Diablo® III

Raise the drop rate of Demonic Essences

And Yeah... I agree with Fusion... Remove the BOA from them... That would fix all problems.

NO.....please no.

Doing this...we're going right back to the AH meta-game. Doing what you suggest puts the RMAH'ers right back in the drivers seat. Yet again, they need not play to get great gears, even the BoA crafts.

Allowing all BoA item mats to be purchasable via the AH is going right back to giving great advantage to people whom just spend real money to get ahead. They wouldn't even need to play the game to be able to sit and craft all day long.
Reply Quote
I think giving the option to sell DE could be the better fix for this issue. I have a feeling most of the players looking for more DE have "unlimited" amounts of gold they are willing to put into crafting. Making it so you can trade DE would make a lot of sense as weird as it sounds some players might not want to craft gear even and thus would have no use for the DE they find.

I personally don't craft 100s of gloves at a time so I have no real problem with the DE drop rate yet but I could potentially see myself wanting more if I find a good item to trade.
Reply Quote
Gold is by far the most limiting factor. Not because I don't have enough, but because I don't want to lose half my gold on hoping for a good craft.
I only have 37m gold, and until I found an item that sold for 50m (42.5m in hand) I only had 4m and hadn't yet bought the HF ring pattern.

Making gold outside of the AH isn't easy. At least it isn't when playing on a very casual basis. I'm sure I COULD AH more gear, but the incredible amount of effort required to work out what price point to set + weighing up IF it will sell at all just isn't worth my time (unless I listed everything with no BO and 1g bid, but then I can only have 10 auctions up).

I'd rather have something difficult to strive for that didn't feel like it was required (hellfire ring) or that was easy to get, but relied on blind luck and therefore the strive part is diminished (crafting).
Even farming for legendaries is still super random. Will there be elites here or not? Will they drop anything potentially good? Will that eventuate into a good item? Repeat.
It all lacks focus.
Reply Quote
-Right now it is a pain to farm demonic essences, their drop rate is just too low for an item that much needed by the players,

-Considering the actual drop rate in mp10 is 38.9% it is just extremely low, considering most players have to craft in amounts of 100 or 200 at the same time, it just gets too annoying.

-There are some upgrades that cannont be achieved without crafting at all, i'd like demonic essences to be guaranteed when killin every single elite monster in mp10. That'd be awesome

Your post is pretty interesting, because most threads I've seen (both here and on other Diablo fan sites) typically say that Essences drop too frequently. I'm glad you created it, since it's generated a lot of great debate on the topic.

Couple of questions for you so I can get a bit of context for where your feedback is coming from (anyone is welcome to chime in):

- On what MP do you typically farm?

- Do you usually just farm casually and pick up whatever Essences you acquire along the way, or do ever go out of your way to farm Essences specifically?

- About how many Essences do you pick up in a session?

- Do you use those Essences immediately, or are you a player that likes to stock up?

- When it comes to crafting, is gold the limiting factor for you or are Essences?

- How many Essences would you like to ideally see in a farming session, and why do you feel that amount would be better than what you see currently?

Thanks!
I browse these forums and /r/diablo all too often and I have never once seen a post saying they drop "too frequently." MP10 should have a minimum drop rate of 50% with the lower MPs having corresponding drop rates.
Edited by OrIGInalPyRO#1724 on 6/11/2013 3:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
For the newer players who can only play in low MP the drop rate is fine as they won't have enough gold to effectively use all the DE. For those with superman gear that can kill MP10 eites in 2 seconds, they obviously don't really need to worry about farming for essence as their gear is already at the top, and even if they do, since they can kill elites very quickly at MP10 this makes the current drop rate of DE for them also decent.

The current problem is for those more mortal players who are currently farming high MP (7-10). They can farm there without dying but the time for them to kill an elite is probably around a few minutes while compared to MP1 where they can kill elites in a matter of seconds. It is clear that for them farming for DE in low MP is much much more efficient than playing in high MP but the thing is where is the fun and challenge? Running around VAULT OF ASSASSINS in MP1 with a tempest rush Monk is certainly very efficient for farming DE but this is just plain boring and tedious.

These players generally don't have enough gold to buy the top end gears but have more than enough gold for crafting so the most efficient/easiest way for them to power up would be through crafting, but the drop rate of DE for them is simply too low. What I would suggest is a parabolic type of increase in drop rate of DE with increasing MP, something like the one suggest in http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9280358077 .

If it's taking you more than 20 seconds to kill an elite pack, then you'd be much better off from an exp/hr and an item/hr basis dropping down mp levels.
Reply Quote
- On what MP do you typically farm?- Do you usually just farm casually and pick up whatever Essences you acquire along the way, or do ever go out of your way to farm Essences specifically? - About how many Essences do you pick up in a session? - Do you use those Essences immediately, or are you a player that likes to stock up? - When it comes to crafting, is gold the limiting factor for you or are Essences?- How many Essences would you like to ideally see in a farming session, and why do you feel that amount would be better than what you see currently?Thanks!

I agree essence should be 10% per MP because I want to craft a lot of items but I cannot due to lack of the material. Also, what good is a gold sink if people cant use it?

I farm MP 10.
I go out of my way to farm voa for essence.
I seem to average about 4 per run but as with everything that varies.
I craft a full inventory at a time anything less is just disappointing because even the almost upgrades don't show up.
I would like to get 1 per elite on MP 10. It would be better because you can see progression and it enables people to use the gold sink.

The crafted items are one of my favorite additions to the game. That said, you still need to craft approximately 15k of an item to get a really high end roll. That keeps people trying but only if they have essences.
Reply Quote
Blizz - Crafting is vital to advancement these days, unless you are extremely lucky, or have lots of real money to spare. I dont have any issue in SC, because if you die grinding, so what. You can run higher MP levels in SC without much risk to get an increased percent of DE dropping. However, in HC the risk become exponentially higher when trying to increase MP levels to get those DE drops - death is permanent. Can you increase the drop percentages in HC to allow more crafting? Thanks for considering it.

Regards
Reply Quote
When Demonic Essence first was patched into the game, I just brushed it off. I picked up the item when it would drop, and just store it for later. Well, when I was combing through the forums looking for a good to go Monk Tempest rushing build [to farm MP1-3] I read now the craft-able items seem to be currently best in slot items [atleast according to the TR guide].

*And to further comment on the TR Guide, by following it I exceeded my goals of farming MP 1-3 by TR'ing all over the place-----I actually farm MP10 now.

I will admit though, I did have to have a lot of funds on standby to begin crafting bulks of the account bound items, to increase my chances that I would get that perfect set of stats. 100-200 is a safe aim when working to craft these items. As seen in my forum profile, I've mad a great deal of success with getting these items crafted up. IT did require a lot of mats, and all the Demonic essence I stockpiled----has been used.

I was just going to give my testimony on the Demonic Essence and crafted items experience. IF we increase the drop rate then the crafting game is much more quickly repeatable, and we'd all be in MP 10 in a few days. I'm satisfied with the current drop rate of Demonic Essence. Not once did I feel I didn't have enough. If fact, since I'm still willing to bet I can get one of the crafted items to roll EVEN HIGHER stats than what I have [and we are talking huge needle in haystack operation] it gives me some incentive to continue playing the game.

I have read one desired experience from Blizzard: When a player sits down at D3; instead of "Welp, time to farm Act3", the goal is to have a player sit down and say, "What do I want to do this afternoon/evening".

^When I sit down to play, I do find myself asking this question when I sit down to play. Yesterday I was seeking Legendary drop[rolls] and either found something I could sell, or a companion stat upgrade. The day before that I was able to buy flawless squares at an AMAZINGLY CHEAP PRICE compared to what I've seen it as. So I spent a that evening rolling out dex. amulets, got a stat upgrade.

And tonight, I'm convinced, my initial plans for the evening involve Demonic Essence farming.

I play this game more often than I should, but I would like to offer firsthand testimony that the game has vastly improved, and I frequently get stat upgrades either from monster slaying, crafting, or Auction house [selling something, and using those funds to increase resist all on my tier gear].

Suggestions:

The Keywarden Farming grouping system from public chat, really needs some attention. The only real way to confirm that your KW group isn't gimped----or you get 5 stacks to discover the KW was downed------is to make your own group and open it to public. Sometimes people don't join my game until I myself have 5 stacks....and to be nice I help them get their own stacks but....this isn't as efficient as I believe it was intended to be. Please give the KW groupies some design love ;)

In addition to the KW farming which results in a account bound Ring roll: I feel like the time is near for something else to give more incentive to farm keys. Though I've crafted some pretty hefting rings, it no longer fits into my build due to Stone of Jordan :-/

I think it would be nice to have a stored ability system [idea from WoW talent set switching]. A one-click option for switching skills around for a stored desired build would probably be well received. [Depending on what I want to do, I have to have two different skill setups for different levels of MP, and clear speed. Also, if I want to push benefits of a healing monk [simply running guiding light combo for a party damage increase] It would be nice to have that skill setup on standby so I can change, and get back to clearing [once I find a group that seems to do good dps, I enjoy switching to guiding light and letting them feel even tougher].

There are SEVERAL abilities that proc [such as Guiding Light, and Hand of Reach: Forseight] in when there is NO indication other than having to pull up my inventory [either fighting with it, or continuously pulling it up] to check my dps #'s and make sure my party buffs are still up or do they need a recast. I started counting in my head while clearing to know when I need to recast guiding light [or forsight] and....it would just be much nicer if there was an indication at bottom of screen [like everything else] when something like forsight kicks on----how long to I have before I have to do it again. OR, how much longer is guiding light up? It would be nice if I could simply recast as soon as it runs out in opposed to counting, or guessing.

Also...I really wish I had Tyrael wings.
Edited by BrownTown#1836 on 6/11/2013 3:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
On what MP do you typically farm?

It varies depending on which character i feel like playing but usually 6-10

Do you usually just farm casually and pick up whatever Essences you acquire along the way, or do ever go out of your way to farm Essences specifically?

Definitely a casual farmer. I don't feel the need to go out of my way to farm them.

About how many Essences do you pick up in a session?
It varies a lot, but if i had to give an average number, I'd say probably 4-5 per A1 run. I would like to point out i see fewer on MP10 than I do on the lower mp's. Which seems a bit backward to me.

Do you use those Essences immediately, or are you a player that likes to stock up?

Stock up, i guess. Not that I really try to stock up...i just pick up way more than i use.

How many Essences would you like to ideally see in a farming session, and why do you feel that amount be better than what you see currently

Where they're at is perfect for the lower mp's, but mp10 should never have been nerfed.
Reply Quote
from a 2500 hour player. My thoughts addressing some of your questions:
1. I think the cost is too much considering that in my 2500 hours of playing I have farmed 352M gold.
eauates to 3250 crafts if all I did was craft with that farmed gold.
2. I farm mostly mp 7-8. There is a barb forum post " 1hr de farming challenge...". The most farmed per hour is I think 45 per hour. Any higher mp difficulty it becomes inefficient for your time.
3. I now no longer stockpile de coz it becomes all too frustrating when i craft like 200 and all really are unusable. But then again my gear is high end. So I craft as I finish a run.
Edited by Kelemvor#1820 on 6/11/2013 3:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 01:44 PMPosted by Lylirra
Your post is pretty interesting, because most threads I've seen (both here and on other Diablo fan sites) typically say that Essences drop too frequently. I'm glad you created it, since it's generated a lot of great debate on the topic.

I can tell you right off the bat most of the problems with loot in general come from the fact that people are generally playing on low Monster Power levels and or are undergeared and can't farm MP 10 consistently.

There is a HUGE discrepancy between new players and well established players in regards to Magic Find and Monster Power's addition of Magic Find.

I really didn't notice an increase in loot quality until I had spent some real money to buy gold, so that I could have the gear to do MP7+ comfortably. Only then did I notice the benefit of Magic Find and how it greatly impacted the way I played.

Magic Find is one of those horrible mechanics that really need to just vanish away. Of course you'll need to compensate MP levels (Which is already done quite well thanks to the bonus item roll) for players who decide to tackle higher content.

Long story short, it is not fun for a new player to enter the system
Reply Quote
Now, here is a perspective from the HC side, since 99% of the posts and comments come from the SC side of the game, where death don't matter and godly gear is easy to acquire for farm MP9-10 efficiently.

I've been playing quite a lot Hc for the last several months and although I was able to craft some decent stuff, which I've lost during the many deaths, I can say that drop rates for DE are a little low.
Majority of my runs are done MP5-6, which is well above average for most HC players. I will be lucky if in 20min run I drop more than 3-4 DE, which mean on average I farm 10-15 per hour.
I do salvage all my rare drops for mats, so I almost never have to buy mats from the AH to craft (mats are expensive), which leads me to believe I don't farm enough essences to be able to craft all my mats.
When I ran A3 MP1-2, I would get 1-3 essences per run.
Nowadays I farm mostly A1 MP5-6 - typically 8-10 elites and 0-2 DE per run. Most I've ever gotten is 4 for A1 run.
When I farm A2 keys, in the 5-6 elites I kill while KW is found, I get 0-3 essences in 15min or so.

Having said that, I would love to craft more, just because AH is limited on upgrades and only way for me to obtain one is thru crafting Archon items, for which I don't have enough DE.

in SC the drop rates might seem fine, but most people farm Mp6-8, where in HC most people farm MP0-1.
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 03:57 PMPosted by silentkiller
in SC the drop rates might seem fine, but most people farm Mp6-8, where in HC most people farm MP0-1.

HC is HC for a reason everything is harder and more riskier to obtain. It wouldn't be any amazing feat to see someone farm mp10 on HC if it was just as easy and dangerous as SC.
Reply Quote
And Yeah... I agree with Fusion... Remove the BOA from them... That would fix all problems.

NO.....please no.

Doing this...we're going right back to the AH meta-game. Doing what you suggest puts the RMAH'ers right back in the drivers seat. Yet again, they need not play to get great gears, even the BoA crafts.

Allowing all BoA item mats to be purchasable via the AH is going right back to giving great advantage to people whom just spend real money to get ahead. They wouldn't even need to play the game to be able to sit and craft all day long.

Who cares? Itemization is coming anyway mine as well let us progress as much as we can with these horrible items before the game changes completely!

WTB 50k essences for 2B ;)
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 6/11/2013 4:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
if your having trouble getting essences then your prob doing something wrong IMO. i have so many i cant do nuttin with them.
Reply Quote

Who cares? Itemization is coming anyway mine as well let us progress as much as we can with these horrible items before the game changes completely!

WTB 50k essences for 2B ;)

I care. Essences wouldn't feel rewarding at all if they could be bought. The price would be cheap, no doubt, and finding them would be entirely unrewarding.

The idea of BoA crafts is partially end-game related. Players will always have this little side-job of attempting to roll that white-whale craft. If essences could be bought, than many of the more well off players will do exactly what you joked about, buy 500k essences and roll BoA's with IMPUNITY, ruining the end-game aspect of crafting.

With that kind stack, you would be able to have godly maxed out trifectas on all your BoA slots in just one evening.
Reply Quote
Reading through this thread and checking other threads on DE farming I'm seeing a pattern. A lot of the players that feel the drop rate is way to low seem to also believe that MP10 should be the best MP for farming them. It's not. MP5-6 is where the top geared players mostly farm DE for a reason.

I can speed farm for loot on MP9-10 with both my barb and monk who buffed up are over 300K dps and have enough eHP/sustain that reflect damage is a "free"affix. I farm DE on MP5 running only the VotA. 7-9 elite packs in a few minutes, exit, resume, repeat. 30-35 DE every hour.

So before complaining about the drop rate please do one thing first. Take your best character on the highest MP where you still basically one shot elites and run act 2 VotA repeatedly for an hour. Don't go AFK, check the AH, stare off into space, etc... between runs. Clear out all the elites skipping trash mobs, exit, start new, repeat.
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 04:13 PMPosted by Infiltr8t0r
if your having trouble getting essences then your prob doing something wrong IMO. i have so many i cant do nuttin with them.

You have a few OK/decent BoA crafts. Why on earth you aren't continuing to better your BoA's is well beyond my ability to understand.
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 04:17 PMPosted by BurningRope

You have a few OK/decent BoA crafts. Why on earth you aren't continuing to better your BoA's is well beyond my ability to understand.

no reason really, i just pop on n do some key runs here n there. i get so bored with crafting
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]