Diablo® III

Self-found league

Achievements would be great. My only question is what happens after you get the achievement and then trade with that character.

You see I have no problem with some achievement or flag for a self-found character... but 99% of the self-found claimers with great gear are full of it.

You would need to start a new character and then that character must rise through the levels and get the achievements, however if you then trade after you get the achievement..maybe you loose them and have to start over(but only if you trade with that particular character).

You can call the achievement "McGuyver" - "You have mastered foraging, you make use of the elements and the environment to craft your own gear."

The idea is the same as with Hardcore. You play through the game and get the achievement, so you get your badge of honor. Then after that you can still change your mind and say, hey I'm gonna buy some gems from AH because they are just a pain in the a$$ to get SF. You won't lose the achievement, you already earned your badge.

What could be done is that you do lose the profile tag however. So the player has the choice about what he wants to do with the character rather than being locked in a ruleset.

For some people reaching lvl 60 by doing SF is enough recognition. For some people plvl 100 SF might be what they're striving for.

Some people might want to get the badge of honor and then not lose it when they do decide to trade.

The problem I have with the whole SF thing is that there are too many opinions what a SF mode should be.

What we need is a flexible system to give as much people as possible what they want, without having an impact on other players or game mechanics.
Reply Quote

What's hard to grasp is why it's suddenly so important that it needs any recognition. The PC version of D3 being an online game with an AH, doesn't change a thing.

Why are there achievements? Why are the majority of them "Defeat boss while standing on your left leg and holding a barbell in your right hand."?

In those games in the past you mention that had self-found or were developed around it and similar concepts, guess what? If they were based on scoring your accomplishments at the 'end' of the game, self-found, iron-man, all those things- increased your score. Since there is no "score" in Diablo, it's done via achievements and the like.

There are additional achievements for being hardcore. Why not self-found? Why not for SC players who don't die? Why not for people who never fail mechanics?

It's still Diablo. It's still heavily reliant on RNG. I played D2 offline. I played the Playstation version.

You're asking for the wrong solutions, because you're ignoring or don't understand the real problems.

Nobody is saying it's a problem except a few of the ones against it. It's simply a request for an extension to track a longstanding, legitimate method of playing that doesn't impugn nor interfere with anybody else.

I'd still love for itemization to be fixed. That affects everybody. I'd still love for changes to chat systems, new game modes (since the current "Quest" style is not only deficient as far as questing goes, lacking a real reward system and being poor for what it does offer, but being really restricting to those who wish to farm), in addition to countless other things. That's neither here nor there though.
Reply Quote
NO need for a silly badge that says "i'm self found!"

Just the ability to check a box and participate with other like minded players is what i want.
Reply Quote
I like the idea of not using the AH for buying items...after all that is the core of what D1 and D2 were built upon. Just give players the option when creating a new toon to have an "Unshared" stash and disable AH buying with that toon.
Reply Quote
I would like the option of playing on two additional game modes, on separate servers, within each region.

Additional server/mode #1 (single player with option to group):
- no RMAH
- no gold AH
- player to player trading is disabled
- partying is fully enabled
- 3x the current stash size

Additional server/mode #2 (single player, option to group, trade, but no RMAH):
- no RMAH
- gold AH enabled
- player to player trading is enabled
- partying is fully enabled
- 3x the current stash size

Since each game mode is implemented on separate servers (in each region), we would have separate stashes, friend lists, achievement records, and character slots for each.

You might ask why go through all this trouble. Option #1 with in-game restrictions nullifies gold-spammers, allows for social interaction and partying. Say good bye to the diablo walmart spam. Human error is eliminated so a pure self-found character cannot become tainted through accidental pickup of someone else stuff dropped on the ground (on purpose) or through accidental trading. No chance of mixing gold from non-self found sources which could taint your pure self-found character projects.

Option #2 with in-game restrictions would duplicate the D3 Asia server environment (no RMAH). This would produce a more organic economy versus the artificially inflated real money gold rush economy that is on the live D3 US server. This reduces or eliminates incentive to turn an item grind + trading into a business venture... this is especially true for non-US players on the US server who are using real money exchange rates to make real money via D3. The real money gold rush business venturists harm the in-game economy with hyper inflation.

Remember the patch 1.0.8 RMAH gold dupe fiasco. No chance of that happening with option #1 or #2.

Lastly, I really enjoy the item hunt and crafting. The item hunt and crafting is what made D2-LoD awesome for me. The achievement system in the game is great, but there is nothing like saying I've progressed to point X in-game on my own steam/wits/efforts. Having an efficient economy and efficient trading methods are good things, but the current game setup detaches all sense of achievement from character progression. My ten character slots are full (5 level 60s and alts). I have no intention of deleting those characters. I can't separate the gold on my account from one or more self-found characters.

I started a self-found only project on the Asia server. However, due to excessive lag I've put that on hold.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 01:29 PMPosted by TheFunGun21
Give players recognition for self-found status. That is all

You one of those kids that got a trophy for last place? You need a feel good reward for everything you do? Just play self found, pat yourself on the back, why should blizzard? I have a separate account I use for self found, I don't want a special snowflake reward.
Reply Quote
yak-yak
blah-blah
poke!

to the top!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Nobody is saying it's a problem except a few of the ones against it. It's simply a request for an extension to track a longstanding, legitimate method of playing that doesn't impugn nor interfere with anybody else.

An achievement, or a banner reward or something, that's cool. But some people are getting carried away with this. "I want my own server with no AH and trades disabled and no vendors and I'm going to need 20 more slots in my stash and stash sharing needs to be disabled.."

I want better items added to the game, so I can find them myself, or I can get them from another player. How everyone else got their gear, I don't really give it any thought.
Reply Quote
Well, you separate normal from hardcore. Why not separate a character in that sense? So if you decide to check a box that says "Self Found" or whatever term you have that character will not be able to obtain loot from the Auction House or share loot with your other characters. Maybe you can only trade with other players while in game.

Hardcore characters are represented in red and maybe "self found" would be represented in brown or whatever color you decide.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Putting this into the hivemind thread of collected thoughts on the subject.

Self Found Region

Personally I play a self found ACCOUNT, as opposed to a single character. I use only what the game provides me via drops, crafting, or vendors. As a self found account my personal rules are:

-No GAH or RMAH on any character
-No trading
-Not sure I care about muti-player games, provided it is not for the sake of carrying a char. A game with equal level friends seems fine for my personal rules seeing as loot is specific to each char.
-Items I find on my account can be used by any char on my account. That is why we have a stash
-Vendors are fine seeing as stats are just as random as the drops we get and are level appropriate. Not like you get godly gear from vendors. It just fills in gaps in drops. Finding something useable on a vendor works for me.
-Crafting is fine provided it is all from recipes and mats I learned/found myself. Stats there are as random as drops as well. I see it as a way to recycle the crappy drops I got, much like gambling in D2. If I make it from my own mats on my own account, I can use it.

tl;dr - I play my account they way I played D2 - no trading and no AH of any kind

I would not mind a Self-Found Region/Server. I play that way anyway, and don't really need a separate server to do it, but see why others would want it.

If they implemented that I would suggest the following:
- trading be disabled between chars in multi-player games (sorry multi-boxers)
- disable the ability to drop items/gold to the ground in multi-player games
- multi-player game limited to +/- 5 levels of each other to prevent carries
- increase stash size so we can store leveling gear sets for various classes as well as uniques/good rares and crafting mats like gems. Needing to save and craft gems from the bottom up takes space!
- increase drop rate to account for the lack of AH and trading
- a few achievements or a FoS for finishing Hell on that region for recognition
- Consider a ladder here! You can’t buy your way to the top. FoS for ladder status per season.

That would make it impossible to "cheat" the self-found concept by getting items from friends, getting carried, or buying from third party sites. Bonus all the hacker gold sellers would be out of luck.
Reply Quote
I think we are on the right track! If properly enforced, it isn't separating the community but adding a new way to play together, with everyone knowing that everyone else is legit.
Reply Quote
/Thumb tack!
Reply Quote
I don't understand what the big deal is about all this self-found business. All it really boils down to is an offline single-player option we've been wanting since before release.

That, in and of itself, would be self-found mode because if there was an offline single-player option available (as God intended), everything you'd find would be self-found.

The ideas the devs are really flirting with are the ones that have the words "single-player concept" stamped on them without committing to or, much less, acknowledging the possibility of a legitimate single-player option on the PC. They're basically saying: "Gee willickers! It sure would be interesting to play a mode where you only used what you were able to find on your own. *Wink wink*"

I mean really, wtf-- And no, I wont be buying a !@#$ing filthy, inferior console (read: PS3) in order to play D3 offline.

On a somewhat related note (one which i'm sure to get a few sarcastic "boohoos" and "worlds smallest violin fiddling"): I personally miss playing hardcore single-player in a Diablo game. I've died 3 times to d/c'ing on HC in D3 (I d/c'd so hard one time the game doesn't even know what killed me). I wont be playing HC again unless it's a single player option. I refuse to sink literal days into something that can be taken away from me because a random d/c. I'm fine with dying to my own mistakes, but not to my connection.
Edited by Typhonicus#1967 on 6/19/2013 12:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't understand what the big deal is about all this self-found business. All it really boils down to is an offline single-player option we've been wanting since before release.

That, in and of itself, would be self-found mode because if there was an offline single-player option available (as God intended), everything you'd find would be self-found.

This comes up occasionally and I remember reading this a year ago. If you have an offline mode then some people will get cheats, hacks, bots, trainers, etc. This would totally undermine gameplay when those people decide to play in public games.

Unfortunately, I know that people will hack the consoles ...
Reply Quote

This comes up occasionally and I remember reading this a year ago. If you have an offline mode then some people will get cheats, hacks, bots, trainers, etc. This would totally undermine gameplay when those people decide to play in public games.

Unfortunately, I know that people will hack the consoles ...

That's bull!@#$. Some people already use cheats, hacks, bots, and trainers in D3 right now because the safeguards that supposedly prevent hackers from hacking (remember, D3 was built from the ground up to prevent cheating-- supposedly "sacrificing" the single-player option in its wake) don't %^-*ing work.

And I don't think you understand what I mean by "offline". By "offline," I mean: no connection to battle.net whatsoever. No ability to play the offline character online. No AH, No RMAH, No multiplayer. Completely offline-- no connection needed.

I'm sure the devs will continue to play coy and pretend to not understand what I mean by "offline" even with that definition.
Edited by Typhonicus#1967 on 6/19/2013 12:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
06/19/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Typhonicus

I think you are mixing two different things. While there certainly is a desire for offline mode, what most here are talking about is a desire to play together in a non-AH/trade environment. They want multi-player, they want achievements, they want a ladder. Those things all require being online. What they don't want is the AH or trading. Or, at least that is how I would summarize the majority of those who want "self found".
Reply Quote
@Typhonicus,

Quote "That's bull!@#$. Some people already use cheats, hacks, bots, and trainers in D3 right now, because the safeguards that supposedly prevent a single-player D3 don't %^-*ing work." unquote.

Respectfully, the difference is if people use these items in an online setting and get caught, they get get a permanent ban; wouldn't be possible with an off-line mode.

Quote "And I don't think you understand what I mean by "offline". By "offline," I mean: no connection to battle.net whatsoever. No ability to play the offline character online. No AH, No RMAH, No multiplayer. Completely offline-- no connection needed." unquote.

I fully understand. You may not realize that characters and items are stored on the server so that players can't get at them and modify them. If one had an offline mode then the item database would be on their computer and open to corruption.
Reply Quote
06/19/2013 12:46 PMPosted by MissCheetah

I think you are mixing two different things. While there certainly is a desire for offline mode, what most here are talking about is a desire to play together in a non-AH/trade environment. They want multi-player, they want achievements, they want a ladder. Those things all require being online. What they don't want is the AH or trading. Or, at least that is how I would summarize the majority of those who want "self found".

I respectfully disagree. Bare-bones, "self-found" mode is just single-player concepts slapped into a multi-player play-space. If the devs go through with something like self-found mode, I'd honestly see it as a slap in the face to everyone who has ever wanted an offline single-player option.

It's fine if people want to play together-- I, generally, don't. Many others don't as well. If people truly wanted the 'self-found' experience, they'd campaign for an offline option on the PC.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't just want one or the other to happen. I would like to see both an offline option for the PC AND a self-found mode. However, I honestly see self-found mode without offline as a slap in the face-- Especially since the PS3 version has one built-in at release.
Reply Quote

Respectfully, the difference is if people use these items in an online setting and get caught, they get get a permanent ban; wouldn't be possible with an off-line mode.

Huh? I'm going to repeat this just in case: By "offline," I mean: no connection to battle.net whatsoever. No ability to play the offline character online. No AH, No RMAH, No multiplayer. Completely offline-- no connection needed.

I fully understand. You may not realize that characters and items are stored on the server so that players can't get at them and modify them. If one had an offline mode then the item database would be on their computer and open to corruption.

I know where characters and items are stored. So !@#$ing what if the code is open to corruption? They're fine with putting their item database in an offline PS3 version. How hard is it to just make different code for single-player offline on the PC (since they've supposedly already done it for the PS3) or to just pull a Bethesda (read: Skyrim) and take the code from the PS3 version and graft it to the would-be offline PC version so players still can't easily hack the servers? They're obviously comfortable with the PS3 version being offline.
Edited by Typhonicus#1967 on 6/19/2013 1:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]