Diablo® III

Improving Companion and Sentry.

Hello everybody.
My name is Yuri and I have been playing a Demon Hunter since release day. I guess it should not be news to anyone here that Demon Hunters are lagging slightly behind the rest of classes in terms of EDPS, and while I would argue that the issue is not in Demon Hunter class alone, we still need some help. I follow EU and US forums on a daily basis along with Diablofans and try to read as many suggestion for improvement threads as I can, what I see for the most part is that people would like to see our skills to get a flat % increase in damage and that would fix most of our issues. While I dont outright disagree on that front, I think our core issue in terms of EDPS lies in the fact that we cant actively use several offensive skills at the same time unlike say Barbarians and Wizards, and while pushing our skill damage % to levels where it makes up what we are missing could be an easy solution, I think reducing the effectiveness of certain borderline broken specs and having us meet them halfway would be a better way to go. So that got me thinking of where do we have most potential for imporovement and I quickly decided that Companion and Sentry skills are perfect candidates for that. Both of these skills have a lot of potential that, I believe, has so far been completely wasted. So I decided to write down some suggestions of my own on how to make Demon Hunters more on par with other classes and see what you guys think about it. Before I go on, I'd like to ask you to read through all the suggestions I'v made because some things will make a lot more sense after you have read through it all and see the bigger picture.

Let's start with Companion skill.
First thing first, in order for the follow suggestions to Companion to work, 2 things need to happen:

1. All companions should recieve an overall durability buff so that they are up to par with Witch Doctor's Gargantuan and make them all targetable by enemies. While some might think that it is better to just make them all untargetable, I believe it would be too much of "push the button and forget" and that is no fun in terms of gameplay.

2. Allow all companions to gain Half of your Critical Hit Chance and Critical Hit Damage (Attack Speed remains unchanged), doing this will allow those Demon Hunters who do not focus on Attack Speed and White Damage to still make use of Companion skill without feeling like they are loosing out on too much damage. Also let all companion runes have 0.25 Proc Coefficient in order to have some synergy with Night Stalker, current and future Legendaries.

Companion.
Cost: Remains unchanged.
Cooldown: Remains unchanged.
(The raven can now be targeted by enemies.)
Summon a raven companion. Your raven companion will periodically peck at enemies for 100% (Up from 38%) of your weapon damage as Physical. The companion gains Half of your Critical Hit Chance and Critical Hit Damage.

Spider Rune.
Summon a spider instead of a raven. The spider's attacks Slow the movement of enemies by 60% for 2 seconds. In addition, while active, the spider reduces the duration of control impairing effects on you and your allies by 50%.

Bat Rune.
(The Bat can now be targeted by enemies.)
Summon a bat instead of a raven. The bat grants you 2 (Down from 3, dont panic just yet, keep reading!) Hatred per second. In addition, while active, the bat increases the primary resource generation of you and your allies:

Barbarian: 8% Fury generated.
Demon Hunter: 1 Hatred generated per second.
Monk: 12% Spirit generated.
Witch Doctor: 4 Mana generated per second.
Wizard: 0,5 Arcane Power generated per second.

That's right, I took these numbers from Templar's Inspire, they can of course be tweaked but honestly I dont see why the Bat shouldnt be able to provide the same bonuses to a party. Anyway, moving on.

Boar Rune.
Summon a boar instead of a raven. The boar increases your Armor by 15% (Changed from 310 Life per second). In addition, while active, the boar increases All Resistance of you and your allies by 15%.

Ferret Rune.
(Ferrets can now be targeted by enemies.)

Now, I have 2 options in mind for this rune:

1. Summon ferrets instead of a raven. The ferrets collect gold for you (if this is the case, their movement speed needs to be increased so that they can keep up) and increase gold found on monsters by 20% (Up from 10%, must work above the cap otherwise it wont be viable at Paragon 100!).

2. Summon ferrets instead of a raven. The ferrets increase your Pick Up Radius by 5 and gold found on monsters by 20% (Same thing here as above).

In addition, while active, the ferrets increase Pick Up Radius by 7 and gold found on monsters by 30% (again, must work above the cap!) for you and your allies. (This stacks with the above, so the Demon Hunter who is using ferrets gets 12 more Pick Up Radius, or 7 if you go with option 1, and 50% more Gold Find.)

Wolf Rune.
Summon a wolf instead of a raven. The wolf attacks for 130% (up from 94%) of your weapon damage as Physical. In addition, while active, the wolf increases all damage dealt and movement speed of you and your allies by 7%. Movement speed works above the 25% cap.

That being said, we now need a passive should we choose to further support our companion:

Remove Hot Pursuit passive (it is, in fact, one of the most boring and lacking passives in the game and I would not feel any love loss if it was scratched) and replace it with:

Bound by Hatred.
Improves your companion Life and Resistance to all damage by 20% and allows it to take full advantage of your Critical Hit Chance and Critical Hit Damage.
In addition, whenever your companion dies, you gain "Thirst for Vengeance" buff which increases your Hatred Regeneration by 50% for 10 seconds. This effect can not be triggered by resummoning your existing companion.
Edited by Yuri#2822 on 6/16/2013 10:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Now let us move on to Sentry.

In order to make Sentry more viable across the board I would apply same thing here as I did for Companion and that is allow it to gain Half of your Critical Hit Chance and Critical Damage, again, doing this will allow those Demon Hunters who do not focus on Attack Speed and White Damage to still make use of Sentry skill without feeling like they are loosing out on too much damage. Also let all sentry runes have 0.25 Proc Coefficient in order to have some synergy with Night Stalker, current and future Legendaries.

Sentry.
Cost: 20 (Down from 30, as it is right now I believe the cost is too high and if we are to use in conjunction with other damaging skills it needs to go down. We are a mobile class, battles have a tendency to move and Sentry doesnt have legs so the loss of Hatred spent on a Sentry if a battle shifts shouldnt be so harsh.)
Cooldown: Remains unchanged.
Drop a turret on the ground. The turret begins firing at nearby enemies for 175% weapon damage. Lasts 30 seconds. You may have 2 turrets active at a time.

Spitfire Rune.
The turret will also fire homing rockets aimed at random nearby targets for 80% (Up from 30%, this rune needs a simple overall buff and I think this would cut the cake and make Ballistics more appealing.) weapon damage as Fire.

Vigilant Rune.
Reduces the cooldown of Sentry to 6 seconds and reduces the Hatred cost of Sentry to 15 Hatred. (Looking at this rune made me feel like something was missing, it was simply not appealing enough and I think reducing the cost by 5 Hatred makes Custom Engineering really shine when paired with this rune. Faster and cheaper setup.)

Chain of Torment Rune.
Ok, I dont know about you guys but to me this rune takes a decent and interesting skill and turns it into something far less appealing. It has it uses yes, like in bottlenecks and such but I believe to puts more limitations on mobility than what it offers in return. I would scratch it and replace it with something more interesting and fun:

Booby Trap Rune.
Arms your sentry with explosives, whenever there are 5 or more enemies or an Elite within 10 yards of the sentry, it will explode for 420% Weapon Damage as Fire to all enemies withing 10 yards. The explosives take 10 seconds to arm after deployment. The radius of explosion can further be increased by Pick Up Radius bonuses. Redemploying an existing sentry does not trigger the explosion. The explosion destroys the sentry.

Aid Station Rune.
Heals nearby allies for 4% (Up from 2%, reasoning behind this is the fact that in current state of the game, there is so much damage and healing (through Life Steal for the most part) that 2% is just not enough to make any difference, especially when we players have to stay close to the sentry to get healed which in turns limits our mobility. There has to be a reasonable tradeoff.) of their maximum Life per second. Multiple effects from aid station should stack per Demon Hunter with this skill and rune and not per sentry.

Guardian Turret Rune.
This rune is fine as it is and I wouldnt see the numbers change on this one. I would have it stack the same way as I would see Aid Station do however.

To give us a choice of how we wish to further support Sentry should we choose to do so I suggest that following passives should gain an additional effect:

Granadier: Arms your Sentry skill with explosive bolt heads, improving its primary attack by dealing 30% of your weapon damage as Fire to all enemies within 8 yards of target.
Ballistics: Increases the damage of your Sentry skill by 10%.

Please feel free to comment on these suggestions and if you have any feedback, good or bad. I would however appreciate if these comments would be somewhat constructive.
Thank you very much for reading this.
Edited by Yuri#2822 on 6/16/2013 10:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Good suggestions, but my thoughts on a few of them -

Bat companion shouldn't be changed to a pet that can be killed, it would be too difficult to keep it up in mp10 where there is a high mob density in combination with the 30s cool down (and the fact that rapid fire builds require you to stand still.)

Booby trap is an interesting idea, but the arm time on it is much too long. Should be reduced to 2 or less seconds, and range increased to 14,

Ballistics shouldn't be changed to sentry damage alone. It's a fairly significant dps increase to rapid fire.
same with grenadier, shouldn't be changed to only affecting turrets.
Reply Quote
It would not be more difficult to keep up the Bat than any other companion, as I wrote in the original post, ALL companions should be lifted to equal durability of a Gargantuan.

The changes to Ballistics and Grenadier are not a replacement but something that should be added to those passives, I quote "To give us a choice of how we wish to further support Sentry should we choose to do so I suggest that following passives should gain an additional effect:".

P.S on Booby Trap, the idea is that the Sentry is firing it's standard attack while arming and after it is armed, until it explodes that is.
Edited by Yuri#2822 on 6/16/2013 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If I may..

For Vigilant Watcher rune, REMOVE the cooldown and keep the 30(20 if you like) Hatred Cost. It'll be a bit "tempting" to use as an immediate passive damage dealer ;)

As for Bat, just let it stay as it is.

Or.. sure let them die, but reduce the cooldown to something nice.. 30seconds is too long IMO.

Even 30seconds of recent use then a sudden accidental death, and can't re-cast it due to cooldown is somewhat anooying XD But that's the cost of my stupidity ;)

As for Booby Trap, that's a nice new Sentry. But I LOVE MY CHAINS OF TORMENT. If there's something I'd opt to get removed, its Watcher and Aid Station :P

Though I'd want something different.. one that would suit both Melee and Ranged builds.

Vortex Sentry - well. name pretty much says what it does. It sucks in monsters in x Seconds intervals. It would pretty much work like Leap-Call of Arreat, sucking monsters into the Sentry every now and then. It can be balanced by the intervals

That.. or something that Sentries lack.. Mortar Sentry(suggested this before), simply a sentry that has a FIXED APS but deals AoE damage, or an APS based Sentry that deals WEAKER base damage.

Both sentry ideas will benefit the current RF and non-RF Builds.

But a simple overall buff would be.. just let us place SENTRY on where our CURSOR is.. like the DH will throw the Sentry and it'll deploy where it lands.. More like the Traps of Assassins in D2.
Reply Quote
06/16/2013 10:41 AMPosted by Chrizzle
But a simple overall buff would be.. just let us place SENTRY on where our CURSOR is.. like the DH will throw the Sentry and it'll deploy where it lands.. More like the Traps of Assassins in D2.

While I dont agree much with your ideas, THIS is something I would support 100%.
Reply Quote

While I dont agree much with your ideas, THIS is something I would support 100%.

Why aren't you agreeing? YOU SHOULD AGREE! >_<

Anyways.. yeah, that last bit was the best thing they could do to Sentries.. Even just on Chain of Torment, if they'd give it that bonus.. It'll be GOLDEN.

As for your ideas.. I'll give them a quote by quote blow :)

BIG WALL OF TEXT COMING.

06/16/2013 08:49 AMPosted by Yuri
1. All companions should recieve an overall durability buff so that they are up to par with Witch Doctor's Gargantuan and make them all targetable by enemies. While some might think that it is better to just make them all untargetable, I believe it would be too much of "push the button and forget" and that is no fun in terms of gameplay

While this is nice for me since I usually do Tank Spec, the GC Clan loves their Bats and with their tiny mitigation(not all, still, with their rules, it's not much), Batty will die quick.

2. Allow all companions to gain Half of your Critical Hit Chance and Critical Hit Damage (Attack Speed remains unchanged), doing this will allow those Demon Hunters who do not focus on Attack Speed and White Damage to still make use of Companion skill without feeling like they are loosing out on too much damage. Also let all companion runes have 0.25 Proc Coefficient in order to have some synergy with Night Stalker, current and future Legendaries.

While I'm all out damn sure I'd love this to be implemented.. Its far too over powered.. Not so much if you'll factor in the #1 though since if they can die, then they won't be that OP. Still..

About the 0.25 Proc Coeff, they removed Jagged Spikes, reduced Shuriken and Gas Grenades coeff because of the same reason why you want Companions to get proc coeff.

In short.. its too good to be implemented(doesn't mean I don't want it to) XD

Spider Rune.
Summon a spider instead of a raven. The spider's attacks Slow the movement of enemies by 60% for 2 seconds. In addition, while active, the spider reduces the duration of control impairing effects on you and your allies by 50%.

50% might be too high, 20-30% is more like it since 50% is like.. 2 AFFIX SLOTS free from an item already?

Bat Rune.
Let us keep the 3 Hatred per sec, and then add your suggestion.. It won't hurt us that way and would just make DHs somehow.. good in a team.. But. BIG BUT. Since you're saying that it'll affect the whole team instead of just the DH.. Wouldn't a 4-Man DH with Bats out regain 8 Hatred from 4 Bats alone? That's a whole lot of Hatred..

Boar Rune.
No problem with that.. Boar dies fast anyways if you don't stack mitigation and if you're in high MPs. So an additional 15% Armor might not be that bad.. even if you add it into the current one without removing any of it.

Ferret Rune
Seems nice.. an increase in their Movespeed is really needed ONLY when getting Gold but reverts to normal movement speed when attacking monsters XD Pickup Radius bonus is good.. but it might be a reason that some DHs might frown upon it since others likes to leave Globes around and come back to it when needed. SOME. ^_^

Wolf Rune.
That could work.. or.. just let it get the same APS as the DH.. Even that alone might make it tempting to use as a bonus passive DPS.

Bound by Hatred.
Can't say much about this.. but it seems nice..

06/16/2013 08:50 AMPosted by Yuri
In order to make Sentry more viable across the board I would apply same thing here as I did for Companion and that is allow it to gain Half of your Critical Hit Chance and Critical Damage, again, doing this will allow those Demon Hunters who do not focus on Attack Speed and White Damage to still make use of Sentry skill without feeling like they are loosing out on too much damage. Also let all sentry runes have 0.25 Proc Coefficient in order to have some synergy with Night Stalker, current and future Legendaries.
Same comment regarding the Companion buff.. It might be too OP.. Even more than that of Companion since Sentries don't die.

If you'll let it have a proc coeff.. it'll trigger MfD-ME too, and trigger NS. Imagine 3 CoTs or better yet, 3 Spitfire Turrets firing 2 rockets.. since it'll have proc coeffs too.. well.. you get the drift.

Spitfire Rune.
I welcome that XD Kinda high but who cares, I WANT MORE :) or.. 50.. 60% Maybe?

Vigilant Rune.
refer to my previous suggestion regarding this.

Chain of Torment Rune.
refer to my previous suggestion regarding this. And.. it has its uses.. It's unique on its way too.

Aid Station Rune.
If on a solo play, given the current meta, even with 4%.. I doubt it'll get much use.. DHs generally have 30-50k HP(higher than that with "good" DPS is not part of the "general") that's 1.2k-2k HP per second.. in which it ticks every 0.5seconds to 600-1k per tick.. It looks big but like you've said, monsters deal WAY MORE damage than what it can heal/give bonus.. reason why few(if any) uses this rune.

Granadier
This can make it more tempting to use, 3x Spitfire + Grenadier Passive remake? I LIKE.

PS: I'm open for any criticism :)

EDIT: What if.. they make a NEW Sentry.. one that walks? The "VIGILANT WATCHER" fits that description more.. it watches over the DH.

So.. make it MOBILE. Able to move. Reduce the damage if needed. Seeing mobile Sentries would be awesome though.. :) It'll be a pain to implement Graphics-wise though since they'd introduce new graphics and animations. *sigh*
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 6/16/2013 11:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Are you Russian?
Reply Quote
06/16/2013 11:53 AMPosted by VocaloidNyan
Are you Russian?

Me guess you ask 'coz name? XD
Reply Quote
In the May interview, Wyatt mentioned a possible buff of DH companions in the future.
Reply Quote
Chrizzle. I dont see how it is OP to have them get 0,5 of your Critical Hit Chance and Critical Hit Damage. Having them do that wont change the fact that Attack Speed and stuff like Ruby will net you more damage than CC/CD. Having skills that are limited to a certain stat or stats doesnt create more diversity, it limits it. Yes, my suggestions for companion is based on the idea to have them all targetable, so having them all immortal changes everything and doesnt work with what I am suggesting. If our companions get a solid buff in durability that is not flat out based on your characters defensive stats then, glasscanon or not, it should be viable for any build.
Reply Quote
06/17/2013 07:18 AMPosted by Yuri
If our companions get a solid buff in durability that is not flat out based on your characters defensive stats then, glasscanon or not, it should be viable for any build.

How much Buff in durability are we talking about here? ^_^

If its somewhat like WD Pets wherein they have Force Armor(I think, I'm not sure), wherein they can sustain 3hits before the barrier disappears then their HP gets depleted.. It might have its use.

Make it so that they have some innate Dodge Chance too or act like a Follower in terms of AoE/Environment Damage reduction then maybe they'll stand a chance.

That or give them their current mitigation that is based from the DH and then add the durability of the WD Pets..

AFAIK, WD Pets, like the Zombie Dogs' survival are also based from the WD's mitigation.. + The bonus. Sorry. I don't really have intensive knowledge regarding WD >_<
Reply Quote
View profile
Are you russian?

Or you like yuri things (japanese)?

Nyan confused.
Reply Quote
If our companions get a solid buff in durability that is not flat out based on your characters defensive stats then, glasscanon or not, it should be viable for any build.

How much Buff in durability are we talking about here? ^_^

If its somewhat like WD Pets wherein they have Force Armor(I think, I'm not sure), wherein they can sustain 3hits before the barrier disappears then their HP gets depleted.. It might have its use.

Make it so that they have some innate Dodge Chance too or act like a Follower in terms of AoE/Environment Damage reduction then maybe they'll stand a chance.

That or give them their current mitigation that is based from the DH and then add the durability of the WD Pets..

AFAIK, WD Pets, like the Zombie Dogs' survival are also based from the WD's mitigation.. + The bonus. Sorry. I don't really have intensive knowledge regarding WD >_<

I used WD Gargantuan as an example and more of a guideline rather than actual numbers, I guess I should have put it differently but oh well. How much? Well, to a point where we dont instantly die but not tanks, it is something that has to be tested to a point where it feels right. "Ok, I just killed a pack of Elites with molten and arcane beams and my pet died once, I think that is ok." You get it? :)

Nyan needs not to be confused anymore because Yuri is neither of those two.
Edited by Yuri#2822 on 6/17/2013 8:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If you'd look into some Vids, there are some vids wherein they'd let Boar Companion do the tanking in SB-Kulle runs.. I haven't seen it but if believe that's true.. Now if companions will be that durable, then that'll be nice XD
Reply Quote
View profile
Yuri gets a Nyan (>^^)>
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]