Diablo® III

Cosmetic Equipment Slot

This is stemming from what I posted in someone's thread about wasted art. There are some great looking low level legendaries out there. And even leveling up my current character, I don't find all the upgrades to be visually appealing. However, I'm forced to upgrade due to the need for the upgraded stats.

And even with the itemization patch that's supposed to allow current low level legendaries to roll at higher item levels, who's to say that the stats will correlate to the looks? Stats are more objective in a sense that you can see tangible benefits from equipping one item to the next depending on your build. However, cosmetics are more subjective.

So why not have a cosmetic item slot in which you have your primary slot for the equipment that you want the stats of while your character displays the look of the item in the cosmetic slot? I'm pretty sure I've seen this done in other games (though the names of any escape me at this hour) and it works pretty well.

The only caveat should be that the cosmetic weapon would have to match the weapon type of the equipped (ie no using a 2H cosmetic weapon while a 1H is equipped, sword should be paired with sword, mace with mace, bow with bow, etc).
Reply Quote
Bump. Posted this at a late hour but I think it's a valid idea worth discussing.
Reply Quote
i like the idea. i used the cosmetic item slots in terraria a lot when i played it, and seeing them in D3 would be a nice touch.
Reply Quote
06/12/2013 12:16 PMPosted by CulixCupric
i like the idea. i used the cosmetic item slots in terraria a lot when i played it, and seeing them in D3 would be a nice touch.

Same, Not that all legendary items are bad to look at, but revamping the character's looks is always cool
Reply Quote
Low level legionaries should be mind blowing good... and drop frequently...

I could never imagine leveling a character in d2 / d2lod and not finding some bad !@#$ set / unique... Even low level items that were incredibly "broken" but fun and people would use them until they needed significantly better defense.

Items like Iceblink, Sigons set, eye of elitch - These items were incredibly fun because of their over powered nature. As the grind up to level 60 doesn't happen often it is my assumption this act should be made fun as possible.

Maybe even a legendary item that can only be work until level 60, I don't know... but the low level legendaries are total trash. Out of everyone I've ever found I have never thrown one on a character I was leveling, and as a hardcore player, I level characters a lot more frequently than SC players)
Reply Quote
this needs to happen!
Reply Quote
If done correctly, it shouldn't clutter up the equipment interface. It doesn't affect stats, so there's nothing game breaking about it. It really is a purely cosmetic change. And considering there are technically invisible dyes, you can't even say that it would ruin immersion by having someone (visibly) in rags if they choose, destroying elite packs in seconds on MP10.
Reply Quote
I like this idea!! BUMP to the top!
Reply Quote
Thanks for the bump. Let's get this up again. Doesn't seem that there are too many people opposing the idea, though some critical feedback would be appreciated. Maybe a blue will see this and can pass it along through the appropriate channels.
Reply Quote
After searching the forums, I've realized that I'm not the first person calling for this idea. However, despite its mostly positive reception, the threads never seem to go anywhere. If you're all for this idea, let's hear it and get the attention of the blues!
Reply Quote
I'm all for this idea. Especially when you see hilariousness like this: http://s17.postimg.org/jlb25exbj/Untitled.jpg
Reply Quote
Yeah, invisible dye does very little to solve any real cosmetic issues. It's just a way of hiding a piece that you're otherwise ashamed to be wearing.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/12/2013 07:52 PMPosted by Doc
Maybe a blue will see this and can pass it along through the appropriate channels.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6679558168#7 ;)

Allowing players to visually customize their character's armor beyond just dyes is definitely something we want to do. Feel free to keep debating and discussing how you'd like such a feature implemented, though! For example: would you prefer cosmetic slots or a system like transmogrification in WoW, and why would you prefer one system over another? Etc.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Lylirra
Maybe a blue will see this and can pass it along through the appropriate channels.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6679558168#7 ;)

Allowing players to visually customize their character's armor beyond just dyes is definitely something we want to do. Feel free to keep debating and discussing how you'd like such a feature implemented, though! For example: would you prefer cosmetic slots or a system like transmogrification in WoW, and why would you prefer one system over another? Etc.

great, I would like to customize my D3 avatar - becouse its "beta-avatar" and i would like to play full version of forum games. Any info on that?
Reply Quote
I would prefer a form of transmogrification, because it seems that 2 different items in each slot - 1 for stats, 1 for looks - just seems kinda weird...but I would like the transmog to transform the entire item so that the look of it in the inventory matches the look it portrays on your in-game character.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 03:18 PMPosted by DVDA
so that the look of it in the inventory matches the look it portrays on your in-game character.

This would be a nice little polishing aspect. I agree!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
He wrote it 4 months ago ? U still want to hear why ? Just start working on something . I think players said what they want !

I'm not asking why, but rather what! It's something we want to do (and plan on doing), so the "why" is kind of moot. We know why you'd like to customize your appearance. :)

I was encouraging discussion more around how you'd like such a feature to work. That kind of feedback is great no matter where we might be in the development process.
Reply Quote
transmog, +1
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]