Diablo® III

SoJ worth it?

I notice alot of DHs with SoJs. I bought one recently for about 2 mil and when i equip it i lose 40kish dps. Is the additonal arcane/elite dmg + additional discipline worth it? What's your guys opinion.
Reply Quote
I think it is totally worth it to get a cold SoJ. The thing with a cold SoJ is, you can use it to proc Cull the Weak.
Reply Quote
Even if it ain't Cold SoJ.. it's good.

Example.. you have 120k DPS with 2 Rare Rings..

You removed 1 and got your DPS lowered to 100k. Equipped a +30% SoJ though.

What will happen is you'll now deal 130k DPS on Elites and 100k DPS on Normal monsters.

Since Elites have higher HP in general, the reduction in DPS is hardly noticeable.

The higher DPS you get to, the higher SoJ can out DPS a Rare Ring..

Now if you're dealing 150k with 2 Rare Rings, removed 1 rare ring and lost 60k(theoretically), equipped 21% SoJ, you'd be on a loss.
Reply Quote
Well, it's good if you can kill white mobs pretty fast with your current dps and if you are able drop a little bit of paper dps and still kill white trash mobs then you can get a SOJ for faster killing of elites. If you can't kill white trash mobs as fast as you'd like, then I wouldn't recommend using one until you can kill them comfortably.

Have to factor in if you are willing to sacrifice ehp, speed, cd and cc etc for a SOJ too. I lost IAS when I first got my SOJ and it dropped my BP for rapid fire. I had to bump up the IAS with another gear to bring my BP back up.

The extra discipline is nice, I've learned and see why having more is a good thing to have.
Edited by vNaK#1804 on 6/16/2013 8:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes, absolutely it's a good idea. Make sure to get one with 30% bonus vs elites tho, and have a skill bonus with the skill that you use most.

An SoJ will usually boost your dps against elites by about 15% over a rare or legendary ring.
Reply Quote
the cold damage proc would only work for cull the weak if you have a black weapon right?
Reply Quote
06/17/2013 04:22 AMPosted by Bodycount
the cold damage proc would only work for cull the weak if you have a black weapon right?

No, if a skill of yours deals "WEAPON DAMAGE" on its description.. There are some other skills that still procs Cold SoJ but doesn't have "WEAPON DAMAGE" on its description. Search for the compilation, there's one ^_^

If you look at your weapons, you'll see that some will deal +xx Fire Damage or something, but those still deal "black" damage.

But the Black Damage benefits more than anything else from +x% Cold Bonus of the SoJ.
Reply Quote
Interesting, thanks for the advice. My personal set up is if i remove my unity for the soj id go from about 280kish dps to 242k or something, but i dont notice a huge diff. my soj has arcane dmg, 29elite dmg, 9 to discipline and some bola shot dmg if that makes a diff.
Reply Quote
06/17/2013 05:42 AMPosted by FallenElite
Interesting, thanks for the advice. My personal set up is if i remove my unity for the soj id go from about 280kish dps to 242k or something, but i dont notice a huge diff. my soj has arcane dmg, 29elite dmg, 9 to discipline and some bola shot dmg if that makes a diff.

On elites? You'll notice a change when dealing damage with trash and elites.
Reply Quote
Don't bother with cold SoJ unless you know the attacks you will use are black damage
Reply Quote
I just bought one and tried it out. I lost 3k HP and 40k DPS. I really didn't notice a big change running MP 8. I'll play with it some more tomorrow.
Reply Quote
06/17/2013 07:43 PMPosted by Snizard
I just bought one and tried it out. I lost 3k HP and 40k DPS. I really didn't notice a big change running MP 8. I'll play with it some more tomorrow.

Bro, you got the wrong SOJ. +5% Grenade damage just not appealing. Get a max 12% dmg and 6% bonus elemental dmg and you will see the big difference.

I m a SOJ freak with 24 top end ring with perfect 30% elite dmg and max skill dmg sitting in my stash. It is just too good to be ignored.

http://i.imgur.com/iOc2pgP.jpg
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 02:01 AMPosted by Cameo

Bro, you got the wrong SOJ. +5% Grenade damage just not appealing. Get a max 12% dmg and 6% bonus elemental dmg and you will see the big difference.

I m a SOJ freak with 24 top end ring with perfect 30% elite dmg and max skill dmg sitting in my stash. It is just too good to be ignored.

http://i.imgur.com/iOc2pgP.jpg

Your horde of SOJ is impressive and you live up to the name of SOJ freak LOL. I have only 3 and none has a perfect roll
Reply Quote
When I bought mine last night I only had 3 mil. lol. I sold an Inna's chest this morning so after the servers come up I'll look for a better one. Thanks for the info. When you say 12% max damage what do you mean?
Edited by Snizard#1358 on 6/18/2013 4:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 04:46 AMPosted by Snizard
When I bought mine last night I only had 3 mil. lol. I sold an Inna's chest this morning so after the servers come up I'll look for a better one. Thanks for the info. When you say 12% max damage what do you mean?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/ring/#type=legendary

Price go according the the stats. The stats for grenade dmg is from 5%-12%. There is also huge price difference between 6% elemental dmg compared to 5% dmg.
Reply Quote
Gotcha. thanks again. :)
Reply Quote
I found one with 6% lightning damage and 10% grenades damage. Now I see a difference when fighting Elites. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]