Diablo® III

I hate to make this topic but .. ladder.....

ive commented previously but something else occured to me. i dont really care how high up in a ladder i am, i have a pretty top doc, paragon 100, high tier dps, but im not interested in constantly geting tiny upgrades to boost my way to the top of some arbitrary list. it was neat seeing progression for a while but i dont care much anymore, i know im decent.

but who will i play with? afterall, who plays non-ladder characters in D2? very few people.

this means that everyone who goes to the ladder will no longer be people i can play my p100 with, or even my monk, it invalidates all old gear.
afterall; you cannot have non-ladder characters playing with ladder characters any more than you can have softcore mixing with hardcore. imagine if as soon as a buddy of mine hit inferno on the ladder, he pairs up with me. i could quite literally carry anyone on mp5, and in that way, rush him to 100. that would invalidate any ladder statistics on levels, and he would also have huge mf and the *potential* to find better gear than the rest.

EDIT: a good way to do it, would be to reset the ladder the same idea items 2.0 comes out. it'll be like a brand new game at a time i would imagine all the die hards will be sick of it.

I think you hit on the 2 main points why there isn't and is a ladder reset in D3...

1st... There isn't a Ladder in D3, because... Having a ladder reset on a regular basis invalidates any characters & gear that was gained prior to that reset (i.e. it's worthless). This would be havoc to a game trying to keep any type of casual player base (if that is in their interest).

& 2nd... There is a Ladder in D3, because... Every time there is an itemization patch, or expansion, it creates a 'reset'. These will never be normally scheduled, and will be much further apart than any 'season'... but it will be a reset.
Reply Quote
Watch all the RMAH/Gold buyers rage when ladders are actually implemented...Buy a 250$ weapon and BANG...gone next week
Reply Quote
for those who are against ladder, so what are you guys still playing the game for? If you are worrying about not able to climb up to the top, what are the things that keep you playing this game that is meaningful in this current state of game?
Reply Quote
ladder only items? enough said for the introduction of ladder in Diablo.
Reply Quote
ive commented previously but something else occured to me. i dont really care how high up in a ladder i am, i have a pretty top doc, paragon 100, high tier dps, but im not interested in constantly geting tiny upgrades to boost my way to the top of some arbitrary list. it was neat seeing progression for a while but i dont care much anymore, i know im decent.

but who will i play with? afterall, who plays non-ladder characters in D2? very few people.

this means that everyone who goes to the ladder will no longer be people i can play my p100 with, or even my monk, it invalidates all old gear.
afterall; you cannot have non-ladder characters playing with ladder characters any more than you can have softcore mixing with hardcore. imagine if as soon as a buddy of mine hit inferno on the ladder, he pairs up with me. i could quite literally carry anyone on mp5, and in that way, rush him to 100. that would invalidate any ladder statistics on levels, and he would also have huge mf and the *potential* to find better gear than the rest.

EDIT: a good way to do it, would be to reset the ladder the same idea items 2.0 comes out. it'll be like a brand new game at a time i would imagine all the die hards will be sick of it.

I think you hit on the 2 main points why there isn't and is a ladder reset in D3...

1st... There isn't a Ladder in D3, because... Having a ladder reset on a regular basis invalidates any characters & gear that was gained prior to that reset (i.e. it's worthless). This would be havoc to a game trying to keep any type of casual player base (if that is in their interest).

& 2nd... There is a Ladder in D3, because... Every time there is an itemization patch, or expansion, it creates a 'reset'. These will never be normally scheduled, and will be much further apart than any 'season'... but it will be a reset.

All the.complaining on the.main forums for ladder of more often than not originating from.casual.players. they want a purge to catch up...only to play.and quit in a few weeks!

I am very happy to hear that at least you feel casual players wont like a ladder de facto purge as well
Reply Quote

All the.complaining on the.main forums for ladder of more often than not originating from.casual.players. they want a purge to catch up...only to play.and quit in a few weeks!

I am very happy to hear that at least you feel casual players wont like a ladder de facto purge as well

Well, it's one point of view...

They (the casuals) want a ladder season, but when they realize they can never get to the top, or compete with the (for lack of other words) 'hardcore' players... they'll quit, for good. Particularly since their goal was to be on the ladder.

Remove the "ladder" completely, and you've removed that goal. Hopefully it would shift to something a little more long term, and thus keeping the casual player coming back.

I think Blizzard looked at it from many POV's, above included, and came to the conclusion that the cons outweighed the pros.
Reply Quote
06/19/2013 09:48 AMPosted by MisterAjikko
for those who are against ladder, so what are you guys still playing the game for? If you are worrying about not able to climb up to the top, what are the things that keep you playing this game that is meaningful in this current state of game?

hardcore mode is still meaningful as of now
Edited by Shdwflare#1288 on 6/19/2013 11:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
but not everyone likes to play hardcore.
Reply Quote
ladder would be playable and more enticing if when playing ladder Or in a current ladder season you would receive a 25-45% xp bonus so game play feels rewarding and quicker. cause many people don't have to time to spend hours and hours into a fresh character. and once a ladder season finishes the character is dropped into non-ladder and becomes a plain old normal character.

new ladders every 9 months, or 15months. i remember hearing a new ladder was gunna start for diablo 2, and i'd gear down to play the game once again even if its been months since i've touched the game. the race to lv 99 was AMAZING!!!
Reply Quote
06/19/2013 09:48 AMPosted by MisterAjikko

Improving my characters for future content. My gear might become irrelevant, but I'm still going to have "more relevant" gear that allows me to farm faster than those who left. Once the itemization patch comes out, (unless RNG turns a bad eye on you) we'll be miles ahead.

I have no doubt that they will add more PvE end-game content. Perhaps an arena with PvE challenges (that I've been proposing for a long time now). Perhaps PvP (I don't care much about it). Perhaps it shall be something else.

I don't play self found, but I do not spend my days in the AH. I use it to flip the AH to make gold... for the future, or buy gear because I can't find anything for a specific build that requires very specific items.
Reply Quote
06/18/2013 02:56 PMPosted by Smpwast3d
What's the reason you'd like to see ladders in Diablo III?

Because ladders are what kept Diablo 2 competitive, and without one, the game simply doesn't feel like the Diablo I grew to love. I've been playing the Diablo series since 1996, and as a vet pro gamer, I will tell you that you need to put this in the game or your game will die.

Ladder was not even implemented until patch 1.10. The game stopped being fun after patch 1.09. How long did you play d2 for? I'm guessing not that long? This game doesn't need a damn ladder, it needs something new! Please don't ruin d3 with a ladder....be creative bliz, come up with NEW ideas for a NEW game
Reply Quote
If you are not playing both hardcore and softcore inside out and have gone through all content leveled all characters to p100, then please do not say "we don't need a ladder in this game".

if you insist on rejecting the "option" of having a ladder mode, then please propose to remove anything that "you think" "we don't" need as well... such as "we don't" need hardcore because "we" need something new. Or, "we don't" need anything that D2 already has because it's "old".

in short, if you don't like ladder, and you insist on rejecting to have ladder as an "option", please propose to remove "hardcore mode" <- "the option" in the game too if you haven't played hardcore mode, nor have you been thinking of going to play it in the future.

thank you!
Reply Quote
forgot to mention my opinion about ladder or not:

having ladder to this game is just the beginning to level up this 2-star game to more stars.

I want this game to be a superset of D2. D2 has hardcore mode, softcore mode, ladder and non ladder for them. so basically 4 modes.

This game has only two modes.

I don't like to call it the third installment of the series while it has only a subset of D2.
It should at least be a proper subset if not superset-- which is what it should have been.

besides this particular feature, there are way more things that are only a subset of D2, and it's ashamed to be called D3.

be it ladder mode. self-found league. then work on more things that can turn this game to be a superset of D2, pretty please!
Reply Quote
If you are not playing both hardcore and softcore inside out and have gone through all content leveled all characters to p100, then please do not say "we don't need a ladder in this game".

if you insist on rejecting the "option" of having a ladder mode, then please propose to remove anything that "you think" "we don't" need as well... such as "we don't" need hardcore because "we" need something new. Or, "we don't" need anything that D2 already has because it's "old".

in short, if you don't like ladder, and you insist on rejecting to have ladder as an "option", please propose to remove "hardcore mode" <- "the option" in the game too if you haven't played hardcore mode, nor have you been thinking of going to play it in the future.

thank you!

LOL what are you talking about?
Reply Quote
Yeah ladder must be implented , It is a part of keeping alive diablo 2 dont forget it
Reply Quote
Tha is what most ladder supporters want, just for their own selfish reasons.
Ladder resets and AH removals do not help the game in any way at all.....

Cold hard everything reset is definitely good for the game (if that's what you're into). Sure you can shard your gear, give away your gold and delete your characters and start over on your own, but with the gold you pick up from your first normal play through you can afford a lower grade skorn or echoing fury for 50k. A healthy upgrade from that 50k weapon might cost you 500mil.

In the early stages of a ladder reset 50k might net you a 300-400 dps weapon. People won't be salvaging or leaving every single rare they find as they will be selling on the auction house. 800 dps weapons are gg, higher mps are hard because overall damage and defence are lower until enough great gear hits the market for the good gear to become relatively lower in price.

The overall game play is imo at its best during the first few months after a reset. We didn't really get to see it in all its glory when the game came out because everything was new and a lot of it was bad and so many changes have been made since. A ladder season beginning with the itemization patch and you could almost call it the end of D3 beta.
Reply Quote
I wasn't a fan of ladder only runewords either, because I'd have killed to make spirit and insight in single player. They should have no added content for ladder mode, just the fresh starts and the experience ladder. This way people who are not interested in it don't feel that they are forced to join it.

The only thing I would add is an experience penalty on deaths on ladder mode only. That would give a bit more meaning to the ladder for those trying to climb the ranks.
Reply Quote
Pleaseeeeeee please please give us a ladder in D3!
Reply Quote
A ladder system would be a wonderful update to the game. I find the thrill of a resetting economy very exciting. I could log in and start over with everyone playing ladder. I wouldn't force it on, I would make it optional and have a non ladder realm where people can play without worry of a reset. That way its the best of both worlds as the only real objection I have seen is that it will take people away from non ladder as a lot of people want a ladder in the game, which is a silly argument as I have seen enough people who don't care for ladder. I say make a ladder, hardcore and regular, and let those who want to play it go ahead but don't punish those who don't want to play it. Set an amount of time for a reset, 4-6 months is usually good, and when it resets send those players to non ladder. There could be prizes for the race such as titles and achievements for first to paragon 100 or highest dps at end of ladder, or it could just be for bragging rights. In the end a ladder gives a game a ton of replay value and increases its lifespan. D3 sorely needs a ladder to add a breath of life into the game!
Reply Quote
We're happy to collect your feedback on ladder systems, and Lylirra reminded me of a thread on general discussion where we're doing just that. For those of you that want to share feedback on what should be in the ladder system, please use this [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9245745553?page=11#211"]thread [/url]to share your ideas. Here is a quote from Lylirra with some great questions to help get you started.

What exactly would you want from a ladder system? For example:

- How would you ideally like that system to work?

- How long would you like the resets to be?

- How many characters do you think players should be able to create for ladders? (Do you think they should take up the existing slots you have?)

- Should there be an auction house for ladder characters?

- Should there be any special items or perks for ladder-only characters? If so, what kind?

- What kind of restrictions, if any, should be placed on ladder characters?

- Do think players should be able to bring their ladder characters into "non-ladder" once a reset is complete?

- Is it necessary for ladders to be competitive, or is it enough for players to just see for themselves how far they can go on their own?

- Why would ladders improve your in-game experience?

Race to total elitekills/paragon level/EXP gained top of ladder.
6 months.
1 character, doesnt take up character slot.
yes AH please. RMAH too for those kind of players. thats what diablo is about, trading GG loot.
at certain amount of exp player gains bonus "item" to allow to trade in for random unique item or maybe a slot to place "cosmetic item" found while playing.
no restrctions, only can trade and play with other ladder players.
No, character is wiped and placed into a similar style like the fallen heroes page, with the rank and exp gained/elite kills/paragon shown and items you ended with.
to be able to see your rank is important, makes people want to play more and is good for the game because it encourages more gameplay.
Personally I dont think it will make the game better for myself, as I may feel like I lost everything I worked one year for, but it could be an idea to get more people interested in competitive gameplay back into the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]