Diablo® III

Bnet and console D3...

No offline play on PC -> Mass whining about having to be online.

Offline play on console -> Mass whining about duping.

You can't have it both ways, kids.
Reply Quote
So also what you are saying is that my bud comes over with his fresh 60 and I say here is all my gear. and then reload from the USB. how would you stop the massive duping that will be going on? basically it makes everything worthless.

I hope that I'm reading this wrong.

You are reading it right.

What do you expect from OFFLINE version?!?

Sooner than you know there will be save game editing software, where you can just kit your character in 100% perfect gear or even gear that can't normally drop in game!

Just like in Diablo 2.

This is exactly what all you OFFLINE version advocates wanted!
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warrior
No offline play on PC -> Mass whining about having to be online.

Offline play on console -> Mass whining about duping.

You can't have it both ways, kids.

Yes you can, D2 had offline and online profiles, separated. Obviously it had dupes, but not because of that system - D3 has dupes too.
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 05:56 PMPosted by Grimiku
This can be done, but it should be noted that all of the heroes are stored together with the profile, so all of your characters on the console would be overwritten with the USB version.

So you are saying that if I die in Hardcore on a PC (due to say a client crash, or blue screen etc) that there is absolutely no way that you can get your toon back (according to the hardcore rules), but on a console it's as simple as restoring it back from it's last "save" point? Hope I'm reading this wrong.
Edited by ReaVer#6327 on 7/8/2013 11:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 11:03 PMPosted by ReaVer
This can be done, but it should be noted that all of the heroes are stored together with the profile, so all of your characters on the console would be overwritten with the USB version.

So you are saying that if I die in Hardcore on a PC (due to say a client crash, or blue screen etc) that there is absolutely now way that you can get your toon back (according to the hardcore rules), but on a console it's as simple as restoring it back from it's last "save" point? Hope I'm reading this wrong.

You are reading it perfectly right. Offline + HARDCORE = impossible, since everybody will be just making backups every couple of hours.
Reply Quote
So I assume that the "Hardcore" mode on console would probably not mean perma death but there will be different penalties than on PC for dying? Guess all will be revealed.
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 11:35 PMPosted by ReaVer
So I assume that the "Hardcore" mode on console would probably not mean perma death but there will be different penalties than on PC for dying? Guess all will be revealed.

No. The 'restore' ability on consoles that is made possible via HDD storage is not in any way an intended feature.

Hence hardcore on console will lose a lot of it's validity as being truly hardcore but that doesn't mean players can't enjoy their own personal experience. If a player truly wants to play hardcore then they won't restore their character via a backup, it defeats the whole purpose. If someone does choose to play that way then that is their choice frankly.. it's not a competition so it's not like it affects anyone else.

I'm personally really looking forward to playing Hardcore offline on console, I couldn't care less if other people decide to restore dead characters.
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 11:40 PMPosted by DamienJohn
Hence hardcore on console will lose a lot of it's validity as being truly hardcore but that doesn't mean players can't enjoy their own personal experience. If a player truly wants to play hardcore then they won't restore their character via a backup, it defeats the whole purpose. If someone does choose to play that way then that is their choice frankly.. it's not a competition so it's not like it affects anyone else.

Get real, people not restoring their dead HC offline characters is as real as people deleting their characters in current Softcore after they die first time.
Reply Quote
How does this work with playing on hardcore? Can I save my character on a USB before each playsession and then reload him if I happen to die?

So will we get this opstion for the PC version. I mean offline mode, No server lag on hardcore and normal no DC, no high MS or DRM till the end of the world?
You know that a lot of console players will play craced version of D3.
Reply Quote
Wow! I am so enlightened and intrigued after reading this forum discussion. I may just play on console now so I can have perfect items. Oh yea and a paragon level 100 hardcore. Swwweeet
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 06:22 PMPosted by RogueMX
If they were to implement that now, PC players would have a huge advantage over console.

Not that much of a difference to someone that just buy the game, whether it's PC or console. Most people I know don't buy games at launch.
Reply Quote
07/09/2013 02:24 PMPosted by MEANDONLYME
Wow! I am so enlightened and intrigued after reading this forum discussion. I may just play on console now so I can have perfect items. Oh yea and a paragon level 100 hardcore. Swwweeet

not that you would be able to display that anywhere for people to see since there is no b.net style character profile viewing... but i guess it would make the game a lot easier (and somewhat more boring)
Reply Quote
Perhaps adding in a set amount of time for the character to be "reloaded" from usb would not solve the problem, but limit it somewhat. For example, you could use cloud based saves and access those from a friends house or wherever you so please, at any time, but once the character was "reloaded" from usb, it would take a 3 day "validation" check in order to be able to play that character online. Like I said it wouldn't solve the problems at hand so to speak, but it would stop people from just dropping gear and reloading for more gold and dupes.

The thing that I do not understand is why you would allow offline characters to play with online. In diablo 2 they were completely separate, why abandon that idea? I understand consoles are a bit different than pc, but its also in all the wrong ways, simple hex editors will have lvl 1 characters dealing 100k dmg, dupes out the !@#, your game will not be fun within the first week its released when someone hits paragon 100 in a day. Which will be rather easy to do when you mod the monsters grant +xp affix. The reason this really bothers me is because you are quoted offering cloud based storage, now correct me if im wrong but while offering this could you not validate the integrity of the file before it is saved? Doing so would solve all of your problems, and create a fair and rewarding gameplay for everyone. By not separating offline and online, you're setting yourself up for a borderlands game, which if you look at the stats of online play, you'll be able to directly correlate just how fast your game is going to fail.

Btw, I do not own consoles, or wish to play on them, but even from a pc perspective, you're ruining the fun this game has to offer before its even released.

P.s. Hardcore mode, is meant to be just that, you die, you're dead. Thats whats fun about the mode, its not for everyone, but making it to where you can just reload your character when it dies...? You might as well not even implemented then because it takes the ENTIRE point away from the mode. No one wants to play, "Its almost hardcore..."
Edited by One2bit#1297 on 7/9/2013 8:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/09/2013 12:19 AMPosted by Darlynn

Get real, people not restoring their dead HC offline characters is as real as people deleting their characters in current Softcore after they die first time.

As I said, people will choose to play their own way. Not sure how that could be considered 'real' or not.

There isn't a leaderboard nor a competitive element so it's not affecting anyone. And keep in mind that for a character to be restored you will actually need to back it up to the external media in the first place, it's not like it's going to be an option on the menu that reads "Revive Dead Hardcore Character from Back-up".

I won't be restoring my Hardcore characters from back-ups, does that make me.. UNREAL?!? :O
Reply Quote
07/09/2013 10:59 PMPosted by DamienJohn

As I said, people will choose to play their own way. Not sure how that could be considered 'real' or not.

There isn't a leaderboard nor a competitive element so it's not affecting anyone. And keep in mind that for a character to be restored you will actually need to back it up to the external media in the first place, it's not like it's going to be an option on the menu that reads "Revive Dead Hardcore Character from Back-up".

I won't be restoring my Hardcore characters from back-ups, does that make me.. UNREAL?!? :O

You may not, however for every one person like you a hundred others will reload; making it not really feel like an achievement for those who did it legit and hence therefore taking away from the game play.
The human mind finds enjoyment in having the dots line up (every time the brain makes the right connections with sequences it will release endorphins).
Music is a good example of this and how it stimulates the brain, hence the reason we all like different music as we all like different patterns, shapes, sounds and what lines up to some doesn't always line up for others.

Now having your character die - clearly the dot don't line up (no endorphins released), you get more determined to surpass that challenge (Banking for a bigger reward when accomplished).
So say you've died 3 times and had to start from the start each time (you now have the banking of wanting the dots to line up x3 and then the dots lining up cause you accomplished it therefore you have 3 loads of endorphins released "1st load is the accomplishment", "2nd load is your want for the accomplishment", "3rd load when all the dots line up for the your determination you put in").
Now the banking stage is removed as you can just reload your character, even if you don't you know that others can (No banking = no real reward).

The best games are the ones that offer bigger rewards, an achievements reward is not felt unless banking has taken place!
Reply Quote
Easy fix would be to force cloud storage only on xbox then no way tp get from cloud to usb
Reply Quote

You may not, however for every one person like you a hundred others will reload; making it not really feel like an achievement for those who did it legit and hence therefore taking away from the game play.
The human mind finds enjoyment in having the dots line up (every time the brain makes the right connections with sequences it will release endorphins).
Music is a good example of this and how it stimulates the brain, hence the reason we all like different music as we all like different patterns, shapes, sounds and what lines up to some doesn't always line up for others.

Now having your character die - clearly the dot don't line up (no endorphins released), you get more determined to surpass that challenge (Banking for a bigger reward when accomplished).
So say you've died 3 times and had to start from the start each time (you now have the banking of wanting the dots to line up x3 and then the dots lining up cause you accomplished it therefore you have 3 loads of endorphins released "1st load is the accomplishment", "2nd load is your want for the accomplishment", "3rd load when all the dots line up for the your determination you put in").
Now the banking stage is removed as you can just reload your character, even if you don't you know that others can (No banking = no real reward).

The best games are the ones that offer bigger rewards, an achievements reward is not felt unless banking has taken place!

Oh I absolutely agree. I was just stating the fact that just because it's possible it doesn't necessarily mean everyone will do it.
Reply Quote
all this talk about HC being ... well "not so HC"... then just don't play it... for that matter, don't buy the console if these things irk you that much.

But we should mosdef keep the discussions constructive (unlike the PC forums where I have come from).

I do think, that there are some valid points that Blizzard should be thinking about, most importantly how to protect the integrity of the save file that can be "conveniently" transferred via USB HD. I understand, this was meant as a positive aspect since it made playing together much easier.

At the same time, one must ask, what are the true consequences of save file editing? If you are like me and will mostly be playing with local friends and family all around one TV, then not much. I find the way PSN is, trading will be very difficult anyways. The forums will most likely facilitate trades (since there is no AH) just like the D2 days.

On the flipside, console will offer a much tailored experience to players. If you want to cheat, and you have a way to cheat, go for it. Their endeavours don't necessarily get as far or make as much an impact as opposed to PC, because the economy is much smaller and the transfer methods are very limited. At the same time, it is also much easier to make a pure experience since making online friends in console I'd imagine is much harder. Clans would have to be formed on forums first, and then its much easier to "kick" clan members who don't follow self-imposed "self-found" rules anyways (everybody just stops grouping with them).
Reply Quote
How does this work with playing on hardcore? Can I save my character on a USB before each playsession and then reload him if I happen to die?

That's too bad. Based on this particular point, there's no way I'll buy the console version.

This makes Hardcore and Trading completely worthless, which are the 2 main reasons I play.
Reply Quote
Of cours you can dupe items with ps3 version.Suppose this,you find an echoing fury 1300 dps with crit + sockets etc(basically the top echo),you can copy savegame into your usb stick,then trade to another friend or sell him online,trade golds with your friend,re-copy the "old" save on your ps3 -> profit.Thats why i want an ALWAYS online..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]