Diablo® III

Cosmetic Equipment Slot

just adding my 2 cents here. i quite like the transmog system currently implemented in wow.
Reply Quote
Just do it like Rift did with the closet or vanity slot. You can put anything you want in there... well Rift had restrictions allowing you only to put what your class could wear which I didn't like. If I'm a plate wearer and want to look like I have cloth on I should be able too.

You could also have new patterns for cosmetic purposes only..like crazy looking items.. And check this..they could drop from bosses making bosses..wait for it... WORTH FARMING...
Reply Quote
I would like a vanity slot, simply because i don't want to use any space in my bag or stash. With a vanity slot, I have separate space for this items.

Transmog is nice, but you have to use your bank/void/bag space for that, besides each wow char have a separate bank/void to keep its items, but the stash is very very very very small if you plan to reach the "2 60's of every class" achiev.

Plus I could change my gear in the middle of a run without altering my look,
Reply Quote
I think it should be a new dye just to keep things easy and simple without having to change the whole interface.

It would work by clicking the dye like you normally would, then clicking on the gear you want the appearance of, then clicking the appropriate equipment slot.

easy pie
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 04:40 PMPosted by Dseaver
I'm not asking why, but rather what!

Simply implement an additional tab above gear slots (like internet web browsers) first tab will be the gear that will affect your character stats, the second tab gear slots will be completely cosmetic.

No item binds or anything like that, just a new gear slot with a tab labeled as "Appearence."

If people just wish to use it as an additional inventory space, they will be free to do so.

As a software developer I would chose this solution. For it's relatively easier to implement and, more important, easier for user to understand and interact.
Reply Quote
Anything that would make the game entertaining.
Reply Quote
I think it should be a new dye just to keep things easy and simple without having to change the whole interface.

It would work by clicking the dye like you normally would, then clicking on the gear you want the appearance of, then clicking the appropriate equipment slot.

easy pie

This is very cool too.

Sounds like a super Eyedrop tool :D

You buy an item that has an Eyedrop icon at first. After first use on one gear it become a Dye icon, then you can use it on another gear.

This is like transmog without the NPC and the UI.

Compare to cosmetic slot:

Pros
-Less UI work.
-Appearance bind to item. So you can make your glass-cannon suit and your tanky suit look different.

Cons
-Every time you change one piece of gear and want to remain the same appearance, you
need to do it again.
-In the case above, you will need to stash your favorite visual gear. which takes up a lot of your precious stash slot.
-After a while you might forget where you get your appearance from.
Reply Quote
Maybe too simple but here it comes.

Why not have a dropdown box at every itemslot, from this dropdown box you can select the desired appearance for that item.

Fill this dropdown box automatically while leveling. Allow for additional appearances for which no item exists. Maybe even let the community create several appearances (additionally).

So, if you're saying what I think you're saying, I think this is a great idea. It would take more work than you might think though...but I still like it. ~Philoi.
Reply Quote
how about a slot for the angelic wings? so they don't unequip themselves constantly.
Reply Quote
Not into WoW, so I'm not sure how transmog works, but I wouldn't mind a system that works like...

You unlock armor templates by finding armor based on that template in game, taking it to the smith and letting him "learn" the template (which destroys the item). Once it's been learned, you can apply that template to like armor types. Works with weapons too.

You don't have to worry about hanging on to items simply for cosmetic purposes.

Traded/AH items retain their transformed look (though the new owner can edit in similar fashion). If you acquire an item with a particular template that you have not unlocked yet, you can destroy it at the smith to unlock that template, or wear it as is (but you can't alter other items to look the same until that template is unlocked).
Reply Quote
You unlock armor templates by finding armor based on that template in game, taking it to the smith and letting him "learn" the template (which destroys the item). Once it's been learned, you can apply that template to like armor types. Works with weapons too.

Awesome! I think that's a really interesting way of implementing transmog while adhering to the lore a bit more. Nice suggestion!

It also adds a bit of a collection element which I love.
Reply Quote
Cosmetic slots would be a most welcome feature. Given the two most suggested options of Transmogrify and some sort of Vanity slot, I'd have to go with the vanity slot. It would be the easiest to implement and less likely to cause unforeseen bugs. A simple extra tab somewhere would be ideal. You wouldn't have to worry about losing items or coming up with some elaborate system to get your items to appear as another. Simply open the vanity tab, plop in your item, and it's done. If you wish to remove it, simply remove the item

Transmogrifying items introduces several additional problems that would need to be solved, involving items to be destroyed, appearances needing to be changed back for AH resell, or items either being bound to account, or even the possible bug/human error of the wrong item being transmogrified (should we go the route of the item being destroyed)

This is just a cosmetic thing, it shouldn't be overly complicated. An extra vanity tab is the best solution IMO

I'd also like to just say, that this is a feature I've long wanted and something I would highly be looking forward to, almost more so than itemization. I really hate that I can't do much with legendary items and some appear so ugly to me, that I'd rather use a rare with a design I like, regardless of how good the stats might be. I simply can't play a character I find ugly. It also bugs the hell out of me I can't dye them
Reply Quote
Either way, through item manipulation, or a vanity slot, you are just juggling gear options. Driving stats off one spot, and the look off one if available and the other if not. Theoretically (obviously I haven't seen the D3 item database) you are really just talking about adding a field to the user_item table to dictate it's design.

Items being destroyed isn't an issue, you can already break them down (destroy them) at the smith currently. For that matter, why would you need to revert them back to their original look to sell them? You should have that option at the Smith. You buy a Skorn on the AH, if it doesn't look like a Skorn and you want it to look like a Skorn, a quick visit to the smith makes it look like a Skorn.

Vanity spots can cause bugs as well.
Reply Quote
This should definitely happen!
But I believe There should just be a tab on the side right side of the screen in the inventory menu that pulls out a window with vanity slots. Simple, easy, solves the problem. No need to spend gold, and I don't believe you should need to be paragon level 100 either, I'm not even paragon level 1 yet and I don't want to have to wait to use this function if it's implemented.
Reply Quote
shouldn't this thread be dead... Transmogrifying has been been added to RoS
Reply Quote
Hi Lylirra,

I'm not so fond of being able to customize the look of a hero actually. I'm afraid everyone will look the same... or maybe not.

OP states something interesting in the fact that much visual design is wasted into low legendary items we won't keep. So well, maybe the blacksmith could take two items as input, and both would look the same after some blacksmithing. Maybe there could be some kind of mix at the same time, mostly stats from the desired item, but also stats from the visual item. In which case, we could get some better stats, another affix, or on the contrary stats could be lowered... something random ?

Otherwise, I'm thinking rare items or even legendary items could have a chance to get a cosmetic affix... something that wouldn't be listed as an affix on the item, we'd have to press ctrl to see this cosmetic affix...

And those cosmetic affixes would create a variety of designs... even for legendary drops. I personally would like such an implementation for you may want to grind in order to have on peculiar cosmetic affix. Although I wouldn't do it because I don't have the patience, I'm pretty sure some people would. And it would be a neat unexpected surprise on your gear (cosmetic affixes could be rare like legendaries are...). Dunno, I think the idea is exploitable. No one would whine about them being too rare since there is nothing to do with the balance of the game :)

Please provide feedback on this idea, :p
Edited by Lyth#2898 on 1/6/2014 3:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
Cosmetic slot, have appearances drop like any other item. HELLOOOO!
Reply Quote
View profile
01/06/2014 03:47 PMPosted by Lyth
So well, maybe the blacksmith could take two items as input, and both would look the same after some blacksmithing.

Isn't that what transmorgify from the mystic essentially does?
Reply Quote
01/07/2014 10:34 AMPosted by TheNightOwl
Isn't that what transmorgify from the mystic essentially does?

From what I understood, the mystic changes an affix, and only one affix. And that's all. There isn't more than one weapon used in the process.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]