Diablo® III

Self-found league

Maybe it doesn't even have to be in the game. If recognition is what self-found players are after, How about a small tag on each item in the character profile website indicating if each item is "Self Found" similar to "Account Bound".
Edited by DomonKassui#1611 on 6/14/2013 6:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Self-found Iron-man style: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6412492777

I play self-found and have never bought anything from either AH nor trade for items. I also play solo. Okay, I do pass items I find to other heroes except for my hardcore heroes.

To me there is always an easy way and a hard way to play a game or go through life. I guess I like the hard, less traveled path; I feel I've actually earned the items I've found.

Sure, buy your way to the top....you only take away from the challenge of the game that way.

+1 to OP.

Just to add another option see below

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6490399005

Also I like this idea of self found but for the life of me and after reading all these posts there just does not seem that there is anyway to make this possible and keep everyone happy?. Play the game the way you like who cares how everyone else plays get over it.

I mean I would love to be able to play the game with self found but I also like the idea of the AH so I can sell something I don't need for something I do need. The big problem is being able to buy game gold!!! If there is anyway you can think of that can achieve this while still allowing trade then let us know because the only option I can see is maybe this one.

- You may only trade items for items not gold (so you better have a good trade)
- Gold is only used @ a vendor and for crafting (all crafted items can be traded)

Another option I thought of if you still want this dumb idea of being able to trade gold and buy gold similar to DomonKassui is to mark any items that have been traded or bought from the AH with (Traded Item) when viewing a profile. Here lies the other problem people will just then trade by dropping it on the ground! this really is hard to get a solution for I think unless u take buying and trading gold out of the picture.

My thoughts cheers NeK
Edited by NeK#1206 on 6/14/2013 7:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
self found is OK in a game that is made for self found. This game isnt. I find it perverted that blizzard would support this. But to each his own. Maybe you should play to pick only every 10th drop. That would be even more badass! Yeah!
Edited by Dragan#1945 on 6/14/2013 7:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
IMO having an option to turn off AH/RMAH use mode would be like when you choose hardcore mode.
seperate server and no AH/RMAH, and could make several ppl who play that way happy, you could even allow that tha accumulated gold from pickup be applied to gold balance, but only spent on vendor , crafting cost of that mode.
personally i prefer being geared up a bit easier, its the social interaction that i enjoy playing with others. but sadly seems ppl have either clicked up with real life friends, small circle of ppl they play with, or play alone.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 01:29 PMPosted by TheFunGun21
Give players recognition for self-found status. That is all

I don think that is necessary. Self-found will get very boring easily and people will stop playing it very quickly.

The game itself is super boring. Even playing hardcore i am starting to feel it's boring.

But if you really want self-found. i would suggest no AH no tradeing.no crafting no NPC item And you cannot pick up item from any player that drop it. 100% Self-Found that's what it means.
Reply Quote
It is definitely difficult to define self-found. For my HC DH I sell things in the AH but did not buy a thing there. I was given some flawless square in my previous dead DH which i use now. I also have some leftover weapons and armour from then. Do I consider self-found? In my definition, yes i do but it might not be so to others.
Reply Quote
Self-found Iron-man style: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6412492777

I play self-found and have never bought anything from either AH nor trade for items. I also play solo. Okay, I do pass items I find to other heroes except for my hardcore heroes.

To me there is always an easy way and a hard way to play a game or go through life. I guess I like the hard, less traveled path; I feel I've actually earned the items I've found.

Sure, buy your way to the top....you only take away from the challenge of the game that way.

+1 to OP.

Just to add another option see below

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6490399005

Also I like this idea of self found but for the life of me and after reading all these posts there just does not seem that there is anyway to make this possible and keep everyone happy?. Play the game the way you like who cares how everyone else plays get over it.

I mean I would love to be able to play the game with self found but I also like the idea of the AH so I can sell something I don't need for something I do need. The big problem is being able to buy game gold!!! If there is anyway you can think of that can achieve this while still allowing trade then let us know because the only option I can see is maybe this one.

- You may only trade items for items not gold (so you better have a good trade)
- Gold is only used @ a vendor and for crafting (all crafted items can be traded)

Another option I thought of if you still want this dumb idea of being able to trade gold and buy gold similar to DomonKassui is to mark any items that have been traded or bought from the AH with (Traded Item) when viewing a profile. Here lies the other problem people will just then trade by dropping it on the ground! this really is hard to get a solution for I think unless u take buying and trading gold out of the picture.

My thoughts cheers NeK

Well driving down the street and realised another problem that this will just then turn the gold farmers into item farmers although this may not be viable or cost effective for them with the way the RNG stands atm?! But if this was introduced with the console version of drop rates then this maybe viable so then you have the same old story it never ends.

We humans just want to win and will pay to get there stuff this its doing my head in just play the game you like lol
Edited by NeK#1206 on 6/14/2013 7:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 03:19 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
This idea is just as reasonable as a RMAH league.

Laf...so is the RMAH "the bad guys" and "self found league" the good guys? Every great story must have a villain so I'm only asking here :)
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 06:53 PMPosted by DomonKassui
Maybe it doesn't even have to be in the game. If recognition is what self-found players are after, How about a small tag on each item in the character profile website indicating if each item is "Self Found" similar to "Account Bound".

How about they get a cookie, or a free MP10 UBER carry? :snicker:...just couldn't resist...they want recognition...just daym it's a game folks...no medals here...only loot, (bad too) PL and HC deaths.
Reply Quote
I would like to see something that designates someone as being all self found because so many people bend the rules or flat out lie about it.
Reply Quote
is self found mode a style, or a restriction you put on yourself to find some sort of enjoyment out of this game?
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 07:37 PMPosted by RaveaAngel
It is definitely difficult to define self-found. For my HC DH I sell things in the AH but did not buy a thing there. I was given some flawless square in my previous dead DH which i use now. I also have some leftover weapons and armour from then. Do I consider self-found? In my definition, yes i do but it might not be so to others.

you're not self found
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 07:47 PMPosted by atsbill123

you're not self found

I see, what is your definition then? I am referring to HC DH and not my SC one.
Reply Quote
I'll throw another idea into the mix:

A mode of gameplay where there is no AH access and items which drop (from enemies or chests / breakables) become Bind on Multiple Account - meaning BoA to everyone who is currently in the game. Of course, it will only appear in one person's loot roll initially, but it can then be traded to anyone who was in the game when it dropped...

Advantages:
1) You can share your finds with the people who helped you find it in the first place.
2) Creates a more stable economy - people can't use third-party sites to trade items
3) No bots offering to sell you gold or items

Disadvantages:
1) It would be hard to keep track of which item is bound to whom - esp. in pub games.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 07:47 PMPosted by Infamous
is self found mode a style, or a restriction you put on yourself to find some sort of enjoyment out of this game?

You ask a very good question. I think for those who started playing SF at launch, you could call it a play style or "way of life" or whatever. For those who are coming from the AH and sort of dipping their toes into it, I think it's an attempt to reintroduce challenge into the game - to experiment a bit with something new.

Right now the main questions surrounding SF play are A) what is self-found anyway (since we can't all agree on any one definition), B) if the developers eventually add a form of recognition or a gameplay mode (or whatever), how will they define it, C) if itemization improvements mostly fix the endgame for SF players, will there even be a need for a self-found mode or system of recognition, and finally D) if so, what form will this recognition or gameplay mode actually take.

We can't really answer any of those questions until Travis and Wyatt see what effect their planned itemization changes will have on the game.

One of their goals (aside from making it fun to find items) is to encourage people not to use the AH. Wyatt said the ballpark more or less for him is for people to have no more than 2-3 items from the AH. There are several ways to achieve this goal - for example, Travis and Wyatt mentioned the possibility of adding ladders to the game. They could also add in more crafting recipes similar to the 1.0.8 and HF ring recipes. Recognition for self-founders could be considered a part of this list.

I think a full-on SF gameplay mode is only likely if the other options fail. They have to think about the whole community and dividing the PC game community into four (SC, HC, SF SC, SF HC) would take a lot of work on Blizz's part, especially given the influx of players later this fall coming from the console games.

A flag for self-found play is much more likely as a solution - and could easily be done alongside the other ideas for discouraging AH use. However, as noted in issues B and D above, the conditions for getting this "flag" and the form it takes are still up in the air.

EDIT: It's worth noting that Diablo 2 neither had nor needed a self-found mode. It was just fun to play self-found. I think the devs have realized this and are hoping itemization solves the problem. That still leaves a flag for self-founders open - but would make a gameplay mode even more unlikely.
Edited by Waterfiend#1909 on 6/14/2013 8:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 03:26 PMPosted by Buckles
90% of people who say their self found are full of crap. They either used the AH at some point, traded with somebody, used gold they bought or were just given something from a friend. There's no way you can fully gear a character with high end stuff that all dropped for you. As we all know 99.9% of everything that drops is total crap. and 99.9% of the good stuff that drops is either pretty crappy or something that your class/build can't really use.

No, 99.9% of everything that drops is total crap COMPARED to the skorn you bought for 10k gold as oon as you hit 60.

And you don't have to fully gear a character with "high end stuff" to play the game, and I doubt that many self-proclaimed selffound players have such gear.

I play self found, my gear is most likely terrible from an AH/RMAH player's perspective, but my WD/monk/wiz can beat the game easily in MP5, my DH in MP6, and my barb in MP7.

Yes, 99.9% of the drops are crappy. Conveniently, you find 10's of thousands of drops, so you find some good ones.
And about the "it's not for your class"... TBH, I believe that most self found players ( like myself ) play all classes.
First, because it's fun, and then, to fix that 'drops for the wrong class' problem.
Reply Quote
Self found on all my champs... don't play public , hate it because you never know who you can end up with, My WD as 120 k dps , my Barb and Monk both have around 100 K, saddens me to See people using AH having more then 4 times my dps but oh well ill stick to MP3 , still can enjoy it every now and then.
Reply Quote
I'd love a self found mode personally.

Positives;
  • Increases the longevity and replayability of the game
  • It would create an exciting culture and healthy competition
  • Completely optional so people are not forced to play self-found if they don't want

• Negatives;
  • Creates a tier of divide within the community
  • Would require time and resources to implement and maintain

• The whole idea runs parallel to the concept of Hardcore as a culture within the game. Just like self-found is self-imposed at the moment, Hardcore could be too, i.e; a player deletes their character on their first death in Softcore. It's endorsement is about creating a legitimized landscape to accommodate that culture and let it thrive within the community.

By no means a necessary feature, but by all means an amazingly fun feature.
    Edited by DamienJohn#1321 on 6/14/2013 9:00 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    06/14/2013 07:37 PMPosted by RaveaAngel

I am more or less in the same boat. While I consider myself to be self-found, I have sold decent items I haven't got the room for on the AH (but given the best finds to friends). All the items I have were either drops, or dropped by a friend while playing (I was neurotic about not accepting AH goods, haha).

Although I must admit. I have bought about 200 Tomes of Jewelcrafting off the AH. I feel that it is exactly how the AH should be used, a handy convenience for commodities rather than a crutch or necessity.

And as far as the question of why play self-found? Obviously challenge is essential. To say "well why not just make the game even harder for no reason if that is the point", is a bit extreme, though. Your gameplay style can take a 180 degree turn with the discovery of an unexpected stat combo and that's just plain fun.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]