Diablo® III

Where did you get your gold from?

I've made the relatively modest amount of gold I have by selling items that aren't upgrades for any of my characters. I like to keep all of my upgrades, even if it means that the barb I never play randomly has my most valuable items.

Consequently, I've never had 100M in my bank account, though I've gotten close once or twice! :)
Reply Quote
06/19/2013 12:47 PMPosted by Opiate
Gold, what gold? I'm broke!

Haha my thoughts exactly. This thread is just like the other one that accused everyone of having GG!! =P

My own fault really. I could have sold those ice climbers... I really could. But then belial had my barb stuffed and hung on his trophy wall with those pretty boots still on.
Edited by Poxy#1672 on 6/19/2013 7:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I could have sold those ice climbers... I really could. But then belial had my barb stuffed and hung on his trophy wall with those pretty boots still on.

I still remember those boots. Those things were amazing. I think I encouraged you to keep them for yourself, which is what I would've done. I'd still give the same advice.

In retrospect, I may have also advised you not to try to tank Belial's poison pools. ;)
Reply Quote
The AH, almost all of it.
I don't prey on the ignorant (at least not intentionally). But my hardcore experience has shown there's a large portion of the player base who doesn't know how to properly price their items. And the rush of a good snipe is addictive to say the least :)
Reply Quote
Scratched and clawed for every penny -- selling tomes, farming, selling off unused gear, etc.

The only "score" I've had was a socketed Echoing Fury that went for 125m.

Two things working against my bankroll:

1) Character deaths. Several times I've blown my entire bank account on a piece of gear and got killed soon after

2) I've got 5 Paragon level characters, 4 of which I play routinely. It's VERY tough gearing 4 characters adequately and still have money in the bank
Reply Quote
View profile
Sold a Chantodo's wand for 550m when it was actually worth 800m-1b

Sold all 5 Inna's pants I've found (guess what? they were all crap)

Couple of offhand daggers for a couple hundred million

And a bunch of other !@#$ I sold on the AH
Reply Quote
View profile
The AH, almost all of it.
I don't prey on the ignorant (at least not intentionally). But my hardcore experience has shown there's a large portion of the player base who doesn't know how to properly price their items. And the rush of a good snipe is addictive to say the least :)

Seems like these are the same people who won't grab good deals when they see them.

I've been pushing the same pair of Ice Climbers worth ~100m for 75m, then 55m, then 40m, then 25m and nobody buys. Couple of weeks ago I was putting horse manure up for 200million and getting buyers but lately nobody has been buying !@#$ from me.
Reply Quote
Mostly from 5-15 mil sales from random good yellow items and mid-level legendaries like Unity ring, IK set pieces, etc...

Recently just found random legendaries that I forgot about that sold for about 100 mil, such as good Depth Diggers, a good rolled Zunimassa's Mojo, and things like that.

I've found 3 Zuni chest armors (I once read the forums about some other regular finding multiple Zuni armors and was jealous... here I am many months later enjoying that luck). They all sold for good amounts to fund good upgrades.

Nothing like logging in after work and seeing 100,000,000 or so from sales ready to be moved into stash.

In addition, I always try to buy upgrades that are reasonable in price, never splurge. So when time comes to replace that piece, I usually sell it for even more than I paid originally. So I'm constantly 100% invested and rising in value.
Reply Quote
Seems like these are the same people who won't grab good deals when they see them

I have to pay market value for any upgrade at this point. So don't blame me!
Reply Quote
^ Ah ha, you bought the Nat's Ring that I wanted. 94 Int! Though I've moved on from Nat rings since.
Reply Quote
Found a crit chance nats ring

^^
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I never had a lot of gold in HC, but most of my funds came early on from selling a nice Unity that enabled a few upgrades to my Witch Doctor. The remainder of that gold is just sitting in my bank, though, since I swapped to self found. I tend to avoid flipping (even when I'm on a character that uses the auction house), because I prefer the kind of progression that stems from grinding upgrades.
Reply Quote
I've made most of my gold from selling things I've found. I have never used a credit card. Just one thing about "flipping"...

1. The diablo series has always been about trading

2. Item flipping requires skill. Diablo 3 playing is mostly a game of chance and is a RNG based game. Additionally, since you can find BIS items in MP0, it is rather easy to acquire top loot without much "playing skills". Knowing item markets, pricing, and market trends is actually quite complex and a lot of fun
Reply Quote
I was extremely lucky and was doing an A2 MP4 or 5 run with some friends of mine and got a Zuni chest to drop. Stats were 149intl 228vit 12%life 79AR 3OS. It sold for 2bil :)

Other than that, I've never sold anything for more than 20mil and struggled to see more than 10-15mil saved up. The chances of me finding anything like that again are probably slim to none but I was very happy when I ID'd it!
Reply Quote
"Where did you get your gold from?"
Canada.....
Reply Quote
06/21/2013 09:44 AMPosted by Grimiku
I never had a lot of gold in HC, but most of my funds came early on from selling a nice Unity that enabled a few upgrades to my Witch Doctor. The remainder of that gold is just sitting in my bank, though, since I swapped to self found. I tend to avoid flipping (even when I'm on a character that uses the auction house), because I prefer the kind of progression that stems from grinding upgrades.

Always glad to hear from you, Grimiku! Personally, I'm in the same camp as you. I don't have a problem with people who flip items, but I don't do much of it myself (aside from selling old gear I'm replacing).

How many self-found characters do you have, and how many use the auction house?

I've made most of my gold from selling things I've found. I have never used a credit card. Just one thing about "flipping"...

1. The diablo series has always been about trading

2. Item flipping requires skill.

Oh, believe me, I know it does. It's a skill that I don't happen to have myself, but I have the utmost respect for people that do. That's why I specifically said in the OP that I didn't want people hating on flippers here...I didn't want this thread to turn into a huge flame war.
Reply Quote
What gold.
Reply Quote
06/19/2013 03:55 PMPosted by DeathbyDecaf
Gold, what gold? I'm broke!

06/19/2013 02:20 PMPosted by Lastre
the truth im totally broke

Here's a simple one.

Lots of low level characters craft for better equipment. So the price for NORMAL difficulty blacksmith crafting mats is actually HIGHER than inferno difficulty. I tested it without any MF gear, and not even my fastest character. In 10 minutes I found 22k gold worth of crafting mats by hauling trash outta act 3 normal... 10 minutes barely got me to 5 stacks of valor... so I imagine that 20 would triple that amount. And you don't have to be Superman to do it... and its safe as houses.

This is only really useful if you can't run Inferno for some reason. Running Act 1 MP1 I frequently pick up piles of 2k-3k gold plus tomes which sell for 7k-10k on the AH. I haven't timed it but I'm pretty sure I find more than 10 piles of gold and a book or 2 in 10 minutes of the Act 1 Inferno run :p

Plus as another poster said, you get chances at lottery winning drops as well
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/21/2013 12:39 PMPosted by WordMaster
How many self-found characters do you have, and how many use the auction house?

I have three self found characters. One is a SC DH, but is using an "account found" style. I don't know if that counts. The main character I'm focusing on now is a purely self found HC Barbarian who mostly plays solo. I'm still pretty low level (Act III Normal), but I've been strict with ensuring he doesn't use ill-begotten items or gold. The rest of my characters all use the gold auction house.
Reply Quote
My one goal in HC was to make it so if my main died, I'd be able to immediately start farming act 3 Inferno again. Each of my characters is Act 3 mp0 worthy (some higher).

As for my main, his gear is mostly self-found or crafted or given to me by a friend. The only bought items are the wep and the rings.

Without a doubt, my boots are the #1 item I found in this game. Maybe not the highest priced item I've ever found, but certainly my favourite.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]