Diablo® III

Bnet-account hacked despite authenticator

Support Forum Agent
LaserFists,

The OP is already in discussion with our European Billing Department as he should be as they were the ones that locked the account. I'm unable to read the tickets as they're all in German but from what I've observed, I see no sign of a compromise having taken place.

In any case, this forum is not the appropriate place to be talking about account issues, regardless of the region they're located in.

LaserFists,

The OP is already in discussion with our European Billing Department as he should be as they were the ones that locked the account. I'm unable to read the tickets as they're all in German but from what I've observed, I see no sign of a compromise having taken place.

In any case, this forum is not the appropriate place to be talking about account issues, regardless of the region they're located in.

This is information that customers would want to know and I know Blizzard cares about their customers. These are variable facts (chat logs yo):

• A player using a physical authenticator was locked out of his account by an admin because the admin said his account had been comprised so deeply his secret question had been changed.

• An admin said the account would only be unlocked if he sent in browser history, hijack this scan lines, etc.

• On his support ticket he got 3 different answers from 3 different admisn told him his account had been comprimised.

And what is up with all the people rudely dismissing the OP without knowing anything about what happened? It's always the user's fault is pretty poor reasoning. Absolutes like that are almost always stupid and become really funny when things like the PS network hacking or Mat Honan's brutal hacking happen. There is a chance it is not his fault because he downlaoded something shady so stop making assumptions and ganging up on the OP. Why are people so eager to rudely dismiss stuff like this without knowing the whole story? It's ok, Blizzard won't ban you if you don't defend them on their forums. What is really sad about people like you is that you go unmoderated and you kill any chance of reasonable discourse occurring on this forum.
Reply Quote
And what is up with all the people rudely dismissing the OP without knowing anything about what happened? It's always the user's fault is pretty poor reasoning. Absolutes like that are almost always stupid and become really funny when things like the PS network hacking or Mat Honan's brutal hacking happen. There is a chance it is not his fault because he downlaoded something shady so stop making assumptions and ganging up on the OP. Why are people so eager to rudely dismiss stuff like this without knowing the whole story? It's ok, Blizzard won't ban you if you don't defend them on their forums. What is really sad about people like you is that you go unmoderated and you kill any chance of reasonable discourse occurring on this forum.

I would say that what has happened here with the OP whether or not he is telling the truth does not matter, is something that has happened. And will keep happening in all online games. Anytime someone that is compromised comes and talks about being hacked. The victim will always be blamed. The reason is simple, it is not because everyone hates the victim. It is because statistics have shown that the majority of the time someone is hacked. It is the victims fault in some way. Players are just responding to statistics and what is common for a case like this. It is not a personal attack in anyway.

It is also not defending the company either, it is just saying what is common. It is real easy for anyone to always blame the gaming company and not the victim. Heck if all hacks were the fault of the company. Then it would be impossible for any player to do any wrong at all. He could even be watching !@#$ most of the day. He could have the weakest passwords in the world (i.e. password 1,2,3, or 111111). Not everyone was born an internet guru.

I will now use a real world game by a real company. One of the games that I did play at launch was Trion World's Rift. During the first month around the third week there was a ton of players saying that they were hacked. The symptoms of the hacks were similar for the majority. They were picked clean, their character was left naked standing by a mailbox.

Immediately the responses were all the same, the victim was watching %^-* and downloaded a keylogger, had weak passwords, etc... What made it worse at first was everyone that was posting about their account being hacked was claiming to be an internet guru. Ones that are good at internet security. Even I was a little suspicious about that, how is it possible that everyone that posted about their account hack possibly be an internet guru.

Then when the shear number outweighed the normal number of hacked accounts most online games get within the first few months a witch hunt began. I too tried to help by saying that bugs could be causing it. No doubt Trion World even looked for bugs just to see if I and others that were saying about the same thing concerning bugs was true or not.

During that witch hunt Rift fan sites were being blamed. Heck they even blamed Trion World, saying that they leaked the information to hackers so they could get a cut of the money made from the hacks.

It wasn't until a white hat hacker's account got hacked that the real culprit was caught. He found out that it was due to a security loophole that allowed players to log into your account without using your account information. When he reported it to Trion World, the company had a fix ready and implemented it within two hours after he reported it.

So don't go blaming those that respond when they know what happens in the majority of cases like this one as far as account compromises goes. And do not always point the finger of blame at the gaming company either.
Reply Quote
You make a good point that this is not worth talking about because it has happened before and nothing will come of it but something happened in this thread to make this different. We have one tech support employee saying there are no signs of a compromise occurring but the OP was locked out of his account and told by several admins he had been compromised. I think users would want to know if the OP erroneously get locked out of his account because it could happen to others. Please note I never said that this is what I know happened or anything like that.

What you are doing is endorsing crap like binary thinking despite knowing better from your experience with Rifts.

And it stops become merely saying something common when people keep needlessly keep repeating it is his fault and even repeat the same basic security advice. I was amused when one guy repeating this advice didn't even know battle.net 2.0 passwords where not case sensitive because I know the OP does.

So don't go blaming those that respond when they know what happens in the majority of cases like this one as far as account compromises goes.

Sorry, I am not going to stop blaming people for their own poor reasoning.

And do not always point the finger of blame at the gaming company either.

What? Either you made a grammatical error or you think I actually blamed the company somewhere. Do you think that because I am open to the possibility the op was not at fault I am blaming blizzard? Wanting people to remain open to the possibility that the user is not at fault is NOT the same thing as assigning blame.
Reply Quote
Funny thing about account security. If you have a dedicated email address, and a clean PC, you will never get hacked.

This only starts happening when people use the same email for other sites, have malware on their PC, or they log in from an insecure location.

I have had ONE incident time in all my years of being with bnet... when I made the mistake of logging on from my cousins PC. Account was "hacked" within 15 minutes.

Everything was restored, a new email used JUST for bnet, with a unique password. That event was several years ago, and I have not had an issue since. Not one.

Account security is YOUR problem (YOU being anyone and everyone reading this), not Blizzard's.

99% of the time, the security failure is due to the pebkac virus.
Edited by MastaSquidge#1873 on 6/15/2013 4:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Getting hacked sux...
Reply Quote
[quote]
PROTIP: If you download something shady, that is your own fault. Whether you knew it or not.

You are responsible for your own system's security.

So, one of three possibilities, in order of liklihood:

1: User made a mistake and knew it.
2: User made a mistake and didn't know it.
3: Blizzard was haxxored.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
06/15/2013 04:55 PMPosted by Salsasweats
Getting hacked sux...

The odd thing here is that Omrakos looked at the account logs. He can see all the IP address access info and all the actions on the account. So if he says there was no evidence of a compromise then, that means it appears all things are normal. No strange IP access and no strange account activity.

So, if the OP was not compromised why he claim he was? Usually people do that for a roll back (item dupe), or to try to get out of account actions due to botting, etc. Was the OP doing that? No proof that he was, no proof he was not. Sadly Omrakos can't read German and disclosing the contents of private tickets is not allowed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]