Diablo® III

Cosmetic Equipment Slot

I'm not asking why, but rather what! It's something we want to do (and plan on doing), so the "why" is kind of moot. We know why you'd like to customize your appearance. :)

I was encouraging discussion more around how you'd like such a feature to work. That kind of feedback is great no matter where we might be in the development process.

I want to know more about this "transmog" option. Would it be possible to have both this *and* an accessories slot to put my collector's ed. angel wings in and not have to turn them on/off over and over..

Also, would I be able with or without transmog to have the wings serve *some* purpose that is fun or useful in the game..like a bonus to speed.. a new skill or even just a visual thing like making my whole character look like one of the angels when I wear the wings and click on them once or something?

I think that would be awesome...

A slot would be good if the transmog option isn't better. Other items could be introduced. So, long as they don't de-value the ce items, then yeah, bring on minimally useful or just aesthetic accessories for such a slot.

If anyone can better describe transmog, I'd like to know.. I will read more on here maybe someone already mentioned it.. I haven't played WoW or anything else that uses that term, at least not that I remember.. but perhaps I already know what it is and just didn't use that term...

~Philoi.
Reply Quote
Personally I would like it to be:

Take any item in the game => Turn it into dye => Use that dye on an armor/weapon of the same slot/type => 3D model now looks like that item

Great idea! I would criticize it for the potential to accidentally destroy useful items, however, that already exists to some degree with salvaging and selling by accident (although personally, I think it is very difficult to do such things). Anyway, I think you idea is good. It makes people use some form of payment (the item + maybe gold or other materials) and then it allows us to keep the potion for later use.

~Philoi.
Reply Quote
Whatever is eventually done, please remember that Diablo is a totally different game than WoW. It has it's own look and culture. I am all for customization, I don't like looking like every other CM Wiz out there. But to take an item and make it look like something else....... I don't like it. I have been playing since D1 and it doesn't feel "Diabloish" to me.

Part of the Diablo experience is showing off your gear. How can you do that if you make it look like something else? How would the AH and trading work when things don't look like what they really are?

I really like the idea someone posted earlier about making it so you can make "tweaks" to your gear....

Customizing should be modular. Beyond all armor being dyable there should be easy to find armor and weapon tweaks that you can earn and buy. Like "Spikes" - forges cosmetic spikes all over the armor. "Blades" "Skulls and Bones" "Skin" "Demon hides" "Blood stain" "Angels" "Dragons" "Spider Webs" " The more the better and if they could style it with every single armor piece in the game, great. Allow all yellow items to be recrafted into whatever base armor style, including some new cool ones.

Allow players to augment any armor they want with this stuff and build their own themes.

I don't care about players using a cosmetic only slot where they could put whatever legend skins over their items but not for competition pvp when it comes out. Then it could be tricky and lame with people using fake armor sets. Part of diablo has always been looking at your opponent with a glance and knowing exactly what they had on.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 03:26 PMPosted by WitchDoctor
transmog, +1

We have it in wow but that is an mmo. Is it worth it for D3?I guess it all comes down to how the items are tracked in the game. People make it sound easy but I get the feeling it is not as easy as they say. It seems that every time Blizzard tries to do things for this community, like the id all function it opens a door for attack.

It really don't matter to me they can do whatever they can support an that would be just fine. I just have a feeling the CM's at times speak before they think We saw this with Travis in the past.
Reply Quote
I think you guys just need to work on the appearance progression, so it more sensibly correlates with the power of your gear. In Diablo 2, there was no mistaking how powerful someone appeared, if you were wearing powerful gear, there was no mistaking. Though I know Diablo 3 is taking a more direct approach to appearance, as the picture of the item you pick up, is what the armor actually looks like on your character, or at least to a degree. Late game gear needs to be jazzed up a bit in my opinion, though the cosmetic changes are not a bad idea, and both things should be worked on. This can be achieved through adding darker more definitive details to the items, to make them pop more than normal. Could be a simple fix if done correctly.
Reply Quote
cast my vote for the "cosmetic slot". A simple alternate character sheet where you equip items you want to see on your character. I'd like it to be limited to same item types too: only 1h axe can be used for 1h axe etc. It would be weird in diablo to see someone running around with a polearm but it's really a 2h sword etc, especially if some skills rely on specific weapon types etc.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Lylirra
Maybe a blue will see this and can pass it along through the appropriate channels.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6679558168#7 ;)

Allowing players to visually customize their character's armor beyond just dyes is definitely something we want to do. Feel free to keep debating and discussing how you'd like such a feature implemented, though! For example: would you prefer cosmetic slots or a system like transmogrification in WoW, and why would you prefer one system over another? Etc.

I'm a bit disappointed here :(

You're only considering armor customization?

Why would you not consider adding character customization?

When you look at the barbarian, I see an old war veteran that should retire . . .
I don't want to play a muscled grandpa, I want to play and create a character that I find:
- I can impersonate myself in
- Is cool bad-!@# looking (making myself looking even better ;o)
- A sexy stud (yeah often I just want my characters (female) to look sexy)

Are there any plans on making these kinds of customization's?
Most characters are ofc full fledged in armor, still would be cool to see my sexy champs when I log in.
Reply Quote
Maybe too simple but here it comes.

Why not have a dropdown box at every itemslot, from this dropdown box you can select the desired appearance for that item.

Fill this dropdown box automatically while leveling. Allow for additional appearances for which no item exists. Maybe even let the community create several appearances (additionally).
Reply Quote
cosmetic slots would be a way better option in my opinion

this would allow you to really rock the style you want without complicating the process

for example if my barb wants to wear a bucket helmet (which i think looks super funny)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/coif

i would just wack it into the cosmetic slot, instead of having to find a certain dye or potion and then use the potion on my item, and have no idea which type of item my item is again .

cosmetic slots are alot more user friendly. big bold letters THIS SPOT DOES NOT EFFECT CHARACTERS STATS IN ANYWAY .

But if you go potions instead, i think you should only be able to go downwards so for example a coif can't look like archon armour.

because i think that would cause too many problems with trade screen , and i think when anything is put on AH it should remove all dyes and trasmogs.

cosmetic slots for the win!
Reply Quote
Here are some ideas and people responding to them, how they feel or what they want in relation.

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/96316-character-aesthetics-customization/
Reply Quote
Implementing this in a similar way to World of Warcraft would probably the best solution. I have a full set of Common Archon Armour that I'd love to transmog into my actual gear because it looks amazing.
Reply Quote
How about a purse slot?

Kidding aside. How about a trophy slot and trophies? There was a SC2 map I played that had this and whatever trophy you put in the slot would give you a different avatar or aura.
Reply Quote
Actually, an addendum to my original idea. Two suggestions - one easy, one hard.

First, Terraria. Vanity Slots and Armour Slots. Vanity is for the outward appearence, Armour is for the inward stats.

Second, DC Universe Online. Every item you equip has its style added to a 'bank'. You can now use that style at any time on any item.

And my original - WoW style transmogrification.
Reply Quote
Bump for the sake of an informed discussion.
Reply Quote
Maybe a blue will see this and can pass it along through the appropriate channels.

Allowing players to visually customize their character's armor beyond just dyes is definitely something we want to do. Feel free to keep debating and discussing how you'd like such a feature implemented, though! For example: would you prefer cosmetic slots or a system like transmogrification in WoW, and why would you prefer one system over another? Etc.

Well this is certainly unfortunate... Here I was thinking that transmogrification had already been unanimously agreed upon MANY months ago and that we were nearing a game update that would incorporate it. How silly of me : /

Why can't we have both? Is there such a thing as too much visual customization in a game like Diablo 3? Why can't we have cosmetic slots, transmogrification and a million other options(eventually)? You make it seem as if this is a one time offer and we can only choose one thing...

If I HAD to choose just one, I'd pick transmogrification by a long shot. There is an enormous amount of potential visual customization that isn't being utilized due to the lack of a transmogrify system. There are some cool armor sets in this game. It would be nice if I could EVER have a reason to wear them.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 03:25 PMPosted by Lylirra
He wrote it 4 months ago ? U still want to hear why ? Just start working on something . I think players said what they want !

I'm not asking why, but rather what! It's something we want to do (and plan on doing), so the "why" is kind of moot. We know why you'd like to customize your appearance. :)

I was encouraging discussion more around how you'd like such a feature to work. That kind of feedback is great no matter where we might be in the development process.

Add a tab called "appearance" so you can equip any item you want and it of course won't affect your stats, because everyone knows killing monsters is fun but you gotta look badass doing it :D
Reply Quote
it would be nice to be able to dye legendary items...it would also be sweet if we could change the look of them too since some items like vile ward look like crap. I think that in order to do so it would take a certain amount of demonic essences and some gold or something like that.
Reply Quote
06/16/2013 10:44 PMPosted by BlindRage
it would be nice to be able to dye legendary items...it would also be sweet if we could change the look of them too since some items like vile ward look like crap. I think that in order to do so it would take a certain amount of demonic essences and some gold or something like that.

I'd like that as well, but I understand undyeable legendaries. As long as we get the ability to completely change their appearence and dye the new look that is.
Reply Quote

I've never been able to get into WoW so I am unsure of the exact details of Transmogrification, but from what I Googled, I like the idea. Maybe allowing more customization with progress in the endless dungeon that I have heard about as an addition? Each level completed with a character (not the whole account) allows another customization of an armor/wep. I personally would love to see cooler looking legendaries to begin with. This is D3, and these are the top items (sometimes), throw some cooler effects on them for aesthetic feel. Most of the awesome looking items are the legendaries no one ever uses :P

P.S. I sincerely wish the PC Gamers weren't being kicked to the side by the console release. Personally it feels like a slap in the face... I love D3, I am committed to this series, but I admit I might be putting the game on the shelf for the next couple months. After the first year of this game needing much improvement I feel us players that give you feedback every day and commit themselves to this game's success deserve more than the promise of "Itemization" after this fall. You guys have done a great job, no doubt, but it is not good enough. Not if you want to live up to your success in the past. I truly hope that when I come back (after I get my barb to PG100... 7 more lvls!), I come back to a game that was as satisfying to play as I remember Blizzard games to be. Best of luck! ^_^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]