Diablo® III

Ruby vs Emerald

Hi I am new to playing WD and wondering whether d3rawr / d3up is a better reference to see if ruby or emerald is better on weapon (or in general).

If you may also elaborate on the reason(s) for picking either one, it will be really appreciated, thanks.
Reply Quote
View profile
either is a great reference to help you determine if a red or green gem is better for you.

d3up is probably easier as you can switch out the gem on your weap and compare when you click "simulate"

as to why and what...it really depends on your gear and type of weapon you have. For example for manajuma knives, a ruby will always be better...hugely better.

in your case, with your axe, you lose 3k dps going with a marq ruby so it looks like emerald is the way to go

If it was close between the green and red gem, i'd favor the red gem because the red gem is more consistent dmg and does not require CC to be activated
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advice, one other question, how close (how much % difference) would u start to favor red over green (even when red has lower dmg)?? Thanks.

So like me, I am losing 3000 dmg but compare to 119445, that's a 2.5% dmg lost, so then would u recommend me to use Msq ruby??
Edited by xAuCxKerigan#1541 on 6/18/2013 9:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advice, one other question, how close (how much % difference) would u start to favor red over green (even when red has lower dmg)?? Thanks.

So like me, I am losing 3000 dmg but compare to 119445, that's a 2.5% dmg lost, so then would u recommend me to use Msq ruby??

DPS is the DPS. If it says higher then it is higher.

Always go for the higher dps option, unless 5m unsocketing cost is an issue.

Let's say for comparable DPS, which one would you prefer?

Theoretically, if the DPS is largely the same, Ruby is better than Emerald. The reason is simple, Ruby's dps is more stable, it fluctuates less than emerald. The difference between your min dmg and max dmg is smaller. Therefore, you are less likely to have dps overflow on some monsters.

Of course, some players prefer to see large yellow crit numbers. Then for them, emerald is the one to go after.
Edited by Neuron#1807 on 6/18/2013 9:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If you are heavy on CHC go emerald.

If you are not so heavy on CHC go ruby.
Reply Quote

I am sorry to ask, but how much cc is enough and how much is not??

I know it is hard to find a black and white line but then wt about me??

If I change to ruby I lose 2.5% of dmg and also my cc is low?? mid-low?? switch to ruby??

90m to switch (23m x 3 + 5m to remove + 20m to forge) is quite ouchy ='''[
Reply Quote
View profile

I know it is hard to find a black and white line but then wt about me??

If I change to ruby I lose 2.5% of dmg and also my cc is low?? mid-low?? switch to ruby??

90m to switch (23m x 3 + 5m to remove + 20m to forge) is quite ouchy ='''[

xAuCxKerigan, this is what i would do in your shoes:

First of all, keep the green gem in axe. Like Neuron said above, go with the higher dps option.

Next, the 1.0.8 patch buffed XP in a HUGE way. It is no longer recommended to use the hellfire ring and red gem in helm. Instead, it is recommended to move up to as high an MP as you can.

For example, in mp10 solo, i'm running at about 937% XP bonus, with one other player, its around 1037% bonus XP. Forget about the piddly 35% on ring and 31% on helm.

With 90m, you can easily get a purple gem for the helm (for +18% life) and replace the hellfire ring with a more traditional dps ring like with 5-6% Crit chance and 40+ crit dmg, int, avg dmg etc. Even a 10-20m ring can up your dps by 25k.

You'll be in a much better position that way moving forward
Reply Quote
i do see a lot of WD do not go w/ HF+ruby on helm......i guess im just used to religious to the barb custom......i do have a good rare ring to boost my dps, i will try and see what's going on, thank you very much
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 10:20 AMPosted by xAuCxKerigan

I see you're using bears. This means you get 3 bears per cast. If your CHC is >33%, you get 1 critical hit per cast, if all 3 bears hit something. That should be enough for life sustain.

If you're using a bat-variant build, and you're going the 2H path, get as near to 50% CHC as possible. 49% is the max without Inna's pants. With Inna's pants, you can get the max 50% CHC. Going the 1H path, it is much easier to reach 50% CHC, but you will lack CHD. CHC and CHD really work as a pair. Once you reach this 50% CHC benchmark, you will get 1 critical tick per cast.

The summary to answer your question is:
Get to the breakpoint CHC such that you crit frequently (every second), and this will provide the damage (assuming you have high CHD as well), and the life sustain needed in MP10.

06/18/2013 12:27 PMPosted by xAuCxKerigan
i guess im just used to religious to the barb custom....

It's not a custom, the game has changed since Patch 1.08. It is now much more efficient to run in groups with skill synergy. With the exp bonus from groups, the HF ring and ruby in helm becomes insignificant compared to what the group can achieve together. 60% compared to 1000+% exp.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]