Diablo® III

new Macbook Air

Has anyone tried D3 on the new Haswell Mabook Air?
I'll likely be getting a new laptop in the next few months, and just want a little feedback.
Thanks
Reply Quote
in for benchmarks
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
it's not for gaming. don't get it if you intend to play diablo 3 on it. the cpu is just too slow. gpu is weaker than 650nvidia options of retina models by a long shot still.

a user on wow forums got one of these new airs and said he had to run wow on LOW just to stay above 30fps in some spots. that his retina 13 inch macbook pro simply far superior. the clock rate on the cpu is the huge factor for the air since diablo 3 and wow are very cpu driven games (such as LFR on wow, or dozens of monsters on screen in Diablo 3, this is all very cpu heavy and you are more than 1ghz slower on an air vs a macbook pro)
Reply Quote
it has turbo to 2.6 ghz..

the stock clock is set for prolonged battery life

at 1440x900 i would think this is finally the gen where games can be played ok

turn down some settings (which you wouldnt really notice at this resolution) and you should be ok

i want to get rid of my desktop for a laptop..and the only game i play is d3.....

in for real benchmarks at mp1+ inferno fields of misery with 4 players in game
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
@MysticalOS

I can not believe this, that he had to run World of Warcraft Low with a Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.6Ghz with the 11inch standard Model, and even the i7 core has the Hyper Threading feature, which enables 2 more virtual cores. And don't underestimate the power of the Intel HD5000. Which is 40% faster than the IntelHD4000.

I still would wait a few more days, and wait till actual benchmarks are released.

Best regards,
Nezan
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
it has turbo to 2.6 ghz..

the stock clock is set for prolonged battery life

at 1440x900 i would think this is finally the gen where games can be played ok

turn down some settings (which you wouldnt really notice at this resolution) and you should be ok

i want to get rid of my desktop for a laptop..and the only game i play is d3.....

in for real benchmarks at mp1+ inferno fields of misery with 4 players in game

Turbo only works in that mode if the CPU is able to shut off its additional cores. That is how it maintains viability without burning out the machine from overheating. It's part of the SpeedStep specification. And because WoW uses two cores on multi-core CPUs, it would still be bottlenecked because it is then locked to a single core. The CPUs in the MBAs are dual core, and thus when Turbo kicks in, that second core is shut down. You'd actually see worse performance under Turbo on a single core than you would under regular speed with two cores.

These machines just aren't made for games. They're meant for general purpose computing. They aren't even powerful enough to play Blu-Ray movies back properly in either OS X or Windows. That pitiful 1.6 Ghz i5 and 1.7 Ghz i7 just aren't up to the task of being a gaming machine or media hub.

@MysticalOS

I can not believe this, that he had to run World of Warcraft Low with a Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.6Ghz with the 11inch standard Model, and even the i7 core has the Hyper Threading feature, which enables 2 more virtual cores. And don't underestimate the power of the Intel HD5000. Which is 40% faster than the IntelHD4000.

I still would wait a few more days, and wait till actual benchmarks are released.

Best regards,
Nezan

The HD5000 is an improvement yes, but WoW and D3 are not GPU bound, they're CPU bound. That means that you could have an nVidia 680 GTX inside the machine, but if your CPU was either one of the CPUs available for the MBA, you'd get worse performance than I would ever see on my seven year old Mac Pro 1,1 with Radeon 5870 and 2x 2.66 GHz Xeon 5150 CPUs. My GPU is older than that of the MBA by far, but my CPU is more powerful than it is even though it's seven years old.

Haswell improves a lot, but it cannot overcome CPU dependent games such as D3 and WoW. You should avoid these MBAs like the plague if you want to game.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Anyway, with the MacBook Air i7 Core and the HD5000, you will run World of Warcraft on Low with decent FPS in all areas. I have a Mac Mini with a HD4000 and a 2,3Ghz i7 Mobile, and I get really well FPS around 30-50 with Good Settings in all areas.

And it doesn't matter if WoW is known as CPU bound. A better graphic card still helps a lot, and that what the HD5000 will bring. Trust me, with the 13" Resolution and Low Settings, you will be more than perfect. I can test it by myself, and I play on FullHD 1920x1080 in Windows Mode.

Best regards
Nezan
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
right, with "Low" setting. and this is casual play too. they'll choke up in 25 player raids. unless you think raiding at 20fps is acceptable. there are benchmarks for these already, they're pitiful. barely better than 2012 model, and that model sucks too. the computer is only as good as weakest link. Think of it as a sports car with flat fires vs a bus with flat tires. they are both going to still be slow because of the tires despite the power of the engine. the GPU will improve the processing of scenery when not near any monsters or players or npcs true. But diablo 3 for example isn't about exploring scenery it's about charging into hordes of monsters that will choke up the cpu. "playable" though is a definition that differs from player to player though. So maybe 15-20fps is your fancy. to me, anything under 40-50fps feels sluggish and not as responsive and i hate it. It is important to make that distinction though. also "playable on low" isn't necessarily playable to some either. Some people like to be able to see further into distance, or turn on advanced shadows so they can see overhead enemies BEFORE they land via the shadows (something not easily done with blob shadows)
Reply Quote
@MysticalOS

I wish this harsh rhetoric was expressed long ago. Also want more 'Blue' posters making a presence, but what customer doesn't.
Reply Quote
19 Human Paladin
The new MacBook Air has WOW benchmarks at 27 FPS on max settings.
I watched a video if it playing d3 (on low settings) at a stable 30 FPS

Playable yes
Will it look its best and still be playable no.

So if you don't mind missing some of the games pretty graphics it can be used.
Reply Quote
06/13/2013 11:37 PMPosted by MysticalOS
on it. the cpu is just too slow. gpu is weaker than 650nvidia options of retina models by a long
Reply Quote
I played diablo3 for half year by my macbook air (i5,HD5000), it's very nice, I can even open the mid or high quality
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]