Diablo® III

The Stone Cold Hunter! w/ vids and tutorial!

I like the build. As for a name:

Black Ice Build
Hunter of the Black Ice
Stone Cold Hunter
Frozen Fangs

Just a few I thought of

You could combine the first two. Maybe Black Ice Hunter? Makes sense and not too shabby. Also like Frozen Fangs.

Artic Invader - Because the way you shoot non-stop resembles the spaceship from space invader. hehe.

lol at the inspiration :D Don't you have a sentry thread to attend to? Get on it bro!
Reply Quote
View profile
Interesting build Die. My only issue has been the lack of AoE.

SoT provides a little bit of AoE dmg, but when the mobs get thick, it just feels like I'm not hitting enough creatures.

That's what scatter is for :D SoT softens up the area while scatter is your primary AoE skill. It's also pretty much spammable as you saw in the vids.

I'm curious, when equipping a Cold SoJ, does that turn Hungering Arrow SoT into a "Cold Skill"?

More specific, would the +30% to Cold Damage Skills found on a set of Frostburn's apply to Hungering Arrow?

Unfortunately no that isn't the case. Adding cold damage does not turn a black damage skill into a cold skill :(

Aww man, that's a bummer... would have made SoT an OP skill :o)
Edited by Tropicalypso#1473 on 6/19/2013 7:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
DiE, I've come up with a variation of your build that I can't wait to try out. As you know, I've been experimenting with MS - Suppression Fire, and last night as I was perusing the AH for a cold HA SoJ I happened upon an MS one with 4 m left and a bid of only 1900 gold. So I picked it up.

Now this has got me to thinking, why not not drop Bat for Punishment and spam Suppression Fire with a cold SoJ. As it is already, I have more than enough disc to Shadow Glide everywhere, thus it shouldn't be too difficult to fuel Punishment, especially since the hatred is immediately converted to disc.

P.S. I would use HA - SoT as my generator, but it would play second fiddle to MS.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 6/19/2013 8:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
*NEW*

Rough unedited but really cool mp 10 Vota run, full clear!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr-OepLRHTc&feature=youtu.be

I actually recorded 3 vota runs, and decided to upload the one with the hardest affix combo's as well as show death (the only run I died in). Some really good moments in the video, as well as some awful mistakes on my end which ultimately lead to my death a few times, but I'm cool with that. It also shows what some range players can do in crazy situations and how to overcome them (including the mistakes). It was never my intent to create the perfect video for now, but I may do that in the future :D

Fastest E kill in video = 14 seconds
Longest E kill in video = The ones I died to :D

Enjoy!

Also in OP
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 6/19/2013 8:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Great build.

I'm a bit different to the other guys. What I like about your build is that you do not depend on discipline as much as 95% of DHs. Freeing up skills like NS and Prep etc. actually allows this build to add to eDPS with sentries, dark cloud etc. Sometimes when I see DHs complain about their DPS they have loaded passives/skill bar with all defensive abilities like NS, perfectionist, prep etc...and you kinda think well no wonder...

Someone earlier said that that sentries were a weak point in your build and I am not sure I agree with that. especially for a calamity user, they were dealing big damage at an incredible attack speed. You don't have any hatred problems keeping the sentries up and I am starting to think whether the 6s cooldown rune might be better than spitfire turret.

Dark Cloud was doing pretty low damage tho for a skill slot and doesn't scale with your APS etc. so I am starting to wonder if its the best choice for a slot.

Your build will be really good with Bait the trap with the CC helping SoT but you likely won't have the disc. to maintain it especially for a kiting build.

Vault Acrobatics or maybe even using the Beastly Bombs rune instead might be worth a try in place of dark cloud...i'm sure some theory crafters out there can come up with something as well....but 712% over 12 seconds i.e. 66% weapon damage second for a skill that also target boxes doesn't seem to warrant a slot (for a slow manticore user maybe, but not for a 1 hander).
Reply Quote
View profile
(>^^)>
Reply Quote
Someone earlier said that that sentries were a weak point in your build and I am not sure I agree with that. especially for a calamity user, they were dealing big damage at an incredible attack speed. You don't have any hatred problems keeping the sentries up and I am starting to think whether the 6s cooldown rune might be better than spitfire turret.

I agree, sentries are incredible. You may be onto something with the reduced cooldown rune, though I've always figured the 2 second reduction doesn't really warrant the rune choice unless I'm running Custom Engineering. My line of thought is that since sentries are taking advantages of all the damage buffs of mine, having spitfire rockets also getting those same buffs made it worth slotting. I'll definitely give the viligant watcher rune a shot though.

Your build will be really good with Bait the trap with the CC helping SoT but you likely won't have the disc. to maintain it especially for a kiting build.

I know!! I was messing around with bait the trap last night and it's incredible with this build. Unfortunately due to the amount of stepping, im never able to stand in one spot long enough, and not having any disc regenerators doesn't allow me to place a few of them stategically like I'd want to for it to work :(

Vault Acrobatics or maybe even using the Beastly Bombs rune instead might be worth a try in place of dark cloud...i'm sure some theory crafters out there can come up with something as well....but 712% over 12 seconds i.e. 66% weapon damage second for a skill that also target boxes doesn't seem to warrant a slot (for a slow manticore user maybe, but not for a 1 hander).

I'm not slotting RoV for the damage output here. It's for the snapshot utility mostly. The fact that I can have life steal for an extra 11 to 12 seconds without having to do anything at all is very useful in those crazy uncontrollable situations that ranged players often find themselves in (you can see this clearly in the mp 10 keeps 3 vid against the tremor pack) Also, RoV procs cold, so any time Im not able to shoot due to things like vortex, knockback, nightmare, etc, Dark cloud will still be going and provide a slow for me, allowing me to gain my distance again. The fact that it deals damage too is just a bonus.

I use to use either vault acrobatics or prep for a while, and ever since I came across life steal snapshotting with RoV, I've actually had an easier time surviving and even less dependency on shadow power. If blizzard ever do away with snapshot mechanics for DH class, I will definitely go back to using prep or vault.

As stated before, this is merely a preference slot. Most people will find vault, prep, or SS much useful and accessible.
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 6/19/2013 8:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah actually one thing I have noticed (I just watched your VoTA vids)...is that without a good pool of disc. or disc. generators reflects are hard.

I run a 30disc DH without prep (although I use nightstalker) and reflect mobs are hard. once you run out of shadow power you don't know what to do besides waiting for sentries to take them out.

I use cinder arrow to proc NS so non reflects I just kite and shoot to replenish NS...but against reflects shooting without LS is time consuming to say the least.

EDIT: Yeah and sentries rock. A lot of times people look down on sentries because we all use CC/CD builds and sentries can't crit. I haven't done the calcs for your build but I think you'll find that having 2 sentries up represent something like 50%+ increase in your damage output (albeit against single target situations only)...its effectively even more than whatever the maths show because the sentries are always shooting...
Edited by Alagos#3786 on 6/19/2013 9:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah actually one thing I have noticed (I just watched your VoTA vids)...is that without a good pool of disc. or disc. generators reflects are hard.

I run a 30disc DH without prep (although I use nightstalker) and reflect mobs are hard. once you run out of shadow power you don't know what to do besides waiting for sentries to take them out.

I use cinder arrow to proc NS so non reflects I just kite and shoot to replenish NS...but against reflects shooting without LS is time consuming to say the least.

This is true. In the video however, me running out of disc was my mistake. I burned through too much disc before facing that pack and ended up paying for it with death lol. For me, I've timed it out pretty accurately, to where a full disc pool (39 for me with SOJ) will allow me to cast enough SP to kill a pack before being completely empty, give 1 or 2 seconds between SP cast. If i managed my disc poorly, or the pack is really that difficult, I rely on turrets for damage and I poke with HA while RoV heals me back to health until SP is up again. That's usually the worst case scenario. I'll say this is the one thing I really missed about having prep lol.
Reply Quote
Actually maybe worth swapping out Mark for Prep focus mind? given it overrides the calamity mark anyway...so all you're really losing is the 12% spread out to 20 yard radius rune impact.
Edited by Alagos#3786 on 6/19/2013 9:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Actually maybe worth swapping out Mark for Prep? given it overrides the calamity mark anyway...so all you're really losing is the 12% spread out to 20 yard radius rune impact.

Quite the contrary. The skill mark of death actually stacks with Calamity's mark. 24% to main target and then 24% spread out damage is awesome against E's. Also gives turrets a little bit of AoE whenever they decide to hit the target I marked lol.

I prefer the extra damage vs all E's and big targets. For how I'm playing, prep only shines against reflect (or when I'm not playing high MP and want to perma-glide through content), therefore making it a wasted slot most of the time. Of course this option is not for everyone though.

DiE, I've come up with a variation of your build that I can't wait to try out. As you know, I've been experimenting with MS - Suppression Fire, and last night as I was perusing the AH for a cold HA SoJ I happened upon an MS one with 4 m left and a bid of only 1900 gold. So I picked it up.

Now this has got me to thinking, why not not drop Bat for Punishment and spam Suppression Fire with a cold SoJ. As it is already, I have more than enough disc to Shadow Glide everywhere, thus it shouldn't be too difficult to fuel Punishment, especially since the hatred is immediately converted to disc.

P.S. I would use HA - SoT as my generator, but it would play second fiddle to MS.

Nice! Excited to see how it turns out for you!.
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 6/19/2013 9:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Thing is that, I dunno if "average people" can do this w/o any way of gaining discipline. Nyan is a rebel, and DiE likes rebels :)

Likr for example: if someone had 100-150m budget with a naked DH, can he/she use this build? As well the fact that you have only ur 1 dis per second to rely on makes Nyan a bit uneasy lol. Maybe replace MfD or RoV with prep? I got like 250k dps on a calamity lol maybe lower.
Reply Quote
Thing is that, I dunno if "average people" can do this w/o any way of gaining discipline. Nyan is a rebel, and DiE likes rebels :)

Likr for example: if someone had 100-150m budget with a naked DH, can he/she use this build? As well the fact that you have only ur 1 dis per second to rely on makes Nyan a bit uneasy lol. Maybe replace MfD or RoV with prep? I got like 250k dps on a calamity lol maybe lower.

Lol, I know. It's why I stated in the video that mark and RoV are merely preferences of mine and I don't expect everyone to slot them in place of defensive skills.

As long as SoT, scatter, and turrets are involved with the passives shown, all else is fair game. I'd recommend gloom, vault, and prep for the other 3 slots for someone not accustomed to ranged play.

P.S. I made note of this in the OP, just for you Nyan :D
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 6/19/2013 9:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
As well, the build is very gear dependant, in fact a bit too much. Finding a cold SoJ w/ hungering arrow/decent bonus vs elites is like finding waldo.

Also thinking about trying to do something like ur build but as a tank (no steady aim). Like using chain of torment :)
Reply Quote
As well, the build is very gear dependant, in fact a bit too much. Finding a cold SoJ w/ hungering arrow/decent bonus vs elites is like finding waldo.

Not necessarily. At least 25% to E's with cold will be just fine and as long as you aren't looking for 29 to 30%, they are relatively inexpensive. Also as mentioned earlier in the thread, you can go for a spike trap cold soj (much easier to search for) for a bit cheaper as well.

Also thinking about trying to do something like ur build but as a tank (no steady aim). Like using chain of torment :)

Doing more nyan things I see :P
Reply Quote
View profile
2ndly, I would like to point out that ur build can actually keep up with my 700k dps RF l4n build xD

Maybe u should quote that xD
Reply Quote
nice vids and thanks for sharing all your work :)
I have one question about your SOJ vs rare ring.
With your SOJ you do a bit more dmg but you also lose 4.5cc so you crit slightly less.
That said, I'm not sure if it is more effective than your yellow ring?
Why I'm asking that? because let's say out of 10 shots,
with SOJ, you crit 4 times at 450k dmg, you do 1.8m overall dmg;
with rare, you crit 5 times at 400k dmg, you do 2m overall dmg.

Do you feel killing faster with your SOJ than your yellow ring?
Reply Quote
View profile
SoJ also gives him 15% damage boost since its cold elemental.
Reply Quote
with soj you'll stille crush white mobs but you do way more damage vs elites
Reply Quote
View profile
I gave this a go with a couple of slight modifications.

I couldn't find a Hungering Arrow SoJ, so I equipped an Elemental Arrow one and slotted Nether Tentacles.

NT gives me 3% LS on top of the 3% LS on my Windforce, so I dropped Gloom altogether in favor of Bat Companion for Hatred regen.

For turrets, I decided to give Chain of Torment a try, since the chain proc's cold.

The end result was effective, tactical, and fun.

Nether Tentacles provided solid AoE dmg with its piercing nature, and was my primary source of health. A few rounds would slow a mob down.

Hungering Arrow did solid damage, decent AoE, and proc'd cold for free.

Chain of Torment would put the brakes on any mob, and really came in handy with the FoM cattle (while adding a bit of dps)

Just wanted to share.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]