Diablo® III

It's official, these guys can't design items.

So legendaries post-itemization will still be stat-sticks w/ the occasional attached useless gimmick here and there? Peachy.
Reply Quote
Hey there everyone!

I just wanted to jump in to let you know what we've spent some time re-evaluating these items and have updated the Diablo III Console Preorder Bonuses and Exclusives blog with some corrected tooltips.

The required levels on these items are now as follows:

"Infernal Helm," "The Hero's Journey," "Drake's Amulet," and "Leah's Ring" - Required level: 1
"Leoric's Gauntlets" - Required level: 30

Hi!

They totally fit the topic of this thread.

Bye!

*EDIT: if I were the devs, I would design it like these:

Inferno Helm:
Fire damage taken reduced by 50%
Cold damage taken +100%
Two Open Sockets.

The Hero's Journey:
+12% movement speed
-25% experience gain
+10 experience gain

Drake's Amulet
-50% Extra Gold from Monsters
+50% Better Chance of Finding Magical Items

Leah's Ring
Attack Speed increased by 12%
Critical Hit Chance increased by -5%
+50 vit
Life regeneration -50 per second.

Leoric's Gauntlets
Attack Speed increased by -20%
Critical Hit Chance increased by -20%
Critical Hit Damage increased by 120%

How's that?
Edited by MisterAjikko#1937 on 6/25/2013 7:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I feel like crying.
Is there any point in having this exclusive gears at all?

Firstly, it can't be shown to your friend in battle.net because of the offline mode, hence, the only time to 'show off' is when your friend came over your place and play with you in the same console.

Secondly, it indeed doesn't aide much in anything, just gimmicky at best giving unique affix in which other gears couldn't have, but at the expense of not have primary stats, which is required in ALL parts at all levels.

Thirdly, they are barely visible to anyone on screen except when player open up character inventory to see its icon. In game graphic, only the shoulder and scarf are more tangible. Tell me if Leah's Ring is eye catching.

Last but not least, the skeletons might behave like Litany set, which summon skeletons for mere seconds, can't take hits, neither can it dish any reasonable damage.

Even if the intention is not to make these dependable, it should at least fill a role somehow. Imagine selling a bottle of mineral water, and give a exclusive latex banding at the bottleneck.
@@ What's the point of it exactly?
Reply Quote
Still not going to buy.

Desperate for sales you are.
Reply Quote
Still not going to buy.

Desperate for sales you are.

After looking at these items Blizzard definitely isn't desperate for sales. If they were the items wouldn't be so lack luster & basically just boring, even for ilvl 1 items.

This is exactly what PC D3 players have been complaining about for over a year now.
Reply Quote
Hey there everyone!

I just wanted to jump in to let you know what we've spent some time re-evaluating these items and have updated the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10174614/new-diablo%C2%AE-iii-console-preorder-bonuses-and-exclusives-6-11-2013"]Diablo III Console Preorder Bonuses and Exclusives blog[/url] with some corrected tooltips.

• [url="https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/SQLCCK8HWI7A1370913433460.jpg"]"Infernal Helm,"[/url] [url="https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/TMA07IB61FS51370913433146.jpg"]"The Hero's Journey,"[/url] [url="https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/FPTP37XICSMB1370913432975.jpg"]"Drake's Amulet,"[/url] and [url="https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/XDRRFAYCXDPY1370913433388.jpg"]"Leah's Ring"[/url] - Required level: 1
  • [url="https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/GRHCAZPVN5V51370913433427.jpg"]"Leoric's Gauntlets"[/url] - Required level: 30

• lol
    Reply Quote
    Hey there everyone!

I just wanted to jump in to let you know what we've spent some time re-evaluating these items and have updated the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10174614/new-diablo%C2%AE-iii-console-preorder-bonuses-and-exclusives-6-11-2013"]Diablo III Console Preorder Bonuses and Exclusives blog[/url] with some corrected tooltips.

• [url="https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/SQLCCK8HWI7A1370913433460.jpg"]"Infernal Helm,"[/url] [url="https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/TMA07IB61FS51370913433146.jpg"]"The Hero's Journey,"[/url] [url="https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/FPTP37XICSMB1370913432975.jpg"]"Drake's Amulet,"[/url] and [url="https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/XDRRFAYCXDPY1370913433388.jpg"]"Leah's Ring"[/url] - Required level: 1
  • [url="https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/GRHCAZPVN5V51370913433427.jpg"]"Leoric's Gauntlets"[/url] - Required level: 30

• Will Console versions have a Game guide like the one for PC on battle.net?
    Reply Quote
    First people cry because "Console gets OP gear!"

Then people cry "Console gear isn't OP enough! Why buy?!"

It's not about OPness. It's just some helpful gear for new people to help them along the way until they can replace it.

Those gloves, though, are actually pretty awesome. I'm curious about the ability on them, but even just considering the stats they're still really good. Without an auction house to buy items, those gloves will be useful to many people even at level 60 considering they have two high value parts of the trifecta and a good amount of vitality.

In order to make them useful to people at any level without being OP at early levels, I suggest giving them abilities with effectiveness that is based on your hero level or stats.
    Edited by TLIoInferno#1551 on 6/26/2013 7:44 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    I am now realy afraid of the Itemization patch
    Reply Quote
    - Diablo III (Hardcore)
    View profile
    Wow, Leah's Ring isn't even recognizable as the same item (stats-wise.)

This wasn't just a change in "tool-tips."

Could a blue please confirm that a major error hasn't been made in the image we're seeing now for Leah's Ring? We've gone quite a long way from a 48 All-res, 93 Vit, 5% Runspeed beauty, (plus other nice stats) to this dismal crapper with 10 Vit, 5% IAS and some MF.

How did this happen, anyway? Blizzard used to be more careful than this. :(
    Reply Quote
    So legendaries post-itemization will still be stat-sticks w/ the occasional attached useless gimmick here and there? Peachy.
    You guys need to understand that changes to console items aren't the same as the "itemization patch" we're getting. You shouldn't look at these items and say "wow, items are still just stat sticks". These items are designed with the same restrictions we currently have, which for the most part, means that all items are going to be stat sticks. These items aren't giving us a glimpse into the kind of changes we'll see with the big itemization patch, but rather the overall quality of item design. By that I mean that if these items aren't well designed by current itemization standards, then that means the designers aren't doing a good job, and that will likely be reflected in the bigger itemization patch.

These updated items are an improvement, but I still think there are a few issues with them (I'll do another post on that later). That said, I think it shows that maybe Blizzard listened about some of the complaints people have made about these items. Still, I think more needs to be done.

Could a blue please confirm that a major error hasn't been made in the image we're seeing now for Leah's Ring? We've gone quite a long way from a 48 All-res, 93 Vit, 5% Runspeed beauty, (plus other nice stats) to this dismal crapper with 10 Vit, 5% IAS and some MF.

How did this happen, anyway? Blizzard used to be more careful than this. :(
    Obviously they wanted to make it a lower level item. It wasn't really all that good for a level 60 item anyways.
    Reply Quote
    those are godly for lvl 1 - why are you guys already judging? they're freakin lowbie items meant for BONUS on CONSOLE. It's about as far away from what itemization will be as it can be.
    Reply Quote
    Yeah I have to admit the old Leah's ring was a beaut. I was going to say, I could accept all the other crap for that ring and the red wings...

But then, why would/should Blizzard give out free Legendary items that will be actually useful??? When has an in-game item reward for pre-ordering been godly? You should be happy they are giving this and not some double side poster or some stupid camo for my gun (ahem... GTA V, Black Ops II... ahem).

Guys, this is a pre-order incentive. Basically they are giving you a little token of thanks for solidifying your intentions to purchase the game before day 1. The day 1 purchasers will get nothing... what about them?

Rule of thumb: never give away anything game changing in a CE or pre-order. It breaks the game.

OMGWTFBBQ
    Reply Quote
    The changes I'm gonna suggest are based on current itemization mechanics (meaning affixes we already have in game). I'm not trying to suggest how any of these items, or any item should be for the big itemization patch. So don't look at these suggestions and think that "omg! those are just stat sticks, they're still boring!!". I'm all for having more interesting and game changing legendaries, but with the current pool of affixes, that's not really a possibility. Hopefully with the new patch we will eventually see some very interesting and creative items, but for now, I want to focus on how to improve the items we have right now, or are soon to have, with current affixes/itemization.

To start with, let's look at the new Leah's Ring.
    Legendary Ring - Level 1
    + 10 Vitality
    + Attack Speed Increased by 5%
    + 15% Better Chance at Finding Magical Items
    + Ignores Durability Loss

"Uncle Deckard gave me this ring before our first exploration of the ruins in the Festering Woods. He said that it would protect me, and for a time it did. I always intended to return it to him" - Leah's Journal.

What I like about the ring:

Since the flavor text reveals that the ring once belonged to Deckard Cain, I like to think of it as his ring more so than Leah's. With that in mind, I think some of the stats do a good job of representing that it was once Cain's. Magic find makes sense because of Cain's knowledge of all the various places and artifacts throughout sanctuary. Although Ignore Durability was put on all of these new items, I think it actually makes sense on this ring because if it once belonged to Deckard, and was then passed on to Leah, and then the player, clearly the ring has had its share of abuse. If it's still around then that must mean it's durable! The flavor text also has the part about being able to protect Leah, so I think any kind of defensive stat would make sense on the ring (in this case it was vitality, works for me).

How it can be improved:

I think that in almost every case, legendaries should use up the max amount of affixes on an item. Is it necessary to do so to create a good item? - not really. I just think it's better from a psychological stand point. More affixes make for a more interesting item in my opinion. For example, using current affixes, I'd rather have a legendary that gives Strength, average damage, Attack speed, Crit damage and Crit chance all at low to mid values rather than having one that gives only 2 of those stats, but at high value, giving the same benefit.

So with that in mind, what would I like to see added? +Intelligence and +Experience seem like good choices to represent that the ring once belonged to someone who was known for their wisdom. An updated Leah's Ring could look like this:
    Legendary Ring - Level 6
    + 20 Intelligence
    + 10 Vitality
    + Attack Speed Increased by 5%
    + 15% Better Chance at Finding Magical Items
    + Experience gained Increased by 5%
    + Ignores Durability Loss
    If you're looking at this and saying "that's still boring!" then you may have forgotten that I'm only suggesting changes that are possible with the pool of affixes we currently have. I think this item is an improvement over the current one, even if it's not by much. The idea is that these kind of changes should be easy to make. If there's anything I'd like for Blizzard to take away from my post, it's that I think it's a mistake not to use the maximum amount of affixes on a legendary item. Doing so gives you a chance to give an item a bit more personality, as well as to make it seem more legendary. I'll probably do another post like this for some of the other items, but for now I'll just stop here with this one item. So what do you guys think, could Leah's Ring use some improvement? Do you agree that legendary items should, in almost every case, use the max amount of affixes?
    Edited by Nishi#1809 on 6/27/2013 11:32 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    I think the (PS3) items look pretty sweet and are a nice incentive to preorder the game. I wasn't expecting uber items, but these will give you some cool bonuses (mostly gold find, magic find and bonus experience) to new players. Plus the Hero's Journey shoulder's and Red Wings look awesome.
    Reply Quote
    Why complain, OP? At least you are getting exclusive items for console. People who bought the real version of the game and have been playing it for over a year get the shaft. No nice items to help your new characters (although hardly anyone playing it on pc has new characters except for hc) and no new vanity items to distinguish ourselves from others. All the while, our CE items are given away for free to console noobs. Be grateful you are getting so many things in the first place...
    Edited by Scorch#1428 on 7/2/2013 7:01 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Why complain, OP? At least you are getting exclusive items for console.
    I'm not getting any exclusives because I have no intention of buying the console version. The reason I'm complaining is because I see these items as being poorly designed. If they're not getting better at designing items by now, I see that as a problem for the game as a whole. That's what I was complaining about.
    Reply Quote
    Good grief, some of you will whine about anything. I admit that the items didn't do much for me either when they were first revealed, but I think the updated versions after the 're-evaluation' are pretty nice, actually. It was definitely a wise choice to make the majority of these exclusive legenendaries be wearable at level 1, otherwise it doesn't feel like a 'reward' for getting this version of the game.

I'm not planning on buying the console version as I sold my PS3 over a year ago to a friend for 200 bucks since I was too busy to play much of anything and I needed the cash for rent. However, even though the console release of D3 isn't really of interest to me, being a PC-only gamer for the foreseeable future, I still don't see what all of the fuss is about; I'm referring to all of the negativity regarding the console versions. I must say, I kind of wish I still had that PS3 and had waited until Diablo III came out for consoles to buy it. Of course, being a Diablo fan from way back (1998, I believe), I could never have held out that long!
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]