Diablo® III

Please Clarify This For Me

In the console version of Diablo, will multiplayer same screen play be limited only to local co-op?

Here's the scenario: my wife's brother really wants to play this game with my wife and I. My wife and I will be playing co-op on our PS3 while he sits across town on his own PS3. As I understand it, my wife and I will have to "share" our loot that drops and we will be stuck on the same screen with one another regardless of what we choose to do. If I teleport back to town, then so does she. If I decide to go north, she has to move north with me, etc.

As far as her brother goes, I have some questions. If my wife and I teleport back to town, will he just stay where he is? Can he wander off the screen from she and I or will he be forced to stay with us? I was very excited about all of the announcements of split screen multiplayer and sorta bummed to hear that it's all going to be same screen play, but I will have to live with the cards that are dealt.

If someone can answer these questions for me, it will be most appreciated. Thanks!
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Here's the scenario: my wife's brother really wants to play this game with my wife and I. My wife and I will be playing co-op on our PS3 while he sits across town on his own PS3. If my wife and I teleport back to town, will he just stay where he is? Can he wander off the screen from she and I or will he be forced to stay with us?

In this scenario, her brother would not be forced to go back to town, and could remain the battlefield if he wanted. When a coop game has a group made of local and online members, the local players are tethered to the same screen, but the other members of the party are not.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
In the console version of Diablo, will multiplayer same screen play be limited only to local co-op?
In your example, yes, you and your wife would be sharing the same screen when you play local co-op on your PS3, and your wife's brother would see a different screen from his side of town. His character would not be linked to your character's location, and he could freely explore other areas of the map or teleport back to town without impacting you or your wife's characters.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
*high-fives goatman!*
Reply Quote
i like how you blues havent answered anything regarding the pc version of this game in weeks. then i see a very rare spawn of a (jay wilson) double it blue post about the play station version. which if i was a betting man i would take the bet that the play station version of diablo wont even sell 25% of how many copies the pc version of diablo sold. /thread
Reply Quote
06/17/2013 11:33 AMPosted by WarLorD
i like how you blues havent answered anything regarding the pc version of this game in weeks. then i see a very rare spawn of a (jay wilson) double it blue post about the play station version. which if i was a betting man i would take the bet that the play station version of diablo wont even sell 25% of how many copies the pc version of diablo sold. /thread

+1000000000

where is the pc versions support? or even working servers? no we just get ignored while blizz sell their last shed of decency for a few quick console bucks -_-
Reply Quote
here is the scenario, you say that the next part of a universally loved franchise will be released "when it is ready" you then release it with almost half of the features removed, in an unplayable beta state, a year down the line when it seems that the game might be playable you "fix" the rubberbanding and many people cannot play the game, two weeks later you go onto stage at E3 and announce that the console version gets the features the pc version DESERVED! so in this scenario what would blizzard do for its pc BETA testers? maybe pay us the minimum wage of our country of residence for each hour played? OR just fix the damn game!!
Reply Quote
+1000000000

where is the pc versions support? or even working servers? no we just get ignored while blizz sell their last shed of decency for a few quick console bucks -_-

What PC version, they already shut the servers down, right?

Seriously tho, just imagine 10 years from now, you'll still be able to install and play Diablo 1 and 2 but it's very possible that the servers that support this game will be shut down. It's sorta sad that we pay for licences to play games nowadays instead of owning the game for the rest of our life and being able to play it anytime we'd like in the future.
Reply Quote
http://www.h3xed.com/pc-gaming/all-your-favorite-bobby-kotick-quotes-in-one-place

i think i just died inside...
Reply Quote
This just in!!! its the same crappy game that's on PC.
Reply Quote
06/17/2013 11:24 AMPosted by Vaeflare
*high-fives goatman!*

let us change our avatars!
Reply Quote
*high-fives goatman!*

All the serious issues on the forums and you respond to meaningless trash...
Reply Quote
*high-fives goatman!*

Wow... imagine the goatman and yourself posted a contradicting response, that will be more epic than Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
06/17/2013 11:55 AMPosted by NethKhadar
here is the scenario, you say that the next part of a universally loved franchise will be released "when it is ready" you then release it with almost half of the features removed, in an unplayable beta state, a year down the line when it seems that the game might be playable you "fix" the rubberbanding and many people cannot play the game, two weeks later you go onto stage at E3 and announce that the console version gets the features the pc version DESERVED! so in this scenario what would blizzard do for its pc BETA testers? maybe pay us the minimum wage of our country of residence for each hour played? OR just fix the damn game!!

If they had held off releasing it, you'd just complain that it was taking a long time. There is nothing that Blizzard can do to appease you people.
Reply Quote
With this day and age, being linked to the same screen is archaic at best. You probably should change it to be split screen and allow full access to the map even if playing on the same system. If you think its ok to force folks to the same screen, your fooling yourselves.
Edited by Urgle#1622 on 6/21/2013 7:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/21/2013 07:20 PMPosted by Urgle
With this day and age, being linked to the same screen is archaic at best. You probably should change it to be split screen and allow full access to the map even if playing on the same system. If you think its ok to force folks to the same screen, your fooling yourselves.

In this day and age you'd expect more people to understand the hardware for which games run on; and learn the differences between you're and your.

Don't be so hasty to jump down developers throats without knowing the facts before hand.

You simply can't make something split screen just because you feel as though it's a modern design choice.

There are a lot of factors involved in terms of technical choices, and design choices:

-Everytime you split the screen you have a new camera which creates A LOT more renderer and processing over head. (in some cases 4 times or more of draws on screen) If they did this for Diablo the performance would suffer they'd have to really really redesign everything from the ground up, new levels, effects and all that.

- When you have split screen how to handle the UI? For something like Diablo with an inventory system that it has, it'd be a nightmare to cram all that UI stuff in to a split screen, I wouldn't even want to think what nightmare it'd be to design UI to work with 4 split screens.
Reply Quote
Ps3 is surprisingly powerful my friend. its doable. And correcting folks online is pretty pointless since noone cares about that !@#$
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]