Diablo® III

How do skills that require aiming work?

For instance leap or blizzard?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
This was something I was, personally, very curious about, and genuinely surprised when I discovered how easy precise skill execution is with the controller. A lot of the skills in the console version were specially tuned for controller support, and skills will automatically center on whatever monster you have targeted, or fire off in the direction your hero is facing if you don’t have a monster targeted. On that note, you can hold L2 (PS3) or Left Trigger (Xbox 360) to lock on to your target for those situations that you want to be able to freely maneuver while keeping your eye on the enemy.
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 06:22 PMPosted by Grimiku
On that note, you can hold L2 (PS3) or Left Trigger (Xbox 360) to lock on to your target for those situations that you want to be able to freely maneuver while keeping your eye on the enemy.

Now this would be interesting on PC
Reply Quote
Does that mean console players have an advantage over PC players?
Reply Quote
Awesome, this was a question I had as well and am glad to hear it's something the dev's have accounted for. I get a little more hyped for console version each day.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
06/11/2013 07:25 PMPosted by JohnnyDingo

Except the two worlds are independent of each other.
Reply Quote
I sense a flaw with this control setup. Let us say I want to drop a blizzard between me and a monster on the other side of the screen. If I want to position one end of the blizzard at my feet and the other end of the blizzard at the monster's feet. This way, I could maximize the area the monster will travel with the blizzard spell as he paths to me. How would a tactic like this be possible on the console, if at all?

Keep in mind I can also aim my blizzard all while I'm moving on the pc as well.
Reply Quote
I sense CM wizard being a little difficult to play with a controller, spamming four buttons consistently might be troublesome. (Freeze, explosions, tornadoes, and armor)
Reply Quote
What is the benefits that PC players have over console?

I know Auction House is one, and?
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 08:29 PMPosted by Terukio
I sense CM wizard being a little difficult to play with a controller, spamming four buttons consistently might be troublesome. (Freeze, explosions, tornadoes, and armor)

Not if you can literally face-troller.
Reply Quote
PC Version: You hold down Shift and you can stand stationary and fire off all the range attacks [or Monk: Hand of reach] that you want.

Con: My pinky finger that holds down this shift button while using Forseight was not designed to do this. My finger has a pain that I find easy to push through at first----but after a couple of hours I have to stop and ask myself questions in the mirror.

Pro: Beer. Nobody cares about pink+holding-shift-all-day soreness. King Cobra is $1.19 and I'm confident I can make that in a day on the RMAH while clearing MP10. Unfortunately the process seems against me.

'have to get funds in battle.net balance; flip an item to my paypal, then I can buy beer from that skorn drop/roll.

Could someone tell me again why Battle.net Balance was a part of the design in the first place? It seems like a crutch at this point. It's not like the Blizzard store [Battle.net balance] has a wide variety of things I can buy. If Blizzard was still producing a wide variety of memorabilia on their online store, maybe I would consider a Hydralisk statue chilling on my desktop....there isn't one. In fact, the Blizzard store is very limited to what my own individual imagination feels it could be.

But that a personal topic from a big fan of the company. Either way, Battle.net balance seems very non-practical. And when it comes to getting your RMAH proceeds into a paypal, Bnet balance is a crutch.
Reply Quote
The battle.net balance can come in handy when purchasing new games digitally [when they come out and if you made things happen on that AH] but realistically the Blizzard store is limited [seemingly especially in the Starcraft area.] More memorabilia would increase the incentive to use bnet balance...in opposed to a crutch to save up for a big item flip onto a paypal account. I doubt the intended original design was bnet balance to be an obstacle or tool.
Reply Quote
I used spring action when OI played D3 on PC, Can't remember the name of the program but it had an option to smooth out that spring action, it was surprisingly accurate, could of been more accurate if the support was native.

Had modded for UT3 and messed around a lot with the controller settings, those assists and additional settings under the hood determines a lot how the controller feels,

So using the analog for aim is indeed plausable, but I doubt they going that direction since they assigned dodge to the right analog.
Edited by Techies#1508 on 6/12/2013 3:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What is the benefits that PC players have over console?

I know Auction House is one, and?

LOL your kidding me right? You call the AH a benefit??!! Its a burden to the drop rates that are tied to the AH.

Be glad you wont have an AH....in fact rejoice. I hate the console platforms so I will not be getting D3 for PS3/4
Edited by Beemer#1147 on 6/12/2013 6:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 07:25 PMPosted by JohnnyDingo

Yep. Several, in fact, if I'm reading things correctly.
  • Better drop rates
  • Offline play
  • No Auction Houses

I'd love to be contradicted since I'll be sticking with the PC version (already sunk ~$600 into that version of the game in the form of a CE for me, a regular copy for the wife, and a new computer for her to play it on) but I'm kinda doubting it.
Reply Quote

Better drop rates
Offline play
No Auction Houses

Okay so here we go! I will answer within the format:

-Better drop rates = according to your profile you cannot clear at higher MP's so your observation only carries so much weight.

-Offline play = Blizzard has indicated for years why there is no Offline play.

-No Auction House = Don't use it then.
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 06:22 PMPosted by Grimiku
This was something I was, personally, very curious about, and genuinely surprised when I discovered how easy precise skill execution is with the controller. A lot of the skills in the console version were specially tuned for controller support, and skills will automatically center on whatever monster you have targeted, or fire off in the direction your hero is facing if you don’t have a monster targeted. On that note, you can hold L2 (PS3) or Left Trigger (Xbox 360) to lock on to your target for those situations that you want to be able to freely maneuver while keeping your eye on the enemy.

Sounds great! Thank you very much for your reply!
Reply Quote
PC Version: You hold down Shift and you can stand stationary and fire off all the range attacks [or Monk: Hand of reach] that you want.

Con: My pinky finger that holds down this shift button while using Forseight was not designed to do this. My finger has a pain that I find easy to push through at first----but after a couple of hours I have to stop and ask myself questions in the mirror.

Pro: Beer. Nobody cares about pink+holding-shift-all-day soreness. King Cobra is $1.19 and I'm confident I can make that in a day on the RMAH while clearing MP10. Unfortunately the process seems against me.

I switched shift with alt and made drops enable/disable constant titles. Usually hold alt with the thumb and use all 4 fingers at top, enabling the hand to be in relax mode for my drink. My right wrist seems to take the most damage though.

It could be nice to make a trigger/2 button as shift enabling the right knob to move fast with an aoe radius for the spell. This could make spell targeting precise and fast without limiting the ability to freely dodge.
Reply Quote

Better drop rates
Offline play
No Auction Houses

Okay so here we go! I will answer within the format:

-Better drop rates = according to your profile you cannot clear at higher MP's so your observation only carries so much weight.

-Offline play = Blizzard has indicated for years why there is no Offline play.

-No Auction House = Don't use it then.

Will only comment on the Better drop rates... it's a fact unless the PC gets the itemization patch before Console launch, consoles WILL have better drops...

Devs have said their will be fewer drops but better quality on the console, because the inventory screen isn't as easy to use with a controller...
Reply Quote
06/12/2013 02:21 AMPosted by BrownTown

>< protip, bind stationary attack to space bar, I gave up shift like 6 years ago
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]