Diablo® III

iMac 11/ 2012

I'm planing to buy the lattes iMac and I was hoping to run Diablo 3 with the following configuration :
2.9GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512MB GDDR5
It will Work? or witch iMac will run smoothly Diablo 3?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I've heard fusion drives are overrated, but not used one myself. A tech podcast I listen to suggests just going with an SSD, but I see no SSD option for the iMac... odd. Just optical, fusion, or flash. Flash is probably best, but it's more expensive and less space.

That config has more GHz and RAM than what I have (Mac Mini with 2.5GHz i5 with 8GB RAM). Mine runs D3 fairly well, but does have some lag spots... multiplayer games are sometimes really bad, so I end up playing solo mostly. When 10.6 support drops, we may see an improvement in gameplay.

That said, from what I've seen around on the forums, people recommend going with the i7 if possible.

I'd also not recommend maxing out your RAM through Apple. I suggest first checking crucial.com for pricing. It's the same RAM Apple uses & I've been buying from them for each of my Macs, without any problems. Usually a bit cheaper buying from there, rather than direct from Apple.

So... yes, that setup will work. I'd go with an i7 if you can though and see about ordering RAM from crucial, instead of maxing out from Apple.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

I'd also not recommend maxing out your RAM through Apple. I suggest first checking crucial.com for pricing. It's the same RAM Apple uses & I've been buying from them for each of my Macs, without any problems. Usually a bit cheaper buying from there, rather than direct from Apple.

So... yes, that setup will work. I'd go with an i7 if you can though and see about ordering RAM from crucial, instead of maxing out from Apple.

The memory on the 21.5" iMac is not user accessible (e.g. the Macbook Air).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
06/22/2013 04:50 AMPosted by Mercadez
The memory on the 21.5" iMac is not user accessible (e.g. the Macbook Air).

I wasn't aware of that. After Google searching, I have found a video guide on doing it, but they do recommend someone who knows what they are doing to preform the RAM upgrade for you. It's a risky process.

Since that is the case, I'd either fully upgrade the RAM from Apple or just go for the 27" iMac, which can be upgraded by the user.
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 03:29 PMPosted by Cruciarius
I see no SSD option for the iMac... odd. Just optical, fusion, or flash

What Apple calls "Flash" is, in fact, SSD. Just their own form-factor, based on (in iMac's case) Samsung 830 series controller.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]