Sticky Spikes, Sticky Trap Build

This is a SS build you use
Sharpshooter
Spike Trap = Sticky Trap
Caltrops = Jagged Spikes
Smoke Screen
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#PQgYXV!TbU!cZcbcc

updated:
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
After many different testing this will be the final build of Sticky Spikes
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#jQXYhV!TbU!YZcbbc
depending on your dps, I was able to buff my dps to 560k and deal 1.1~1.3m per blast. Making Sticky Spikes MP10 valid. Use Shadow Power instead of Smoke Screen if you have problem surviving.

And if you have enough dps then please go with this
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#jQXYhV!Tbc!YZcbbc
Assuming you can melt white and elites under 6-10 seconds

Alternative build w/ a different kind of burst aoe
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#lQXYhV!TbU!.Zcbbc
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

With my unbuff 180k I can easily melt white and elites up to mp5. Weapon choice can be any weapon with HIGH Critical Hit Damage, a Life Steal weapon is preferred as it save you the cost to active Shadow Power. Do not think that the 2-3%LS on the weapon is enough, w/o 3k Life Regeneration you will kill yourself with Jagged Spikes against Reflect elites. My spikes hits on average 70k, 10% of that is 7k, if you have 80% reduction it will hit you as 1.4k per tick per trap, if you got 5 out, I hope you are not playing HC. You do not need high aps or cc but you do need a lot of Discipline.

Keep in mind you need these requirements from gear
60-80 Discipline
40-50 Critical Hit Chance (preferred)
As much Critical Hit Damage as possible (dual-wield)
The more Life/Armor/Resistance you have the better, as you will be running in melee range.

Skill Selection Overview

Spike Trap = Sticky Trap
This is the ONLY Hatred Spender you need in this build, so you do not need bat or any Hatred Regn on gear. Assume you melt away your enemies in 8 seconds, then you gain 32 Hatred ready for your next attack.

Caltrops = Jagged Spikes
This is your primary damage dealer. This is a Discipline Attack it does not proc Night Stalker and Sharpshooter. You can ONLY have 5 active Jagged Spikes out on the field, this also mean you can only lay 5 down at any time. If you lay any new one down an old one will disappear.
**Blizz nerf the number to only "5" active instead of 10.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/patch-notes/1-0-3
This patch note states the effect only stack up to 10 times, but you can't even have 10 out at once. I don't know when they make the change. But you can't have 10 out anymore.

Smoke Screen
This is your secondary damage dealer. This is a Discipline Attack it does not proc Night Stalker and Sharpshooter. It does not stack in the same position. Its range is 3 yard. But it is your highest damage dealer for a single target. Most heavy looking mobs with a lot of HP are slow, this attack will take it down quickly.
This is your safety backup. You can active Smoke Screen to get you out crowd control effects, such as Knockback, Slow, Freeze, etc.

Preparation
Backup Plan or Invigoration is preferred as these 2 give you the most Discipline when you run out. Reload as often as you need to, stop for the cooldown, if you think you are not ready.

Optional Skills

Shadow Power
Life Steal back up. I'm using Shadow Glide for the +30% movement speed bonus as while.

Companion/Sentry
These Unit do not crit, therefore do not reset your cc bonus from Sharpshooter. They will increase your overall dps. Companion also act as a decoy to draw attention off you. If you want safety use Compaion (Spider, Boar, or Wolf), if you want power use Sentry.

Cluster Arrow = Loaded for Bear/
Elemental Arrow = Ball Lightning
Range Hatred Waster. I'm calling these Waster, as you want to shot as many in one go so they will crit and can deal the most damage before your cc bonus resets. I prefer Cluster Arrow because you can just blast at the mobs after you set up your Sticky Trap and see them all die while keeping your range.

Passive Skills

Sharpshooter
You need this to get the 100% Critical Hit Damage. I don't need to explain more do I?

Custom Engineering
To optimize this build, this is a must. This skill save you the need to re-cast, and in the longer runs you are saving yourself a lot of Discipline. The skill also increase the number of traps you can lay, as Spike Trap = Sticky Trap do not stack on the same target.

Optional Passive

Vengeance
Discipline Regain Passive, +2 Discipline. If you can move quickly and have a good range of pickup yard this is the quickest way to refill your Discipline.

Night Stalker
Discipline Regain Passive, +1 Discipline per target per crit. JS and CG do not proc NS, but ST will. Sticky Trap proc is 50% and its range is 16 yard. The more mob you can get around the bomb the more likely you will regain your Discipline.

Cull the Weak
Jagged Spikes "snare" = "slowed" so each of your attacks are increase by 15%. If you would like to play all damage, you are more than welcome to use this skill.

How to Play

The build is very simple. You run up to the mobs and lay down Jagged Spikes and watch them die. To save you Discipline, you can place Sticky Trap on multiple mobs and let them come to you, gather them up and have them run over your Jagged Spikes. Kill them all off at the same time with the help of your Range Hatred Waster or wait for your Pet or Sentry to finish them off.
When you see Elites, that follow by a bunch of minions, lay the trap on those, when they die they all die.

edit: fixed a section
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 8/8/2013 5:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hmm interesting. I should try on my SS gear I'm wearing :P
Reply Quote
I love Sticky Bomb, I'll try this out.
Reply Quote
06/19/2013 05:38 AMPosted by RedCell
I love Sticky Bomb, I'll try this out.

Ur nyan likes sticky bombs. I could try in l4n as well for more nyan. Then again nyan snapshotting with straft on mp5 rapes lol.
Reply Quote
You gotta show me :)
Reply Quote
06/19/2013 01:32 PMPosted by ActionKungfu
You gotta show me :)

my dps on HC won't melt these, but my SC one do, I can still show you how I'm playing the build, if I see you around, I will go join you.
Reply Quote
The forums ain't ready for builds like this yet.
Reply Quote
06/20/2013 01:15 PMPosted by ActionKungfu

I can tell, as people are following the RF trend, but

I like to play with disc and use it to attack, and this build is fun, when you can gather 40~60 mobs and look at them all blow when sticky trap goes.
Reply Quote

I can tell, as people are following the RF trend, but

I like to play with disc and use it to attack, and this build is fun, when you can gather 40~60 mobs and look at them all blow when sticky trap goes.

You and SteveC will pretty much get along..

He pioneered, I think, the non-Hatred Build.. Like.. ALL skills are Blue.. and that was even BEFORE the ToC bug.. The ToC bug made it much much better though until it was fixed.

EDIT: Btw, have you tried using Chains of Torment? It can snapshot your Shadow Power's lifesteal and could be a nice source of constant LS/LoH(if you have one)
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 6/24/2013 9:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So I did a run without Vengeance and it's horrible, run out of hatred to use sticky traps, and slowed the my killing speed.

The beauty of this build is to see mobs within 40 yard all die at the same time. You can place the trap on the edge of the mobs, run full circle around and sticking on each that are 10 yard apart. Without sticky traps you don't see this, all you see are slow moving mobs dying as they try to approach you as you move back with jagged spikes laying 10 yard from each other.
Reply Quote
updated skill list for perfecting the edps of Sticky Spikes.
Reply Quote
I just popped in here to say that the thread title MUST be amended to the following, as well as the name of your build.
(it was your thread title that provided the motivation)

STICKY SPICY TRAP-A-BALLS

please please someone else love small town security as much as I do, and everyone else should.
Reply Quote
I incorporated Sticky in my build..

Volatile + EA-Nether + Sticky is very nice >_<
Reply Quote
Using this one.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WkQhdi!eYc!aaZYbc

You pretty much use Cold SoJ >_<

What happens is.. I tag the one in the middle of the mob, spray it with NT to proc LS and KB and also to proc Cold SoJ.. once the tagged enemy dies.. Things just fly.

It supplied the needed AoE i was looking for >_<

As for elites with RD, I just let my 150k-200k DPS Sentry deal with them.
Reply Quote
How do you kill elites without trash mobs around them on mp10?

Even the minions are quite tough to kill within the sticky trap time and blue mobs are even worse.
Edited by Sugo#1758 on 7/8/2013 9:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
How do you kill elites without trash mobs around them on mp10?

Even the minions are quite tough to kill within the sticky trap time and blue mobs are even worse.

I have Smoke Screen and Jagged Spike. Smoke works better with spider, boar, or wolf. The pets also keep the elites near your traps. If you want another attack use Sentry instead of Companion. But this is not an aps build, as Jagged Spike and Choking Gas does not scale with your aps. I recommend having 1.6-2.1 is enough.

The higher the aps you have the better as if you have 3.01 aps than you shot 3 rounds of multishot in the end of your trap cycle, or make use of some very powerful sentries.

The white minion dies pretty quickly, but if they are fast and runs around a lot the sticky traps does not work very well. If you want to kill blue fast, you need to stay close to your target, getting a shielding pack tends to waste up your resource.
Reply Quote
Chains of Torment might help since you'll be in melee range.
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 10:18 AMPosted by Chrizzle
Chains of Torment might help since you'll be in melee range.

I need to try this, but I don't think it will do much, because I don't play at melee range but I will be in that range when I place the traps.

After testing it... it doesn't work with my style of runs. The sentry can attack range and melee mobs, the chain can only attack melee mobs.
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 9/10/2013 11:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]