Diablo® III

Why I believe the DH eDPS is ignored by devs

I would like to state that this is my opinion.

Simply put in a nutshell, whilst looking through the DH there doesn't seem to be a real consensus on what is wrong with the DH.
When issues with certain skills are raised others jump in and say things like"
"You just don;t know how to play the DH, I am fine and have no problems in MP10, I use this......"
or
"You are geared wrongly, go buy some knew gear and try this........"
or
"I have no problem, because I have insane DPS and can kill anything no matter what skills I put together"

Well the last one I read between the lines.

Personally I find that my DH is not as strong and viable as when I use my monk with some of my DH gear.

In comparison my monk can do MP10 easily, ( to stress that is in group play with four players, solo not bad, ) and my DH whom I love to play can not.

Does anyone else feel this?
Reply Quote
The problem is that Demon Hunters play exactly opposite of how they are supposed to. We are supposed to a glass cannon that sprints from mob to mob dropping nukes, while in reality we are the class that laughs in the face of death, for we are the immortal.

All the developers need to do to fix Demon Hunters is change Shadow Power from +15% LS to +50% damage and add a 20-30 second cooldown. (all numbers negotiable)

Less Tank, More Spank
Edited by iTzSnypah#1696 on 6/15/2013 6:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't...

dps, edps, pdps, they are not part of the dev's dictionary, players came up with them.
The devs #1 concern is "why are they not using this skill."

They made something and have pride in it but they don't know why players don't think the same way as them.

If I geared my monk, the same way as my dh it will easily die even at mp1. The current gear on my monk are all downgrades I have off my dh except the the full set of inna I found, and the weapons I bought. My monk can do mp8, but that is about it, the dps is not great so I wouldn't even put it there, I would run it in mp3. But my dh can run mp10 elite kill time is 40-70 seconds.
Reply Quote
dps, edps, pdps, they are not part of the dev's dictionary, players came up with them.
The devs #1 concern is "why are they not using this skill."

I agree with this. The problem isn't really ignored, because Wyatt Cheng talked about it on a stream. He said "eDPS" and talked about the video where a monk kills everything way much faster than a DH with the same gear.

I think that they are maybe discussing what to do with that, and not just buffing an unused skill just like they usually do.
Reply Quote
I tend to play a Glass cannon DH and can do MP 8-10 reasonably efficiently on my own, but when teamed with 3 other players something seems to happen, which makes my DH sluggish to respond and unless I resort to tanking I can not control the mobs.

To me the DH is much more sensitive to latency and group influence than my monk.
My monk is by no means well balanced using my DH gear, but in comparison he is much less sensitive to mob attacks and his survivability is far superior.

If I can not get my DH away quickly enough then I can not play ranged successfully.

I want to play a ranged DH but when I do at times, the killing speed is laughable compared to what my monk can do.

Oh, can someone please explain why we can not change skill runes when faced with demons requiring a different skill setup, without loosing our NV's ? I feel it is something that should be allowed when doing key runs and ubers. Why do we have to commit ourselves at the start of a game? Wouldn't it make the game more varied by removing that constraint?

Thanks for your replies guys.
Reply Quote
The only reason for losing NV stacks is to emulate some sort of build "permanence".

Sure, it's annoying, but it makes you think about your builds, versus switching on a whim.
Reply Quote
The only reason for losing NV stacks is to emulate some sort of build "permanence".

Sure, it's annoying, but it makes you think about your builds, versus switching on a whim.

I don't see it that way. I believe we should be able to swap skill runes during a game without incurring the NV loss penalty. We have an arsenal of skills but can't use them when we need to. Various demons require different skill sets. Why not use those skills?

After all we nurtured our hero through the skills progression tree and have been granted those skills to be used as we see fit.

Loss of NV buffs after changing skills seems counter productive to me.
Reply Quote

I don't see it that way. I believe we should be able to swap skill runes during a game without incurring the NV loss penalty. We have an arsenal of skills but can't use them when we need to. Various demons require different skill sets. Why not use those skills?

After all we nurtured our hero through the skills progression tree and have been granted those skills to be used as we see fit.

Loss of NV buffs after changing skills seems counter productive to me.

Here's the thing about NV. I was here when they first introduced this system and do you know what it was that precipitated this? Players complaining about the lack of build permanence is what. So, in other words, we wouldn't even have NV if it weren't for the permanence crowd, of which I wasn't a part.

When they introduced it, it was almost universally hailed as great move that benefited everyone and made a subset of the population happy.
Reply Quote
Here's the thing about NV. I was here when they first introduced this system and do you know what it was that precipitated this? Players complaining about the lack of build permanence is what. So, in other words, we wouldn't even have NV if it weren't for the permanence crowd, of which I wasn't a part.

When they introduced it, it was almost universally hailed as great move that benefited everyone and made a subset of the population happy.

Exactly, whatever Blizzard does, there will always be someone to say it's a terrible choice, even if it's not.

I was agreeing with you on the eDPS thing, but on this... People want a skill tree. Blizzard thinks that a skill tree is not that great (I agree too), cause at first, you're like all excited and stuff because you have opportunities and choices, but only two scenarios will occur: 1. You find on the first try a great build and you kill everything just fine. Or 2. You die all the time, you have to restart your character, so you go on the internet and follow the build that everyone uses.

I like the D3 rune system, as you can play around builds when you want to (in town mostly), and adapt to the play style you feel like playing (exploding palm monk today, or cyclone strike?).

NV is like the devs saying: "Okay, you can choose any build you want, but I advise you to choose wisely, as you want to have something that is adaptive for what you may encounter." On your side, you are in a way brought back to the feeling of D2 (on a small level): you have to choose wisely what your skills will be for the next 30-60 minutes.

And if you don't like it, you can still go to town and change them. It's just NV after all? Who cares really? The economy is screwed, and most of your drops will suck anyway so...

Just have fun man. But yeah, NV is a great compromise from Blizzard, between what they think is the best for the game and what the players want. Still, it would be best if they add some kind of point systems with paragon level: you're paragon 10, you have 1 point to enhance a skill (like you can still use any other rune or skill, but this one will be a bit better than before).
Reply Quote
This is because devs are still throwing arcane balls with wizard and darts with witch doctor. So when comparing with dh, they actually think that dh is in the right place.
Reply Quote
06/16/2013 05:31 PMPosted by GodIike
This is because devs are still throwing arcane balls with wizard and darts with witch doctor. So when comparing with dh, they actually think that dh is in the right place.

nice haha
Reply Quote
06/16/2013 05:31 PMPosted by GodIike

True dat
Reply Quote
Change one of the Shadow Power's runes to something that removes LS but gives Bonus damage? That might give something to choose from.. or not >_<

Or lowered LS for Bonus Damage :)
Reply Quote
All the developers need to do to fix Demon Hunters is change Shadow Power from +15% LS to +50% damage and add a 20-30 second cooldown. (all numbers negotiable)

You got it wrong. They need to remove the LS, add a 120 second cooldown, 10% CC, 25% IAS, 20% Runspeed, 20% Dodge and CC immunity. And they need to add a rune that increases duration of the spell for 1 second for every 3 or 4 discipline gained ;)
Edited by Poekel#2407 on 6/17/2013 12:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote

You got it wrong. They need to remove the LS, add a 120 second cooldown, 10% CC, 25% IAS, 20% Runspeed, 20% Dodge and CC immunity. And they need to add a rune that increases duration of the spell for 1 second for every 3 or 4 discipline gained ;)

Barbie much? XD Still.. something like that is welcome ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]