Diablo® III

[Idea] Exploding aggro magnet sentries

I don't feel sentries do enough for DH for their hate cost. I'm disregarding the secondary effects of which only guardian turret is worth anything anyway.

For 30 hate there is an undirected spray of damage which will never kill a single white mob above MP6. This is also compounded by the fact that sentry damage doesn't use 2 of the 3 trifecta stats and therefore a lot of DH gear is wasted on the.

I think it would go a long way to balance these out, and make them more useful if they could be an aggro magnet for the enemies, and explode when the enemies beat them down (They could be given hitpoints), using full crit stats for the explosion only, the sentry fire could continue to use non-crit damage and could be the 'aggro shot'

This would also help DH who don't want to be so reliant on gloom, and help the glass and kiting playstyles as well as giving an interesting new play mechanic to the DH.

Chains of torment sentry could be redesigned to have the chains pull enemies toward it for this purpose as well, much like the mine towers in A3 do.
Edited by Otaking#1972 on 6/15/2013 1:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Neat idea :o)

However, I would argue against the idea that sentries don't do any noticeable damage.

With a bow, high attack speed and lots of flat dmg, Spitfire Turrets kick out a tremendous amount of damage.

That being said, I REALLY wish their was a rune that would proc skills.

Imagine the build possibilities if you could knockback with a turret, or slow something from cold dmg.
Edited by Tropicalypso#1473 on 6/15/2013 1:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I actually disagree. I think sentries are overpowered. For one, they're invulnerable.

Sure, their range is limited and they can only fire at 1 (or 2) target(s) at once, but they don't get killed/destroyed unlike pets and summons so it's basically FREE DPS while you run around in circles casting MFD or caltroops.

Of course, for sentries to be good, there's a particular build one requires; bow instead of xbow, lots of attack speed, dex and average damage.
Reply Quote
Overall a bad idea...

Gloom is used for people that TANK not for anyone that KITE or STEP, you are better off using Shadow Glide to help you move away from mobs...

As long as you are attacking you are draw attention towards you.
come and read a bit about this http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9281268973
then tell me that if sentries become destroyed it will not waste your Hatred.
Reply Quote
I don't feel sentries do enough for DH for their hate cost. I'm disregarding the secondary effects of which only guardian turret is worth anything anyway.

For 30 hate there is an undirected spray of damage which will never kill a single white mob above MP6. This is also compounded by the fact that sentry damage doesn't use 2 of the 3 trifecta stats and therefore a lot of DH gear is wasted on the.

Personally I think sentries are just fine. When done properly, they put out a ton of single target damage. I love the damage output of my sentries and wouldn't run without it.

Sentries aren't suppose to take advantage of the main trifecta stats (cd and cc). That's the point, and a huge reason why the ruby was redesigned the way it was to open up other possible build opportunities that isn't solely based on how much CD you stack.

Sentries however take advantage of nearly all your damage buffs, such as steady aim, cull the weak, archery (2h bow), mark of death from both calamity and the skill, etc. They also benefit from a SOJ against E's by a tremendous amount, since they never cared about the CD/CC on your ring anyways and that 30% bonus is huge.

My only gripe about sentries is the cooldown. I have yet to find a reason why they should have as long of a cooldown as they do, or even a cooldown at all. If blizzard did away with that, it will open up more strategic options with sentry play.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]