanks!

I know I don't speak for everybody, but this is pretty much the main reason I play anymore. I think that even if someone upgraded all of their craftables to godly items, they would probably still craft to try and squeak out that extra 2% attack speed, or that 1% CC, which is why I feel this is a great gold sink, just not being utilized to it's full potential because of the limited drops.

The people that are saying that the drop rates are fine, and either the people that just don't craft, or the people that don't have the gold to craft (and shouldn't be using a gold sink anyways).
Edited by Saints311#1704 on 6/11/2013 1:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
farm m10 a get +- 20-30 per run.

for me drops are fine
Reply Quote
Your post is pretty interesting, because most threads I've seen (both here and on other Diablo fan sites) typically say that Essences drop too frequently. I'm glad you created it, since it's generated a lot of great debate on the topic.

Couple of questions for you so I can get a bit of context for where your feedback is coming from (anyone is welcome to chime in):

- On what MP do you typically farm?

- Do you usually just farm casually and pick up whatever Essences you acquire along the way, or do ever go out of your way to farm Essences specifically?

- About how many Essences do you pick up in a session?

- Do you use those Essences immediately, or are you a player that likes to stock up?

- How many Essences would you like to ideally see in a farming session, and why do you feel that amount be better than what you see currently?

Thanks!

thank you for chiming in and with some constructive feedback since we need constructive feedback from blues as well.

I'm not OP either but I would love to answer the very last question you put up.

The answer is "as much as possible." That's because they are just nothing but tickets for winning something big. Having a lot is always better but that doesn't change the fact that it's still a lottery base of a crafting system. So the answer, like I said, is as much as possible. It doesn't raise your luck but raise your chance, that is.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/11/2013 01:48 PMPosted by DKSMOOVE
I would like to see demonic essence drop rates a bit raised, but I can see validity of having it fairly low (due to ability to craft BIS).

That's certainly one of the biggest influences on the drop rate. Even so, we're always open to making adjustments if they're what's best for the long term health of the game. And getting a better understanding for how players who would like to see the drop rate raised approach farming and crafting just informs that decision in a much more meaningful way.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/11/2013 01:45 PMPosted by DoomBringer
I think "How much gold do you spend on crafting" is an important question too. If someone has billions floating around, there's no way he will ever find enough DE to craft.

Valid point is valid. I'll amend my previous post.
Reply Quote
Lylirra, if you have spare time... if you would please read this too:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8729063950

thank you!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Check out my post. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9280358077

This explains my stand on it, if you haven't already seen it. I have to farm on MP 5 with over 300k dps unbuffed. Do you know how discouraging it is to know that lower MPs give more benefit? It's so boring.

Lylirra, if you have spare time... if you would please read this too:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8729063950

thank you!

Sure things, guys. I'll take a look. :)
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 01:52 PMPosted by danny
i farm mp 8 and i pick up everything ,but i mainly farm for de but, i agree that the de drop rate is very low... i get about 1 or 2 de a run... i think you guys should increase the de drop rate or allow us to buy them from other players or the ah...

Then farm at a lower MP. I farm DE at MP1 and get 15 an hour, and there are people in this thread that double that. Why, in heavens name, would a player need to craft more than 30 pair of gloves an hour?!? That's one pair every other minute.
Reply Quote
]

- On what MP do you typically farm?

- Do you usually just farm casually and pick up whatever Essences you acquire along the way, or do ever go out of your way to farm Essences specifically?

- About how many Essences do you pick up in a session?

- Do you use those Essences immediately, or are you a player that likes to stock up?

- When it comes to crafting, is gold the limiting factor for you or are Essences?

- How many Essences would you like to ideally see in a farming session, and why do you feel that amount would be better than what you see currently?

Thanks!

-mp 3-5
-casually
-10-20
-not usually
-gold
- I think its fine where it is
Reply Quote
I have carefully monitored how the ratio of ingredients needed to craft 1 item and my conclusion is this.

by the time it takes to get the required gold and alternative mats (in cause of gloves 20 tears and tomes of secret) I find on average 2 DE. So basically the drop rate in my eyes is about perfect...

Like previous people have said when you can buy ALL the mats EXCEPT the BOA DE it makes people think the drop rate needs to be raised. if they werent BOA people would buy them and be happy.

EDIT: I have a surplus of DE and lack the alternative mats because I don't buy anything so...
Edited by Fusion#1917 on 6/11/2013 2:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
The rate seems *OK for me @ MP 9-10

I would like to see the drops rate increase nominally, just a touch.

I think it balances out decently, but those whom don't have billions would likely enjoy some extra essences to use for crafting since they cannot afford high-end gears via the GAH.

If I play for an hour I may get between 10-16. I would like to see that number increase to 20+.
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 6/11/2013 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Lyl I have only ever come across threads suggesting that they do not drop enough.

Frankly the amount of time it would take to farm that many demonic essences is ludicrous! I maybe maybe 70 a hour farming at max potential(In hardcore) with my Witch Doc on MP3. Most people make about 24-40. Even at 70 per hour thats over 50 hours of farming... For one upgrade. Also the gold costs on the 'vanilla' patterns, aka the patterns that came with the release of Diablo... There is no point to EVER make one... Even the weapons... Too expensive for item that pretty much guarantee's it will suck...
Reply Quote
And Yeah... I agree with Fusion... Remove the BOA from them... That would fix all problems.

Also I want to go back to my last post.

How it takes many peeps 50+ hours farming for items they can't even sell if they finally complete there set, whether with crafted goods or found. Its just too much. It removes the fun from crafting...
Reply Quote
@Lyl I have only ever come across threads suggesting that they do not drop enough.

Frankly the amount of time it would take to farm that many demonic essences is ludicrous! I maybe maybe 70 a hour farming at max potential(In hardcore) with my Witch Doc on MP3. Most people make about 24-40. Even at 70 per hour thats over 50 hours of farming... For one upgrade. Also the gold costs on the 'vanilla' patterns, aka the patterns that came with the release of Diablo... There is no point to EVER make one... Even the weapons... Too expensive for item that pretty much guarantee's it will suck...

This brings up a good point right now the way I see it is when a DE drops its essentially in my mind oh sweet an ilvl63 craft its slightly better than getting a ilvl63 item to drop and so they should drop slightly less often than ilvl63 drops sense essentially that is what you are about to go craft.

However with the itemization update however the current items change the DE are going to have to change to accomodate too.
Reply Quote
@Lyl

Check out my post. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9280358077

This explains my stand on it, if you haven't already seen it. I have to farm on MP 5 with over 300k dps unbuffed. Do you know how discouraging it is to know that lower MPs give more benefit? It's so boring.

The problem isn't that lower mp levels give a better benefit, we already know that's not true because DE drop rates are higher in higher mp levels, the problem is that you don't have the dps to efficiently farm mp10.
Reply Quote
This brings up a good point right now the way I see it is when a DE drops its essentially in my mind oh sweet an ilvl63 craft its slightly better than getting a ilvl63 item to drop and so they should drop slightly less often than ilvl63 drops sense essentially that is what you are about to go craft.

However with the itemization update however the current items change the DE are going to have to change to accomodate too.

Indeed, honestly I think they should've leave the drop-rate as is, then remove the BOA, and take a small 20% off the cost of ilvl63 craftables. Then take about 50-75% off of the ilvl61-62 crafts... I mean I was thinking about crafting some ilvl 62 weapons... Then I saw that they are just as expensive as the Archon pieces... With less guarentee(No guarenteed stats)

And yeah with the item patch coming up obviously some compensation should be made, but thats all up to the D3 crew as we don't know anything set about it other then item improvements.
Edited by Veracruz#1867 on 6/11/2013 2:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
IMO mp10 rates should be higher for the fact that DE's tend to queue last on the loot pile. When you are slaying huge mobs with a pack in the center of it you have to sort through a million blues to get to the 1 DE you need. That seems to be the biggest complaint from the group I play with. Lower mp's aren't as bad because less trash drops and you don't miss the essences that are hidden.
Reply Quote
For the newer players who can only play in low MP the drop rate is fine as they won't have enough gold to effectively use all the DE. For those with superman gear that can kill MP10 eites in 2 seconds, they obviously don't really need to worry about farming for essence as their gear is already at the top, and even if they do, since they can kill elites very quickly at MP10 this makes the current drop rate of DE for them also decent.

The current problem is for those more mortal players who are currently farming high MP (7-10). They can farm there without dying but the time for them to kill an elite is probably around a few minutes while compared to MP1 where they can kill elites in a matter of seconds. It is clear that for them farming for DE in low MP is much much more efficient than playing in high MP but the thing is where is the fun and challenge? Running around VAULT OF ASSASSINS in MP1 with a tempest rush Monk is certainly very efficient for farming DE but this is just plain boring and tedious.

These players generally don't have enough gold to buy the top end gears but have more than enough gold for crafting so the most efficient/easiest way for them to power up would be through crafting, but the drop rate of DE for them is simply too low. What I would suggest is a parabolic type of increase in drop rate of DE with increasing MP, something like the one suggest in http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9280358077 .
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 02:51 PMPosted by tracerbeast
IMO mp10 rates should be higher for the fact that DE's tend to queue last on the loot pile. When you are slaying huge mobs with a pack in the center of it you have to sort through a million blues to get to the 1 DE you need. That seems to be the biggest complaint from the group I play with. Lower mp's aren't as bad because less trash drops and you don't miss the essences that are hidden.

Which brings up another common request from the fans, To be able to filter items, have whites and blues not displayed or make it where we can't accidentally click them and die.
Reply Quote

by the time it takes to get the required gold and alternative mats (in cause of gloves 20 tears and tomes of secret) I find on average 2 DE. So basically the drop rate in my eyes is about perfect...

At that point it's not being utilized as a gold sink, it's pretty much keeping you even (and that doesn't even count the items found and sold on the AH). If that's the purpose fine, but I think we can all agree that crafting should (and always has been) used as a gold sink.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]