Diablo® III

The Stone Cold Hunter! w/ vids and tutorial!

Congrats to Animus for the build name! You get the 50 mil prize! I also want to mention that TheGreatKhan came up with the first 2 words "Stone Cold" but Animus provided the entire name I liked. Since he posted first, I will also gift him 50 mil. Thanks to everyone involved!

Sup! I have a treat here for Ranged DH's! The Stone Cold Hunter I won't be doing a write up here, as I made a video tutorial that explains every single possible detail and everything you need to know about the build, gear, and execution. Personally I think it's best this way since playing ranged is a bit more complicated and simply just writing it out doesn't really help players try to execute it, as we all know there's a high margin for player error when attempting ranged play. Anyways, enjoy!

My skill set up used in all videos:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aQgRlk!Yec!cccbaa

I'm obviously not expecting everyone to slot only 1 defensive skill and no disc regenerators. For most, I'd recommend something like this.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aQgVdk!Yec!ccYcba

Come up with your own unique ways of building around the Stone Cold Hunter that will work for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5yFbHRbRBk&feature=youtu.be

Tutorial video.

*NEW*

Rough unedited but really cool mp 10 Vota run, full clear!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr-OepLRHTc&feature=youtu.be

I actually recorded 3 vota runs, and decided to upload the one with the hardest affix combo's as well as show death (the only run I died in). Some really good moments in the video, as well as some awful mistakes on my end which ultimately lead to my death a few times, but I'm cool with that. It also shows what some range players can do in crazy situations and how to overcome them (including the mistakes). It was never my intent to create the perfect video for now, but I may do that in the future :D

Fastest E kill in video = 14 seconds
Longest E kill in video = The ones I died to :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtLt09lwSPk&feature=youtu.be

General Keeps 2 and Core run.

Stone Cold Hunter is not 2H xbow friendly. Impreza summarizes this well:

" You didn't really mention why its bad for slow 2hs / manti. Let me tell them anyways ; proccing the 15% CtW with cold ring requires constant damage from a fast weapon, moreover, the constant damage equals constant slow aswell which makes the low damage from entangling shot obsolete. "

For info on skills that deals black damage, check out TastySoup's thread here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9308901329#1

General info on how to improve your ranged play.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569108872

Thanks for reading, listening, and watching! :D
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 6/28/2013 7:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nyan's name:

"The cold shoulder!"
However the beast name is the Nyan hunter.

Have you consider using ele arrow nether? :)

Edit: some other names!

"Cold Finger" <--- I hope you get the joke
"An arrow best served cold" :)
Edited by VocaloidNyan#1582 on 6/18/2013 11:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote

^^ I made this post about Cold SoJs, might answer some peoples questions preemptively

Cool build too :) I'm always a fan of builds focused on Cold SoJs and CTW, but I want to throw something out there, I heard you mention that all sentries proc cull the weak. I recently did some tests and it appears to be bugged. Only Chains of Torment actually snares enemies atm.

I played with this build for a while:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aigYhQ!eYc!ccYcZc
I just can`t get used to using a generator :(

now for a name....
Stone of Dieoxide?
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 6/18/2013 12:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote

^^ I made this post about Cold SoJs, might answer some peoples questions preemptively

Cool build too :) I'm always a fan of builds focused on Cold SoJs and CTW, but I want to throw something out there, I heard you mention that all sentries proc cull the weak. I recently did some tests and it appears to be bugged. Only Chains of Torment actually snares enemies atm.

I played with this build for a while:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aigYhQ!eYc!ccYcZc
I just can`t get used to using a generator :(

now for a name....
Stone of Dieoxide?

Ya, SOJ's are definitely the rage nowadays. I use to just ring swap for the past 3 months, never thought I'd be using one permanently though lol. Great thread man.

In my vid, I don't think i said it procs cull (if i did, I apologize) but I did mention that it can get the cull the weak buff whenever the unit its attacking is snared.

Stone of DiEoxidE sounds a bit egotistical and self centered (definitely not my personality at all), however thanks for helping with names! :D

@nyan. "The cold shoulder" sounds awesome! I'll hold off on picking a name till I get a good batch of possibilities. :P
Reply Quote
Yo sick videos man!

About Scatter traps, you forgot to mention stepping while using the environment to put the elites into situations where you can bunch the Scatter on top of each other. Like moving to a side of a wall and bunching them on it. And lastly to not aim it on a monster but instead aim it slightly to the side of them so even on the smallest single targets you can have at least 2/3 go off at once.

Btw man I wish Rain of Vengeance had a higher proc, Dark Cloud would be legit as hell with Nightstalker... do you know if the ticks scale with your attack speed for Dark Cloud and Runeless?

Oh and btw man, I've been interested in trying something with Sever on Eirena or Kormac with Grim Reaper. It doesn't seem like it'd be something that's consistent, but I'm not sure, when do we actually see our followers landing the fatal blow. :P
Reply Quote
Yo sick videos man!

About Scatter traps, you forgot to mention stepping while using the environment to put the elites into situations where you can bunch the Scatter on top of each other. Like moving to a side of a wall and bunching them on it. And lastly to not aim it on a monster but instead aim it slightly to the side of them so even on the smallest single targets you can have at least 2/3 go off at once.

Thanks. Ya I definitely forgot to show this. I packed a lot of info in that vid and forgot a few things :( I do plan on doing more uploads though. Thanks for the input!

Btw man I wish Rain of Vengeance had a higher proc, Dark Cloud would be legit as hell with Nightstalker... do you know if the ticks scale with your attack speed for Dark Cloud and Runeless?

From my testing, it does not. I would love for someone to double check for me though. Even if it did, I probably wouldn't change a thing. I'm not a big fan of higher attack speed other than using a calamity, and only have it on my gear as bonus if the other stats are high. I'd rather hit harder. (in the process of looking for a sweet nat's helm).

Oh and btw man, I've been interested in trying something with Sever on Eirena or Kormac with Grim Reaper. It doesn't seem like it'd be something that's consistent, but I'm not sure, when do we actually see our followers landing the fatal blow. :P

You know I'm always up for new ideas, so definitely interested!
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 6/18/2013 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Rain man
Rain dancer
Rain bringer

Cold arrow
Cold rain
Reply Quote
Nice build. Being a spike trap user at heart now, ill have to mess around with it as well. I will need to get a stone of jordan again though. I played with it once and wasn't really impressed but I honestly don't know if the skills i was using were black damage skills or not... quite a while ago.

Anyhow, as cheesy as it sounds, I can't think up anything else so... Stone Cold Build
Reply Quote
BTW, a cold SOJ with spike trap is several times cheaper than a cold SOJ with HA. I know cause I bought one for less than 500k few days back.
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 01:30 PMPosted by The47thSen
BTW, a cold SOJ with spike trap is several times cheaper than a cold SOJ with HA. I know cause I bought one for less than 500k few days back.

This is true. Either way works well (tried them both) and I just happen to prefer the HA one due to the fact that it hits a ton of times and would rather buff that. Also when I did a spikes SoJ, any crit that was above 1.6 mil against reflect insta-one shotted me even with shadow power on due to my EHP lol. This happened fairly often, even without using grim reaper so I think that's another reason why i went the HA SOJ route, lol.

Nice build. Being a spike trap user at heart now, ill have to mess around with it as well. I will need to get a stone of jordan again though. I played with it once and wasn't really impressed but I honestly don't know if the skills i was using were black damage skills or not... quite a while ago.

Anyhow, as cheesy as it sounds, I can't think up anything else so... Stone Cold Build

Ya man, give it a go! You can add me in game and I'll even run with you.

Stone Cold is kind of catchy :D
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 02:13 PMPosted by DiEoxidE
any crit that was above 1.6 mil against reflect insta-one shotted me even with shadow power on due to my EHP lol.

Pfft. First World Problems :)
Reply Quote
DiEoxidE man, good build. Really like the range of skills you've thrown in there. Crazy steppin too :)

I gotta try out scatter again. You get some nice crits with that skill with all of the buffs you stack up. Hungering arrow is something i never really liked, but with this build is works really well. Guess its good for steppin too if your not a good aim.

As for names.... Im thinking...

The Bitter Marksman

Sub Zero Hero

The Arctic Ranger

The Frozen Wanderer

Sorry to throw out 4 there... :p

If you pick one of my names can i choose someone here on the US forums for you to donate the gold to. Cheers :)
Reply Quote
Chilling Teeth Build/Hunter of the Chilling Teeth
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 6/18/2013 3:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The moment I saw the passives I liked it already! In mp10 you gotta carry as much punch a you can. NS / Vengance / Perfectionist are just utility passives to help you in whatever you might lack on your gear. It either kill fast or be killed on mp10. The faster you kill them, the lesser mitigation you need. Holds true for all classes except maybe CM wiz :D

Wasn't really a fan of the shock hunter since it was half utilty / half damage. you cant kill anything really with shock collar :D SoJ is definitely the end game ring for DHs, no rare can replace it unless your vetting for the top 10 slot in PVP dummy etc.

You didn't really mention why its bad for slow 2hs / manti. Let me tell them anyways ; proccing the 15% CtW with cold ring requires constant damage from a fast weapon, moreover, the constant damage equals constant slow aswell which makes the low damage from entangling shot obsolete.

weakest skill slot IMO is the turret, I would rather use caltrops : immobilize for better control / utility / damage. next would be RoV, as you mentioned its more of a utility spell, damage is useless on mp10, I would rather use preparation since the lack on NS passive.

Overall its a solid build. GJ on this one!
Reply Quote
Also because Hungering Arrow gets better with attack speed, per the pierce chance.
Reply Quote
DiEoxidE was kind enough to loan me an HA SoJ so I could take this build for a spin. Needless to say, the build had great flow, felt powerful, and was just plain fun. DiEoxidE is a wizard... err, a Grandmaster Hunter at creating awesome builds. ;)
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 6/18/2013 3:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

From my testing, it does not. I would love for someone to double check for me though. Even if it did, I probably wouldn't change a thing. I'm not a big fan of higher attack speed other than using a calamity, and only have it on my gear as bonus if the other stats are high. I'd rather hit harder. (in the process of looking for a sweet nat's helm).

You know I'm always up for new ideas, so definitely interested!

I like attack speed scaling because it gives another damage alternative instead of just stacking crit damage. For my current build, I'd love to dual wield or even use a 2h bow but it would drop the low end of my traps damage dramatically, and I'd lose consistency. I guess in that respect I'd have to look for min-max. Or, I'd switch Chakram or Hungering Arrow and probably swap Sharpshooter for Vengeance or Nightstalker, I wouldn't be able to nuke the screen anymore though.

Yeah for the Sever idea, I'll pop into TS and talk with you about it maybe tonight, I have some other build ideas I want to run by you.
Reply Quote
Noobs DH question , I think I asked it on your youtube video as well, how are you stutter-stepping your Hungering Arrow like that?
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 04:59 PMPosted by Vanguardian
Noobs DH question , I think I asked it on your youtube video as well, how are you stutter-stepping your Hungering Arrow like that?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569108872
Reply Quote
DiEoxidE man, good build. Really like the range of skills you've thrown in there. Crazy steppin too :)

I gotta try out scatter again. You get some nice crits with that skill with all of the buffs you stack up. Hungering arrow is something i never really liked, but with this build is works really well. Guess its good for steppin too if your not a good aim.

Thanks! I wasn't a fan of HA either for most of D3, but I did like SoT. I wanted something that actually scaled well with the typical ranged DH gearing and SoT does just that. Scatter is great once you get the hang of it. It's one of those old school skills that got put to the side once tank hunters and EB came about. :P

As far as names, I like the first one you mentioned the best. The Bitter Marksman. I can get with that :)

The moment I saw the passives I liked it already! In mp10 you gotta carry as much punch a you can. NS / Vengance / Perfectionist are just utility passives to help you in whatever you might lack on your gear. It either kill fast or be killed on mp10. The faster you kill them, the lesser mitigation you need. Holds true for all classes except maybe CM wiz :D

100% agreed

Wasn't really a fan of the shock hunter since it was half utilty / half damage. you cant kill anything really with shock collar :D SoJ is definitely the end game ring for DHs, no rare can replace it unless your vetting for the top 10 slot in PVP dummy etc.

You didn't really mention why its bad for slow 2hs / manti. Let me tell them anyways ; proccing the 15% CtW with cold ring requires constant damage from a fast weapon, moreover, the constant damage equals constant slow aswell which makes the low damage from entangling shot obsolete.

You're right, and thanks for the insight :)

weakest skill slot IMO is the turret, I would rather use caltrops : immobilize for better control / utility / damage. next would be RoV, as you mentioned its more of a utility spell, damage is useless on mp10, I would rather use preparation since the lack on NS passive.

Ya turret is the weaker link here, but only because SoT and Scatter do so well together. I find it hard to give up turrets when once both of them are down against E's with all buffs, they're kicking out roughly 900k dps by themselves. That's a lot to give up :(

If blizzard ever plans on fixing snap shotting, I'll be force to go back to vault acrobatics or prep from RoV. For now, I like the extra albeit small damage it does (feels good to see a bunch of things happening at once) and the awesome snapshot utility for those crazy situations. I've winged myself from being reliant on disc and I hope I don't have to go back to doing so any time soon lol.

Anyways, these are all minor preference things here.

Cool to see your stamp of approval here :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]