Diablo® III

Raise the drop rate of Demonic Essences

View profile

So before complaining about the drop rate please do one thing first. Take your best character on the highest MP where you still basically one shot elites and run act 2 VotA repeatedly for an hour. Don't go AFK, check the AH, stare off into space, etc... between runs. Clear out all the elites skipping trash mobs, exit, start new, repeat.

Many people, including myself, do not want this game relegated to all the machine like efficiency of a Chinese gold farmer.

I think what many people would like is to see more essences drop without having to do this slot-machine "rinse and repeat" style of play.

Sure, you can garner 30+ essences in an hour. It takes all of 2 minutes to blow through them all.

Personally I think the rate is fine, but a small increase would be ok by me.
Reply Quote
View profile
06/10/2013 12:53 PMPosted by jt217
The better solution, by far, is obviously to remove the BoA crap, I really just have no idea why more people don't support that.
Nope. The only reason you want this is so you can sell it on the AH, and that is the entire reason why you can't have it.

I keep telling everyone:

If you want something changed in a game, chances are the reason why you want it to change is the exact reason why it wont be.
Reply Quote
View profile
06/11/2013 04:19 PMPosted by Infiltr8t0r

You have a few OK/decent BoA crafts. Why on earth you aren't continuing to better your BoA's is well beyond my ability to understand.

no reason really, i just pop on n do some key runs here n there. i get so bored with crafting

Crafting is often something I save for the end of my play session. If I play for 2 hours and I'm sitting on 30 essences, I'll roll 'em up and see what I get before I log off.

Sometimes I go to sleep happy when I hit a good one. I really like the dynamic that BoA's present us with now. Just a little side-job equivalent to Gheed Gambling in D2.
Reply Quote

no reason really, i just pop on n do some key runs here n there. i get so bored with crafting

Crafting is often something I save for the end of my play session. If I play for 2 hours and I'm sitting on 30 essences, I'll roll 'em up and see what I get before I log off.

Sometimes I go to sleep happy when I hit a good one. I really like the dynamic that BoA's present us with now. Just a little side-job equivalent to Gheed Gambling in D2.

i just hopped on real fast n used up 15mil to try n craft a str amulet, and i didnt get 1 worth talking about. hah
Reply Quote
What I have a problem with is how RNG they are. I honestly went from P88-P89 without a single essence, usually running MP8 sometimes 10. But I had previously been happy with the drop rate at pre P88. And now they are dropping at a more consistent frequency again. I know it was just RNG doing what it does, but when you get on that down streak it's brutal.

I believe DE's should have the same exact drop rate as keys. 10% per MP level. I think that's fair and not at all unreasonable. I know some people who have had lucky crafting experiences might think it's overkill, but it really isn't. When I started Crafting the BoA stuff, my Ammy was first and I got extremely lucky and rolled the one I have on the 5th craft. I thought whoa this is way to easy. But once I switched to other parts the reality for the RNG kicked in. It took at least 1000+ tries to get my gloves (and they still lack the necessary AR I need). Bracers and shoulders have been a nightmare too. If I do actually craft an upgrade for my Shoulders I'll be in complete shock.

My point is while 1 per elite mob on MP10 may seem excessive, once you've gone through thousands of crafts, you realize that drop rate should be a minimum.
Reply Quote

So before complaining about the drop rate please do one thing first. Take your best character on the highest MP where you still basically one shot elites and run act 2 VotA repeatedly for an hour. Don't go AFK, check the AH, stare off into space, etc... between runs. Clear out all the elites skipping trash mobs, exit, start new, repeat.

Many people, including myself, do not want this game relegated to all the machine like efficiency of a Chinese gold farmer.

I think what many people would like is to see more essences drop without having to do this slot-machine "rinse and repeat" style of play.

Except that is what Diablo is all about; you farm over and over and over again until you get what you want. I played Diablo 2 a few weeks ago and I was in a dire need of a bow upgrade, so I farmed the cow level over and over, until I got a matriarchal bow, but that one had no sockets, so I farmed the countess over and over for runes so I could cube four sockets. The bow turned out with five sockets, so I started all over again.

This is Diablo.
Reply Quote
FWIW, if they changed the DE drop rate to 10% per mp level, farming on mp 5 and 6 would still be way more efficient than farming on mp10.

You can't really change the "more monsters killed = more loot/xp" paradigm without drastically changing how the game works.
Reply Quote
Couple of questions for you so I can get a bit of context for where your feedback is coming from (anyone is welcome to chime in):

- On what MP do you typically farm?

MP10

06/11/2013 01:44 PMPosted by Lylirra
- Do you usually just farm casually and pick up whatever Essences you acquire along the way, or do ever go out of your way to farm Essences specifically?

Because of the low drop rate (IMHO) for MP10, I just pick them up when they drop. I've gone back to farming for legendary items.

- About how many Essences do you pick up in a session?

I pick up all DEs that I see.

Now, here's the interesting part. If I do my Act I run, I typically get 5 DEs per run. If I do my Act III run, I typically get 15 DEs per run. Conversely, my Act I run nets me anywhere from 4 to 12 legendaries while my Act III run nets me 2 to 4 legendaries.

My Act I run is as follows (all full clears): Cemetery and crypts (except Developer Hell), Fields of Misery (Decaying Crypt and fallen den), Festering Woods (both crypts), Northern Highlands, Weeping Hollow.

My Act III run is as follows (all full clears): Skycrown Battlements, Keeps 3, Fields of Slaughter, Rakkis Bridge, 1st Tower 1-3, 2nd Tower 1-3.

I did enough Act III runs to last a lifetime. I don't think I should be stuck doing them still just to get DEs.

- Do you use those Essences immediately, or are you a player that likes to stock up?

I stock up until I get to about 30, then use them. It takes so freaking long doing Act I runs to get to 30, I just can't try to save more than that.

- When it comes to crafting, is gold the limiting factor for you or are Essences?

DEs...without a doubt.

- How many Essences would you like to ideally see in a farming session, and why do you feel that amount would be better than what you see currently?

In all honesty, in MP10, I'd prefer to have a DE drop from each 'thing' that can give you valor, plus goblins. Basically, exactly as it is now, just with a 100% chance to drop in MP10.
Edited by Balthazar23#1929 on 6/11/2013 5:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
-Right now it is a pain to farm demonic essences, their drop rate is just too low for an item that much needed by the players,

-Considering the actual drop rate in mp10 is 38.9% it is just extremely low, considering most players have to craft in amounts of 100 or 200 at the same time, it just gets too annoying.

-There are some upgrades that cannont be achieved without crafting at all, i'd like demonic essences to be guaranteed when killin every single elite monster in mp10. That'd be awesome

Your post is pretty interesting, because most threads I've seen (both here and on other Diablo fan sites) typically say that Essences drop too frequently. I'm glad you created it, since it's generated a lot of great debate on the topic.

Couple of questions for you so I can get a bit of context for where your feedback is coming from (anyone is welcome to chime in):

- On what MP do you typically farm?

- Do you usually just farm casually and pick up whatever Essences you acquire along the way, or do ever go out of your way to farm Essences specifically?

- About how many Essences do you pick up in a session?

- Do you use those Essences immediately, or are you a player that likes to stock up?

- When it comes to crafting, is gold the limiting factor for you or are Essences?

- How many Essences would you like to ideally see in a farming session, and why do you feel that amount would be better than what you see currently?

Thanks!

id like to hop in and answer this one as well. as one of the true bad luck brians of this rng game.

when essences farming purely for essences i do it on mp7 in vault of the assassins and can get maybe 200 essences in a day (doing nothing else all day mind you). but that is not something i want to do as it is extremly boring.

i normally play on mp10 in act 1 and it feels like i barely get any essences as at all. and to me, this is a problem. i had to craft 5.600ish crafts to get my first trifecta glove. crafted another 400 after that but got nothing good. i had been crafting gloves like mad since the patch hit.

here is my suggestion. up the droprate by maybe 10% on mp10 and let purple mobs drop essences (that way, they will finally be worth the time to accually kill). and maybe add some form of brimstone to essences convertion at the blacksmith.

that way you make brimstones more valuable again, which will be of great help to all players since 99.999999% of all legendary drops end in brimstones.

10 or 20 brimstones for 1 demonic essences seems fairly good to me. thus hitting two birds with one stone. us people with no luck can maybe earn some gold. and the billionares can craft to their hearts content.

Oh and on a totaly unrealated note, nerf the fear on echo. having the BiS weapon for melee characters be the most annoying thing in the game hardly seems like good game design.
Reply Quote
Essence will always be the limiting factor, not gold or mats. People who say the drop rate is ok, or they drop too much aren't focused on crafting, or don't craft at all. When you hit pl100 that is all there is left to do, and it's very annoying to be held back by a crappy drop rate. I believe it should be a 50% chance on mp10. That is all I play anymore, and I won't go lower just to get DE faster.

The current "most effective" way of DE farming blows my mind. Faster runs and easier content for MORE essence. WTF is that? I do mp10 VotA runs specifically for DE and there will be times that I clear it without a single DE. That should never happen, and it feels like a complete waste of time when it does.
Edited by MikeHoncho#1169 on 6/11/2013 5:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile

Except that is what Diablo is all about; you farm over and over and over again until you get what you want. I played Diablo 2 a few weeks ago and I was in a dire need of a bow upgrade, so I farmed the cow level over and over, until I got a matriarchal bow, but that one had no sockets, so I farmed the countess over and over for runes so I could cube four sockets. The bow turned out with five sockets, so I started all over again.

This is Diablo.

It is Diablo, agreed.

Go out, farm for essences, roll your crafts until you're out...rinse and repeat. Sounds like Diablo to me.

Making essences trade-able means you no longer have to bother looking for them. Let's not forget that AH's were never a part of the Diablo realm. They are now, like it or not, and making essences trade-able means you only need $$$ to have all you want. That....that is NOT Diablo.
Reply Quote
many play only for DE's to craft

All of want BIS crafts, and the odds are so slim...

for me gloves HAVE to roll Dex, high AR, high attack speed, high CHD, high CHC. the actual odds of even getting a glove with these rolls is so abysmally low, that even with unlimited DE's you'd need thousands or more, and that's just one slot. add shoulders/bracers/amulet, and now you're talking 10's of thousands of DE's and literally hundreds of hours. i don't think any game should be this much work for upgrades...
Reply Quote
Actually I think the drop rate is wrong and that's why there are so many complaints.

I feel the drop rate of both DE, gems, pots and tomes should only be 10% on MP10.
They should be 100% on MP1, where people need the most help with gear and could use crafts.

MP10 should have max drop rate of magic items, xp of course, gold and keys.

And if more DEs drop, maybe brimstones go up in price thus making even the worst legendaries go up in value, greater than their vendor value.
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 05:38 PMPosted by Rorschach
They should be 100% on MP1, where people need the most help with gear and could use crafts.
Do you not realize that the crafts the require DE's have potential to be the Best items in the game for each slot? Everyone could use those crafts, especially at end game high para levels when there is no longer any item that can drop that you can upgrade too.
Reply Quote
Essence will always be the limiting factor, not gold or mats. People who say the drop rate is ok, or they drop too much aren't focused on crafting, or don't craft at all. When you hit pl100 that is all there is left to do, and it's very annoying to be held back by a crappy drop rate. I believe it should be a 50% chance on mp10. That is all I play anymore, and I won't go lower just to get DE faster.

The current "most effective" way of DE farming blows my mind. Faster runs and easier content for MORE essence. WTF is that? I do mp10 VotA runs specifically for DE and there will be times that I clear it without a single DE. That should never happen, and it feels like a complete waste of time when it does.

There's no way to change the current "most effective" way of DE farming without completely changing the mechanics of the game. What people don't notice (either because they're too stupid to notice or because they don't want to) is that none of the suggested changes to DE drop rate will change the fact that it's more efficient to farm them on MP5 than MP10. "More Kills = More Loot" is the way it works and the way it will always work.
Reply Quote

There's no way to change the current "most effective" way of DE farming without completely changing the mechanics of the game. What people don't notice (either because they're too stupid to notice or because they don't want to) is that none of the suggested changes to DE drop rate will change the fact that it's more efficient to farm them on MP5 than MP10. "More Kills = More Loot" is the way it works and the way it will always work.

Agreed... The whole "we don't want players to feel like they have to player higher MPs" thinking was good in theory. But, they've gimped MP10 so badly with the higher number of HP, without having a corresponding increase in MF/DE drops, the ratios are completely out of whack.

Basically, they're telling us that in MP10 it's going to take 500% longer to kill something, but only give a 50% bonus (cant remember exact numbers and I'm too lazy to look them up, but you catch my drift) to MF and DE drops.
Reply Quote

Agreed... The whole "we don't want players to feel like they have to player higher MPs" thinking was good in theory. But, they've gimped MP10 so badly with the higher number of HP, without having a corresponding increase in MF/DE drops, the ratios are completely out of whack.

Basically, they're telling us that in MP10 it's going to take 500% longer to kill something, but only give a 50% bonus (cant remember exact numbers and I'm too lazy to look them up, but you catch my drift) to MF and DE drops.

And all that means, which is what most people miss, is that you aren't strong enough to effectively farm mp10.
Reply Quote

if the drop rate were 100% on MP10 then i think the efficiency between drops and the time invested would be more equally balanced. For example, if it takes 1:30 to do a cota run or warrior's resrt run on MP10, not including teleport back to town, leave game, restart and get back to the warrior's rest again, you're talking maybe 35-40 DE drops on mp10 in a solid hour of monotonous gameplay, which is on par with the current most efficient low MP DE farmer. but knowing that after investing the time i'm GUARENTEED to have essenses, make it worthwhile even if all 40 bracer crafts are garbage...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]