Diablo® III

Self-found league

@SirRight:

Typhonicus is absolutely right in calling BS on the premise that we can't have off-line only mode because cheats/hacks/etc. The only real reason for no off-line only mode is the RMAH money grab. See my quote below (quoted from --> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8728323766?page=3#60):

@DeadRu
We have botters, cheaters, exploiters, hackers, dupers, and gold spammers in D3 and Blizz even screws up their own product through patching. There are pirated hacked together D3 servers. They may be complete, but they exist.

Put up a $10k cash reward for a fully hacked together D3 server that is an 85% functional replica of patch 1.0.8 and multiple hacked together replica servers would be available within 6 months to 1 calendar year.

Blizzard has already failed at keeping the game secure and closing loop holes. Maybe you need more reminders like:
- god mode archon (takes no damage) bug
- monk ability producing extra loot on monster death bug
- crafting dupes that lasted beyond more than 1 patch cycle
- current item dupes that still persist
- 24/7 botting that is going on right now
- multibox botting 24/7 right now in MP10

Yeah I'm going to just say your point was invalid.

As MissCheetah summarized most self found types want multiplayer, achievements, etc. Off-line mode types would prefer LAN for multiplayer in a private setting (not console gaming). I belong to both parties self-found online and off-line mode. Blizzard will not provide off-line mode with or without LAN.
Edited by BossDogg#1898 on 6/19/2013 1:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Typhonicus,

Your offline only mode may appeal to some. OP wants a League so he intends to play with others that you know are legit.

Your second point is valid. I would normally respond that by putting out the games files could give hackers an advantage in trying to hack the online game, but it's a moot point since (as I've previously stated) that the consoles will most likely be hacked anyway.

Sorry OP, back to your original intent for this thread.

Edit: @Bossdog, saw your post after my posting. Agree.
Edited by SirRight#1618 on 6/19/2013 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok just a side note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxOwlkp7JLU

Now back to the original topic
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
06/19/2013 12:58 PMPosted by Typhonicus
Now don't get me wrong. I don't just want one or the other to happen. I would like to see both an offline option for the PC AND a self-found mode. However, I honestly see self-found mode without offline as a slap in the face-- Especially since the PS3 version has one built-in at release.

I will agree with this. Players want both! This thread is not about offline mode though so I think it best not to derail it. There are many many other threads about offline mode :) I am sure Bliz knows what players want in offline already and, if they wanted, could implement it. The OP was discussing the pros, cons, and features of an AH/trade free online environment.

Back on topic - something mentioned in one of the threads that I thought was important, is the idea of taking development time and spending it on self-found features. Good point. How can it be done with minimal effort so as not to impact development of other hoped for features?

-Create separate region: They already have the technology for that
-Remove AH - they already have the technology for that (see Asia)
-Remove trading window - they already do this with starter accounts
-Remove ability to pick up dropped items - they already do this with starter accounts
-Increase drop rates - they did this with the Anniversary buff, so I am sure they can figure out how to tweak it per region, or give players on one region a buff.
- +/- 5 levels of each other in multi-player games: This will take some development effort, but should be minimal (not that I know the code...just guessing based on what coding knowledge I have)
-New Achievements - this would take some more development time to implement
-Ladder system - this would also take some significant development time design and to implement. Players want that anyway though for regular mode so it is worth developing and applying to both.

tl;dr I think the self-found region could be implemented, with the basics players want, without too huge a development effort. Ladder might be a added feature at a later time if that would be too time intensive, but is worth developing based on player demands.
Edited by MissCheetah#1661 on 6/19/2013 1:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
During the patch 1.0.8 gold dupe fiasco. Player to player trading of gold was disabled. Gold was essentially account bound. They already have the ability to enable/disable the trade window without a server reboot. The already have the ability to enable/disable both auction houses without a server reboot. With the above in mind I suspect the server admins can enable/disable many other things in game without a reboot.

Blizzard could bring self-found servers online right now if they wanted to. The server admins could turn the live D3 servers into a semi or fully self found environment right now as well.
Reply Quote
[quote="93077144632"]Back on topic - something mentioned in one of the threads that I thought was important, is the idea of taking development time and spending it on self-found features. Good point. How can it be done with minimal effort so as not to impact development of other hoped for features?

;You knew I would bite :)

Almost all the things that we are proposing are easily accomplished by terminating the jump subroutines that are used, i.e. You try to drop an item on the ground but you can't because the JSR is terminated with a RTS (Return from subroutine). I don't know the programming language used but you get the gist.

There would basically be a check: If self-found mode is being played then return, otherwise carry out action.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
06/19/2013 02:03 PMPosted by SirRight
[quote]
Back on topic - something mentioned in one of the threads that I thought was important, is the idea of taking development time and spending it on self-found features. Good point. How can it be done with minimal effort so as not to impact development of other hoped for features?

;You knew I would bite :)

Almost all the things that we are proposing are easily accomplished by terminating the jump subroutines that are used, i.e. You try to drop an item on the ground but you can't because the JSR is terminated with a RTS (Return from subroutine). I don't know the programming language used but you get the gist.

There would basically be a check: If self-found mode is being played then return, otherwise carry out action.

Hey! I don't bite!

That said, I agree, most of the technology is in place to do what players want right now. I still support a self-found Region though, as opposed to a per character "mode" within the current system. That enables use of self-found items from the stash on other chars while ensuring they don't come from the AH or AH-twinks. Those who want to impose stricter personal rules on themselves, could do so under that umbrella. A separate region ensures no AH for any char there.
Reply Quote
according to my calculations,

I have 1600+ hours and got 4 mempo (none with cc, all melted into bs). To see a CC mempo, I need like 50!

getting any CC mempo takes 10 years of gameplay...
getting any 6% CC mempo takes 70 years of gameplay...
getting any right stat 6% CC mempo takes 210 years of gameplay...

AH/RMAH is full of duped such items... this is really not fun...

I don't want to spend any $$$ to get one of those... I want to play self found game, and I want drop rates at least 10X better... I don't want to collect bs (I have 500 already from leg/set drops) I dont want to feel like a garbage collector.

Buying from AH/RMAH is not really fun for me, I want my drops godly sometime, but 210 years is i guess a bit too much :)

Really... thats what you think self-found is about.... making drops easier for you to get BIS items? ROFL!! I bet if you ask the majority of people who want self-found... they want the same thing you just said... but then you have everyone talking about how we need self-found because it's "more fulfilling"... this community is pathetic.
Reply Quote
06/19/2013 02:14 PMPosted by HainKurt
I am serious :) all those benefit from current state of the game, and we all suffer... gold is dead, ah is dead, long live RMAH now... drops suck, you know it... godly items are in RMAH, duped or printed in Blizzard warehouse, not in game...

Can I borrow one of your tin-foil hats?
Reply Quote
I'm curious (I do not approve this SF league)...

If Self Found gets implemented, we are getting this:.

SC - Not Self found
SC - Self found

HC - Not Self found
HC - Self found

Are "Ladders" out of the equation with self found? I mean, how long until those "purist" comes back and say how unfair it is that they are behind (because they stopped playing) and that we should add a ladder for them?

SC - Not Self found - NL
SC - Self found - NL
HC - Ladder - Self found - Ladder

HC - Not Self found - NL
HC - Self found - NL
HC - Ladder - Self found

If you don't want to play with people who used the AH, how about we just implement groups similar to Starcraft 2? If you want to play self found, play with like-minded people. Blizzard could add an "individual gold" option for each character as an option that can be checked and unchecked. They could even add a "check-box" for "Self Found". If you check it (can be unchecked any time), you will not be able to use gears that have not be self found by other self found characters.

Why is this better than a separate league? Because if you find a nice loot, but you can't use it (yet, in SF), you can just send it to your shared Stash and give it to one of your other characters. You can even sell your loots if you want to.

In short:
=> When creating a characters, you have the option to "check" self found. It's the only time you can check it.
=> When checked, you will not be able to use non-self found gear. Your gold is your own, separated from the others.
=> If you find good loots, you can send it to your Shared Stash. Every characters can use self found loots, but self found characters can only use self found gear. You can sell those loots on the GAH or RMAH if you want to, but they will become "not-self found".
=> Any characters you own can use self found loots and it will retain the self found logo as long as you own it.
=> At any time, you can uncheck the self-found box. It is irreversible though. Much like salvage, you will have to re-confirm your intentions.
=> You can play with non-self found players. If you are a true purist, you can join groups of self found players and play with them instead.

We now have a "more organized" self found mode, but people can still play together. If you want to self found, but do not care about playing with others that are not self found, you can. If you want to play with self found players only, you now have a way to do it. Items you find in self-found can be used by not-self found. Self found characters can give up their status at any time.

I proposed this idea, but I don't really like it either. It's "okay" as long as you people don't get any exclusives because you chose a different playstyle. If you cripple yourself, you shouldn't be rewarded "more" for doing it.
Edited by DoomBringer#1994 on 6/19/2013 2:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
in SF mode, I want to be able to trade my items in AH/RMAH, or at least transfer them to non-SF character so they can sue/sell/trade... or a shared stash between SF & non SF characters...

Yeah, for sure, most definitely, a must!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]