Diablo® III

Cosmetic Equipment Slot

06/14/2013 03:25 PMPosted by Lylirra
He wrote it 4 months ago ? U still want to hear why ? Just start working on something . I think players said what they want !

I'm not asking why, but rather what! It's something we want to do (and plan on doing), so the "why" is kind of moot. We know why you'd like to customize your appearance. :)

I was encouraging discussion more around how you'd like such a feature to work. That kind of feedback is great no matter where we might be in the development process.

Perhaps there should be dye to "downgrade" the quality of our gear (only visually). We might prefer a less heavily armored heroes :P That, and color dye.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Lylirra
would you prefer cosmetic slots or a system like transmogrification in WoW

I thought both systems worked in the same way, can anyone explain the transmogrification of Wow?

Anyhow, the basics are clear we need to be able to change the 3d model appeareance.. although I would love to have the control and variety that you guys put into the banner creation ( primary and secondary colors, shape variants, and even unlockable symbols).

Also I think model customization should only be enabled at max level, it would be an excellent reward for a paragon 100 to be able to do this. ( and trough specific achievements expand the customization choices, adding some worthy end game goals and content).

In example I always wanted to get my monk to have a pirate appeareance ( hence always shirtless haha), I would kill 10,000 elites just for an eyepatch. :P
Edited by Colt#2370 on 6/14/2013 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Seriously disappointing to see CMs replying to these types of threads

I dont mind, im a paragon 100 and customization would defenitively impact my game experience by a fair amount.

Being able to play with style and appearences, I find it very appealing after slaying thousands of elites looking all the same.
Edited by Colt#2370 on 6/14/2013 3:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi Lylirra,

Firstly, thanks for passing info along to the devs. I appreciate you checking out the forums as our advocates.

Secondly, I think an elegant solution would be simply having an "alternate" gear slot for each gear slot. Similar to the swap weapon function in D2. You simply put the item you want your gear to look like in the alternate slot.

This would solve being forced to keep an item you want to look like in your stash, taking up your valuable stash space, AND being forced to put in yet another item/person/something that allows you to perform the transmog. The downside would be if you wanted to use the same item for different characters, well you couldn't. Overall, I still feel this would be a perfectly acceptable solution, and I bet many players will agree (although I will not speak for anyone else - that's just an annoying practice).

Simple, easy, effective.

edit: "checking out" was "checkout out"
Edited by Vadamaar#1639 on 6/14/2013 4:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like mixing it up with paragon leveling. Maybe every 7 levels allow me to transmog a piece of gear. So I hit paragon level 7! I am now allowed to transmog my boots and at level 14 I can do my gloves etc. Or just give us a system like wow where I can collect gear and transmog my current gear. However, I don't think I should be forced to keep the gear that I transmogged in my inventory. For example, if I want to transmog my windforce to look like a level 7 bow I shouldn't have to keep the level 7 bow in my stash or inventory, would just be annoying to deal with, plus I have to worry about accidentally salvaging it or selling it.
Reply Quote
Swap between all of the types of armor? Yeah okay!

Without gold payment? No.
Reply Quote
Personally I would like it to be:

Take any item in the game => Turn it into dye => Use that dye on an armor/weapon of the same slot/type => 3D model now looks like that item
Reply Quote
Swap between all of the types of armor? Yeah okay!

Without gold payment? No.

Why is a gold payment important? It doesn't make the feature any more fun, and not everyone has a lot of gold.
Reply Quote
Personally I would like it to be:

Take any item in the game => Turn it into dye => Use that dye on an armor/weapon of the same slot/type => 3D model now looks like that item

That's actually a solid solution, but the thing it doesn't solve is being forced to keep an item in your stash.

Or, would you be able to still get ride of the item via trade/salvage/sell/etc?

And how would you turn it into a dye? Have an NPC for that?

edit: I misread. I didn't realize you meant actually turning the item itself into a dye - I thought you meant using the item to make a dye that looks like it. I'm not sure I like the idea of being forced to destroy an item you think looks cool, just to use its look. And what if you change your look in the future, but then want that old item's look back? On the plus side, it would help remove items from the economy to some small extent. I'm not sure that would be enough, though.
Edited by Vadamaar#1639 on 6/14/2013 3:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I love the idea of having vanity slots. It seems simple enough.

that way you don't need to make anything. I don't see a reason to go through a lot of trouble to use vanity items. I feel like if you found it or bought it, you should be able to use it,

so that means that there shouldn't be a restriction on what you can put in a vanity slot so long as it is the right slot fot he item, and your hero can use it.

it would be a shame if you had to use an axe for an axe, simply because there are a lot of cool looking items out there that might not share an item type that you are using. that could be debatable obviously, tho.

I feel like making a whole game system out of vanity items would be too much. I think the simpler the better! I really really like the idea of vanity slots. maybe it could be a page that slides behind your character page so that one doesn't get too garbled? i dunno...

Im excited for this.
Edited by Gabriel#1162 on 6/14/2013 4:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I actually came on today to post about this exact thing. Thanks for commenting, Lylirra! I don't agree with transmogrifying weapons. Armor pieces, though, I can see.

Maybe a blue will see this and can pass it along through the appropriate channels.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6679558168#7 ;)

Allowing players to visually customize their character's armor beyond just dyes is definitely something we want to do. Feel free to keep debating and discussing how you'd like such a feature implemented, though! For example: would you prefer cosmetic slots or a system like transmogrification in WoW, and why would you prefer one system over another? Etc.

I think cosmetic slots would be better. While it leaves more work for Blizzard (sorry!) it gives me some concerns:

My major concerns about "transmogrifying":

If you want to resell your gear.
It will be more confusing than when a player buys a Skorn only to find it is using the same artwork as The Butcher's Carver, or Inna's Vast Expanse as a Cloth Tunic.

They will make it Bind-to-Account.
So many items are binding in WoW it doesn't matter if you transmogrified one thing into something else. So if I take my best-in-slot item and transmogrify it, it will either become a confusing-looking item in the game or bind to account which is really dangerous. I say dangerous because it removes good items from the marketplace. Which raises the cost of good items for other players if I ever decide I no longer want to use that item or that character. Higher prices on the market place are not something ANY feature should be trying to achieve. Please do not mistake this as a gold sink.

The lower number of Bind to Account items we can have in this game, the better, I'd like to argue. Especially if you are taking them from the pool of items players can use. Or simply make it these items cannot be sold on the auction house because they have been transmogrified, but are at least tradeable between players. Please, no bind to account transmogrification.

Lore-Friendly?
The only way I see this being Lore Friendly is giving Shen something like a Horadric Cube (which he should have had instead of this gem crucible the whole time) and call it transmutation, not transmogrification.

If items lose their "transmogrification"/transmutation when they're placed back on the auction house. I would support this feature.

Overall, I support vanity/costume slots over the other feature, though it is (probably) more difficult to code for. Thank you again, Lylirra.
Edited by Uberfuchs#1641 on 6/14/2013 4:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 10:26 AMPosted by Bukizzle
I'm all for this idea. Especially when you see hilariousness like this: http://s17.postimg.org/jlb25exbj/Untitled.jpg

My god! This can not be unseen :|
Reply Quote
Transmog vendor in the town. Would look similar to the Jeweler's unsocket an item screen where you can drop your item in the box where there will be a drop down menu of the different styles/looks. Choose the one you like, pay 1mill gold or a brimstone or something and hit the transmog button. Poof, new look. When the item is put up for sale on the AH it automatically reverts back to its original artwork.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
06/14/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Lylirra
Maybe a blue will see this and can pass it along through the appropriate channels.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6679558168#7 ;)

Allowing players to visually customize their character's armor beyond just dyes is definitely something we want to do. Feel free to keep debating and discussing how you'd like such a feature implemented, though! For example: would you prefer cosmetic slots or a system like transmogrification in WoW, and why would you prefer one system over another? Etc.

World of Warcraft's transmogrification works well. I'd like to see that, but it would also be able to customize the glowy effects on items, which transmog doesn't let you do. :(
Reply Quote
Personally id prefer a cosmetic equipment slot. you could make a separate tab for just the visible gear (kinda like the weapon swap from D2), and just equip the cosmetic item there.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 03:25 PMPosted by Lylirra
I'm not asking why, but rather what!

Simply implement an additional tab above gear slots (like internet web browsers) first tab will be the gear that will affect your character stats, the second tab gear slots will be completely cosmetic.

No item binds or anything like that, just a new gear slot with a tab labeled as "Appearence."

If people just wish to use it as an additional inventory space, they will be free to do so.
Edited by Dseaver#1751 on 6/14/2013 4:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
As I've said many times in the past, a slot for wings/etc. would make my day - especially if the item in said slot automatically activated when I entered a game (perhaps once out of town, so that other players could see it). As it stands, I have an item taking up inventory space that I have to manually re-activate each game, and so having a slot for customizations would be a huge benefit.
Edited by Whiteraven#1955 on 6/14/2013 4:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I never really played WoW so I'm not really sure how transmogrify works in that game, but I'm guessing it's a pretty straight forward make-this-look-like-that. Something similar is what I would in D3. Maybe you could bring this system into the game via the Blacksmith. For example, the BS can make your Nat's cloak look like any piece he can craft for you. As for legendaries that he currently can't craft, you could make it so that salvaging a Beckon Sail Cloak would teach him that design. Once he knows the design, he can make any chest piece look like the Beckon Sail, at the cost of some brims and gold of course.

Class specific items, like cloaks, could only be worn by their respective classes, even if it is just cosmetic.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 6/14/2013 5:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]