Diablo® III

It's official, these guys can't design items.

Good grief, some of you will whine about anything.
This is such a dumb thing to say when the complaints being made are legitimate. As you can see, the items were changed. Maybe you're reading this thread as if it was made AFTER the new updated items, but it wasn't. It was made after the console items were just revealed. That being said, if someone decides to complain about the items as they are NOW, that's still a valid complaint.
I still don't see what all of the fuss is about; I'm referring to all of the negativity regarding the console versions.
Nobody is complaining about the game being released on console in this thread.
Reply Quote
Please tell me all of these items comes with 5 random stats as well and its just not written in the tool tips...
... yes omg this is so fkn leet hax my uber pwnage legendary has ... WTF NO STR OR VIT ! ! !

how many people are gonna seriously rage; fly to California, walk in to blizzard HQ packing heat and just let rip till everyone in there is Resting In Pieces!

just saying I've heard how postal these nerdy introverts get on vent and there probably last kinds of people I'd be wanting to piss off !
Reply Quote
These are easter egg/flavor items, they're not intended to be BiS..
Reply Quote
These are easter egg/flavor items, they're not intended to be BiS..
flavor items can still be poorly designed. Read the thread. (they changed them, so clearly Blizzard agreed with those of us who were asking for change).
Reply Quote
This stuff has been in development a while on console. I wouldn't assume these have anything to do with an upcoming itemization fix. Obviously they were designed under the original boring system.

I would bet they'd be longer-lived in the console system with no AH also...
Reply Quote
This is such a dumb thing to say when the complaints being made are legitimate. As you can see, the items were changed. Maybe you're reading this thread as if it was made AFTER the new updated items, but it wasn't. It was made after the console items were just revealed. That being said, if someone decides to complain about the items as they are NOW, that's still a valid complaint.

Again Nishi, your stubborness and insolence show you don't understand what bonus items are meant to do. Bonus items, add flavor to the game, not advantage. Bonus items should never provide any beneficial bonus for those who pre-order over those who did notr, instead they should be tokens of gratitude - kind of like the junk they give you at the end of a wedding or party.

Leah's Ring - Level req 1; 4 stats VS magic ring (lvl req 4)
from levels 1-10 you will not find rings that will be better than the bonus ring. Not until Skellie King even. However the ring does not have any stats that would give you a significant advantage over somebody who did not pre-order - eg. primary stats, crit chance, crit dmg.

Drakes Amulet - Level Req 1; 4 stats VS magic ammy (lvl req 4)
Same as Leah's ring.

Journey's End - Level Req 1; 4 stats VS magic shoulders (lvl req 10)
These probably can be used until you get better from Butcher (if you decide to farm him over and over or if you are lucky). But think of it this way, you won't get anything to use until minimum level 10 if you did not pre-order. Still they are not uber, so no advantage provided. Just nice to have the slot filled.

Leoric's Gauntlets - Level Req 30; 6 stat VS Pendergraps (lvl req 33)
These gloves have 50% crit dmg and 5% crit rate. They are not the best, but the fact that this glove is in your inventory from day 1 and is equippable at lvl 30 is quite awesome. Crappy Pendergrasps will not beat this, and you still have to level your BS to 6, and acquire the plan. Otherwise you are stuck with RNG farming level 30 rare gloves (which I believe can only go to 5 stats anyways). I agree these are not BiS but are technically are very cool (chance to summon a Skellie minion FTW). Again they meet the requirement, provide flavor, thanks for ordering, but for sure not better than something you might find down the road.

TL;DR each item seems in fact properly designed for what they are. They provide a flavor and coolness at the level you can equip them, and may provide some use for 5 levels or so. So, I completely disagree these items are poorly designed NOW (after changes - and contradictory to your belief that ppl still have a right to complain), and you seem to want something more than what you really deserve. (entitlement issues maybe?)
Edited by Velisael#1400 on 7/15/2013 7:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Priest
Yep I agree with OP you guys really do have no idea how to make items. Diablo 3 crashing and burning hard ever since release. Infernal Helm is a Joke by the way.
Reply Quote
Again Nishi, your stubborness and insolence show you don't understand what bonus items are meant to do.
I do. They can serve various purposes, but it's clear that these are intended to be fun flavor items as well as useful. That doesn't mean I'm asking for them to make them end game items or useful throughout the entire game.

Bonus items, add flavor to the game, not advantage. Bonus items should never provide any beneficial bonus for those who pre-order over those who did notr, instead they should be tokens of gratitude
You really don't know what you're talking about. These items do give an advantage, but it's a small enough advantage that nobody is going to care. The important thing is that it's temporary as well. These are leveling items that aren't going to be useful after a certain point.

Don't pretend that it's not Blizzard's intentions for these items to be useful either. They wouldn't have bothered putting a +experience bonus on the infernal helm if they didn't want people to use it, even if only for a bit.

So, I completely disagree these items are poorly designed NOW (after changes - and contradictory to your belief that ppl still have a right to complain), and you seem to want something more than what you really deserve. (entitlement issues maybe?)
You wouldn't know a properly designed item from one that isn't. Look at the items you use for your characters lol. As for me being entitled? I don't care how the console items turn out, as I'm not going to buy the game again. I just want to see the designers do a better job. And yes, these items could still be improved without it being considered too much of an advantage to those who pre-order or buy the Ps3 version. I like how you say these items are "in fact properly designed" right after they've changed them, as if there could be nothing else wrong with them. I've given reasons for why I think even some of the current items could be improved, and you act as if I say they are complete garbage. They started off that way, and there's still room for improvements in my opinion.
Reply Quote
@Nishi

I responded to you in terms of the bonus pre-order items. For pre-order items I feel that these are quite well designed. As for improvements, you haven't provided an alternative to these pre-order items that would maintain short usage life (again, these are not meant to be used for long periods of time because that would essentially say we favor the pre-orderers).

Now, if you are are talking about item design in general, yes, I have been reading on the PC forums and it is a problem. (I guess you have to wait for loot 2.0) But we don't have our console version, so we don't know how to respond, nor should we have to share your frustration. However we are not lashing out at Blizz (yet or if even) since we haven't even played our game. You bringing a PC debate or qualm or frustration to these forums does not reflect constructive behavior here. AND I am hoping moderators will clamp down on that, since there may be players who are reading these forums who have never experienced D3 on PC.

Item design flaws in general should be something brought up on these forums after the game is released since I am sure if there is anything wrong now, it's already on the disc.

PS: from all the console games I have pre-ordered; I have yet to find one where the pre-order digital bonus is a lasting item that gets use beyond a few levels. Even PC games (Rift, SWTOR, even WoW) don't have many "well designed" items that are beneficial to the player in the long run. I have seen other companies do worse than blizzard too (who uses the bonus BF3 or BFBC2 weapons from pre-order exclusively, or the weapon recipe in Dead Island).
Reply Quote
I guess Microsoft pissed Blizz off so they gave PS players more of an insentive to buy....othet wise there wld at least b an equal amount of stuff for both pre orders. No matter anyway cause my PC (laptop) blows and I can not wait till sept 3!!!! and cannot wait to ditch games like black ops 2....and other bs that has no originality!!!!! FPS games on console are killing me, however I like them but I also want diablo like games on my xbox!!! Torchlight is so fun on xbox. Thanks blizzard for keeping us console games in mind because, even though I reley enjoy diablo 3... hate point and click!!!!!!
Reply Quote
I responded to you in terms of the bonus pre-order items. For pre-order items I feel that these are quite well designed.
I think you might be confused with which items are pre-order items and which ones are PS3 exclusives. The ones I've been talking about are mostly the PS3 exclusives, as 3 out of the 4 pre-order items aren't stat items, they're the dyes and wings. The only item out of the pre-orders that I'd talk about is the infernal helm.

As for improvements, you haven't provided an alternative to these pre-order items that would maintain short usage life (again, these are not meant to be used for long periods of time because that would essentially say we favor the pre-orderers).
I've given examples on how I think the items could be improved without making them "long term" items. I'm not sure if you've read all of this thread but if you look back a few pages you can see where I've done just that. If the suggestions I made were going too far, then the numbers could've been toned down so that the item doesn't see more use than it's intended to. It's just small things that I think could improve the flavor of these items, like giving strength to leoric's gauntlets (makes sense considering how he fights).

You bringing a PC debate or qualm or frustration to these forums does not reflect constructive behavior here. AND I am hoping moderators will clamp down on that, since there may be players who are reading these forums who have never experienced D3 on PC.
My intentions when I started this thread was basically to say "these items are bad, that has me worried about future item design for PC". So I actually did want to discuss this in general discussion with PC players, but the mods actually moved my thread here.

What I'm trying to say though with these item suggestions is that there are lots of small changes that could be made to items to give them a better design, without making them overpowered. If you haven't, go back and read the suggestions I made on some of these items and see if it doesn't make even a bit of sense. If you don't think so, that's fine, but I'd love to know why because I can assure you the suggestions I'm making don't boil down to "make the item better because it's weak right now!!".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]