Diablo® III

CoB - Some End-Game Builds

06/11/2013 10:25 PMPosted by Madstrike
but then what passive do u let go for PtV? If ur using carnage build u would need GI, GF and CoL?

I actually remove frightening aspect and summon the dogs. The build absolutely destroys everything so long as you can manage mana properly ( I wear a SoJ and ToTD for this build). It's perfect for act1 farming. This build will struggle with a 1h setup purely due to reflect damage elites. Mana is the key, so if you have stacked much ias it probably won't work.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#cVUdYj!YTW!ccZcZY
Reply Quote
Posted your builds under Bat Builds in the sticky guide.
Reply Quote
Ive been running both dogs and circle of life, still testing but seems like a solid addition.

ps: thought final gift may be better than life link, due to gruesome feast perks.
Edited by Madstrike#1346 on 6/14/2013 1:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ive been running both dogs and circle of life, still testing but seems like a solid addition.

ps: thought final gift may be better than life link, due to gruesome feast perks.

I think you're right about the final gift rune, but I don't think it is necessary to have CoL and summon dogs at the same time. The dogs don't do much damage compared to bats, so the important thing is just to maintain the 15% buff. With CoL that means killing about 10 monsters every 30 seconds. Sacrificing also breaks channelling, so it's usually best done once before an elite battle. I think you'd probably get more benefits from switching summon dogs to BBV.

But then again, it is fun to blow up the zombie dogs, especially right after summoning :)
Reply Quote
Nice builds Trefnwyd, I'll be tying them out later on ;)
Reply Quote
Tried the many variations of this build, and it's only fun until you realize that the insane damage of CoB comes with some serious drawbacks.

CoB has a VERY short range. I estimate it at 5 yards. I camped close to an elite once, and it wasn't ticking damage at all. How close do I have to get??? Just because the animation is touching the target, doesn't mean it is actually in range. That's just stupid. I often need to adjust my position, making mana management a challenge. I can spam it forever, but having to move constantly limits its use.

Weak against fast moving targets and ranged-attack mobs that prefer to put some distance from you.

Great build for group play, especially with a Cyclone Monk or CM/WW Wiz, but there are much better options for solo. There are too many situations where this build is just a major headache to play.
Reply Quote
nice build, ive tried the carnage build, but instead of sacrifice (provoke the pack) i use sacrifice (pride) for unlimited mana and i also change some skills

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#hcUdVQ!ZeT!acZcbb

edit: i used spirit walk to get closer to long range monsters and monsters doesnt run forever, they stop for a while then run again, good chance for attack (sorry for bad english)

btw CoB build still depends on your gameplay, if you hate shortrange, then dont use bats

edit: back to old build, sacrifice just delays me lol

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#hcUdjQ!ceT!acZccZ
Edited by Kalokuh#6924 on 6/17/2013 5:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Trefnwyd,

I like this for Act 4, find it very stable and reliable in those unpredictable conditions:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gXUdic!aec!ZYZcZc

Any chance of adding more bat-variant builds to your guide?
Reply Quote
Great build for group play, especially with a Cyclone Monk or CM/WW Wiz, but there are much better options for solo. There are too many situations where this build is just a major headache to play.

I run WoS with CoB when I farm solo, it makes short work of ranged and runners.
Edited by Valsuvius#1325 on 6/17/2013 5:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Trefnwyd,

I like this for Act 4, find it very stable and reliable in those unpredictable conditions:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gXUdic!aec!ZYZcZc

Any chance of adding more bat-variant builds to your guide?

That build is actually very similar to what I use, but I run with bears instead of bats. In all honesty I don't think CoB is a great skill for act 4. Most of the elite groups will kite or be un-tankable, which really brings out the weakness of CoB. In particular, the radius of CoB is too small to deal with elites that run off, so life steal is much harder to maintain. This becomes a serious issue with desecrators/moltens/plagues. Throw is lower mob density and you have conditions which are starkly different from the other acts. These make act4 terrible for farming but awesome for a challenge. I tend to forego the innas in place of rares with much higher ehp. This is the build I use:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fiUdXT!ebc!cZZcYc

I also use FA a lot more in act 4. Usually when farming acts 1-3 I only cast it before I run into battle. Fearing monsters away is the last thing I want to do. But in act 4 I often cast FA to divide dangerous elite groups or to prevent an inbound attack (such as a hammerswing which will insta-kill me). I would suggest anyone venturing into act 4 should use FA, even if they have a 6% Skorn.

In terms of bat-variant builds, I usually use bears rather than WoS. I really liked WoS when mp10 was hard and I was doing ~180k dps, but since those days I find it doesn't really do enough damage. In acts 1-3 there are often too many monsters around to focus the damage properly, and in act 4 there are so many inanimate objects that I find a lot of the souls end up getting wasted on jars/etc. The other major problem with WoS is that it benefits most from ias, and most wds don't run with a lot of attack speed. Just like darts in the old days, WoS builds should have plentiful attack speed to compensate for the low damage of the spell. And on top of all that it requires a passive. It's obviously a very effective spell for kiting (esp. ubers), but I find bears a lot more useful in every other situation. Before bats got buffed I used WoS for ubers runs, so I know they are great in certain circumstances.

I find bears to be very effective on kiting mobs assuming mana isn't an issue simply because they do more damage. However, it's really important to continue repositioning to ensure as many bears hit the target as possible. Their range is quite impressive when backed against a wall. Perhaps most crucially, it does aoe damage, so in practice it ends up doing triple the damage of WoS. As I say though, WoS can be great for players with mid-level gearing on high mps.

This is my favourite variant build for act 1-3 farming:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#cfUdXQ!bTY!ccZcYb
And the WoS variant:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#cgUdXj!bfY!cZZcYY

I'd also like to add that I only think variant builds are useful for mid-geared players attempting mp10 or anyone attempting act 4. None of our main attacks synergise properly, and they all require different playstyles (and therefore different builds). Bats require higher ehp and more skills dedicated to crowd control (paranoia, hex, etc) - attack speed is less relevant. Bears requires less ehp but a lot more mana and preferably more damage - attack speed will kill this build in most cases. It also requires a lot more PUR. WoS requires ROE as a passive and a lot of attack speed. It's possible to work them into builds together, but in almost every situation it ends up being a bit clunky. The only variant build I have found to be truly workable is one that uses WoS/ROE to allow bear/bat spamming with very high ias. The basic theory is to have over 2aps and spam 5-6 WOS to get mana regen up to insane levels. Then blast a whole lotta bears and drain the mana pool. Rinse and repeat. It's a fun and viable alternative to the cookie cutter bears build. Here's a build for that style:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fgUdXj!Yfb!cZZcYY
Reply Quote
well now i think its time i try and slaughter hardcore with your carnage build. any opinions on my doc? ias is a little much since i found my rare AR/trifecta ring.

been meaning to try bats but been playing too much monk i guess lol
Reply Quote
06/19/2013 02:48 AMPosted by Trefnwyd
That build is actually very similar to what I use, but I run with bears instead of bats. In all honesty I don't think CoB is a great skill for act 4.

True, Bats have their weaknesses too, but your thread title is for CoB end-game. Having a guide for A1-A3, and then returning back to bears for A4 doesn't sound right. I don't use RoE. I use the build as shown, and videos as proof of concept. I'll try to do some experiments at Act 4 and see if I can drop the WoS and put in MC/BBV.

Cheers.
Reply Quote
First off, Thank you for the builds and Videos.

I have been recently doing solo Act I farms from the Fields and Cemetery, I seem to be having some issues with staying alive. I farm solo on MP8-10 depending how bad my "FPS Shakes" are that day. (Having issues with fps and screen freezes, I think the game is trying to load the map as I run through it, also on a laptop) ((its a good laptop))
When the game or my laptop are behaving, I still have issues with a few things: I still die, Like, A lot. lol. I am using the mass hysteria/locusts build. I'm sure you can view my profile and see my gear. I can crit for over 1 mil, but the thing is; I've seen videos of people gathering the entire map of mobs and are able to live with the same build. Is it something I am doing wrong? Second question is: How the Frack do you all handle the wretched mother mobs, THEY RUN AND RUN AND RUN, it makes me have a small stroke every time I see one. And god forbid there is an elite version, Oh HECK NAW!

Anyway, Thanks for the builds and Videos! Keep up the good work!
~Smash
Reply Quote
Generally speaking there are areas I run awesome and areas where I suck due mainly to monster composition. WoS seems like a possible fix, but I've been looking at Grasp as a potential 4th skill for either improving health globe number (Death is Life) or adding even more slow. Any consensus on this from people who have tried it.
Reply Quote
First off, Thank you for the builds and Videos.

I have been recently doing solo Act I farms from the Fields and Cemetery, I seem to be having some issues with staying alive. I farm solo on MP8-10 depending how bad my "FPS Shakes" are that day. (Having issues with fps and screen freezes, I think the game is trying to load the map as I run through it, also on a laptop) ((its a good laptop))
When the game or my laptop are behaving, I still have issues with a few things: I still die, Like, A lot. lol. I am using the mass hysteria/locusts build. I'm sure you can view my profile and see my gear. I can crit for over 1 mil, but the thing is; I've seen videos of people gathering the entire map of mobs and are able to live with the same build. Is it something I am doing wrong? Second question is: How the Frack do you all handle the wretched mother mobs, THEY RUN AND RUN AND RUN, it makes me have a small stroke every time I see one. And god forbid there is an elite version, Oh HECK NAW!

Anyway, Thanks for the builds and Videos! Keep up the good work!
~Smash

pickup radius is too low, skorn is better for bears
Reply Quote
06/19/2013 06:17 AMPosted by Sirsmashface
I've seen videos of people gathering the entire map of mobs and are able to live with the same build. Is it something I am doing wrong? Second question is: How the Frack do you all handle the wretched mother mobs, THEY RUN AND RUN AND RUN,

In terms of timing, there's not much difference in gathering mobs for one big group kill, or SW to each cluster of sizeable mobs for group kills. Pestilence also takes time to cast, jump and spread, so CoB users can actually do without that aggro skill. If you WoS just 1 mob in that cluster, the whole group will come after you anyway.

Those that run and run, mostly cannot be immune to Hex, so that helps a lot.

As for survival, I take it you're asking about MP10? There are multiple techniques and uses of Horrify:FA, and JF passive is very good as well. Don't feel shy to use them, as they can empower you to tank a lot of punishment, including face tanking Belial's poison explosions.
Reply Quote
Was online testing that version of the carnage build with PtV and PtP. Mana management, even with a Skorn isn't too bad so long as you really hold back the CoB casts. However the crits.....how cow I think I clocked my averages around 3 million, and my gears not even polished yet. Its amazing to run in act 1, but truly shines if you've got a cs monk to run with.

And to think I was wanting to perfect a sleet storm wiz...what was I thinking.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9363106246

Try my hybrid Dogs, Bats and Bears build.

Cuts thru _any_ elite packs like a hot knife thru butter with high enough DPS and mit (if your honest about MP choice, dont try mp10 until you 250k UNBUFFED, or 200k+ with a SOJ - and have LARGE pickup radius - it will EPIC fail otherwise!)
Reply Quote
This is mine CoB Witch Doc:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bhUcij!Tce!aZacZY
It may seem strange,but works like charm.It lacks downsides of the classic CoB build - no convienient way to deal with running away monsters,to deal with monsters with fear/knockback or dangerous abilities (ex dark berserkers or ents,2nd act desert hornets),lack of ranged attacks,out-of-mana issue,or elites whose spam plague and arcane sentries like crazy.
However,to make it work a Skorn with lifesteal 5.50% at least (or similar weapon),and attack speed 1.20-1.45 is required.
Leaping spiders with strong two-hander and high critical chance are just outstanding.Each jar spawns 4 spiders,and each spider can crit independly from others each bite.Not to mention that spiders bite 3,sometimes 4 times before they die.In mine cause,they usually crit for average 55k (70k if attacking hexed enemy) and they score average 4 crits per jar (I have only 41.5% CC,with scroundel bonus).225k of damage + ~100k from ordinary bites for just 5 mana,spammable,at long distances and with seeking target ability is really nice.Slower enemies like act 1 zombies die before they reach me if attacked at the edge of screen,the faster ones are severly wounded.

How to use the build:
Throw jars at the edge of screen while wandering and watch the spiders' behavior.If they stay near broken jar it means there are no enemies,so walk towards ~1/3 of screen and throw the jar again.If you'll see they jump on something keep spamming the jars till lured enemies will walk into Devouring Swarm's reach.When they'll do spit the locust then fire the Cloud of Bats.End of story.
In case of inability to potent use of CoB (ex Unburied elites with fear and of course their ordinary knockback ability; or Khazdra's javelineers with fear and horde) this build have an option to switch to kite mode.Because of leaping spiders rune you don't even have to bother with aiming - just run away from enemies and throw jars toward you.Spiders will leap onto enemies chasing you on their own;the range of their leaps is really big.
Edited by MasterBLB#1518 on 9/22/2013 6:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]