Diablo® III

It's official, these guys can't design items.

I really hope that this thread doesn't get deleted. I understand the title is very negative, but I'm really frustrated by what appears to be absolutely terrible item design...again. I really hope these are place holder stats (I'm sure the required levels are...). All of these are on the front page as well. Can Blizzard confirm these are all placeholder items? Are you really going to release this game on console with these kind of items? If you guys care about this game at all, keep this thread bumped. This is absolutely ridiculous if these items are real
https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/SQLCCK8HWI7A1370913433460.jpg
https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/TMA07IB61FS51370913433146.jpg
https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/FPTP37XICSMB1370913432975.jpg
https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/GRHCAZPVN5V51370913433427.jpg
https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/XDRRFAYCXDPY1370913433388.jpg
Reply Quote
Diablo 3, where every items are STAT STICKS.....
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/11/2013 03:33 PMPosted by Nishi
Can Blizzard confirm these are all placeholder items? Are you really going to release this game on console with these kind of items?

These are the real items. And, yes, we are really going to release the console version of the game with those items available. :)

They're not intended to be game-changing items by any means. They're just some fun bonuses you can get by pre-ordering or by purchasing Diablo III for the PS3. We fully expect that some players will upgrade from those items quite quickly, while others may use them more regularly or for longer periods of time -- either because of their looks or their stats (obviously that will depend on the player and what kind of build/playstyle they're going for).

Edit: I just realized...in case you don't know where these items are from, be sure to check out this article: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10174614/
Edited by Lylirra on 6/11/2013 4:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote

They're not intended to be game-changing items by any means. They're just some fun bonuses you can get by pre-ordering or by purchasing Diablo III for the PS3. We fully expect that some players will upgrade from those items quite quickly, while others may use them more regularly or for longer periods of time -- either because of their looks or their stats (obviously that will depend on the player and what kind of build/playstyle they're going for).

Any particular reason why they're lvl 57 items as opposed to early game items? The way it is, it seems players will really only use these items for 3 lvls max then trade em out for drastically more useful gear.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the response. Are the level requirements correct as well? That just doesn't seem right at all. I understand that these items would serve a purpose if some sort of transmog feature were implemented, but these stats just don't make sense at all for the level requirement. Nobody would even bother to equip them other than to see how they look. If this is the kind of item design that we can expect in the itemization update, then you guys are going to disappoint a lot of people. Health globe and potions +10 for a level 57 required item, surely everyone can see the problem with that? The items don't have to be game changing, is it asking too much for them to have stats that one would expect for a near max level item. I'm just very confused by all of this.
Reply Quote
Those items would be too weak at level TEN, let alone FIFTY-SEVEN. Except the ring. It's ok.
Edited by Lylirra on 6/11/2013 4:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 03:56 PMPosted by Nishi
Thanks for the response. Are the level requirements correct as well? That just doesn't seem right at all. I understand that these items would serve a purpose if some sort of transmog feature were implemented, but these stats just don't make sense at all for the level requirement. Nobody would even bother to equip them other than to see how they look. If this is the kind of item design that we can expect in the itemization update, then you guys are going to disappoint a lot of people. Health globe and potions +10 for a level 57 required item, surely everyone can see the problem with that? The items don't have to be game changing, is it asking too much for them to have stats that one would expect for a near max level item. I'm just very confused by all of this.

What do you think?
Of course they are for real. The only really great wepaons in the game now are the result of a bug that Blizzard decided not to correct.
Reply Quote
Another prime example of the mistakes they are making in D3 concerning items. These items are PATHETICALLY WEAK. I mean, really really weak. To not be able to wear them until you're almost 60 is just downright smack in the face.
Reply Quote
Those items would be too weak at level TEN, let alone FIFTY-SEVEN. Except the ring. It's ok.
This is what I'm talking about. It doesn't make sense at all. I can understand if these new items aren't designed to be on level with whatever itemization changes Blizzard has planned, but the introduction of these items could've served as a chance for Blizzard to show us that they've learned how to make legendaries useful. When I look at these items I just think to myself "the designers don't recognize which stats are desirable". It just feels like they picked random stats for items that are supposed to be legendary. We're not asking for the items to be game-breaking, or for them to be useful throughout the entire leveling experience, just that the items are useful. These items are legendary and you don't even bother to use up the max amount of affixes for them?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/11/2013 03:52 PMPosted by Megalomathew
Any particular reason why they're lvl 57 items as opposed to early game items?

Triple-checking with console developers now on the intended ilvl for each of the items. (Give me a few to get back to you?)
Reply Quote
Triple-checking with console developers now on the intended ilvl for each of the items. (Give me a few to get back to you?)
Ty for this :) I can almost guarantee that the required levels are placeholder or just simply aren't correct. These items seem more suited for level 1 characters than 57. It would make sense that you would want people to enjoy these items right away as well, rather than waiting for lvl 57 only to never use them.
Reply Quote
if the console version has MP levels, how on earth those items any good? And they suppose to be legendary items??

I seriously hope that's not with the itemization patch?! Is this what we're all waiting for on the pc version??
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/11/2013 04:56 PMPosted by Krak
I seriously hope that's not with the itemization patch?! Is this what we're all waiting for on the pc version??

No no. Not at all. They're just bonus flavor items (and, like I noted above, I'm re-checking on the displayed ilvls). :)
Reply Quote
"Infernal Helm" – Wearable at level 1, the console-exclusive Infernal Helm in-game item confers a +EXP bonus to help you whip your new PlayStation® or Xbox characters into shape

taken from the front page where you get the info about pre order items

the only one that says different is Leah's ring

"Leah's Ring" – A Legendary ring, originally given to Leah by Deckard Cain, that's usable at level 60 and provides bonuses to Magic Find, Gold Find, movement speed, and defenses

I assume they are all level 1, items except that
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/11/2013 04:34 PMPosted by Nishi
Ty for this :) I can almost guarantee that the required levels are placeholder or just simply aren't correct. These items seem more suited for level 1 characters than 57. It would make sense that you would want people to enjoy these items right away as well, rather than waiting for lvl 57 only to never use them.

Alright, looks like the tooltips are incorrect on most of the items, which I originally missed in your post as the thing you were calling out. (I'm going to request that we get new shots taken.)

Infernal Helm - Required level: n/a
The Hero's Journey, Leroric's Gauntlets, and Drake's Amulet - Required level: 1
Leah's Ring - Required level: 60

*updated required levels
Edited by Lylirra on 6/12/2013 12:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, at lv1 and lv8 those items will be fine, you can afford wearing cosmetic items at low levels without much trouble. However I'm not sure if the experience bonus on the helm is good for the game. The first-time player should rather experience what the game has to offer to the fullest, not rush through it at a 25% faster rate. Of course you can say that people can choose not to wear that helm, but it will feel unpleasant to miss opportunities it offers, especially since that's the special reward for making a pre-order. I think it would be better if this helm gave experience bonus only to the characters that play at the difficulty the player has already cleared on one of his nephalems. Levelling multiple characters becomes easier, but it doesn't take away from the initial experience of the game.
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 03:48 PMPosted by Lylirra
Can Blizzard confirm these are all placeholder items? Are you really going to release this game on console with these kind of items?

These are the real items. And, yes, we are really going to release the console version of the game with those items available. :)

We fully expect that some players will upgrade from those items quite quickly, while others may use them more regularly or for longer periods of time -- either because of their looks or their stats (obviously that will depend on the player and what kind of build/playstyle they're going for).

Could you make a list of all the builds that players will create around these sick items with 2 life regen per second?
Reply Quote
06/11/2013 05:36 PMPosted by Lylirra

Alright, looks like the tooltips are incorrect on most of the items, which I originally missed in your post as the thing you were calling out. (I'm going to request that we get new shots taken.)

Infernal Helm - Required level: 8
The Hero's Journey, Leroric's Gauntlets, and Drake's Amulet - Required level: 1
Leah's Ring - Required level: 60
Thanks for the update. Those level requirements are much more reasonable, however, I'd still like to point out that the stats still feel very underwhelming. Yes I understand that they're flavor items, and they're not meant to be game-breaking or to last forever. I'm only saying this because I worry that these items are a sign of what's to come (in the itemization update).

My problem with these items is very simple, they have the exact same problem that many current legendary items have. I'll use Drake's amulet as an example, but this pretty much applies to all of those items. The problem with this item is that it will be replaced by the first blue amulet that drops with primary stat. All 4 of the stats on Drake's amulet aren't noticeable to the player. 10% MF/GF will not be noticed, ignore durability will not be noticed, and the additional pick up radius is a bit low as well. Yes it's a level 1 item, but it is a legendary, and that should mean something even for flavor items.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for an item like this to be useful up to around level 15-20, but as things are right now, it would probably be replaced by 7-10. The stats on the item make sense, they go with the theme of Drake being someone who hunts for treasure and all that. The item could use a boost in the stats that it currently has, as well as using up the remaining affixes that went unused. Drake is dexterous so having +dexterity on the item wouldn't seem out of place. As for the last stat, maybe something like movement speed would make sense. If the item were redesigned it might look like this:
Drake's Amulet:
+ 25 Dexterity
+ 8% movement speed
+ Magic find 30%
+ Gold Find 40%
+ Pickup Radius +5
+ Ignore Durability

Now the affects of this item are noticeable, and although the item has +dexterity, that's still a useful stat for everyone early on. The item isn't so powerful that the player never wants to replace it either. I don't expect these items to change, but it would be nice if you could pass on what I'm trying to say. When designing items, the developers should ask themselves "are the affects of this legendary noticeable?", "will this legendary be replaced too easily?", or "is this legendary lacking key desirable stats?". I feel like there's a lot more I can say (and have said in previous posts) about how legendary items should be, but for now I feel like these basic things would go a long ways towards improving current and future legendaries.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]