Diablo® III

Amassing a small army for the doctor

I apologize if this has already been covered, a cursory search didn't pull up anything too specific.

I've been playing my WD from day 1, and I have to say I do miss my druid. That said, I've been discovering more ways to recreate the feeling of an army surrounding me which is what I had originally hoped for.
Between Fetish Sycophants, the Garg, Manitou and the dogs I can get the usual amount of pets on the screen. With the enchantress and the maximus I get one more, however with the rules being that sets don't apply to followers I'm at a loss of any other way to have a large standing army.

Even at 230k DPS they really don't do much more than keep enemies busy (outside of the Garg). It makes playing MP1 and 2 really funny, the pets kill most things outright, but above that they start to just be more of a shield than anything else.

I don't want to take a huge DPS drop to get a skeleton, or any other set on my doctor so....

My question was has anyone found any other unique combinations to amass a small army that actually does damage on any higher MP levels?
Reply Quote
Beyond stacking crazy attack speed w/sycophants(I have 2.65 attacks per second), there is no way to make your pets do realistic amounts of damage.

However, Blizz has announced that in a future patch they'll include a legendary Voodoo hat that'll increase pet damage by a percentage, so hopefully that'll help.
Reply Quote
I've recently been playing with BBV jungle drums and MC Paranoia to help make the pets viable during elite fights, and I've found that it seems to make them a lot more useful.

But I run with a thing of the deep and grave injustice to make the cooldowns not so painful. I was surprised to actually see a reflects elite killed by my Garg while I was waiting for my spirit walk to cooldown.

I'd like to see the hat, but for those of us who use a full zuni set for the mana regen I'm not sure it's a trade off I could live with.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Shaman
I honestly think this is why there's still room for the necromancer in diablo 3; witch doctors just aren't pet masters.

I really, really like that the casting side of this class was fleshed out quite well because I honestly don't usually like pets. However, before the "pet buffs" I had amassed life regen and thorns gear for a mass pet build that looked something like http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WYiTPQ!agV!bYZZZb

I had bleed on a weapon and cc effects on every piece of armor. I could only get like 3500 armor and 300 resist all with 20k hp, ~2k life regen and 8k thorns. It worked fine for act I but I couldn't really do act II effectively.

Quite fun, but not good. I think a lot of people would really like to make a "swarm doctor," but the items just don't exist and the pet skills aren't very well-designed at all.

Blizzard has their work cut out for them, haha.
Reply Quote
Important points to remember when maximizing pet damage:

1) Pet damage does not benefit from Crit Damage, they always crit at 50%
2) Pet damage scales with attack speed, their attack frequency does not change but they'll do more damage.
3) Pet damage sucks.

Taken this info into consideration I would recommend the following:

• Choose a weapon with +Intelligence and a Socket, put a Ruby in the socket
  • Attack speed in moderation is good, pets will do more damage, and you'll proc fetishes more often
  • Use Plague Bats, it procs twice as many fatishes and does great damage. I would not recommend CoB for a pets build. You'll need to have enough mana regen to sustain PB
  • PtV is meh if you are using Plague Bats, it is possible to use this with something like spiders + bears build
  • You'll still have to do the majority of the damage so don't completely neglect crit and crit damage.
  • Consider using a Stone of Jordan
Edited by Wachati#1647 on 6/18/2013 4:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the insight, I switched some of my gear to focus on IAS and more raw damage however it seems im doomed as my build is towards crit damage. Even using a build where I have 330kdps and 1.95 attacks per second - on mp1 the pets still cant tear anything apart at a reasonable rate. I might swap out my emerald for a ruby a little later, but it seems an uphill battle.

I was unaware that crit damage did not help pets at all, wish I had done some more research earlier on....

I just miss the way i used to be able to run though levels mindlessly and let the pets do most of the work, i guess the times.. they are a changing.
Reply Quote
A build like this one is a lot of fun -

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#cTUVdY!YVZ!bYZcaZ

mega-buffed army of knife-stabbing fetishes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]