Diablo® III

Faint clicking Noise?

So i built a computer about 4-5 months ago and everything has worked fine up until this point. I've recently been hearing a clicking noise coming from the chassis. I didn't think anything of it until my mouse clicks now have a millisecond delay more then they are normally, and sometimes, i get lag spikes or something of the sort when playing diablo 3. I never had these issues until the clicks started occurring. I play Hardcore, so you can imagine my frustration on this preventing me from playing because i am smart enough not to play when my computer is acting such way. If anyone has any suggestion on what this may be it would be really helpful. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Reply Quote
Hard to say without knowing your specs. The only thing that could be making clicking noises would be hardware with moving parts i.e. fans, hard drives, optical drives etc.

Do you have any type of fan speed or thermal monitor software? Sounds like maybe a fan is banging against its casing or bad bearings that maybe causing it to spin slower and causing component overheating. Maybe the fan on the processor or video card or power supply?

Shouldn't be all that hard to discern where the sound is coming from just by listening closely to each part. If your system is too loud, you can try shutting the system down and unplugging devices one at a time and restarting until the sound goes away. Don't do that with the processor fan obviously. Hard drives will also start clicking sometimes due to hardware defects/failure.

But if you are getting lag even while just moving the mouse, I would definitely check out your cooling system, mainly the processor cooler, power supply and video fan/fans.
Edited by BlayneRTFM#1654 on 6/11/2013 8:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]