Diablo® III

HC Deaths due to server failure

Three of us died tonight due to the server not being able to handle the amount of mobs in the game. We ran up to the pack and the game started to freeze up on us and server became very laggy and by the time the lag subsided most of the mobs were dead and so were 3 of us players.

Link to the video is here:
http://www.twitch.tv/cheezeits11/c/2421991

Is there anyway that we could get our characters rolled back because losing our characters to server instability that is out of our hands is rather horrendous and appalling.

Thank you for your time and help in this matter.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. However, Blizzard will not restore a hardcore character for any reason. That is why they make you agree to that when you create the character. While your situation is unfortunate, it will not change the policy.

Permanent Death

You have but one life, eager hero. If you should die,
though your deeds will be remembered, you shall not
return again.

Customer Service will not revive
a fallen Hardcore hero for any reason.
All of your hero's items will be lost
forever upon death.

[ACCEPT] [DECLINE]

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-restorations
Fallen Hardcore Heroes
Customer Support cannot revive fallen hardcore heroes for any reason. Hardcore heroes cannot be rolled back.
Reply Quote
06/13/2013 11:07 PMPosted by Cheezeits
Three of us died tonight due to the server not being able to handle the amount of mobs in the game. We ran up to the pack and the game started to freeze up on us and server became very laggy and by the time the lag subsided most of the mobs were dead and so were 3 of us players.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796272404#12
It's not your PC as far as I can tell. I can get it to happen as well when I'm fighting a very large number of monsters, many more than the designers probably intended for players to fight initially when the game came out. When I play with a Barb friend (I'm a CM Wiz) located in another city, not on my connection, he experiences it at the same time, indicating it's more than likely a threshold being reached somewhere server-side. I never see it happen under "normal" playing conditions and I always fight large groups but nothing like what you can do with the new density changes.

They're still working on tweaking the system for the rubber banding issues so we'll pretty much have to wait and see what happens.

at least they know whats going on :/

06/13/2013 11:07 PMPosted by Cheezeits
Is there anyway that we could get our characters rolled back because losing our characters to server instability that is out of our hands is rather horrendous and appalling.

in regards to this..
MissCheetah is completely correct. there is no way customer service will revive lost HC characters.
Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 6/14/2013 10:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Makes sense that they can't revive you for a random death. But when your death is cause 100% by the servers not being able to properly function because of the amount of mobs in an area because of a change THEY made to the game is gonna make people not want to play this game anymore. Its one thing to lose your character by user error or just being in a bad spot, but when its something totally out of your hands... Its frustrating because as soon as the lag happened we were all fearing for the worse and all 4 of us (who live from California to New York) get the game lag all at once you know its on the servers end.

All the time spent on our characters and to lose them on something blizzard just obviously never tested to its max potential.
Reply Quote
Then don't play hardcore. It's the nature of the beast.

I play nothing but hardcore and it's happened to me a few times. I understand that it's frustrating, but it happens and it has always been this way
Reply Quote
You could probably start a lawsuit with this if you really feel the need to. Or just give the company a bad rep.
Reply Quote
It's impossible to rollback a dead hardcore character. It's not that customer service chooses not to, or sometimes they do for certain people/situations and they don't for others, it's that they cannot. Not will not, but cannot.

It doesn't matter how you die, you're dead. It's like real life. If your friends died in a car accident and it was totally out of their control, you can't appeal to the government that since it was out of their control they should be brought back to life. It simply cannot happen.

Don't like it, don't play hardcore.
Reply Quote
HAHA!
Reply Quote
They say they can't resurrect a fallen HC player, but they in fact can. They just don't want to. They don't want to admit fault for when their servers take a dump. The only thing they have to cover their backsides is the "hardcore agreement", and this is being told to me by a former Blizzard employee.
Reply Quote
Seeing how good Blizzard is at making money... you would think bringing a virtual dead character back to life could be arranged at a cost...

1. Loss of 1 complete normal level per resurrection or 1 complete paragon level per resurrection, with a progressively increasing penalty for failure.
or
2. A progressively increasing resurrection fee in $10 increments (Catholic approved)
or
3. Video evidence of a burnt animal sacrifice of appropriate stature
or
4. Hurling a beautiful flowered virgin into a volcano (probably needed for a Paragon 100 resurrection)

Or they could play the role of a poor God and not accept any responsibility for the reality they created....

Speaking of which... Error 3006 is now Error 33
Reply Quote
That completely ruins the point of hardcore -.-
Reply Quote
This is lame.

Clearly the players weren't to blame. The policy should be amended. We all know the risks playing HC, but for Blizzard to assume no responsibility for what is very likely their ineptitude is bad form.
Reply Quote
06/15/2013 12:40 PMPosted by Thortok2000
It's impossible to rollback a dead hardcore character. It's not that customer service chooses not to, or sometimes they do for certain people/situations and they don't for others, it's that they cannot. Not will not, but cannot.

Regardless of policy, what you're saying simply isn't true. It's a choice.
Reply Quote

It doesn't matter how you die, you're dead. It's like real life. If your friends died in a car accident and it was totally out of their control, you can't appeal to the government that since it was out of their control they should be brought back to life. It simply cannot happen.

Don't like it, don't play hardcore.

They do it for WOW, they can do it for D3... they choose not to. If it's done on computer, it can be rolled backwards. Blizzard is just too lazy to do it because when they do it for one person, they have to do it for everyone.
Reply Quote
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-restorations
Fallen Hardcore Heroes
Customer Support cannot revive fallen hardcore heroes for any reason. Hardcore heroes cannot be rolled back.
[/quote]

Blizzard and their laziness at it's best. It's not that they "cannot" its they "will not". Ask any person who works in IT about computers and doing data rollbacks. It's computer based and digitized, so it CAN be rolled back. Prove me wrong, from a technical aspect.
Reply Quote
HC deaths keep the HC economy flowing
Reply Quote
That was a very enjoyable video. Sorrid was the clever one ... he ran and ported to town when he had the chance ... Reward ... He Survived! All I saw was the spamming and continuing with the fight as far as the Wiz was concerned ... there was no attempt to teleport (and get out of danger ... fully knowing there was a bad lag) the Wiz just continued with his attack. The video was proof that in no way that the words 'Run Away' was in their minds ... only Sorrid had that wisdom.

Congrats Sorrid you live to fight another day!!!! As for the others ... the fools ... never thought of running. I was ROFL when he mentioned giving others a present and gave himself a funeral as a gift to himself. JK, nice one.

For the others, rules are rules. That's the name of the game when it comes to Hardcore.
Edited by metalguns#2673 on 6/15/2013 1:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
That was a very enjoyable video. Sorrid was the clever one ... he ran and ported to town when he had the chance ... Reward ... He Survived! All I saw was the spamming and continuing with the fight as far as the Wiz was concerned ... there was no attempt to teleport (and get out of danger ... fully knowing there was a bad lag) the Wiz just continued with his attack. The video was proof that in no way that the words 'Run Away' was in their minds ... only Sorrid had that wisdom.

Congrats Sorrid you live to fight another day!!!! As for the others ... the fools ... never thought of running.

For the others, rules are rules. That's the name of the game when it comes to Hardcore.

This, I can understand wanting to have it rolled back IF you realized what was happening and tried to escape. Stupidly continuing to fight when you know that lag could possibly kill your character is irresponsible and not worth even a QQ about it.
Reply Quote
you are eligible for one rollback i believe
Reply Quote
06/15/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Rust

Regardless of policy, what you're saying simply isn't true. It's a choice.

Customer service does not have this option.

Nowhere on their screen is a "rollback hardcore character" button. Nowhere is an "unkill" or "resurrect" button. It simply is not programmed into the game to allow customer service to do that. There is no back door or loophole or bug in the code that will let them do it.

They. Cannot. Bring. You. Back. To. Life.

In order for this to happen, they would have to roll back the entire server, so that every single player gets rolled back. That's the only option they have. And they're not going to do that simply because 3 people died to a large pack of mobs.

Customer service doesn't program the game, they're not developers. They don't have the option unless the developers give them that option, and, guess what, the developers didn't give them that option.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]