Diablo® III

Elite/Champ Affixes - Rapid Fire problems

Vortex- Get sucked in, cancels Channeling.

Waller - if placed directly at you, which they usually do, your shots won't hit and needs to re-position.... but can't without Vault and sometimes, even with Vault, you can't.

Nightmarish and Knockback- combo'ed with any affix like Molten, Electrified, Plague, Firechains pretty much cancels your Channeling and positioning.

Frozen- annoying to an extent but can be DODGED and can be bypassed via Smokescreen.. so it's not that much of a problem until they spam it like there's no tomorrow.

So far.. how'd you guys deal with that?

So far:

Vault to reposition.

Smokescreen to.. both reposition and avoid certain deadly situations

Mitigations?

Re-channeling RF and popping Shadow Power takes it toll when 3 elites keeps on Vortexing you and stuff. LOL

Share your ideas people ;)
Reply Quote
View profile
SMOKE SCREEN

I don't use vault when I channel, you use smoke. For your example of frozen orb, I only active smoke when I see more than 3 orb hitting me, if it is one, I just ignore it, 80% of the time it can be dodged. Vortex have a short action (looks like the mobs are taking a breath) time it and cast your skill.

Fear and Knockback all work the same, you need to "dodge" the attacks

When you hit Waller you either want to keep channeling or stop, depending on how will your RF build is.
Reply Quote
Right.. Yes, I do notice that on Vortex, but they sometimes chain cast their Affixes which is why it's quite annoying.

Frozen isn't really a problem.

As for Fear and KB, you can't really dodge while Channeling.. and then there's Molten/FireChains(can be dodged) and Plague that all can trigger KB.

I sure do wish they make Fear and KB to be only triggered by Elite/Champ normal attacks though.. but that's gimping the game too much.
Reply Quote
You forgot arcane orbs...they force you to reposition too.

Smokescreen is the answer.

The difficult part is that many DHs use Inna's chest piece and basically the DML is the only slot they can get Max Disc. DML has one random stat and 99% of the time people want high dex/vit rather than a Max disc roll due to the DPS/eHP benefits.

Getting max disc on the SoJ is a hard sell to many budget DHs due to the DPS loss. The very well geared DHs have so much DPS that they can use it without a problem.

So that leaves you with a Disc pool of 30 which the high cost of SS and Gloom gives you serious disc headaches.

Considerations:

1) Use Nat 4 set.
2) Use Prep or nightstalker or both. The benefit of prep depends on your disc pool, if you have 50disc then prep is great you don't need NS. If you have 30 disc then prep is of less value and NS becomes more relevant. Consider the focus mind rune for prep.
3) Save all your disc for SS or Gloom...don't use caltrops etc. in fights.
4) If you use NS, consider using a primary which has a high proc rate.

Up until recently I was using 4 Nat set with Prep Backup plan (50x2=100 disc pool even if backup plan doesn't proc) and I was basically abusing SS to counter most of the issues you listed.

I could get better stats by re-gearing (nat set has a pretty weak helm for example) so eventually I ditched the set.
Reply Quote
View profile
I still run Vault over Smokescreen.

In my opinion, the utility of Vault out weighs the benefits of Smokescreen.

Smokescreen really has only one major advantage over Vault, and that is the the ability avoid Frozen without breaking channel (and I suppose avoiding FoM cattle)

That being said, you give up major repositioning and movement capabilities when you drop Vault.

This is just my feeling, both are viable, and its really down to whatever the player is most comfortable with.
Reply Quote
One thing that might help with at least 3 of the 4 problems is to use Withering Fire. The reduced initial hatred cost makes stopping and starting Rapid Fire more economical. I use Vault also and find myself starting and stopping RF alot. The other runes are great of course, but if your DPS is high enough, Rapid Fire can be pretty effective with just the WF rune.
Edited by GoneTomorrow#1483 on 6/15/2013 12:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nightstalker and the fact that I run Bola:ID for most things and RF:FS when I HAVE to tank or get a single target fast. If I am using RF I am reasonably sure I will tank through the damage. I also run high hate gen on most items and bat so I don't care about having to stop and start with regard to hate cost.
Reply Quote
06/15/2013 12:33 PMPosted by Tropicalypso
Smokescreen really has only one major advantage over Vault, and that is the the ability avoid Frozen without breaking channel (and I suppose avoiding FoM cattle)

Depends on your EHP I suppose. I also use stay alive through arcane sentries or stacked desecrate without breaking channel and even the heavy one shot type melee attacks. If you can tank through it anyway then agree that vault is better.

All my Dh builds use either SS or vault as I always want a mobility skill for breaking CC etc.
Reply Quote
We all have our own ways of dealing with particularly nasty elites.

What i find saves me a few times from death is having decent crit chance as well having crit for RF on my DML. Using nightstalker i'm able to replenish my discipline which extends my survivability.

the problematic elites for me are ones that can break RF bundled with wall and reflect. at this point it's down to micro :P
Reply Quote
Anyone else notice the biggest problem: namely, that Missile Dampening ruins Bombardment?

I find the only way to kill an MD elite is to be in melee range, or to use my Bola shot (ugh).
Reply Quote
Its good to see that this thread somehow lived up to it's use.. In giving out info of each of every other DHs out there in how they deal with RF.
Reply Quote
If I have to reposition myself I just fire off a few Entangling Shot - Justice is Served while moving to refill my hatred quickly (works great). Nightstalker and a decent amount of Crit Chance keeps my Discipline full. Chakram - Shuriken Cloud with a Shadow Power snapshot boost keeps me healthly while I'm repositioning.
Reply Quote
Anyone else notice the biggest problem: namely, that Missile Dampening ruins Bombardment?

Saw that back when KW's first came out.
You have to make sure you used Dial Soap that morning so you can get up-close-and-personal.
Drop a caltrop or two, kite out of the way when he starts spinning.
(Well, that tacticed worked on MP1)
Reply Quote
Act 2 KW is kinda.. almost impossible to do with RF-Bombardment ONLY as your damage dealer(meaning nothing else on your skills can deal damage, except Bat Companion maybe).

Just stay near it, stop channeling when KW starts spinning.. problem is.. your missiles are slowed, hence might drop when KW's actually spinning..

It can be done with practice, me thinks XD

Will try.
Reply Quote
Actually i have started using shuriken cloud...it really helps survivability esp against elites that force you to reposition.

Bombardment has a delay when you change directions chakram keeps the LS up during thr delay.
Reply Quote
Actually i have started using shuriken cloud...it really helps survivability esp against elites that force you to reposition.

Bombardment has a delay when you change directions chakram keeps the LS up during thr delay.

I tried it with Multishot - Suppression

While Hatred would be a problem and Disc is also a problem whenever we are forced to re-channel and re-cast everything.. The 30 Hatred is quite used well since it'll LS and regain some Disc then just continue on with RF Channeling.
Reply Quote
That's the limitation of channeling skills for every single class except for barbs. The best way to due with this is to get high ehp and low attack speed so that you will survive from all the disables and have enough hatred to continue to dps.
Reply Quote
06/16/2013 10:36 PMPosted by GodIike
That's the limitation of channeling skills for every single class except for barbs. The best way to due with this is to get high ehp and low attack speed so that you will survive from all the disables and have enough hatred to continue to dps.

Hence..

The 2H XBow build with the least APS on gears possible but with +Max Disc.

Then Prep-Backup Plan/Punishmet, Bat Companion, RF-Bomb, SP-Nightbane, Caltrops-Bait, with 1 more skill open for changes.. It can be Mortal Enemy or Shuriken Cloud.. or whatever you might need.

Passives are CtW, Archery and Steady Aim since it snapshots the SA and Archery.. or remove one for NS.

^_^
Reply Quote
Agree with all of the above...also if you want to drop a passive for NS drop archery...it only adds 9% dps for a reasonably geared dh assuming that you have 450cd anyway.

Steady aim is a must. The beauty of rf compared to most tank builds is ability to snapshot steady aim
Reply Quote
For the above i mean for a xbow user

A one hanf xbow user gets more for archery assuming 50%cc...i think 12% more dps in many cases

A bow user gets the most out of archery with flat 15
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]