Diablo® III

Started playin D2 again...

06/18/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Hamstrings
Play D2 single player, and you will thoroughly enjoy the game. I promise.

I never cared for D2 personally because it was way too much of a spam fest. I think D3 combat is just loads better than D2 and for this type of game that is the most important part to me. I did try to go back and play it again the first time I quit D3 but the graphics made my eyes bleed since they were below average when the game came out and now it is just painful.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Are you kidding? I haven't played in about a year, but most of my items were self found. I would gear myself off of Mephisto, move one to Nightmare Mephisto, and then finally Hell Mephisto. The crap you are talking about was super useful. Sigon's and Isenharts were both worth wearing as I would level my characters, and some of the low level uniques (Frostburns, Magefist, Skin of the Vipermagi, etc.) were actually useful on Hell mode, which is more than you can say about the awful low level uniques in Diablo 3. Runes and runewords were vastly duped, but runewords were not needed to farm effectively.

Diablo 3 didn't need farming to get to inferno(you did have to farm in inferno to progress though).

Diablo 3 and 2 have different ways of twinking, diablo 3 by gems, diablo 2 by completed sets.

The flaw of diablo 3 is the item level floor thus you can't get those low level sets in inferno. Although, in diablo 2 it was highly annoying getting yet another isenhart's breastplate.
Edited by Venom#1391 on 6/18/2013 1:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Try PoE, it is the closest I've seen to D2 even though it is heavy with flaws of its own.

Closest diablo 2 clone I would say is titan quest. POE is too item driven.
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 01:42 PMPosted by Doc
You're playing Diablo 2 right....? Not LOD. because if it's LoD then your doing it wrong. You would need to play D3's expansion prior to writing up a valid review. So if this is indeed the case, this is just another !@#$%y D2 ^-*!@ post.

1. You're wrong. He is playing LoD.

Well it has been about 14 months, since I played LOD. IIRC there is no Tristan perse in LOD. It has New Tristan.

LOD was out at about the 1 year mark from D2, so D3 can be compared to it fairly as they have had the same amount of time, but have done little and won't till next year.
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 01:46 PMPosted by Ender
If they made a game aimed only at D2 players it would have been a flop because it would have appealed to such a small part of their entire market.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but majority of D3 buyers were D2 fans, this is why it would have been a success even if they aimed for only D2 playerbase. I agree that eyecandy and visceral combat attracted more customers but still it was all for D2 success.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 didn't need farming to get to inferno(you did have to farm in inferno to progress though).

Diablo 3 and 2 have different ways of twinking, diablo 3 by gems, diablo 2 by completed sets.

The flaw of diablo 3 is the item level floor thus you can't get those low level sets in inferno. Although, in diablo 2 it was highly annoying getting yet another isenhart's breastplate.

Honestly, I think the biggest mistake in Diablo 3 was making the item hunt take place in Inferno. If the item hunt was in Hell mode, Inferno could have been as hard as they wanted it to be. The people (like myself) that love Diablo for the item hunt would have been able to do so without worrying about Inferno mode, and the people who wanted the challenge would have had one. Inferno should rightly have had some increased drop rates, but I should be able to find anything in Act IV of Hell mode.

I would have loved to spend some time in Hell building my character up, and then seeing how far I could make it into Inferno before I needed to gear some more.
Reply Quote
I love D2 classic. People use the "D2 was a joke before LOD" argument, but Guinness world records disagrees with you.
Edited by SuperduperJW#1263 on 6/18/2013 2:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
When the d3 servers are down I just hop on d2 and play single player. Good way to enjoy the hours upon hours of waiting for the servers.
Reply Quote
"I disagree. It is a good game but Donkey Kong is the best game ever."
Reply Quote
I agree to disagree but i do agree Donkey Kong is a great game.

Its on like donkey kong!
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 01:29 PMPosted by Shadovex
You're playing Diablo 2 right....? Not LOD. because if it's LoD then your doing it wrong. You would need to play D3's expansion prior to writing up a valid review. So if this is indeed the case, this is just another !@#$%y D2 ^-*!@ post.

Diablo 2 released June 29, 2000
Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction released June 29, 2001

It took Blizzard North exactly 1 year to release the expansion that made the game so great (keep in mind that D2 was already a great game).

It has taken Blizzard more than 1 year AFTER D3's release to get the game to an acceptable D2 standard (if you can even call it that, since there are still so many problems). Keep in mind that this is after 10 years of development, and already having a SOLID model to work with.

Why do we need to wait for D3's expansion to compare it to D2:LoD?
Reply Quote
If they made a game aimed only at D2 players it would have been a flop because it would have appealed to such a small part of their entire market.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but majority of D3 buyers were D2 fans, this is why it would have been a success even if they aimed for only D2 playerbase. I agree that eyecandy and visceral combat attracted more customers but still it was all for D2 success.

No, the majority of D3 buyers were WoW fans. It just happens that a lot of WoW fans also played D2. This is painfully obvious just from looking at the game, it is basically WoW set in the D2 universe and with aRPG constraints put on it. Every significant change made from D2 to D3 was directly taken from WoW. Every decision from the skill system to the smaller zones, to the linear story etc are all pulled right from WoW. That is what the majority of gamers want these days and it is what the majority of games are like. Companies build games for their current fan base, not for one that existed over 10 years ago.
Edited by Ender#1738 on 6/18/2013 2:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Posted by Shadovex

Nah... Diablo 3 should have been better from the start than d2 or at least as good as the d2 LoD expansion. But guess what? It wasn't and isn't. The only thing d3 has on d2 classic or d2 LoD is graphics really.

That is all
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 02:17 PMPosted by Croy
The only thing d3 has on d2 classic or d2 LoD is graphics really.

I am going to have to disagree. The skill system I feel is nice. being able to change your skills at any given time rather than have to respec entirely or even roll a new character. This to me is definitely better.
Reply Quote
I think the biggest mistake in Diablo 3 was making the item hunt take place in Inferno. If the item hunt was in Hell mode, Inferno could have been as hard as they wanted it to be.

Exactly they wanted a super hard mode that was not for every player but when D3 released ilvl 63 items(The only good legends/sets) only dropped in act3-4 inferno, no common sense.
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 02:20 PMPosted by TheHonorabIe
I am going to have to disagree. The skill system I feel is nice. being able to change your skills at any given time rather than have to respec entirely or even roll a new character. This to me is definitely better.

I tend to agree its kind of nice to be able to switch things up at a moments notice but i prefer a system where your decisions and choices are more lasting and meaningful and to go back on ones decision has a cost. Current system is to easy/childish. no offense
Edited by Croy#1972 on 6/18/2013 2:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Anyone experiencing character speed being too fast in D2 LOD? It's unplayable because my characters running, etc. is super fast. Setting to walk mode does not help.

The game played fine on this same system before D3 was loaded. Can't say for sure if it started right after the install or some time later.

I've searched around and don't see anyone else complaining of this type problem. I'd like to be able to play it again during all these down times. I've not tried a re-install yet.
Thanks for any guidance.
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 02:20 PMPosted by TheHonorabIe
The only thing d3 has on d2 classic or d2 LoD is graphics really.

Imagine if there was an actual character-defining CHOICE.

If there were 50 skills for each character -- and you only could pick 15, and of those, only "equip" 8.

That's one "simple" way to fix the lack of character development.

(You can call it "the D&D way")
Reply Quote
Anyone experiencing character speed being too fast in D2 LOD? It's unplayable because my characters running, etc. is super fast. Setting to walk mode does not help.

The game played fine on this same system before D3 was loaded. Can't say for sure if it started right after the install or some time later.

I've searched around and don't see anyone else complaining of this type problem. I'd like to be able to play it again during all these down times. I've not tried a re-install yet.
Thanks for any guidance.

First thing i would do is rightclick your d2 shortcut and setup to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP service pack 2 or maybe 3. Also run as administrator

single player? If you are your computer might be to fast or your CPU speed needs to be turned down via something like dosbox. I am only guessing here.

If its happening online as well i would guess it might be something to do with your internet connection. Sometimes these older games react a little differently to todays fast ISP's or your isp is not so fast or experiencing some form of lag or latency/packet loss.

Open a command prompt Start -> CMD -> Ping www.google.com -t

If you see time outs a lot and high ping times over 250ms+ i would say its your ISP or something on your end like router or cordless phone interference.
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 02:33 PMPosted by Frostraven

Imagine if there was an actual character-defining CHOICE.

If there were 50 skills for each character -- and you only could pick 15, and of those, only "equip" 8.

That's one "simple" way to fix the lack of character development.

(You can call it "the D&D way")

That is how it works now... oh you meant imagine it was permanent so you had to reroll if you wanted to try a different setup. Players disliked that so much in D2 they added respecs. I do personally enjoy it but the majority simply do not.

Point is with respecs in the current D2 this system is exactly the same as a tree system, it is just in 6 slots rather than in a pyramid. You have a bunch of things to choose from, you choose some things and only about 5 or 6 points in a skill pyramid actually matter just like with this one.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]