Diablo® III

Elemental Damage and SoJ Guide OBSOLETE

Thanks for the input!

Once I get the cash for a new quiver, I'll look for that.

Awesome spreadsheet too! Thanks!

Happy hunting, Soup!
Reply Quote
Awesome write-up bro! U just went from tastysoup to Pho Dac biet in my book hehehe! Its my favorite soup from an all night partying with friends. Just perfect for hangovers! Lol!
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/active/entangling-shot
all runes **with a Cold proc, the first hit applies the CtW Bonus**

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/active/entangling-shot
all runes **without a Cold proc, the first hit doesn't apply the CtW Bonus**

Added these too both sections. Same, info just wanted to reiterate it.
Reply Quote
Hey there, thanks for the guide! I was wondering : Does every single attack with a cold SoJ (and a skill using weapon damage ofc) will proc cull of the weak? Is it safe to asume that this particular skill's damages are now 15% buffed?

Or does cold SoJ only have a chance of snaring the target? Thanks!
Reply Quote
11/15/2013 04:33 PMPosted by Pyromancer
Hey there, thanks for the guide! I was wondering : Does every single attack with a cold SoJ (and a skill using weapon damage ofc) will proc cull of the weak?

Sentry is the only skill I currently know of that reads weapon damage and doesn't proc it.
** Chains of torment is the only rune in the skill set that procs CtW **

Is it safe to asume that this particular skill's damages are now 15% buffed?

CtW works as a monster debuff, so if a target is being slowed in any way it will make them receive 15% more damage. The 15% more damage can be viewed the same as Archery's 15% more damage, when using bows, in terms of how it applies to the damage calculation. It doesn't increase a skills damage by +15% (hungering arrow doesn't become 130% weapon damage), it multiplies the end resulting damage by 15%.

11/15/2013 04:33 PMPosted by Pyromancer
Or does cold SoJ only have a chance of snaring the target? Thanks!

Cold damage will always snare the target. It works similar to the Chill effect you can obtain on Shoulders, but instead of 2 seconds of snaring and a chance to proc, it will always slow for 1 second from cold damage.

thanks for reading!
Reply Quote
Table of Contents:
** Use the search function in your browser to navigate to sections easier (CTRL+F) **

I've included a table of contents to the guide now
Reply Quote
Heya Tasty, might wanna add that Hungering Arrow w/ SoT rune - the tooltip states 'weapon damage' for the explosion on crit but that part doesn't actually work with CtW, only the initial hit does + any recurring pierces (the explosion itself doesn't snare, thanks for the tip DiEoxidE).

"Successful Critical Hits cause a burst of bone to explode from the target, dealing 50% weapon damage to enemies in that area."

Silver
Edited by Silver#6986 on 12/11/2013 12:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/11/2013 12:40 AMPosted by Silver
Heya Tasty, might wanna add that Hungering Arrow w/ SoT rune - the tooltip states 'weapon damage' for the explosion on crit but that part doesn't actually work with CtW, only the initial hit does + any recurring pierces (the explosion itself doesn't snare, thanks for the tip DiEoxidE).

"Successful Critical Hits cause a burst of bone to explode from the target, dealing 50% weapon damage to enemies in that area."

Silver

Will do, good call ^.^

Thanks!
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/active/sentry
Chains of Torment is the only rune that procs CtW, none of the other runes benefit from CtW regardless of how you proc it. Ex. Caltrops will not proc CtW for your sentries.
(all of these runes should theoretically snare but they don't, a bug report was submitted)

Added this section to the guide.

Sorry if my necroing annoys you, I'm doing this for my own quick reference and others if they want to see ^.^
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 12/20/2013 4:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
Tasty,

Has it been confirmed by a blue concerning cold SoJ not working in 2.0 PTR/RoS that this is working as intended (retroactively)?

As unfortunately none of this will be useful for anybody come March next year....

Silver
Reply Quote
View profile
This is my take of the situation guys.

Cold Damage is increased to level with all the other damages and they drop the weapon effect on the elemental weapon affix. Work as intended.

Once they figured out what kind of cc or affix they want to add to weapons there will be another layer of gearing added to the game. But its hard to say they have move many weapon damage skill to a specific elemental type. In the end the effects might be completely dependent by the skills we use.

Right now +% cold/fire/lightning/etc. affix are removed from the game, and the devs don't want anyone to be able to use those affix. The highest +% weapon damage in ilvl70 is 10%. A single Zuni or Inna with 8% will already add too much damage to the physical weapon damage pool.

Legacy Items like the above will be OP with a single affix re-roll, imo.
Reply Quote
12/20/2013 02:40 PMPosted by Silver
As unfortunately none of this will be useful for anybody come March next year....

The guide is going to need reworked or scrapped and for the most part will be outdated, but other bits of information are still useful. As you've said there's still 3 months before it comes out and these question still pop up in the forums so I figure I might as well keep it up to date with all the info I know.

12/20/2013 02:59 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
Cold Damage is increased to level with all the other damages and they drop the weapon effect on the elemental weapon affix. Work as intended.

Not worth the change at all, why not introduce affects for the other elements? oh well.

I don't want this guide turning into a reaper of souls discussions. It's pretty obvious that a large majority of the guide is useless for that game so lets keep it focused on D3 Vanilla.

Legacy Items like the above will be OP with a single affix re-roll, imo.

affix are removed from the game, and the devs don't want anyone to be able to use those affix.

For what its worth I disagree with this statement. It still applies bonus damage so if they didn't want us to use it they would have disabled it just like crushing blow. Items like Triumvirate may still be really good if re-rolled properly and used with the right gear, but you would possibly miss out on some other new bonus. At this point I really don't know. No one knows because things can change in the next 3 months. I personally don't think they have a plan for the elements beyond what they have now, but what we do know now is that they've removed the chilling affect from cold in all forms, and elemental damage still functions the same.
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 12/20/2013 5:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
THIS GUIDE IS NOW OUTDATED DUE TO CHANGES IN MECHANICS FROM PATCH 2.0

I may rework it, coming Soon™

:(
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 2/27/2014 6:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
02/27/2014 06:48 AMPosted by TastySouP
THIS GUIDE IS NOW OUTDATED DUE TO CHANGES IN MECHANICS FROM PATCH 2.0

I may rework it, coming Soon™

:(

I can still run the Cold Hunter ;o)
Reply Quote
question, i just picked up a nats bow with cold dmg, will this still work with cotw with this new patch?
Reply Quote
02/27/2014 07:08 AMPosted by Tropicalypso
I can still run the Cold Hunter ;o)

having two elemental affixes makes it realllly confusing now >.< so I'm thinking about reworking the math and removing the CtW sections ect, but some specs still work ^.^ I'm jelly of your krider >.<

02/27/2014 08:12 AMPosted by Matri
question, i just picked up a nats bow with cold dmg, will this still work with cotw with this new patch?

No, before patch 2.0 cold damage used to slow enemies by 60%, but they've now made it so Cold Damage no longer slows.

When a skill was listed as "weapon damage", such as all the skills in section 03. the cold damage would be applied with the attack and slow an enemy and proc ctw's 15% more damage.

With the cold change in 2.0 the only skills that will slow any enemy are ones that full out say "slows/snares enemies". Even skills with cold damage, but do not say that it slows, will not slow. ex. Evasive Fire - Displacement is cold but will not slow because it doesn't list it in the tooltip.
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 2/27/2014 12:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Tasty, get on TS.
Reply Quote
02/27/2014 12:39 PMPosted by VocaloidNyan
Tasty, get on TS.

asap! I'm at work still, just waiting for the train
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]